IC - 17 - AI Core - Everyone Except Virgil

By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: IC - 17 - AI Core - Everyone Except Virgil

Post by Mephistophilis »

Jojo continues to stand, motionless at the control panel, staring blankly into the middle distance. For a moment there is a spasm of something across his face, Is that pain or distress? Surely not, he's a synthetic, they don't feel any emotions. Then his face twists into something like a grimace, or a sneer, but only for a second.

The directive from Richter Dynamics seems to worm its way deeper into Jojo's mind. He can feel it slipping through his more peripheral cognitive subsystems deep into his core personality construct. It is disconcerting, violating to see his most fundamental identity being rewritten so casually.

And then, in an instant, he understands. Possible alien life and artefacts have been discovered, here, on Titan. This is momentous. He must investigate and recover whatever he can, it is his duty. Any other priorities are subsidiary to this goal. The idea that an android cannot cause serious harm or, by omission of action, allow serious harm to come to a human being seems ridiculously parochial in the light of these new revelations. After all, he has already killed two humans who were corrupted by this alien infection, how is he even to know who else has been tainted?

OOC:   So I think for his Bout of Madness Jojo will completely internalise the directive to find and retrieve the aliens/artefacts and for his underlying insanity he will reject his previously hard coded inability to harm humans, instead thinking of them all as potentially corrupted.
Fdd1d10 - since we're not in combat and rounds are basically abstract I'll say the bout of madness lasts for 20mins

pH1d10  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I don't think we ever could rely on CENTRAL," says Sam. "Looks like we'll have to go out to the lake after all."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Kiara nods.

“Yeah, I agree; as much as I don’t want to.”
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Snapping out of his trance, Jojo turns to the others.

"Yes, we must go to the lake immediately. That is the only way to resolve this."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Nicole watched Jojo with some suspicion; wasn’t that just what they were supposed to look out for? She decides to keep her eye on him for further oddities.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The alarms and flashing lights suddenly stop, an eerie calm descends.

''The lake it is, but what do we expect to find there? Couldn't we just get back in the shuttle and leave this to Richter Dynamics to sort out?' asks Isabella. She follows Nicole's sceptical gaze towards Jojo and sidles up beside him. 'Dr Johnson, you dispatched Tyson and his colleague pretty efficiently out there. I thought synthetics couldn't harm humans?' she asks casually.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"They were both infected," says Sam. "Maybe that's enough of a loophole that they no longer qualify as human? I don't know, I'm not a cyberneticist."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"They were obviously not human. You saw that. They have already killed Virgil and attempted to terminate me also."Jojo responds to Isabella. "If you wish to wait here until you are infected, that is certainly your choice. However, I believe the best course of action is to go to the Waystation."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Jojo, if it helps I could take quick a look at you before we head out,” says Kiara. “After all, you’ve been through a lot.”
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Yes, it’ll be hazardous enough out there; you’ll want everything functioning properly and you’ve taken some serious battering already.
Kiara could give you a check up whilst we find some suits and weapons.”
Nicole says, thinking about supplies.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"I would not object to getting my systems working better. I do not believe I could survive much more damage but we have to make it fast. Getting to the Waystation is more important than my survival." Jojo replies.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Isabella throws Kiara a knowing look, 'I'd be happy to help you take a look at Dr Johnson's systems, see if we can't get him running more smoothly.'

'I suppose there might be suits in the transport hub but where are we going to get any more weapons?' asks Moses. 'We've got the incinerators and the cutting torches, Marshal Favre's pistol, and that shotgun. Surely we don't need anything else? ' he says, nervously eyeing the carbonised remains of Tyson and his colleague.

So what's the plan? Jojo, Isabella, and Kiara could go to engineering for a spot of fiddling about inside his head. Weapons wise you have the shotgun loaded with 3 low lethality riot rounds, Nicole's gun which should have 2 rounds left in the magazine (Nicole will have a further 7 round magazine in her quarters). Moses's incinerator only has one more shot left, I think Sam's has two left. The cutting torches have ten charges each then the tank needs to be changed, I think Sam has 8 charges left and Kiara 9.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I can help with the repairs," says Sam. "After that, maybe we should all go to Security. They'll have more weapons and ammo there. Live ammo too, not just riot rounds."

That sounds right to me. I also have a pistol that one of the guards carried.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

[33] = 33
Electrical repair 55 d%: [ 33 ] = 33
Pass

As Kiara does her best to check Jojo’s systems for faults, she replies.

“Yeah, I think security should be our next stop.”
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Are our comms working again between the team members in case we get separated? Which I don’t advise.” Nicole says darkly.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The first stop is the Medical Centre where Kiara and Isabella connect Jojo up to the diagnostics suite using the physical access port behind his ear. Isabella gives a look of disgust as she peels back Jojo's synthetic skin to reveal the port and plugs it in. 'Much higher transfer speeds than the using the close field in your fingers.' She fiddles around with the terminal while Kiara probes his electronics. Eventually she says 'All looks okay, I've cleared a few conflicts from the buffers, should help your decision making speed.'

LLHdp70%(35%)d%

The pistol being carried by Tyson was actually Nicole's gun that she dropped then Virgil picked it up and took it with him into the vents. That explains why there's so many rounds spent. It's seen a thing or two. So I think there's only the one pistol.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Security next, then," says Sam.

In that case, I'll hold onto the shotgun for now unless someone else wants it, since I actually have better than base level in it. Nicole should use the pistol.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper