Page 1 of 1

The Adventure

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:48 pm
by simonthompson
Bolton, New Hampshire is not what would be called a pretty town. The banks of the river that runs through it are lined not with attractive mansions or green parkland, but instead with small warehouses and grimy factories. Much of the town has a tidy but undoubtedly functional and somewhat gritty look to it. However there are a few streets near the municipal centre of Bolton where the more well-to-do inhabitants reside, and the residence of Harrison Holst's uncle, the well known author Howard Holst, is on one such thoroughfare, a leafy avenue of around twenty or so small villas, each slightly set back from the road with large gardens at the rear.

The taxi carrying Harrison and his friend John Wessells dropped them both off directly outside the house, before setting off on the seven mile journey back to Arkham.

For courtesy’s sake Harrison rang the door bell before letting himself in with the key his uncle had provided him with, and crossed the threshold closely followed by his companion.

As they stepped into the hallway an elderly man in a wheelchair appeared from a doorway.

“Ah Harrison my boy! Good to see you, and I assume this is your friend Mr Wessells. How do you do? Please excuse my condition, I should with any luck be out of this damned contraption in a few weeks.”

With that, Harrison’s uncle beckons them to follow him into the drawing room from which he’d emerged.

The room, like the rest of the house, is elegant and comfortable. A large bookcase lines one wall, and in the bay window overlooking the road outside a dining table has been set for dinner. As the investigators settle themselves into comfy armchairs by the unlit fireplace, Holst senior pours them all a stiff scotch each.

“A perk of knowing the Chief of Police my boy” he says, tapping his nose with his finger. “A small literary notoriety can have its advantages”.

“So, Mr Wessells, my nephew tells me you also write?”

Re: The Adventure

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:21 pm
by jp1885

Harrison greets his uncle warmly, chuckling to himself at the old man's ability to get straight to the point.

While Howard talks to John, he sits back and enjoys the scotch, casting the occasional covetous glance at the old chap's bookcase.

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:40 pm
by HoneyDog
John sips the scotch, hoping to disguise the fact he hates the stuff. He’s genuinely interested in meeting Holst though, and responds readily.

“Yes, I do. I’ve had a few short tales published, and now I’m lucky enough to have my novel under review by a few of the big publishers in New York. It’s a real pleasure for me to meet someone who’s an old hand at this. I’m glad to hear you’ll be recovering soon.”

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:31 pm
by simonthompson
“That's good to hear Mr Wessells. May I call you John by the way? Harrison tells me that this so-called science fiction is your game? I rather hope it’s of an optimistic nature. I’ve had more than thirty years of writing of murder and mayhem, delving the depths of human cruelty and twisted ingenuity, and I tell you straight that if I had my time again I’d be far happier writing pulpy romance.”

The old man looks up as a middle aged woman knocks on the drawing room door and enters carrying a large tray laden with covered dishes of various kinds.

“Ah, Mrs Booth, I see dinner is ready. Gentlemen, let’s seat ourselves at the table. What culinary delights have you prepared for us this evening?”

The housekeeper sets down the dishes in the centre of the table and replies, “Lamb cutlets Mr Holst, served with peas, carrots and the first new potatoes of the season from Mr Corbitt’s garden, with his compliments. He popped them over to me specially this morning while you were working away in your study”.

Holst draws his wheelchair up to table and claps his hands together excitedly. “Excellent Mrs Booth, excellent! Mr Corbitt’s offerings are always a joy but his new potatoes are exceptional. I must remember to thank him once I’m up on my feet again. Such a kindly fellow and a fine neighbour.” He looks across at Wessells. “Harrison here will no doubt confirm that the chance of tasting Mr Corbitt’s fresh strawberries are the real reason for his summertime visits to me.” He winks. “What do you say to that eh, Harrison?”

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:41 pm
by jp1885

"Why else would I bother with such an old reprobate as yourself uncle?" chortles Harrison; happily engaging in such inter-familial banter that might sound disrespectful to outsiders, but is in fact evidence of the mutual fondness between Holst the elder and his nephew.

"How is ol' Corbitt?"
OOC,I assume Harrison is familar with Mr. Corbitt and also with his uncle's wheelchair-bound state?

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:01 am
by simonthompson
“Oh, doing well my boy, doing well. His business seems to be ticking along nicely. He took a trip to Boston for a few days only last week and before he left he stopped by to check there wasn’t anything I needed in the city while he was there. And I think I told you of the very practical assistance he provided when Mrs Booth fetched him immediately after my fall.”

Holst looks aside to John, explaining Mr Corbitt was studying to be a doctor but apparently left medical school to take over the family business when his father died unexpectedly. All before my time here of course.”
Yes,Harrison has exchanged pleasantries with Mr Corbitt on a number of occasions in the nine years that his uncle has lived opposite him. He's always found him to be perfectly friendly and helpful. He does remember his uncle telling him it was Corbitt who ensured he remained stationary but comfortable until an ambulance arrived, following Howard's fall on the porch steps outside his house.

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:17 pm
by jp1885

“It’s good to hear that he’s well; I must remember to thank him for his help after you took your tumble. I don’t think I’ve ever asked you, but what is his family business? Must’ve been pretty lucrative to tempt him out of medical school.” Harrison speculates.

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:24 pm
by simonthompson
“Oh, I think it’s some kind of import or export operation though I’m not certain. His office is down by the docks. He sure seems to do well enough - always well turned out, house well maintained, and he bought a new Tin Lizzie back in ‘21.”

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:34 pm
by jp1885

Harrison whistles appreciatively (though this may have something to do with the meal set before him rather than Corbitt's success).

"We're clearly in the wrong jobs, eh Wessells?"

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:46 pm
by HoneyDog
“Yes sir, John is fine” says John to Holst. “But I don’t write Science Fiction, I’m sorry to correct you. What I’m interested in, I don’t think can be easily explained by science.”

He turns to Harrison.

“No, you’re in the wrong business, my friend. There are only so many gullible recipients of valuable literary heirlooms who don’t really appreciate what they have.”

He winks facetiously at his friend.

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:39 pm
by jp1885

Harrison laughs heartily, nearly choking on a piece of carrot in the process.

“You’ve got me pegged all wrong ol’ pal!” he splutters, grinning.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:37 am
by HoneyDog
John keeps his expression blank, and turns to their host.

“Is there anything we can do for you while we’re here, Mr. Holst”?

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:55 am
by simonthompson
"Oh thank you, but I can manage my boy."

As the dinner progresses the conversation ebbs and flows, and Holst promises to pass on Wessell's details to his literary agent. The meal is very good, the potatoes in particular being extremely tasty.

By 8pm the June sun is sinking lower outside and the tree-lined street is mostly in shade.

Mrs Booth has now left for the day, so despite their offers of help Holst senior leaves the investigators at the table to fetch the dessert course that the housekeeper has prepared and left in the kitchen. During his absence a Model T pulls up outside the house opposite and Harrison recognises the only occupant as Mr Corbitt. The businessman whistles a tune as he walks up the path to his house, carrying a couple of small packages.
Spoiler:
Could you both please make Spot Hidden rolls and pass on your results in the OOC thread (I'd like to limit posts in this one to narrative only)

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:12 am
by HoneyDog
John eyes Corbitt with interest as the man makes his way to the front door.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:14 am
by jp1885
Spot Hidden 75% hard pass,[dice]0[/dice]
”Say, there’s the good neighbour pulling up now.”

Harrison squints as something catches his eye.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:17 am
by simonthompson
Both Harrison and John idly watch as Corbitt strolls up the steps of the porch of his immaculately kept house, the two packages tucked under his arm. Although slightly obscured by the porch screen Corbitt seems to struggle with his key in the lock, and as he does so both parcels slip from his clutch and fall to ground.

The packages are wrapped in what looks like off-white linen cloth. One is about the size of a man’s fist, the other a fairly narrow tube shape perhaps ten inches long. The latter hits the deck of the porch and rolls down a couple of the steps, partly opening as it does so, revealing to both men what appears to be the lower arm and hand of a small child!
Spoiler:
Sanity checks please!
Corbitt casually glances up and down the empty street, then reaches down, picks up and rewraps the parcel before finally opening the door and stepping inside.

Harrison only:
Spoiler:
Harrison also noted that the otherwise well turned out Mr Corbitt has unusually dirty, dusty shoes. The turnups of his trousers are also quite grubby and slightly stained.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:36 am
by HoneyDog
John's mouth drops open.

"Harrison!" he gasps. "Did you see that?"

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:38 am
by jp1885
SAN 70% pass,[dice]0[/dice]
"I sure did pal! I always thought Corbitt was a nice guy, but..."

Swallowing hard, Harrison quickly checks that his uncle is still out of earshot, preparing dessert, before turning back to his friend.

"I sure hope that arm is some kind of macabre model, but did you see the dirt on his shoes? Graveyard dirt maybe? Is this is gonna be Arnoldsburg all over again...?"

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:51 pm
by simonthompson
Holst senior wheels himself back into the room with a small tray of three dessert dishes on his lap.

“Mrs Booth has done us proud, peach mel..”. He stops mid-sentence as he sees the look on John’s face.

“Gods man, you look as if you’ve seen a ghost. You’re as pale as a sheet, whatever’s wrong?”
Spoiler:
John loses 1 Sanity point.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:38 am
by HoneyDog
John looks at Holst grimly.

“Do you have a telephone, Sir? We need to call the police immediately.”

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:34 am
by simonthompson
"Why yes John, in my study. Whatever's the matter?"

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:02 am
by HoneyDog
“Your neighbor just carried a child’s limb into his house.”

He leaves the room, looking for the study and the telephone.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:14 am
by simonthompson
Holst manoeuvres his wheelchair to the table, a look of complete mystification on his face. "What on earth's going on Harrison? What's the heck's got into your young friend?"

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:44 pm
by jp1885

Harrison frowns, sighing deeply.

“We saw your neighbour Corbitt carrying in some shopping into his house. He dropped a package and something, for all the world looking like a child’s severed arm, rolled out.”

He gently manoeuvres the old man away from the window.

“Let us deal with this uncle; I’m sure it’s nothing, but we’ll check to be sure.”

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:48 pm
by simonthompson
Holst looks up at his nephew in astonishment.

Bernard Corbitt? Are you sure of what you saw? You must have been mistaken. He wouldn't hurt a soul, in fact, quite the opposite.

Meanwhile Wessells easily locates Holst's study directly across the hallway from the drawing room he just left. The door is open and although the daylight is rapidly failing, immediately visible to the left of Holst's writing desk is the telephone.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:06 pm
by HoneyDog
John picks up the phone and connects to the operator, asking for the police.
OOC:   Assuming he connects, he will describe what they saw and ask for help.  

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:35 pm
by simonthompson
The operator puts Wessells through to the police station straight away, where the duty sergeant takes the details from him with the detached and somewhat sceptical air of someone who's heard pretty much most things before, many times.

"And you're sure the address is on Park Street, opposite number seven sir? Well, we'll get someone around there right away to check things out. Stay where you are, I'm sure they'll want to speak you personally too."

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:51 pm
by HoneyDog
John hangs up, and returns to the others.

“The police are on their way. Let’s see if they can accomplish anything.”

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:42 am
by simonthompson
Wessells relays the conversation to both of the Holsts. Howard is openly sceptical, restating his belief that the investigators must surely be mistaken in what they believed they saw.

Across the street the lights in the room fronting the street and the hallway are burning, and the baselight lights are briefly switched on and shortly afterwards turned off again. All else is quiet until after a wait of perhaps three to four minutes a police car pulls up outside the house. Two officers get out and approach Corbitt's door. Both are looking around, neither is particularly hurrying. The door is opened and following a brief and inaudible discussion the officers enter the house.

After another five minutes or so the front door reopens and the police officers emerge, one of them carrying a small box. Again a short inaudible conversation ensues before a smiling Corbitt cheerily waves goodbye and closes his door. The officers return to their car and one puts the box onto the back seat. The contents are clearly visible - plump tomatoes, some potatoes and carrots. One officer remains with the car while the other heads towards Holst’s residence.

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:21 am
by jp1885

Harrison grimaces as the police approach the house.

“Oh, looks like the cops have been payed off, eh? No need for you to get into trouble over this Uncle - put it down to us over-imaginative young folk, tired from our journey here.”

He turns to John.

”We’ll have to investigate ourselves I guess...”

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:26 am
by HoneyDog
"Oh, you can be sure of that" says John grimly. "Let's see what the cops have to say."

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:17 am
by simonthompson
Holst senior answers the knock at the door and ushers a stern looking police officer into his drawing room. "This is Officer O'Malley gentlemen".

“Which one of you two is Mr John Wessells?”

Once this is confirmed he says “We’ve checked things out with Mr Corbitt and it’s plain that you were obviously mistaken in what you claimed to have seen.” He eyes three whisky glasses that were left by the fireplace.

Stepping closer to Wessells he looks him up and down suspiciously. “Have you been drinking sir?”
Spoiler:
It's not illegal to possess or consume alcohol in Bolton (only to make or sell it)

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:01 am
by HoneyDog
John resists the urge to hit the cop.

“You can see we have Officer. But a class of whiskey doesn’t make me start hallucinating. I know what I saw, and I’m not the only one who saw it. What explanation did Corbitt offer you for possessing a child’s arm?”

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:34 am
by simonthompson
"The packages you saw from across a gloomy street were a few plant samples Mr Corbitt had just collected. I saw them myself on his kitchen table sir. Quite apart from which I know Mr Corbitt from his charitable work for the Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund and a more upstanding citizen I'd struggle to meet. Frankly I was embarrassed to put your allegations to him, so next time you have a little drink with your friends I'd suggest you think twice before wasting more police time."

O'Malley turns to Howard Holst. "Sir, you're a respectable guy yourself. I'm surprised you entertained this but please try to keep your house guests on a tighter leash next time."

With that he turns and strides from the house back to his car, which slowly drives off.

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:45 am
by HoneyDog
“Goddam cops” mutters John.

He bows apologetically to their host.

“Please excuse me Mr. Holst. I want to get to the bottom of this.”

With that he goes to the front door, opens it and heads over to the Corbitt house.
OOC,I'll play it like this to give jp a chance to catch up, but John intends to knock on the door and talk to Corbitt directly.

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:25 pm
by jp1885

Harrison smiles apologetically at his uncle.

“I’d better go see to this - there’s no stopping ol’ Wessels when his dander’s up. Keep an eye out for us, just in case we’re not back by nightfall.”

With that, he hurries across the street to join John.

“Ease up ol’ pal; is it a good idea to go confronting this feller like that? It’s pretty clear he’s got the cops in his pocket; let’s knock on his door to apologise. It’ll give us chance to size him up and then we can back off and do some research on the guy.”

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:27 pm
by HoneyDog
“Yes” replies John. “Let’s talk to him.”

Reaching the Corbitt house, he knocks firmly, but not aggressively, on the front door.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:22 am
by simonthompson
Close up it's obvious the house is in immaculate condition. Well kept and obviously painted each year, with beautiful shrubs and plants in the flowerbeds it's a credit to the neighbourhood.

A few seconds after Wessells knocks the door a smiling Corbitt opens the door.

"Hello gentlemen, can I help you?" he says.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:32 am
by HoneyDog
"We're from across the street, Mr. Corbitt" says John, indicating the Holst house with his thumb. "My name is Wessells. May we come in and speak with you?"

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:58 am
by simonthompson
"Ah yes, as you're probably aware I've just had a visit from the police. Well, as I explained to them I guess one of my samples could look a little like a limb, from a distance.

He smiles again, "Very public spirited of you and perhaps an understandable mistake. I hope the police officer wasn't too hard on you, I onlywish more people were such good citizens. I would invite you in of course but I've really had a very tiring day and I have to be up early tomorrow morning for business."

Corbitt looks past Wessells for the first time and sees Holst standing behind him. "Oh it's you Harrison. I haven't seen you since last summer. I hope you're well."

With that he wishes both investigators a good evening and closes the door.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:06 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Sorry Simon, John won’t let him close it. As the door closes he will barge it, trying to knock Corbitt down. What should I roll?

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:51 am
by simonthompson
As Corbitt closes his front door Wessells barges forward. A brief tussle ensues but Wessells youthful determination wins out and the door flies open. Corbitt is pushed inside by the force of the door, staggers and falls back into his hallwall. The trim but ageing businessman trips and strikes his head on a small lampstand.

Outside the street is quiet. It would appear that no-one has noticed the fracas.
Spoiler:
Corbitt takes one point of damage,and is now bleeding from the head wound. The lock on the door is now broken and it will no longer close.

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:57 am
by HoneyDog
“Get something to tie him with” John barks. “Quickly!”

He stands over Corbitt, ready in case the man should try to move.

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:59 am
by jp1885

"So much for the subtle approach! What the hell John?"

Aghast at his friend's rash actions, Harrison hurriedly ushers him into Corbitt's house (closing the door behind them as best he can).

"Tie him up? What if we're wrong ol' pal? Body parts or not, we'd better check the old feller is okay," he says, bending over to check the wounded man.
OOC,That's the way to deal with bad guys - hit 'em hard! Harrison may not approve, but I do :D

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:15 am
by HoneyDog
“Do as I say!” snarls John. “This is no time to be pussyfooting around! You can tend to him after!”

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:43 am
by jp1885

Alarmed, Harrison starts at John’s reply. He opens his mouth to argue, but thinks better of it. Leaving his angry friend to stand over the prone old man, he looks around for something to tie him up with.

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:27 am
by simonthompson
The hallway of the house is a relatively cramped space. The prone Corbitt jerks himself upright, trying desperately scrabble away from Wessells before Holst can enter the fray.

Still standing on the threshold of the house Holst looks around but can't see anything in the hallway that could be used as a restraint. Ahead of him on the right are stairs going up to the first floor of the house. Beyond Wessells and Corbitt in the hallway is a set of closed double doors on the left, and an opening at the end of the hallway that appears to be a dining room.
Spoiler:
Corbitt Brawling:25, [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:16 pm
by jp1885

Leaving John to keep Corbitt pinned down, Harrison tries the double doors, figuring that they'll lead to a lounge or parlour where he can find curtain tie-backs or somesuch.

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:33 pm
by simonthompson
Corbitt looks up as Wessells looms over him. He lashes out with his foot and causes the younger man to stumble. Taking his opportunity he rises, turns and scrabbles back down the gloomy hallway and through an opening to his right.
Spoiler:
We're out of combat and into a chase if one or both of you want to pursue Corbitt

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:32 am
by HoneyDog
John sets off after Corbitt.

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:07 pm
by jp1885

Harrison lets go of the door handle and sets off after his pal.

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:12 pm
by simonthompson
Wessells, followed by Holst, dashes after the fleeing Corbitt. At the end of the hallway an archway opens onto the dining room and another opening on the right into the kitchen.

As both round the corner they see the fleeing Corbitt a few paces ahead exit the house through the door from the kitchen into the garden.
Spoiler:
Do you both want to continue the chase into the garden?

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:18 pm
by jp1885
OOC,For better or for worse we need to catch the old man, so yes, let's follow him into thr garden.

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:46 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,Yep! Let's get him.

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:29 pm
by simonthompson
Wessells and Holst sprint into the kitchen, only to see their quarry exit the house through the kitchen door into the garden. Desperate to apprehend the fleeing Corbitt they dash after him.

Immediately outside the kitchen door steps lead down to ground level. A path heads away from the house before splitting in two. The left fork proceeds towards a large,well built wooden greenhouse, the right heads in the direction of a vegetable garden. The remainder of the garden consists of lawn and the occasional small tree, with flower beds closer to the house.

However, Corbitt ignores the path and runs around the corner of the house back towards the front garden, his car and the street. The pair of investigators in hot pursuit, the more athletic Holst is already level with Wessells and gaining on Corbitt who is just a few yards in front.
Spoiler:
You are in a chase, and have the option to to have an obstacle appear in Corbitt's path and potentially hinder him. If you choose to do this however you will both have to cross the same obstacle. Also, should he overcome it, he will then have the option to put another obstacle in your path. The choice is yours. Holst is gaining ground and looks likely to catch up with Corbitt, but it's touch and go if he'll successfully tackle Corbitt before he reaches his car/the street.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:50 am
by HoneyDog
Seeing that Corbitt is trying to escape completely, John changes his mind.

"Harrison!" He calls. "I'm returning to the house. Let's find out what he's up to! Let him go!"

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:54 am
by jp1885

Harrison skids to a halt before returning to the house looking worried.

“If he fetches the cops we’re in trouble ol’ chum. I hate to say this, but let’s hope we find something bad!”

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:26 am
by HoneyDog
"I know what I saw, and so do you" replies John as he heads for the door. "He won't get the police. But let's get to work."

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:28 am
by simonthompson
Holst and Wessells return to the house through the back door, re-entering the kitchen.

To their right is an opening into the dining area and back into hallway. In front of them as they enter is a closed door, and there looks to be another closed door to the left as the kitchen turns towards the front of the house. The kitchen itself has a gas stove, a large refrigerator, sink, kitchen table and cupboards.

Outside the light is beginning to fade. A light is on in the hallway but otherwise the interior of the house is becoming somewhat gloomy.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:38 pm
by jp1885

“As we’re in the kitchen, shall we start here?” Harrison suggests. He begins by checking the refrigerator.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:52 pm
by simonthompson
Inside the refrigerator Holst sees nothing unusual, just typical bachelor fare - butter, milk, some cheese and a piece of cold cooked pork.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:04 pm
by jp1885

Seeing nothing unusual in the fridge, Harrison moves to the door around the corner of the kitchen (ie not the one under the stairs). Steeling himself to find a pantry full of human limbs, he opens it.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:36 pm
by HoneyDog
“For God’s sake Harrison!” shouts John. “Stop wasting time! He’s going to be hiding whatever he does away from view! Not in the damn kitchen! Look for a basement!”

John sets of looking for any access to a lower level.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:09 pm
by simonthompson
Holst opens the door in front of him with trepidation, but peering into the gloom he sees nothing but a mundane looking pantry full of canned kitchen goods and what appears to be homemade pickles in jars. To his right inside the pantry is a light switch.

Meanwhile Wessells tries to open the internal door opposite the exit to the garden, but finds it locked. As he does so, both men hear a noise in the room above them.
Spoiler:
Listen rolls from you both please

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:44 pm
by jp1885

Harrison steps back from the pantry, his expression deadpan. He is about to come up with some witty rejoinder when the noise above stops him.
Listen 22% Pass,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:51 am
by HoneyDog
Listen,Listen 40: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/852727]Listen[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]74[/b]
John cocks his head.

"What was that? Is there someone upstairs?"

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:30 pm
by simonthompson
As they pause both Holst and Wessells hear more noise from above them. There is definitely someone or something else in the house besides them.
{OOC for Holst},{You believe the noises you are hearing are likely being made by something not much heavier than a dog or cat rather than a grown adult, but it's difficult to tell. They're certainly not footsteps. You're sure however that they're coming from the room directly above the kitchen.}

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:09 pm
by jp1885

"I sure hear something John, right above me in the kitchen. Not heavy enough to be a person, unless it's a kid. But they're not footsteps... It's getting dark, I suppose we'd better find a lamp and then go see."

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:07 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,As there's electricity in the house I'm guessing we don't need lamps.
John moves towards the stairs, aiming to investigate the noise.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:54 am
by simonthompson
Making their way back into the hallway the investigators follow the sound of the countinuing noises. Outside the gloom is increasing as night falls, and inside the men switch on the electric lights around the house as they move. Despite the harsh glare of illumination Corbitt's house seems to have taken on an oppressive, cheerless atmosphere.

Holst and Wessells reach the top of the stairs and stand outside a doorway immediately on the right. From what they know of the house layout it must be from this room that the noises were emanating, although with their approach the sounds have stopped. An ominous silence now pervades the house.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:14 am
by HoneyDog
John reaches out to open the door.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:40 am
by simonthompson
Cautiously opening the door, Wessells looks into the darkened room. In the gloom he can make out a double bed opposite the door on the far wall, a bedside table next to it, and on the right hand wall a chest of drawers about five feet high. Two windows, both with curtains drawn, give the room a double aspect onto the garden and the side of the property. There is a light switch his immediate right. All remains quiet.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:04 am
by HoneyDog
OOC,It's John, not Holst.
Steeling himself, John flicks on the light.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:16 am
by jp1885

Standing ready beside his pal, Harrison steels himself.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:39 pm
by simonthompson
The light illuminates the bedroom, but rather than driving out the creeping night it seems to somehow accentuate the areas of the room in dark shadow.

Looking in from their position on the threshold, the investigators see what appears to be an empty room. The walls are decorated with a fading wallpaper with a plant motif, a large patchwork quilt amply covers and overhands the sides of the double bed. The bed itself is of sturdy dark mahogany construction, just like the bedside table and chest of drawers. The room is otherwise bare of furniture.

A small lamp sits on the bedside table, along with a small hardback book.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:25 pm
by jp1885

Perplexed, Harrison quietly steps into the room. Without getting too close, he crouches down in attempt to see under the bed.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:56 am
by simonthompson
As Holst peers under the bed he sees a woman's face in the darkness. Before he can react the woman hisses at him and springs out. To his and Wessells's horror the abomination dashes out from under the bed, making for the doorway.

Now fully visible, the obscene creature has a woman's head but from the neck down where her body should be a single human leg has been crudely attached. Instead of ears, two child-sized arms sprout from either side of her head, the ends of the fingers revealing long nails like talons.

Despite the primitive nature of her blasphemous construction, the creature - for surely it cannot be called a human - is as agile and quick as a cat.
Spoiler:
Sanity checks for you both please

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:52 am
by jp1885
SAN 70 fail,[dice]0[/dice]
Harrison yells in terror and staggers backwards.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:25 am
by HoneyDog
The sight of the woman-thing is too much for John. He lets out a strangled gasp and stumbles away from it, shaking his head in total disbelief.

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:34 am
by simonthompson
The following morning Holst and Wessells wake to find themselves in a cramped cell, stirred by the clanging of the police custody officer opening the door of the room.

He stands at the door and says C'mon fellas, rise an' shine, this ain't a hotel ya know. Follow me and collect ya things."
Spoiler:
At this point neither investigator can recall how they came to be in jail. Both have pounding heads and minor abrasions to their hands and faces.
Walking down a corridor in a dazed state they enter a room with a small counter at the end. Through a sturdy grill another officer places their personal effects on the counter along with a piece of paper.

"Sign the form and you're both out of here, though if it was up to me you'd be enjoying our hospitality for a while yet", he says with a barely concealed tone of hostility.

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:05 am
by jp1885

Head throbbing, Harrison robotically signs the form. He looks down at his dishevelled state, up to the contemptuous cop and the across to John in complete bewilderment.

"How much did we have to drink last night?" he croaks. "I remember eating at Uncle Howard's but after that..."

He waves a hand vaguely, frowning as he notices the scratches.

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:02 pm
by simonthompson
The officer takes Holst's form and nods in the direction of a door.

"Your uncle's waiting through there in the station foyer. I have no idea what was in your head last night but be warned Mr Holst. If we see you again anytime soon you'll be staying a lot longer, regardless of Mr Corbitt's wishes."

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:05 pm
by HoneyDog
John is too confused and tries not to think too much right now. Better to put your head down and work through it.

“Come on Harrisonhe says to his companion quietly, ignoring the cop. “Let’s get out of here. We’ll work it out later."

He takes Harrison’s arm and moves to the door.

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:37 pm
by jp1885

Harrison allows himself to be led out.

“That cop mentioned Corbitt; weren’t we going to go over and see him? I guess we started on the hooch instead.”

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:33 am
by simonthompson
Through the door is entrance foyer of the police station. Stairs lead up to the 2nd floor of the building, another door lies behind a desk currently occupied by an amused looking police sergeant, and a set of ornate double doors lead out onto Bolton Main Street.

The dominating presence in the room however, is a clearly seething Howard Holst. Seated on the row of chairs against the far wall he stands and approaches the investigators as they enter the room.

"What the hell came over you Harrison? I've had the devil of a night after seeing you both carted off in the police car yesterday evening. What were you thinking of?"

Sensing his nephew is about to respond he snaps, barely containing his anger "No. Actually, I don't want to hear it. Mr Corbitt has told me well enough of the attack on his person effected by you and your...", he looks with contempt at Wessells, before turn back to his nephew,"...associate, Mr Wessells. I can only thank the stars he decided not to press charges. I daresay he wants the scandal of a court case even less than I do."

An elderly lady enters the foyer and approaches the desk behind them. Holst senior observes this and quietens his voice a little. "Dear gods what would your mother say, rest her soul? Well Harrison, I fear I must tell you that you are no longer welcome at my house. It will take me a long time to forgive your behaviour, if I ever do, and I suggest you use that time to consider your actions and your choice of friends. Mr Wessells, if I ever see you again it will be too soon."

With that he turns on his heel and walks out of the station.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:50 am
by simonthompson
During Howard Holst's diatribe both investigators start to recall the events of the previous evening, though they are very sketchy.

As the day progresses things become clearer. They recall Corbitt's escape and the horrific events of their investigation of the bedroom, including the stunted woman creature. Wessells remembers fleeing in terror into an empty bedroom on the opposite side of the landing and slamming the door, remaining there, terrified, until the police arrived after what seemed like an eternity but was actually around ten minutes. Holst recollects with shame his wailing like a small baby, and cringing in a corner of the bedroom until the arrival of the police.

What became of the creature they do not know. They do eventually remember Corbitt talking to the police and stating his reluctance to press any charges, putting the investigators absence down to 'drink or perhaps even drugs of some description, but perhaps a night in the cells will do more good in the longer term than a criminal record.' Following that they were incarcerated in the station cells for the night.

It takes them the rest of the day after leaving the station to piece this together.

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:01 am
by HoneyDog
John sits quietly as mulls the events of the previous days. It feels like a long time ago due to his hazy memory, but the unsettling images have returned.

“What do you want to do, Harrison?” he asks his friend. “Do you want to put a stop to whatever Corbitt is doing, or do you want to return to your daily life?”

He shakes his head.

“I’m not sure myself. Staying out of it means staying out of trouble. Corbitt is obviously trying to keep a low profile and I don't think he'll trouble us. But if he’s killing people, we have a moral imperative to stop him. The police won’t help”.

He turns and looks out of the window.

“To be honest, I just feel I want to get even with him. Twice he’s played us for fools. I won’t let some sick degenerate get the better of me.”

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:41 am
by jp1885

Harrison puts down his cup of tea, if only to stop it sloshing about in his shaking hand.

“You’re right ol’ pal. What we saw last night was an abomination - Corbitt has to be stopped. There’s no knowing how many more creatures he’s got there, like some damned Frankenstein. We can’t just go barging in their again or we’ll end up in the slammer for keeps. How’s about we do some digging into uncle’s friendly neighbour and find out a little bit about him?”

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:36 pm
by HoneyDog
“You’re right” says John, turning to look at Harrison. “We can’t go up against him directly again, without knowing what we’re dealing with. God knows what he must have done to us to make us both black out like that. We can’t underestimate him in the slightest. Let’s try to find out more about him.”

He reaches over and clasps Harrison’s shoulder.

“Let’s go back to Bolton. I’m sorry about your uncle. It doesn’t sit right with me. But perhaps if we clear this up, and expose Corbitt, it will allow us to make amends.”

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:03 pm
by jp1885

"Thanks pal. Uncle Howard will come around eventually, I'm sure, but we will certainly need proof f we're to clear our names."

Harrison exhales deeply, as if steeling himself for the ordeal ahead.

"Let's not rush back to Bolton just yet though. Corbitt was a medical student; perhaps he studied here in Arkham, or maybe Boston. We should see what we can uncover hereabouts: the cops in Bolton will surely be keeping an eye out for us and Corbitt even more so. I say we try the hall of records; perhaps we'll find something out about this import-export business of his too."
OOC,I assume Arkham has some kind of records centre?

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:25 am
by HoneyDog
"Fine" says John. "We can try the Hall of Records. The university sounds like a stretch. I don't think they'd let strangers walking in off the street access their student records".

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:04 am
by jp1885

“Fair point,” Harrison concedes. “Let’s see what we can find in the records then.”

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:00 pm
by simonthompson
It being too late to travel to Boston that day, our investigators meet at the railroad station in Arkham early the next morning and travel to state's capital, where it's a short walk to the impressive City Hall, where company records for businesses based in Massechusetts are housed.

Walking through the bustling streets of a modern metropolis makes the experiences of the investigators seem dreamlike and surreal. The chasm between the esoteric and somewhat stiffling atmosphere of Arkham and the grand, thriving state capital could not be more obvious.

Enquiring at reception the two men are directed to the Records Office on the third floor, where they are greeted by a somewhat distracted and harrassed looking clerk. He sits at a low desk, a huge pile of papers in front of him and row after row of bookshelves behind him.
Looking up and gives a wane smile and says "Good day gentlemen, how can I assist you?"

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:09 am
by HoneyDog
"We're looking for business records" says John. "For businesses based in Bolton."

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:03 am
by simonthompson
The clerk explains that the records are categorised alphabetically, and after learning that you seek information on 'Corbitt Enterprises' he points you in the direction of the companies beginning with 'C'.

The records are extensive but well maintained and it takes just a few minutes to locate the files for Corbitt's business. There are a number of documents, each detailing the submitted accounts for Corbitt Enterprises for a named year, along with details of the company directors, secretary, staff, etc. They seem to go back to the 1890s when Theodore and Elaine Corbitt first established the company, importing 'fancy goods' from the Indian sub continent.

The Corbitts were obviously shrewd business people since within a year or two the company was doing very well. Fourteen years ago it seems Bernard Corbitt replaced Theodore as a director, and three years later he became the sole director. Of late the business has tailed off, though profits are still reasonable.

The company's only office is listed in Bolton near the docks. There, two employees besides Corbitt work, one a secretary and the other a storeman.

The clerk approaches you at midday, making you aware the Office closes for an hour. By this time you have examined everything pertaining to Corbitt Enterprises and seem to have learnt all you can.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:42 am
by jp1885

“Well at least we have an address,” says Harrison as he reviews the information. “Let’s delve into the newspapers next; there may be some unexplained disappearances or references to our chum.”

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:10 pm
by HoneyDog
“You mean the Bolton newspapers?” John asks. “We’re more likely to find something there, let's face it. Are you ready to go back?”

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:21 pm
by jp1885

"I'm not one-hundred percent sure I am ol' chum," sighs Harrison. "But I guess there's nothing else for it. We'll just have to avoid being seen by Corbitt or my uncle."

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:31 am
by HoneyDog
"Don't worry about them. Let's go in the morning, we'll have more time."

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:20 am
by simonthompson
Holst and Wessells make their way back to Arkham and arrange to meet the following morning to continue their investigations into Corbitt.

Making an early start, the two men travel by taxi back to Bolton. At the riverside end of Main Street lie the humble offices of the town's only newspaper, the Bolton Democrat & Chronicle, feeling a world away from the bustle, and spit and polish of their experience the previous day.

Slipping quickly into the newspaper building from their taxi they enter the public office fronting the street. A young lady stands behind a somewhat dusty counter with back copies covering notable issues of the paper displayed behind her, and they make their request access to the archives in order to do some 'some historical research'.
Spoiler:
Please make a Library Use roll (regular difficulty)

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:13 am
by jp1885
Library use 60,[dice]0[/dice]
Harrison is still rattled by his ordeal (or is he subconsciously avoiding the name Corbitt?) and cannot concentrate on the matter in hand.

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:43 pm
by simonthompson
The day passes slowly as the investigators wade through the archives of the 'D&C' as it's know locally. Around 4pm, having skipped lunch, the pair are beginning to think they've wasted their time.

While Holst seems strangely unsettled and unable to concentrate, Wessells suddenly strikes paydirt. Having made his way back to 1912 he finds the following articles, just a couple of days apart:

Spoiler:
I need one more library check from you both please

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:01 pm
by jp1885

Intrigued, Harrison keeps poring through the newspapers.
Library use 60 pass,[dice]0[/dice]
This time, he finds something of possible interest.

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:08 am
by simonthompson
Shortly after Wessells finds the two references to Corbitt, Holst finds another. This one dates from 1910:

The office will shortly close for the day but fortunately the D&C was a weekly publication until it went daily in 1909, so progress back until 1900 is swift. The two men find nothing more of note.

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:01 am
by jp1885

"So fourteen years ago, our pal Bernard and his Pop are attacked in India and Theodore is killed. This begs the question: what were they doing in India of all places? I don't buy the 'hiking trip' angle."

"Bernard gets hitched and two years later his wife and kid die in childbirth; an incident that causes the midwife to collaps insensate. Is he trying to recreate his lost family in some misguided and gruesome fashion?"

"So we have a few more leads: his office down the docks; the Meyers and nurse Dunlap, assuming she's still alive. We might even chance our arm with a canle to India, but I've no idea who to contact over there."

Assuming local directories are easy to obtain, Harrison will look up relevant addresses.

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:15 pm
by HoneyDog
John shrugs his shoulders.

“What does any of this matter?” he asks. “We’re going about this all wrong. Who cares what happened in the past? We have to focus on what’s going on now. These body parts he uses must come from somewhere. If we can get evidence of him in the act, we'll have him. Now, he’s either killing people, or he gets the body parts somewhere else. What did you notice about him that night we saw him?”

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:58 pm
by jp1885

"'Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it' ol' chum," Harrison sighs, taking off his spectacles and pinching the bridge of his nose.

"If there's a reason for that monstrosity we saw, it's hidden in Corbitt's past. But I take your point; someone's got to have noticed stolen limbs, grave-robberies, disappearances or morgue break-ins."

He scans the papers one more time for such stories.
Library use 60,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:42 am
by HoneyDog
John also gets stuck in, searching as fast as possible.
Library Use,Library Use 50: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/854687]Library Use[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]25[/b]

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:04 am
by simonthompson
With just a few minutes left before the office closes the investigators set to, aided by the fact that they've already searched the back copies once - albeit for a different reference. A story about grave robbing or such would have undoubtedly made headlines for some days in Bolton, but they find nothing before the young female assistant comes and informs them that the office is closing for the day.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:17 am
by HoneyDog
"He must be getting them from somewhere" says John to Harrison. "He's probably wise enough to go further afield than Bolton. Let's go home."

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:03 am
by jp1885

"Hmm, yes, let's head back. At the risk of drawing your ire ol' pal, I want to track down the nurse if I can."

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:27 am
by HoneyDog
"Sure, if you really want. I don't object."

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:39 pm
by simonthompson
Holst and Wessells order a cab back to Arkham, and on their return look up in the telephone directory the Central Sanitorium that was referred to in the C&D article as the destination of Mona Dunlap.

The directory reveals that the sanitorium is still open and lies on the outskirts of Bolton. The telephone number and address are both provided, and Holst makes a call, enquiring about Miss Dunlap.
Spoiler:
Please have Holst make either a Fast Talk or Credit Rating roll, normal difficulty.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:30 pm
by jp1885
Credit rating 50 pass,[dice]0[/dice]
Harrison clears his throat and, in the tone of voice reserved for his most discerning customers, makes his enquiries.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:30 am
by simonthompson
The telephonist at the sanitorium regretfully informs Holst that Miss Dunlap passed away six years earlier. However, she says the physician who dealt with her case, Dr Meacham, is working an evening shift currently and she puts Holst through to his office.

"Ah yes, I remember Miss Dunlap," he pronounces in a distinct Southern drawl. "A strange case. No history of mental illness at all, functioning perfectly well as a normal member of society and then - suddenly struck down catatonic. In six years under our care she never regained conciousness."

There is a momentary pause. "Well, not until the poor woman's last hours on this good Earth. At the end the she was clearly insane, driven so by who knows what demons that were trapped inside her mind. She'd come round but ranted incoherently for a couple of hours, however her final words before she passed into our Maker's care were quite lucid and are forever etched on my memory. 'It was awful. No arms or legs and hardly a face! It should have died! It should have died along with the other one!' I don't mind telling you it was very distressing to witness, as used to seeing the torments of a shredded mind as I am."

"I'm afraid there's nothing more to tell Mr Holst, Miss Dunlap died almost immediately afterwards."

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:24 am
by jp1885

Harrison relates the grim tale to John.

“Looks like there was another kid, missing a face and limbs - pretty much everything that makes up that monster. D’you reckon ol’ Corbitt is overcompensating!”

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:03 pm
by HoneyDog
The tale makes John shudder visibly.

“He’s trying to fix the child? But it’s so long after the event!”

He shakes his head in frustration.

“Look, my point still stands. Ultimately, I don’t give a damn about his motives and his history, I want to stop him, preferably in a way that doesn’t lead to us ending up in the penitentiary. If he’s killing people, he needs to be stopped. But any attempt to kill him , which incidentally I'm quite comfortable with, might lead to us. So we need to think about how to expose his crimes.”

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:57 pm
by jp1885

“We’ve got nothing to lose by visiting his warehouse - maybe he’s got a bunch of limbs on ice in there. If that’s the case we’ll have more than enough evidence.”

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:29 am
by HoneyDog
"Very well. Although if you want to look around, understand that we probably won't be able to enter it legally. Let's go."

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:26 am
by simonthompson
The following morning the investigators stop by at the newly opened branch office of John Hertz in Arkham and hire a Model T. The drive to the dockside warehouse of Corbitt Enterprises in Bolton takes less than thirty minutes.

Parking up opposite the address of the Corbitt warehouse the investigators sit in their vehicle, observing for an hour or so.

The area is relatively quiet. There are a few vehicles loading and unloading deliveries at neighbouring businesses, and occasional passers by stroll past. There appears to be one large arched door into Corbitt's warehouse, which is part of a much larger building, but it is currently closed and it seems like no-one is working there currently.

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:35 am
by HoneyDog
“Let’s see how it’s locked” says John. “I wonder if we can enter via one of the other warehouses.”

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:24 am
by jp1885

“It just so happens...” muses Harrison as he looks the building up and down, “...that I’ve suddenly decided I want to rent a warehouse to store my stock. It also happens that I’ve been mistakenly informed that this particular one is available. Shall we go take a look?”

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:28 am
by HoneyDog
"Good cover story!" says John, getting out of the car. "Anyone would think that you might have practiced deception before."

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:00 pm
by jp1885

“Honest as the day is long ol’ pal,” chuckles Harrison.

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:38 am
by simonthompson
As Holst and Wessells get out of their car they look across the street and see the door of the Corbitt warehouse opening. A man comes out, dressed in the scruffy workaday gear of a storeman.

As they watch, he turns and locks the door with a large padlock, then starts to walk briskly in the direction of Main Street.
Spoiler:
You have to opportunity to stop and talk with him if you wish, follow him, or head over to the warehouse.

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:20 am
by jp1885

Harrison tips his boater to the guy and smiles.

"Hello sir! I gather this warehouse is to let? My colleague and I are interested in renting some storage space - may we take a look inside? I'm sure you're a busy man so I'm more than happy to reimburse you for your time."

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:42 pm
by simonthompson
The storeman stops, turns and stares at you both with a puzzled look on his face.

"Eh? I think you've got it wrong mister. This here is the Corbitt Enterprises warehouse, and Mr Corbitt ain't said nothing to me about it being let out."
Spoiler:
Please make a Hard check against Credit Rating, Persuade or Fast Talk.

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:40 pm
by HoneyDog
Credit Rating,Credit Rating 60: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/856078]Credit Rating[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]30[/b]
”Are you sure?” asks John. “It may have been some time ago”.

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:33 am
by simonthompson
The storeman takes a long look at the smartly dressed Wessells and rubs his chin. "Well I guess it won't do any harm to show yer the insides of the warehouse, but yer'll have to stay with me as I show yer around."

He unlocks the door, reaches inside and swings the larger main door that surrounds the smaller portal open, beckoning the investigators to follow him in. Light streams in from the street, illuminating a storeroom approximately 10 feet across by 30 feet deep, and around 15 feet high. A door and window at the rear show that the warehouse backs onto the James River. Boxes are stacked to varying heights on each side of the room. Some are labelled as 'Incense Sticks', 'Mixed Rugs'', 'Soapstone Trinkets', etc and a few have been opened revealing a relatively inexpensive looking selection of decorative items from countries such as India, Ceylon and Siam.

"The room's dry and has power. We have stuff down to keep the rodents away but they ain't especially interested anyways, we ain't got nothing they wanna knaw on in here. I guess Mr Corbitt must be looking to move premises then? Business has been a little down the last couple of years."

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:08 pm
by HoneyDog
"That's a shame" John commiserates. "Do you see much of Mr. Corbitt?"

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:12 pm
by jp1885

"Corbitt you say? Didn't he lose his wife and kids a while back? Twins wasn't it? What a crying shame that must've been. Say, is there a strongroom in these warehouses? Some of our goods are rather valuable."

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:39 pm
by simonthompson
HoneyDog wrote:"That's a shame" John commiserates. "Do you see much of Mr. Corbitt?"
"Oh yeah, he's down at the office most days or visiting buyers, but I sees him most weeks. Works hard, pays decent money, nice guy. There are far worse employers around these parts. I sure hope he ain't thinking of selling up."
jp1885 wrote:"Corbitt you say? Didn't he lose his wife and kids a while back? Twins wasn't it? What a crying shame that must've been. Say, is there a strongroom in these warehouses? Some of our goods are rather valuable."
The storeman looks at Holst, replying "That was before my time buddy, but I did hear from Ethel in the office once that he lost a child a few years back, and his wife and pa. Didn't hear nothing about no twins though."

He laughs. "A strongroom? Hah, no chance buddy. This stuff is ain't so cheap but it ain't no Arthur James fortune neither."

Looking up at a clock on the wall he says "Say, I gotta get over to the office fellas. I'm sure old man Corbitt will let ya have a better schmoozy around if ya ask him." With that he ushers the investigators back onto the street.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:16 am
by HoneyDog
"Well, thanks for your help" John says to the man.

When they are outside again, heading to the car, he says to Harrison,

"Look, there's no point to this, we're not getting anywhere. We need to get back in the house, or we need to talk to Corbitt directly."

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:12 pm
by jp1885

"Once again you're right ol' chum," sighs Harrison. "I was sure we'd find the boxes of limbs and wotnot, but alas no..."

He is just about to dejectedly open his car door when his face lights up.

"Say, how about we swing by the local hospital on the way to Corbitt's? If he's getting the body parts from there we could catch him red-handed."

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:17 pm
by HoneyDog
"But we already looked at stories relating to thefts from morgues and found nothing" John protests. "Seems like a waste of time to me."

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:22 pm
by jp1885

"I don't think anyone would be too keen for the press to know that they're letting body parts go missing, so maybe it's all under the counter? However I know that when you've got the bit between your teeth there's no stopping you, so I'll follow your lead ol' pal."

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:05 pm
by HoneyDog
"My lead? I don't have any. Don't put this on me! The only things I can think about doing will just lead back to us. I want to get my hands on Corbitt, but I'm worried about the power he has. If you have an idea, I suggest you spell it out."

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:31 pm
by jp1885

Harrison laughs. "It's a good job we're pals eh? Like I said, let's go to the hospital and see if he's been getting limbs from there."

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:06 am
by HoneyDog
John sighs.

"Fine. But you can do the talking."

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:00 am
by simonthompson
The Central Hospital in Bolton is a relatively modern building, built in the 1890s with a major extension constructed in 1910.

Having driven across town from the riverside docks area to the hospital site in the southern suburbs, the investigators park their car and head into the main entrance. The hospital is busy, nurses in white uniforms bustle to and fro, and ambulances are parked outside either having just arrived or just about to depart.

In the cavernous entrance hall a long desk is staffed by two nurses, and behind them is a male supervisor. One of the nurses looks up as Holst and Wessells enter the building. She smiles, and says "Good day sirs, can I help you at all?"

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:55 am
by jp1885

Harrison doffs his boater politely.

“Good day to you. May I speak to someone in authority please?”

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:29 pm
by simonthompson
The nurse looks somewhat surprised. "May I ask what it concerns sir? I'll see if I can direct you to the right person."

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:24 am
by jp1885

"Ah, well we represent certain concerned relatives of patients and, shall we say, former patients of this esteemed hospital," Harrison declares.

"There have been some complaints of certain things going missing..." he continues, mentally crossing his fingers.

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:31 pm
by simonthompson
The nurse looks somewhat confused. "Things going missing? I'm not sure I understand what you mean sir", she says smiling uncertainly.
Spoiler:
Please can one of you make a group Persuade or Charm roll,normal difficulty.

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:11 pm
by jp1885
Charm 50,[dice]0[/dice]
Harrison smiles benignly. “Oh I’m sure you’ve more important things to deal with than this kind of nonsense. Now; a superior, if you please.”

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:27 pm
by simonthompson
The nurse smiles coyly, then turns to the gentleman behind her. "Mr Evans sir, I have two gentlemen here who wish to speak with someone in authority about some missing items. Are you able to help them?"

The man looks up from some paperwork he was examining and sizes up the investigators. Obviously reaching a favourable conclusion to his assessment he gestures to a side office. "If you'd like to step into my office gentlemen I'll see what I can do to assist you."

With that he raises a barrier on the counter, steps through and lowers it again, striding towards the office he indicated. As Holst and Wessells follow him inside he closes the door, walks to a swivel chair behind a low, mahogany office desk and starts lighting a turkish cigarette. "Good day to you both. I'm Frederick Evans, Assistant Administrator here. May I enquire as to your names and your business with us today?

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:12 pm
by jp1885

Harrison Blithely ignores Evans’ first question. Does he try to blather and confuse the man or go for broke and startle him with the direct approach?

“Missing limbs!” he declares, opting for the latter.

“Our clients allege that their dear departed loved ones left this establishment with less appendages than they came in with. An astounding accusation which I dearly hope you will be able to disprove.”

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:45 pm
by HoneyDog
John speaks, and fixes Evans with a steady gaze.

"Somebody, it seems, is removing body parts from this hospital."

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:52 am
by simonthompson
Evans looks outraged. "What you suggest is scandalous. I can assure you that this institution upholds the highest possible standards. The patients we are are unfortunately unable to save are handled with the utmost consideration and sensitivity. Besides, any 'missing limbs' would surely be noted by the undertakers the bodies are passed to."

Stubbing out his unsmoked cigarette, the visibly angry Evans continues. "Furthermore, any required amputations are dealt with equally sensitively. The affected limbs are collected by our specially trained mortuary staff, wrapped in linen for temporary storage, then subsequently burnt in our incinerator here within the hospital."
Spoiler:
Please attempt a group Intimidation or Persuade roll, hard difficulty.

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:49 pm
by jp1885
Intimidate 15,[dice]0[/dice]
Harrison tries to look stern, but comes across as slightly constipated.

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:07 pm
by HoneyDog
John realizes that the situation is hopeless. He nudges Harrison’s arm.

“Come on, let’s get out of here. This man doesn’t care about what’s going on.”

He heads to the door.

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:26 pm
by jp1885

“Fine,” Harrison sighs, also making to leave.

“We’ll just have to write that the hospital refused to confirm or deny the accusations - our editor will be fine with that,” he adds as a final gambit.

Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:40 pm
by simonthompson
Evans disdainfully watches the investigators as they move to leave, but perks up at the mention of a newspaper. "Gentlemen, gentlemen. Lets not be too hasty here. Let it not be said that this hospital has anything to hide. We value our first rate reputation."

Visibly composing himself Evans stands and walks to door. "Follow me, and you'll see there can be nothing in these.. stories and tall tales you've heard."

With that he leads the investigators into the bowels of the institution.

All seems well. The wards they pass are clean and bright, staffed by efficient nurses and doctors, and housing patients who, under the circumstances they're in, seem well tended and comfortable.

Evans eventually leads the investigators to the hospital mortuary. Again, like the rest of the hospital it is exceptionally clean and well organised.

"This is Mr Hargreaves, the Mortuary Supervisor" Evans says, introducing them to a bespectacled man in his early 50s. I'm sure he can put your minds at rest. "Mr Hargreaves, these gentlemen are from the press and they've heard some disturbing but undoubtedly scurrilous rumours."

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:31 am
by HoneyDog
John clears his throat.

"Mr. Hargreaves, what happens to the bodies of deceased patients once they leave your care?"

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:54 am
by simonthompson
Hargreaves looks surprised. "Well, we take the cadaver from the operating theatre or ward and keep it here in our cold store until it is collected by the undertakers selected by the deceased's family. They load it into their hearse and depart. What happens then I couldn't say, but I guarantee if any limbs were missing that would be noted, if not by the undertaker then by the family."

He shows the investigators the cold storage area. A few corpses lay on trollies, covered in white linen sheets. He then exits the cold store and returns to the main mortuary room where he leads the investigators to a large refrigerator. Opening it, they see a number of smaller items are wrapped in linen cloth. "These are the discarded limbs from various operations undertaken in the hospital. They are stored here for a short while before being burnt in our incinerator in the basement."
Spoiler:
Please can both investigators make spot hidden rolls.

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:11 am
by HoneyDog
Peering in, John notices something.
Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden 29: [url=https://orokos.com/roll/857273]Spot Hidden[/url]: [u]1d100[/u] [b]4[/b]

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:53 am
by jp1885
Spot hidden 75,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:47 pm
by simonthompson
As Hargreaves closes the door on the macabre parcels both Wessells and Holst notice that they're wrapped in very similar if not identical colour linen to the packages Corbitt was carrying.

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:38 pm
by jp1885

“Hmm, you seem pretty sure that each limb is accounted for; do you keep a ledger?” Harrison takes out his notebook. “Who else has access to this storage? What’s the exact procedure for passing these to the undertakers?”

He turns to John. “There can’t be that many undertakers in town; we need to speak to them all and get their side of the story.”

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:06 pm
by simonthompson
jp1885 wrote:
“Hmm, you seem pretty sure that each limb is accounted for; do you keep a ledger?” Harrison takes out his notebook. “Who else has access to this storage? What’s the exact procedure for passing these to the undertakers?”
The older man looks somewhat offended. "Of course we keep a record. We run a tight ship here I can assure you." Walking across to a filing cabinet he opens the top drawer and brings out a large ledger. Laying it on a vacant mortuary trolley he opens it and steps back to let the investigators look at it.

"As you'll see, every single item entrusted to us is listed, with the date we take delivery and the disposal date, and the initials of the member of staff who handles the disposal. At present you'll see that most of the initials are mine. The other initials belong to my orderly, Randolph Tomaszewski.

Hargreaves looks over at Evans and seems to be making a point."Regrettably I'm constantly short-staffed. The wages I can offer are poor and the nature of the work deters many potential candidates."

He continues. "The cadavers are handed over to the undertakers and recorded in the same way." He fetches another book, and it lists the deceased in a similar fashion. "You'll notice my initials against each one in this case. Tomaszewski only works nights and early mornings, plus weekends where necessary, whereas I deal with all transfers of bodies at the end of each weekday afternoon."

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:23 pm
by HoneyDog
"It all looks very thorough, Mr. Hargreaves" says John in admiration, although his mind is reeling from the shock of making the connection. "Would it be possible to hear from Mr. Tomaszewski?"

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:21 pm
by jp1885

While John speaks, Harrison tries to read Hargreaves. Does he seem at all guilty or worried?
Psychology 39 pass,[dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:26 am
by simonthompson
HoneyDog wrote:"It all looks very thorough, Mr. Hargreaves" says John in admiration, although his mind is reeling from the shock of making the connection. "Would it be possible to hear from Mr. Tomaszewski?"
Hargreaves replies to Wessells's question, "Tomaszewski won't be here for his shift until 7pm and he'll be busy doing his rounds to begin with. The best time if you feel you must speak with him would be at the end of his shift tomorrow morning around 9am."
jp1885 wrote:
While John speaks, Harrison tries to read Hargreaves. Does he seem at all guilty or worried?
Holst watches Hargreaves intently. To the best of his knowledge, the older man seems to be concerned rather than evasive.

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:40 am
by HoneyDog
“I see” says John, thoughtfully. “How would we recognize him?”

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:15 am
by simonthompson
Hargreaves replies "I'll leave a message for him to wait outside Mr Evans's office at 9am. Now, if I've dealt with your questions I really do need to get back to my work. Good day gentlemen, Mr Hargreaves."

With that Hargreaves turns and busies himself in the cold store.

Evans looks at the investigators. "I do hope this puts this rather ugly and unnecessary matter to rest. This hospital has a fine reputation and to have it sullied by obviously unfounded allegations is distressing. Is there anything else gentlemen?"

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:05 am
by jp1885

“I think that’ll be all for now, though, as a friendly warning, I suggest you temporarily tighten your security until the accusations die down.”

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:00 pm
by HoneyDog
OOC,I think you're mixing up the characters Simon!
John touches Harrison's arm.

"Let's go. Thank you for your time, Mr. Evans."

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:24 am
by simonthompson
The following morning dawns bright and warm, and just before 9am the investigators arrive at the hospital and return to the reception desk. It's a different nurse staffing the desk, but she looks up with a bright smile as the two men approach her.

"Good morning gentlemen, how can I be of help?" she asks. On hearing of their appointment she asks them to wait while she calls Mr Evans.

A few moments later Evans appears from his office. Walking towards them he looks past their shoulders behind them "Good morning- ah! Here's Tomaszewski now."

Turning, they see a somewhat ill-kempt man in his late-twenties approaching them. He wears a grubby white gown over a second-rate suit, and his shoes have seen better days.

Evans greets him."Tomaszewski, thank you for coming. These gentlemen have some questions for you, I'm sure you'll be able to put their minds at rest."

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:53 am
by jp1885

Harrison smiles. “Please may we have a word with Mr. Tomaszewski alone? All in the interests of impartiality you understand.”

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:33 pm
by simonthompson
Evans nods and says "Of course. I'll leave you gentlemen to it, but I'll be in my office should you need anything." With that he returns to his office.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:27 pm
by HoneyDog
John says nothing, and just stares at Tomaszewki, barely concealing his disgust.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:15 pm
by jp1885

“Hello Randolph,” says Harrison.

He smiles again, a little too widely.

“I gather we have a mutual friend, Mr. Corbitt.”

He studies the man’s reaction to the name.

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:07 am
by simonthompson
Tomaszewki, already on edge, stiffens at the mention of Corbitt's name and looks even more unsettled.

In a broad New York accent he replies to Holst. "Er, what do mean mister? I don't know no Corbitt guy. You must be getting me mixed up with someone else. Who are you anyways?"

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:56 am
by HoneyDog
John starts slowly walking so that he will be behind Tomaszewki.

“You know what we’re talking about” he says as he moves. “Do you want the hospital to find out? The police? How about the family members?”

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:58 am
by simonthompson
Noting Wessells movement and clearly on his guard, Tomaszewki starts to back away, keeping the investigators in front of him.

"Find out what? I ain't done nothing, you leave me alone, I don't have to answer any questions."
Spoiler:
Please let me know your intentions before you have your characters attempt anything. You're both standing in front of Tomaszewki and about 2-3 metres from him. He's clearly skittish.

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:30 pm
by jp1885

Harrison doesn’t want to spook the guy or turn this into a confrontation. All we wants is information and maybe persuade him to stop providing the limbs.

“Look, no-one wants you to get in any trouble,” he says, hands out placatingly. “Just give us the lowdown on the deal you’ve got with Corbitt. It can’t be right, all those arms and legs; don’tcha wanna get shot of all that creepy stuff?”

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:42 pm
by HoneyDog
John stops moving.

“Stop screwing around, man” he says. “Surely you can see that the game is up? Tell us about Corbitt, and we don’t tell a living soul about your involvement. We don’t care about you. But if you keep on stalling, you don’t leave us with any other choice. Now what's it going to be?”

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:00 pm
by simonthompson
Tomaszewki looks like he's considering the offer for a moment, then his face seems to spasm and he changes his mind. Avoiding looking directly at the two investigators he says in a high-pitched stutter, "N-n-no. You guys ain't n-no pals of mine. Now leave me alone, I ain't got nothin' to say."

With that, he turns and starts walking away, glancing back as he does so.

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:43 pm
by jp1885

"Fine," Harrison says loudly. "Police it is then. Pity really: work's hard to come by these days, but if you're determined to lose this job..."

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:13 am
by simonthompson
Tomaszewki scurries out through the main entrance, still occasionally looking back at Holst and Wessells and avoiding the stares of the dozen or so visitors in the reception hall.

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:18 am
by jp1885

Harrison watches him go.

"Shall we chase after him John, or go tell Evans what he's just 'confessed'?"

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:14 pm
by HoneyDog
John ignores Harrison and runs after Tomaszewki. He pulls his wallet from his pocket and waves it above his head.

"Wait a moment sir!" he shouts. "You dropped your wallet!"

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:09 pm
by simonthompson
Seeing Wessells running towards him Tomaszewki turns and runs down the steps that lead up to the hospital entrance, pushing aside a couple of approaching visitors.

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:18 pm
by jp1885

Shaking his head at his friend’s impetuousness, Harrison follows him out, walking briskly but trying not to look like he’s giving chase.

He doesn’t want to get into a confrontation, preferring to report the porter to Evans, but is unwilling to leave John to fight alone.

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:29 pm
by HoneyDog
John continues after Tomaszewki, waving the wallet as he goes but trying to close the distance. He wishes he could just shoot the man with his .45.

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:53 am
by simonthompson
Chased by Wessells, Tomaszewki flees down the short approach drive to the hospital and through the ornate stone pillars of the hospital entrance, looking back constantly only to see his pursuer gaining ground.

Outside the gates is the Bolton to Arkham road, busy during daylight and especially so early mornings. With a wild desperation in his eyes Tomaszewki looks back once more to see Wessells just a few yards behind him. As he does so he runs out across the road and unknowingly straight into the path of an oncoming automobile.

To gasps and screams from pedestrian bystanders the vehicle slams into him at a speed of around 35mph, flinging his body up over the bonnet like a rag doll, his head smashing into the windshield as he tumbles over the car.

The vehicle screeches to a stop but too late. Tomaszewki's crumpled and bloody body lays where it was thrown, twenty feet or so from the site of impact, hideously twisted and unmoving.

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:37 pm
by jp1885

“Oh my! Someone call an ambulance!” yells Harrison, turning his head aghast at the scene.

Shaken, he retreats back to the hospital to seek out Evans, aiming to tell him the terrible news.

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:21 pm
by HoneyDog
John curses under his breath, then jogs back to catch up with Harrison.

He catches him by the arm.

"Harrison, let's go. I'm done with this. We're just going to end up in more trouble than we can deal with. They don't know our names, we never gave them. Let's just get out of here."

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:43 pm
by jp1885

"Yes.. Yes, you're right," a flustered Harrison replies. "Let's go. At least we've cut off Corbitt's supply."

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:48 pm
by HoneyDog
John nods.

"Let's get the car and get back to Arkham."

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:36 am
by jp1885

Harrison readily complies.

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:07 am
by simonthompson
The two investigators drive back to Arkham, stunned by the day's events.

The following day a small report on the incident appears in the Arkham Gazette, headlined 'Untimely death of hospital orderly'. The article barely merits three or four sentences and no mention is made of Tomaszewki being pursued, the emphasis being on a tragic motoring accident.

However, two days later a follow-up article makes page 2 of the Gazette and is considerably longer. It details the police discovery of a horde of Satanist paraphernalia in Tomaszewki's small one room apartment in downtown Bolton, along with evidence of substantial drug abuse involving "extremely rare botanic herbs".

The article also quotes a Mr Evans of Bolton Central Hospital as stating "We had no idea of these appalling interests of our former employee, but I can assure your readers that our hospital was not the source of Tomaszewki's drugs."