IC - 21 - The Pit - Jojo

By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: IC - 21 - The Pit - Jojo

Post by Mephistophilis »

Aware of how close he came to being permanently decommissioned the last time he encountered the creature, Jojo moves into a gentle jog. Physical exertion is far from routine for the doctor but even with the damage he has sustained, his synthetic servosystems rapidly engage, and his pace quickens.

Behind him he hears that sound again, click-click-click, and again, click-click-click. Getting nearer. Just the slightest hint of something reaches his olfactory sensors, oily complex hydrocarbons, a trace of acid. He breaks into a run up the incline of smooth black rock. In passing his processors note that his feet stick to the ground more effectively than he would have expected, and his proprioceptors indicate a higher effective gravity than is consistent with known Titan measurements. But he barely has time to think about this because warnings start to register in his internal monitoring systems, his mechanical servomotors starting to show signs of strain.

Click-click-click, he's sprinting, struggling to keep his footing on the glassy stone surface, Click-click...

Can you give me a combined DEX and Zero G roll. The DEX should be easy as I've upped Jojo's stats to his synthetic ratings (that gives him a 95 DEX) but obviously Zero G is more of a challenge for him. He can have a bonus die since the gravity is oddly higher than he would expect so he has a bit more traction.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Zero Gravity 20
1d100
Bonus Die
1d10

With the Bonus Die, it's a 19 which is just barely a normal success for my combined Dex/Zero G skills

Jojo moves quickly and the next set of clicks is closer. He breaks into a zero G job but the clicking is still getting closer. He breaks into a run, activating his radio again, hoping that somehow someone can help him.

"Mayday, mayday. I am being pursued and in danger. Is there anybody out there?"
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Sorry, just waiting for someone in the other thread
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Charging up the slope, Jojo can still hear something behind him, click-click-click, maybe a little farther away now, click-click-click, yes, definitely farther away, he's getting away...

But his internal monitoring systems are screaming for attention, he's red-lining on several of his servomotor actuators, the shear stress in his left leg has exceeded design limits by 67%, and there's hydrodynamic fluid leaking through the patch repair in his chest.

The radio crackles and he can begin to resolve a voice through the noise. 'It's Sam, Jojo. Where exactly are you? Do you know where Kiara is?'

The clicks are starting to fade away behind him, and up ahead Jojo can see lights. Beneath the hole in the rock where he first entered the structure he can make out three figures in Titan surface suits. He's heading towards them at quite a pace...
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"I'm running towards where I came in down the curve." Jojo exclaims into the radio. "I've been trying to reach you but there must be some kind of interference down here. I'm being chased by the thing that impaled me earlier."

Jojo continues to run but slows down his pace as the sounds of the creature fade behind him.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Over his radio, Jojo hears 'Identify yourself!' It does sound like Sam.

Two of the figures unsling what look like weapons, and begin to train them on Jojo.

Even at his slowed rate he'll be on them in a few seconds.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Jojo slows down to make sure they can identify him and puts his hands in the air. "Don't shoot me." He risks a look over his shoulder to see if his pursuer is in sight. He will also check the ceiling to make sure it's not crawling in the wires overhead.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC:   Moving here.  

Return to “The Titan Incident”