IC - 16 - Cybernetics - Everyone Except Virgil

By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

IC - 16 - Cybernetics - Everyone Except Virgil

Post by Mephistophilis »

Day 2
12th March 2189
07:45 Earth Central European Time
Barnard's Rest Colony, Titan

Leaving the Engineering Facility hauling various tools and parts they rush across the colony to the Medical Clinic where they find Nurse Steve Richards. Squeezing into the cramped off-white space they lead Dr Johnson into the surgical suite and lie him down on the operating table, leaving a trail of blue drips behind him.

Nurse Richards looks wide eyed at the state of Jojo. 'I don't understand. This doesn't make sense. An android. That...wait, actually, maybe that explains a lot.' Pulling on purple nitrile gloves he strips off Jojo's shirt and inspects the wound in his chest.

'What the hell happened?'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC - 16 - Cybernetics - Everyone Except Virgil

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Jojo was impaled by a crystal spike," says Sam. "I cut it out with a cutting torch, but the internal systems may still be compromised, infected if you will.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

“We need him back in some kind of working order,” explains Kiara. “But be careful not to touch any of that stuff. I’ll also need a sample of the foreign material to run some tests on.”
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

"Just get it out of me. I don't have much time left." Jojo struggles to say.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Richards busies himself around Jojo cutting back his synthetic skin to expose the complex machinery underneath. Shit, sorry, do you need anaesthetic while I do that?' he asks Jojo embarrassedly.

'I'm not sure what I can do. You don't need a nurse, or even a surgeon, you need a cyberneticist.'

Okay this is how it works. To extract the remnants of the shard, stabilise Jojo and maybe heal a HP you need a successful Mechanical Repair check. It'll take an hour or so. Someone else can help and roll it as well, the one assisting could also roll Physics instead of Mechanical Repair. Either one succeeding is a success. An additional hour and a successful Electrical Repair can heal another HP (this can also be assisted with Physics or Electrical Repair).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We've got an engineer and a computer expert," says Sam. "Together, we'll have to do." She sets to work trying to extract the remnants of the shard and effect what repairs she can.

Mechanical Repair roll (60% skill) working on Jojo:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Spoiler:
Physics 60 [23] = 23
d%: [ 23 ] = 23
Kiara assists as best she can.
OOC:   Hmm, I appear to have rolled twice. Both are passes luckily!  
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Working slowly and methodically, Sam, with the assistance of Kiara, prys the crystal shard out of Jojo's torso. They then set about correcting the most serious damage to the hydrodynamic system, which has lost a lot of fluid that they can't easily replace. There isn't much they can do about the structural damage to his endoskeleton and they can see that some fairly important core components have been compromised, in particular, the electronic submatrix.

Richards and Moses try to assist as best they can, but this is mostly passing tools and mopping up hydrodynamic fluid from the area they're working in.

Once the shard is removed Jojo's systems record a rapid drop-off in contamination due to the activity of his intrinsic repair protocols, although he is sure some still remains somewhere inside him.

Having other people poking and prodding within his body is disconcerting and his self-monitoring subsystems record significant structural displacement - something he had previously learned to label as 'pain'.

-----

Heal 1 HP. He still has a Major Wound. Test against Sanity for having someone cutting you up - San loss 1/1d3

Isabella takes Nicole into the clinic room.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"How are you functioning now?" Sam asks Jojo, still a little weirded out by the whole thing.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Sanity 96
1d100

Jojo sits up and contemplates the hole in his chest, running diagnostics on his subsystems.

"The alien organism appears to be greatly diminished. I believe what remains of my repair systems will be able to prevent any further spread of the contamination." He looks at Sam and Kiara.

"Thank you for rendering assistance. I believe I have a better understanding of pain after having experienced your clumsy surgical techniques."

Without waiting for any response, he continues, "I shall need something to cover up this damage. It wouldn't do for people to see that the station's doctor is not entirely human."
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“If we’re heading out to Waystation, I guess we’ll need surface suits. That’ll hide your, um, injuries,” Kiara suggests.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Um, you're welcome," says Sam, reminding herself that Jojo isn't human and doesn't know he said something offensive. "Yes, we need to head out for Waystation, but first there's that other thing we need to do." She meets Kiara's eyes. "No reason Jojo can't suit up now, though. Or just throw on a clean shirt for now, if you prefer."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Nurse Richards starts suturing Jojo's synthetic skin and constructs a flap to fix over the hole in his chest. 'I can't do any cybernetic repairs but at least I can stitch you back up.'

If you want to take another hour you can do an Electrical Repair/Physics to patch up the electronic submatrix
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We can try some additional cybernetic repairs," says Sam, "but it'll take about an hour. Do we have the time?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“I suppose the longer we take, the more people could get infected,” muses Kiara.

“If Jojo is operational enough, we should press on.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's up to you," Sam says to Jojo. "If you're functional enough, we'll go now. Otherwise, we'll continue with the repairs."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"I believe that more work would be better. What you did was basically triage. I still require stabilization repairs." Jojo replies.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Electrical repair 55 [18] = 18
d%: [ 18 ] = 18

"Well, fair enough, let’s get started then Jojo," says Kiara, her hands flying expertly over the android's electronic systems.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sam assists Kiara, though she clearly doesn't need the help.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Sam and Kiara are able to reroute Jojo's electronic submatrix and reboot most of his damaged systems. Outside of a complete service and recondition there isn't anything more they can do. Richards finishes stitching up Jojo's chest and has done a remarkably good job all things considered, 'You're going to need some new clothes, I'll see if Dr Holzer left anything that might fit you.'

Heal 1 further HP. You still have a Major Wound but otherwise you're fully functional and no longer obviously a synthetic if Richards gets you some new clothes that aren't soaked in the blue hydrodynamic fluid

Return to “The Titan Incident”