IC - 18 - Security - Everyone still alive

By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC - 18 - Security - Everyone still alive

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thanks," said Sam. "Yeah, I did just put one on yesterday. I guess I just didn't sleep well. Strange dreams..."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Zero Gravity 20
1d100
Bonus Die if someone will help
1d10

Or he will wait for someone to dress him. :roll:

Jojo will attempt to get into one of the suits. Although technically he doesn't need to, he doesn't want to advertise to anyone who might be looking that he is not human.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Kiara grins ruefully at Li through her visor.

“Yeah I hear you - thanks.”

“So I guess we fly on ahead? I guess we don’t have enough fuel to circle around while the others catch up in the rover. If we want to arrive at the same time, should we wait?”
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Nicole chooses a suit and deftly slides into it. She checks her seals and air. Then she clumps over to anyone else who still needs a hand.
“Buddy system?” She checks their suit over too.
ZeroG 70 roll: 33, bonus die :2

Im kind of glad Virgil isn’t here; he would have been a liability with just his office skills.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Guess I'm with you then, Nicole," says Sam.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Don’t worry, it will be fun!” Nicole grins. “Moses, you coming with us? I don’t know what’s best, Kiara. You could give us a head start maybe but be ready to fly out if there’s any trouble here. Can we carry extra fuel for you?”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“That’s a great idea Nicole,” Kiara replies. “Let’s make sure we keep in radio contact, in case you need us to fly out earlier.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

After helping Jojo into his suit, as Isabella continues to look daggers at him, Moses slowly and clearly reluctantly suits up himself. He ensures that everyone is tuned into the same frequency on their suit radios and tramps into the Landing Bay to do the same with Ling Li and Kiara. 'The suit radios aren't long distance so make sure you tune in the copter to the same frequency and we should be able to pick you up in the rover if the weather stays settled.'

'Of course' says Ling. 'Don't bother with trying to carry any fuel for us, I'm not risking refuelling out on the surface, we're going straight to this Pumping Station 6 over the methane sea. If you're not there we're leaving without you. I suggest you find someone to help you drive that rover' she says to Moses. He mumbles something and hauls himself back to the Garage, his magnetic boots clanking as they get pulled down to stick to the metallic floor with each step. 'Anyone else able to help me out with driving this thing?' he asks, studiously avoiding looking at Isabella. There's a sound somewhere between a sigh and someone blowing a raspberry over the radio, 'I've driven one of these once or twice' says Isabella. Moses doesn't say any more but the look in his eyes through the suit visor shows this was not what he was hoping for.

So Moses, Isabella, Sam, Nicole, and Jojo are heading out onto Titan's surface to drive the long way to Waystation in a rover? That's going to take 10hrs or so. We'll split off into a thread for the journey. What equipment are you taking, which of the weapons are coming with you and which with Ling and Kiara in the copter? So the copter will take about 3hrs - are you staying around the colony for 7hrs then leaving? What do you want to do while you're waiting? All travel times are approximate and might depend on what happens including piloting/driving rolls. Someone asked about fuel for the copter - it'll have enough to get to Waystation and back if the journey isn't much longer than 3hrs each way - it won't have enough to circle over the rover on its journey. The rover will have enough fuel to get there and back.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

That sounds right to me. I'll bring all of the equipment and weapons I'm carrying. I believe I have a shotgun, a flamethrower, a cutting torch, and a stun baton. I'm also bringing my toolkit, of course.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

I'm bringing my medical kit and med supplies. If we can get an isolation/quarantine pod or two in the back of the rover, I would like that. I have a stun baton and a cutting torch as weapons.

"I think we should try to time it so we get there at the same time." Jojo says to the others. "It may be dangerous and we should all be backing each other up."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Agreed. Tell us when your ETA is around two and a half hours and we’ll take off. In the meantime we’ll ascertain the state of the rest of the colony and maybe find a way to neutralise the infection.”

Kiara slings her shotgun awkwardly over her shoulder.

“Li, have you got a weapon?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Maybe the chopper should plan to arrive shortly before we do," says Sam. "That way you can scout from above before we drive into whatever may be there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Yeah, makes sense. Contact us a little earlier then,” Kiara replies.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Nicole has her pistol, not sure # rounds; shotgun and stun baton. A cutting torch and visor in case we have to break in and something to restrain any angry miners would be good. Does the rover carry emergency air tanks and/or suits?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Moving here.

As the other seal the Garage in preparation for boarding the rover, Kiara and Ling Li return to the Landing Bay. 'I don't have a weapon' says Li, 'What are you expecting?' She starts to initialise one of the copters, the lights on the landing pad brighten to illuminate the aircraft. 'Isn't she a beauty' Li mutters rapturously.

So weapons - this is my understanding:
Kiara - Cutting torch (9 charges), shotgun
Ling - Unarmed

The shotgun is loaded with 5 riot rounds. There is a box of another 20 shells, also riot rounds. The cutting torches have a max of ten charges each then the tank needs to be changed, Kiara has used one charge.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“I’ll take your word for it.”

Kiara can’t help but smile at Li’s enthusiasm, despite the grim circumstances.

“So we’ve got a little time before we need to catch up with the rover. Perhaps I could run some more tests on the alien material.”

She stops, suddenly realising that Li hasn’t witnessed the recent, horrible, events.

“Actually, you’d better sit down for a minute…”

She proceeds to tell Li about what has transpired.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

By my reckoning, the only material Kiara has is a sample of is a fragment of the crystal shard they pulled out of Jojo. Does that sound right?

'Shit' says Li, simply. 'So that's what that all channels broadcast was about. They said we should sit tight, wait for the cavalry to arrive.'
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Yeah, sounds right. She’ll try the medical lab too for good measure if she can. Will post as much tomorrow.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“I’m not sure the cavalry is coming,” Kiara says ominously. “I want to run some more tests. Let’s try to get to the sickbay and grab a sample of the infected material. Then we’ll take it from there.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kiara's moving here.

Return to “The Titan Incident”