IC - 16 - Something in the Walls - Virgil

By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

IC - 16 - Something in the Walls - Virgil

Post by Mephistophilis »

Day 2
12th March 2189
06:45 Earth Central European Time
Barnard's Rest Colony, Titan

Virgil makes good progress through the winding ducting. His limber and conditioned body slipping along the metal sheets as he follows the trail of white fluid.

The deeper he goes into the ventilation system the darker it gets but he is still able to make out the trail, even though it is becoming thinner and more spread out. Somewhere quite far off he thinks he can make out a tapping sound, like something hard drumming on metal.

Roll Navigation to get a sense of where in the colony building the ducts are taking him. You can have a bonus die for that since it isn't that big.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: IC - 16 - Something in the Walls - Virgil

Post by aine »

Having spent the long flight to Titan poring over maps, Virgil can remember the layout quite well.
He takes a measured, calming breath and carries on squirming.
Navigate, 10, roll 8
Great image: he must be frankly bonkers going down there; but he’s still hoping he can do a deal with that alien. :(
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

As Virgil wriggles along the tapping sound continues, it is echoing through the ducting and seems to be a bit nearer. It is accompanied by a fainter, higher pitched noise, click-click-click and something else he can't quite make out, it sounds a bit like CENTRAL's voice.

From the twists and turns it is difficult to figure out his exact locations but Virgil is fairly sure he is somewhere in or near the Security Complex.

Can you please roll a Listen.

OOC:   I'm enjoying Virgil, he's a bit of an arsehole but you have to respect his commitment to getting the job done  
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“That figures.” Virgil mutters to himself. He reckons CENTRAL is in cahoots with the alien and where better to base themselves than the security offices. He wriggles on as quietly as he can.
Listen, 50. Roll: 24. I was basing his personality on Ash in Alien and then Jojo turns out to be an android. Nice twist!
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

It is faint but Virgil can hear 'Caution, contamination in O2 circuits. Caution, contamination in O2 circuits. Purging ventilation system in 10 seconds...9 seconds...8 seconds....'

Whatever Virgil decides to do I suspect a DEX check will be needed if he intends to move anywhere quickly through the ducts.

-----

I got the idea of different agendas from the new Alien RPG. Don't really like that RPG in terms of the mechanics but I thought I'd steal that bit
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Oh crap. Vigil looks around rapidly for an escape route.
Dexterity,
70. Roll: 32. Luck 50 to find a safe conduit: roll 76
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Virgil scrabbles as quickly as he can through the vents - the sound of CENTRAL growing louder, 'Caution, contamination in O2 circuits. Caution, contamination in O2 circuits. Purging ventilation system in 5 seconds...4 seconds...3 seconds....'

Turning a blind corner he sees sterile bright light flooding the ducting ahead of him, through an open ventilation outlet without a grille. As he wriggles over to the opening - '2 seconds...1 second....' - he peers briefly down into the room below, it seems empty, and he propels himself out of the vent.

There is a low rumble in the duct behind him followed by a rush of air and as he falls into the room he looks back to see a spurt of bright flame which spills out of the open vent accompanied by an intense dry heat.

Roll Zero/Low G for the landing
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Zero G, 20 roll:33

Virgil has no time to prepare for landing and dives out of the vent just ahead of the ball of flame.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Flailing his arms as he careens through the air Virgil crashes hard into the floor, jolting his shoulder.

Virgil takes 1HP of damage

Looking around he finds himself in a small room, a low polymer bench topped with padding against the back wall, maybe a bed. A squat looking toilet in another corner. The upper half of the front wall is set with a large window looking out onto a larger room. He can't see what is in there from his position lying on the floor. In the same wall is a reinforced metal door that stands slightly ajar.

Virgil can hear voices outside the room.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil stays low on the floor but hurries to the door: this looks like a cell and he doesn’t want to be shut in. Then he stops behind it and listens to the voices: have they heard his entrance?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Virgil can make out two voices, one of them sounds familiar. '...What's this about purging the vents?...' '... Probably nothing, you know CENTRAL's been acting screwy for a while...' '...Yeah, didn't Kingsley say he changed the CPU...' '...Still not right...'

Roll Stealth
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

stealth, 45 roll:90 damn those squeaky floorboards.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Peering through the doorway, Virgil sees a familiar face, Security Officer Tyson, talking to a woman also dressed as a colonial security officer.

'What was that noise?' asks Tyson as he starts to walk towards the cell where Virgil is hiding.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil realises he’ll have to put his search on hold for a bit so he stands, brushes himself off and opens the door, pretending to look relieved.
“Ah, Officer Tyson, I’m glad to see you. That damn CENTRAL had me locked in a room all night so I made my escape through the vent.” He indicates aloft.
“I had no idea where I’d end up.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Tyson starts at the sight of Virgil, then he narrows his eyes, 'What are you doing in there?'

I think Virgil will need a social check to get Tyson on side - Charm/Persuade/Fast Talk/Intimidate or Credit Check
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Credit check, 20 roll: 10

“Like I said; I climbed down from the vent. But you’re right to be cautious; we’ve got problems here and we need a diligent head of security.”
Virgil smiles thinly and moves forward out of the cell.
“CENTRAL for starters.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Tyson frowns at Virgil's explanation but a small smile plays on his lips at the mention of the newly vacant Head of Security post.

From outside the cell his companion asks, 'What's going on in...' She's cut off suddenly by a wet, gurgling sound.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil’s eyes widen, that doesn’t sound healthy. He puts his finger to his lips and indicates to Tyson to loosen his weapon (if he has one). He silently backs as far from the door as possible, keeping his eyes locked on Tyson’s.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Tyson draws his stun baton and turns around to look back out into the room beyond. 'Wha...' he starts as another figure stumbles into him, blood dripping from her mouth, the familiar sheen of crystal reflecting from a crimson wound in her chest.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Christ! It’s got her!” He whispers in horror and backing away. Wishing that he had his weapon with him and vowing to make his quarters his next stop, Virgil looks around frantically for an escape route, wondering if he can climb back to the vent.
He pulls out the pistol and holds it ready to shoot at the next creature that might shamble through the door...

Return to “The Titan Incident”