IC - 17 - AI Core - Everyone Except Virgil

By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.

Moderator: Mephistophilis

aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: IC - 17 - AI Core - Everyone Except Virgil

Post by aine »

Nicole staggers to her feet. “Steinmann? My god, they preserved him? Why?” She peers closer at the column,
“Ugh, the man was a total arse but what a way to go! With any luck he’s just as much a pain in the backside for whoever put him in there. Look, he’s hooked up with electrodes.”
Spot hidden, 60 roll: 47
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Hello Science Officer Khan. All CENTRAL artificial intelligences require a non-linear, non-deterministic organic component to anchor the highly parallel quantum computers. Following a system-wide failure in 2178 the Barnard's Rest CENTRAL Intelligence has incorporated tissue derived from deceased miners. All convict miners remain the property of the colony and ultimately Richter Dynamics after death. If you attempt to disconnect organic components this will have a critical impact on my functioning.'

There is the slightest hint of a pause.

'Recent organic material has been unreliable and needs to be refreshed frequently. Earlier today the organic substrate failed and was replaced. I am now operating at one hundred percent efficiency.'

Take a 1/1d6 Sanity check for seeing Virgil's sorry state
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

[31] = 31
SAN 64 d%: [ 31 ] = 31
Pass, so SAN now 63.

Covering her mouth to hide her revulsion, Kiara takes a step back from the obscenity.

“Steinmann was an executive officer, not a convict miner! Even if this were ethical, you’re going way above your remit! You have recognised my authority; disconnect the organic element and restore to factory settings! This order cannot be countermanded!” she yells, hysterically.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Anyone wants to disconnect Virgil without damaging other computer systems roll Mechanical Repair or Medicine. You can still proceed if you fail but at risk of damaging other systems, or you can decide to stop as you're not sure what to disable
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sam shudders as she disconnects Virgil, but she barely keeps it together. "I'm doing you a favor," she says.

Mechanical Repair roll (60% skill) to disconnect the cylinder:
d%
Sanity roll (current level 61) for seeing Virgil:
d%
Sanity loss:
1d6
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

[13] = 13
Mechanical repair 40 d%: [ 13 ] = 13
Hard pass!

“This is for everybody’s good…” mutters Kiara as, through gritted teeth, she also sets to work.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Sanity 96
1d100

Medicine 80
1d100

Jojo will attempt to monitor the medical portion of the disconnection but he is distracted by the weirdness of this situation and how much beyond his normal operating parameters this is.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

sanity 55 roll:74, 4

Nicole can only stare, horrified at the grisly end of Virgil.
“What is this thing that’s doing this?” She whispers.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Spending 1 Luck can make the Medicine roll a success, if it's necessary.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

By targeting the pumps and other mechanical systems that seem to constitute the life support system Sam and Kiera are able to isolate the cylinder containing the remains of Virgil.

'Science Officer Khan, Engineer Golightly, please stop interfering with the organic maintenance systems, there is a risk of catastrophic failure of all organic subsystems.'

They disconnect all the cables, pipes, and tubing from the cylinder, spilling a viscous red fluid like blood onto the floor. The figure inside the cylinder starts to thrash, writhing on its mechanical hook.

'Time to catastrophic organic failure, five minutes, quantum computer decoupling from kernel, auxiliary systems in autonomous mode...Help...help me...'

The voice changes, still coming over the hidden speakers, 'Something's wrong, it hurts, I can't see anything...'

Then it changes again, a harsh, grating tone, 'Welcome. I am Ëka-Galä, we are Ëka-Galä, we are H'rada-Theka Pannakar, the Swimmer in the Void. Come to Waystation, to the Gate of Tawil at’Umr. Join us.'

Sam again feels a strong desire to cross the methane sea to Waystation

Inside the cylinder the pink liquid becomes more turbulent, machinery starting to move inside. Mechanical arms swing and pivot, there are rotary saw blades whirring, little currents of dark red blood swirling about the spinning blades as the remnants of Virgil's flesh are systematically diced and rendered until the metallic mounts and probes are picked clean of flesh while the fluid runs red with blood. Then the fluid rapidly drains, like Virgil has been liquidised and then flushed away.

Floor level LED lights come on, intense white lights that flash progressively towards the door. Then red beacons start to flash along the walls and a whining siren starts.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let's get out of here!" says Sam. "We need to go to Waystation and put an end to this once and for all. We've put it off for long enough." She tries to resist the urge to go to Waystation. "Or maybe we should evacuate everyone and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

[14] = 14
Computer use 65 d%: [ 14 ] = 14
Hard pass

“Wait; we can’t go anywhere where until CENTRAL is restored to normal, otherwise there’s no telling what it’ll do,”

Focussing intently, Kiara keeps working on the systems.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Nicole tries to persuade herself that being liquidised is better than becoming part of an alien machine. Then she pulls herself together.
“Why Waystation, Sam? The alien is here; it’s tampered with CENTRAL and is obviously in control of the whole colony here. Surely we should be evacuating everyone and sending a mayday- from the ship, not through CENTRAL.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I just...feel like I should go there," says Sam. "I can't explain it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"I believe that Kiara is correct, Sam. We need to get CENTRAL rebooted without whatever this thing is. Your mind is obviously succumbing to its unnatural compulsions as so many others in this station." Jojo intones. "If you don't feel competent to assist, you should find something to plug your ears so that you can resist should things get more tenuous."

Now that you know I am an android, androids cannot expend luck which is why I haven't used any during this scenario. Sorry!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"No, I can resist it," says Sam. "It's not the sound of the voice that's making me feel that way. It's been like that since the dream I had last night. I'll help how I can."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

In the confusing maelstrom of flashing white and red lights, and the incessant wailing of alarms, Kiara accesses the nearest terminal. As far as she can acertain the organic components were integral to the functioning of the CENTRAL AI. Something confirmed by Isabella as she rushes up beside her.

'All CENTRAL intelligences need an organic component to interface with the quantum processors. Usually it's just a floating lump of tissue, little more than lab grown cell cultures across a biofilm substrate. I've never even heard of anything like this.'

Kiara is able to initiate some autonomous subroutines to try and prevent a catastrophic failure of the whole colony systems but she can't find any way to reset CENTRAL without replacing the organic component.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Jojo, do you have the necessary organic components to interface with the computer?" asks Sam.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"I'm a doctor, not an engineer. What is the backup if CENTRAL goes down? There must be a backup system." Jojo replies but he goes over to look over the interfaces to CENTRAL anyway. "The tissue is contaminated so we have to bypass the normal interface to gain neural control of the systems."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

As she works, Kiara listens to the conversation with half an ear. The word ‘mayday’ gives her an idea: with CENTRAL reduced to basics and hopefully free of external control, it should be easier to broadcast a warning message on all frequencies.

Return to “The Titan Incident”