IC - 12 - Medical Clinic - Everyone

By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: IC - 12 - Medical Clinic - Everyone

Post by Mephistophilis »

Nicole looks perturbed, 'Do you think CENTRAL will just stand by and let you turn it off? How will you get close enough? Perhaps I should come with you.' She taps the gun holstered at her hip.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah, that's a good idea," says Sam.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

“Perhaps Isabella should come too - she’s a dab hand at this kind of thing.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Last I saw, Isabella was in that bar, 'The Claim Jumper', she looks like she enjoys a drink or three so I hope she's still sober. We could put in a call to her at least' says Nicole.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Sounds good to me," says Sam. "Let's go see if she's there. We'll have to be careful what we say once we leave this room, though. CENTRAL will be able to observe us."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

"Montrose's body is here and I've done what I could while under quarantine. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to determine much." Jojo says. "Perhaps I will learn more as whatever reaction is taking place continues to progress. Without knowing what we are dealing with, I'm not comfortable doing a full post mortem with no quarantine protocols in place. On the other hand, if you go out to the Waystation or Pumping Station #6 or whatever you want to call it, I'd like to accompany you. Perhaps there is a clue there."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

“I’ve got a report to write up.” Says Virgil. “Keep me updated.” He says to Jojo and Sam.
Keeper,Virgil will actually go to Kingsley’s office to organise transport of the package.
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

"If any of you have any medical background, I'd be glad to show you what I've discovered so far. Maybe I'm missing something." Jojo says before everyone leaves. "Never hurts to have more eyes looking at things and if worst comes to worst, perhaps what you see will allow you to stay away from anything like that at the Waystation."
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,So Virgil is going to do some paperwork, do Sam and Keira want to look at what Jojo's found or go straight to Jack's Play looking for Isabella? What will Jojo do in the meantime? I presume you'll all reconvene later (maybe tomorrow since it must be 11pm or so) to visit Waystation.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Mephistophilis wrote:
OOC,So Virgil is going to do some paperwork, do Sam and Keira want to look at what Jojo's found or go straight to Jack's Play looking for Isabella? What will Jojo do in the meantime? I presume you'll all reconvene later (maybe tomorrow since it must be 11pm or so) to visit Waystation.
Kiara is happy to take a look before she heads off.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Jojo offers to show them Montrose's body, still within the plastic sheeting of the mortuary trolley.
Anyone looking at the body,Although only part of his body is visible, you can see that the whole top of [b]Montrose[/b]'s head has been blasted off, leaving a ragged bloody hole. [b]Montrose[/b] appears wasted, there are some red sores on his skin, but his face, arms, and upper chest, basically all of his skin that you can see is almost completely covered with blotches of an olive green powdery substance with a slightly filamentous surface, like microscopic hairs. [ooc]If you saw him alive, it is clear this has progressed markedly since then.[/ooc] You have never seen anything like this infection, you're not even sure what kind of thing it is. [ooc]SAN check 1/1d4 for seeing Montrose[/ooc] Looking at the body it seems like a surface examination or imaging would be fairly easy but an internal examination (postmortem) with a macroscopic review of organs and histopathology would need wearing a full biohazard getup and take some time. Blood studies (biochemistry, microscopy, and toxicology), or further examination of skin scrapings, including the powdery, filamentous substance would be more feasible.
When they've finished looking at the body, Jojo takes them to a Level 2 biological containment box and shows them the sample he scraped from Montrose previously. It initially appears like a mixture of a soft sand or dust-like substance mixed in with more filamentous material, like a mold or some other fungus. It has an olive or even khaki colour.

Despite the macroscopic appearance the powder and the filaments don't have any obvious cellular structure when observed microscopically.
OOC,Anyone who wants to investigate the material further can roll 1d100 once and then should compare that to their Medicine, Biology, and Chemistry skills and tell me what they've passed
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sam shudders when she views the body. She examines the material, but she has no clue what it is.
OOC,Sanity roll (current level 65) for seeing the corpse: 0 Sanity loss: 2 Science(Chemistry) roll (26% skill) examining the material: 1
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

SAN 65 success so -1 SAN,0
Potential loss,1
D100 roll Fail,2
”I’ve never seen anything like this,” Kiara says, shuddering at the state of the corpse. “I’m lost for words...”
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil decides to follow the others to the mortuary before heading upstairs.
Sanity,501 San loss:1
Montrose is in a far worse state than he is expecting but it’s hard to see very much.
“The body looks mouldy; I didn’t think moulds or plants could grow in the vacuum of space. Where exact was the body found, do we know?”
He takes a cursory glance in the microscope but he is not a boffin and isn’t even sure how to focus it.
Science,1% 0
Ooc,Did Sergei come with us? It’s probably not safe to leave him loitering about.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Nicole doesn't even bother to take a look with the others, she seems to shudder involuntarily, 'I have already seen him. He was in his room, he blew his own head off with a shotgun.' Nurse Richards remains with Sergei.
Sam,It is difficult to analyse the material within the biological containment box and with the limited instruments in the Medical Centre but [b]Sam[/b] is fairly certain she has detected carbon-based compounds, organic chemistry, and she suspects this is a terrestrial pathogen of some kind, maybe a mold or other fungus.
Kiara,Within the constraints of the biological containment box and with the limited instruments available in the Medical Centre she doesn't learn anything more. What she does know is that this is weird.
Virgil,[b]Virgil[/b] has no idea what he's looking at, but neither does it seem anyone else has either. When [b]Virgil[/b]'s done here he can go to this thread: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?uid=6749&f=472&t=7363&start=0#p247464[/url]
OOC,Obviously you can spend Luck. I'm not going to offer pushing the roll but I'll give you some options. With Dr Johnson's permission you could either take the existing samples out of the Level 2 containment box and into the fume hood to take a closer look in the Medical Centre, take them to use on some instruments in the Engineering Centre, or get some more samples from Montrose's body (blood, skin scrapings) - that would involve opening the mortuary trolley. This would allow another 1d100 roll for Medicine/Chemistry/Biology for anyone looking, including Jojo. Depending on which option you take (if any) you might get a bonus die, and each poses different biohazard risks. Since it isn't a pushed roll nothing catastrophic will necessarily happen with a fail - a fumble however... You can also put the body through the scanner. And finally Dr Johnson and Nurse Richards could conduct a full blown autopsy on Montrose, that'd need a few hours and a full biohazard getup. Finally, a reminder, it is 11.30pm after arriving 12hrs ago following a 72hr flight.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I can't tell for certain what this material is," says Sam. "but I'm pretty sure it's organic. I think it's more likely to be a pathogen from Earth rather than some form of life native to Titan. Maybe it's some kind of mold or fungus. We'd need to take it to the fume hood or to Engineering to find out more about it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,If I can do a full post mortem while in hazard gear, I'll do that. Medicine 80 0 1 point off an Extreme Success. I feel lucky?
As the others finish looking at the corpse, Jojo will get it ready to run the body through the scanner while he gets suited up for an quarantine autopsy.

"Nurse Richards, can you help prepare for an autopsy? I know it's been a long day but the more we can find out about this, the better off we will be if this continues to spread."
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil shakes his head. “It’s beyond me, well I’ll be off. Let me know if you find anything.”
He leaves the room.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Sergei makes his excuses and leaves after Virgil, Nicole steps outside with him but soon returns. ’I don't want to alarm anyone but there's one of those ARM things sitting in the middle of the corridor outside.'

Jojo and Richards roll the mortuary trolley into the scanner and leave it there while they start to get changed into full biohazard suits. 'We can use the surgical suite as a containment chamber and then purge it when we've finished' says Richards.

The scanner beeps and Dr Johnson and Nurse Richards go over to the attached terminal to look at the images. Richards whistles, 'Well that's not normal.'
Jojo,The quality of the imaging is very poor with strange artefacts and distortions on both magnetic resonance and x-ray scans. It looks as if there is some dense material in the body, particularly around the skin and subcutaneous tissue, too dense to be natural, more like the interference you see with metal implants. From what [b]Jojo[/b] can ascertain there has been significant trauma to the chest wall, possibly even a penetrating injury. The resolution is not good given the signal degradation but he thinks he can see evidence of atrophy of internal organs including the heart, liver, and brain. The powdery substance on the skin is visible on the imaging, like the material in the subcutaneous tissue it seems surprisingly dense and in the areas where it is particularly visible it seems to be present quite deeply, like it is either infecting downwards from the skin or erupting from within subcutaneous tissues where the other widespread dense material is located. It goes without saying that he has never seen anything like this before.
Nurse Richards gestures to a sort of hatch in the back of the Level 2 containment box, 'We can pass through some samples from the body once we start, bloods, tissue, skin scrapings, that sort of thing, maybe you lot could take a look at it while we're busy cutting him up?'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sam tries to look at the material with the fume hood, but it still defies analysis. "I haven't learned anything more," she says, "but maybe one of you will have better luck. That ARM must be there because CENTRAL is suspicious because it can't see or hear us. Maybe we should reactivate the sensors now that Sergei has left. Hopefully it will think we just disabled them to get him to spill the beans."
OOC,Science(Chemistry) roll (26% skill) analyzing the material with the fume hood: 0
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “The Titan Incident”