IC - 15 - Administrative Building - Everyone

By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: IC - 15 - Administrative Building - Everyone

Post by Mephistophilis »

Sam carefully cuts through the shard with the torch, as close to his body as she dares. It takes much longer than she was expecting and it aerosolises in a disconcerting way, the smell is like a mixture of oil, alcohol, and acid. The crystal fragment clutters to the ground in a pool of white liquid and blue hydrodynamic fluid.

The centre of Jojo's chest shows a smooth, pearlescent cut surface.
Jojo,Still relying only on his innate self-repair systems, his adaptive nanodefences exhausted, Jojo's internal monitors register a slackening in the previously relentless stream of contaminating material. He has bought himself some time but he still estimates that his remaining defences will fail in the next 30mins unless the rest of the shard is removed. On the plus side his motor systems seem back online.
Kiara can't see anything that she could use to make some kind of EMP device. She does note that they have cutting torches, incinerators, and a handgun.

Scanning the walls, Virgil sees several ventilation outlets, all but one has a metal grille affixed to the front. They're not in the ceiling but high up in the wall. The metal ventilation ducting hangs from the ceiling. Virgil finds a side table and stands on it to try and reach the open vent. He notices some of the white substance on the edge of the vent.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"How are you feeling now, Jojo?" asks Sam, taking care not to touch the crystal with her hand. "Do you have feelings?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Jojo looks down at the damage to his chest. He is able to stand now that the shard has been cut in half.

"I do have some feeling but I have to maintain most of my power to holding this contaminant at bay. What you did bought me some time but I must remove the rest of this foreign object from my systems or I will be compromised as was Administrator Kingsley."

Looking over at the ARM robot blocking their path, he continues. "Is anyone able to do a hard shut down on that thing?"
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Kiara gingerly holds up the pistol she took off Nicole.

"We could use this I suppose?"
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

“Don’t even think about it.” Says a slightly muffled Virgil from the far corner.
“Bullets ricocheting about will bring security down in a shot. Can’t you cut a cable or something?”
“I think Kingsley went this way.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That would require getting uncomfortably close," says Sam. "What about the using the incinerators?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Bringing security here might not be a bad idea,” Kiara replies to Virgil as she eyes the ARM. “But you’re right, being sprayed with ricochets wouldn’t be ideal.”

“Are we all gonna chase after Kingsley through the ducts? Sam, I agree, we could burn out the ARM and get out that way.”
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

ooc, Just checking: an ARM robot is civilian right? With no offensive capabilities?
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Kingsley has left a trail of white goo; he can be tracked through the vents. We’ll lose him if we go any other way.” Virgil shrugs.
“If you’re happy to have him loose about the facility, popping up anywhere and converting one random individual at a time until the whole place is overrun by them then go ahead, Ms Khan.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Kiara clutches her pad to her chest defensively.

"You want to play the action hero? Be my guest. I think I'd be better suited to running tests on that spike Sam's taken out of Jojo and find out what we're up against. I'll need better facilities for that than those in here."
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Virgil,Virgil can jump up to the vent like he did earlier. He's got time to pile up some furniture so he can have a bonus dice - roll Low/Zero G to get up there. If he takes his boots off he can have two bonus dice. I don't think he'll be taking his whole weighted clothing off in front of everyone!
OOC,The ARM is basically a robotic arm on tracks, controlled remotely by CENTRAL. It can have extra tools on it like cutters but it isn't designed as an offensive platform. That's said, if it tried to hit you it'd probably hurt a lot
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Fine. “ says Virgil shortly. “Give me the pistol and I’ll be on my way.”
Zero-G, 20 roll: 36, 7, 1. I’m not quite certain how bonus dice work.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,Essentially just roll another 1d10 and replace the tens of your 1d100 if it is lower
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Ooc, Can I make that a 16 then? If Virgil gets the pistol then he’ll be on his way.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Virgil slips off his shoes and rather gracefully leaps off a small pile of tables and chairs, he grips the edges of the open metal vent and hauls himself inside.

The only handgun is the one dropped by Nicole. Kingsley has presumably taken his with him.

Isabella talks in a low, soothing voice to Nicole but she continues to rock and sob.

Moses hefts his incinerator, 'Um, we can't really stand around here all day. The Doctor says he needs...um, medical attention? Will I torch this robot?'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sam grips her own incinerator. "You mean, will we torch it?" she says. "I think we should, and I haven't heard anyone tell us not to, so..."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil takes Nicole’s discarded handgun, checking it is loaded, and jumps up into the vent. Once inside, he looks for white goo and follows the trail if there is anything.
Listen, 50 roll: 52. Is it light enough to see?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kiara still has Nicole's handgun as far as I can tell. Virgil could try and snatch it off her, or ask for it nicely
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Kiara will happily hand the gun over.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Shall we?' says Moses and he unleashes a stream of flame at the ARM, he sweeps the jet of inflammable liquid across the doorway, torching the dividing wall more than the robot, which just sits there, completely immobile.

Sam can use Firearms Flamethrower - which I think is 30% for her as she has another firearms 50% or above - she can have a bonus 1d10 roll (replace the tens die if it is better) since the ARM is stationary

-----

Virgil takes the handgun from Kiara and then jumps up and wriggles into the ducting, it is pretty dark but a little light comes in through joints in the vents and through some of the ventilation outlets. He can't hear anything over the noise of his own body crashing against the metal panels. Initially he finds it fairly easy to follow the trail of white viscous fluid, but as he gets deeper into the ducting he finds it becoming a tighter squeeze and harder to make out the fluid in the limited illumination.

Let's have a DEX roll to squeeze through the ducts and a Spot Hidden to follow the trail. Gun's loaded, 7 rounds in the magazine, one in the chamber

Return to “The Titan Incident”