IC - 10 - Jack's Play - Sam & Kiara

By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC - 10 - Jack's Play - Sam & Kiara

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah, I gotta go too," says Sam, getting up and following Kiara to the ladies' room.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Virgil watches Sam go, his face blank but his brain working overtime.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kiara,[b]Kiara[/b] makes her way towards the back of the bar. As she passes the booths she can see that most of them are empty. The bathroom door indicates that these are unisex facilities. She walks inside to find a rather dingy looking room, tiled from floor to ceiling with a central island of chrome washbasins and several toilet stalls towards the back. Roll Spot Hidden to try and notice anyone following or anyone in the bathroom.
Sam,[b]Sam[/b] follows [b]Kiara[/b] at a little distance behind. As she passes the booths she can see that most of them are empty. The bathroom door has swung closed behind [b]Kiara[/b]. It indicates that these are unisex facilities. [b]Sam[/b] walks inside to find a rather dingy looking room, tiled from floor to ceiling with a central island of chrome washbasins and several toilet stalls towards the back. Roll Stealth to try and avoid being seen following Kiara if that's what Sam is trying to do.
After the two other women have walked into the bathroom Isabella pours herself another glass of Prosecco. 'So, Mr Company Man, what's going on here that you're not telling us about?'
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Keeper,Spot hidden 37 0
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Keeper,[b]Sam[/b] doesn't bother to sneak in behind [b]Kiara[/b]. She's no good at it, and she really has no reason to be suspicious of her. She's more suspicious of [b]Vigril[/b].
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil keeps looking towards the ladies’. “I don’t know. Maybe you should ask those two who’ve gone for a secret conflab in the toilet.
“No seriously I’m not sure. I think the doctor was covering something up; something that’s made a few colonists go crazy. It could be something that CENTRAL is doing. I want to see how far the rot has spread. It will be interesting to hear what Sergil has to say. But to be honest I’m just here to check on productivity; I’ll continue my inspection and then head home to write the report.
“What’s your opinion?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kiara,Entering the bathroom [b]Kiara[/b] sees no sign of anyone in there but she does notice [b]Sam[/b] following her at some distance behind
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Kiara turns to look behind her and sees Sam. She smiles, thinking it funny how thier bladders must be synchronised, before dissapearing into a cubicle (not only to spend a penny, but read the message from Daddy in peace.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kiara,[b]Kiara[/b] accesses her datapad. There is a message from Earth acknowledging her transmission but not supplying any more useful information about what is happening on Titan.
Sam,[b]Sam[/b] enters the bathroom and sees [b]Kiara[/b] disappearing into one of the stalls with her datapad.
Virgil,[color=#0000FF]'Well something's not right about [b]CENTRAL[/b], that's for sure'[/color] says [b]Isabella[/b]. [color=#0000FF]'But I don't think [b]CENTRAL[/b]'s malfunctioned. I think [b]CENTRAL[/b] is working perfectly. The question I have is why have Richter Dynamics reprogrammed [b]CENTRAL[/b] and what does that new programming do?'[/color] She downs the rest of her glass and fixes him with a cold stare, [color=#0000FF]'And I think you, and [b]Mr Kingsley[/b], might know something about that.'[/color]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kiara and Sam,[b]Sam[/b] gets into the stall next to [b]Kiara[/b]'s and sits down to relieve herself. [color=#BF4000]"Anything you want to say while we're unobserved?"[/color] she asks.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Kiara sighs.
Sam,[color=#800000]"I suppose I'd better come clean, but please don't tell anybody else, 'cos this is embarrassing. My dad's a big-shot in the company; and me, the underachiever of the family, has been sent to report on this Project Waystation - y'know, the excavation on the other side of the lake that I've been trying to tell people about. Looking at the dead doc's notes I'm sure it's got something to do with the craziness that's starting to creep into people around here. I don't know what's going on with CENTRAL, but is it really our biggest problem right now?"[/color]
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil smiles and shrugs,
Isobella,“You have pinpointed my Achilles’ heel, Marshal Favre; I have a strange dyslexia with any sort of computer programming and all it entails. I’m afraid I have no idea what or why CENTRAL has been reprogrammed. I didn’t know it had. But surely there are few people here that have that expertise? Can you not narrow it down from that?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Virgil,[b]Isabella[/b] looks [b]Virgil[/b] over appraisingly. [color=#0000FF]'All CENTRAL artificial intelligences have a core processor that is like a quasi-organic brain, it is non-linear and non-deterministic with highly parallel systems, so it needs a kernel to interface with the rest of the computer architecture through a number of modules that have protocols and subroutines to set parameters on the AI.'[/color] She pauses for a second, [color=#0000FF]'Not going too fast for you I hope?'[/color] She continues, [color=#0000FF]'Now usually these core modules are the same, the same on Ganymede as on Mars, but I can't access them here, I'm locked out. I helped write most of the code for these kernels, I know them better than anyone. There's only one person here on Titan who could do reprogram [b]CENTRAL[/b], and that's me.'[/color] She waits quite a long time, clearly for dramatic effect. She seems to quite enjoy blowing her own trumpet. [color=#0000FF]'So if [b]CENTRAL[/b] wasn't reprogrammed here, it was probably done some time ago, maybe even prior to installation at the station. And if that's the case then it seems most likely to me that it was done at the behest of Richter Dynamics. Which brings me back to my question. Why? What is going on here at Barnard's Rest?'[/color]
OOC,FYI, Marshal Nicole Favre is not here, she was last seen with Montrose. In Jack's Play, in addition to Sam, Kiara, and Virgil is Isabella Garcia, Systems Engineer
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kiara,[color=#BF4000]"I understand,"[/color] says [b]Sam[/b]. [color=#BF4000]"Whatever's going on with Waystation is a problem too. I'm not sure if it's a bigger problem than CENTRAL or not. CENTRAL could vent Barnard's Rest to the atmosphere at any time and kill us all if wants to do it."[/color]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Sam,Kiara shudders. [color=#800000]“That’s a very valid point! Perhaps the two are connected. Once we’ve spoken to this guy, we should all meet up and work out what to do next.”[/color] Finishing up, she flushes and leaves the cubicle to wash her hands. [color=#800000]“See you back at the table,”[/color] she calls back.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Kiara,[color=#BF4000]"Agreed,"[/color] says [b]Sam[/b]. She also flushes and washes her hands, then heads back to the table.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Isobella,Virgil’s expression hardens. “You forget yourself, systems engineer. This facility is Richter Dynamics; [i] I[/i] am Richter Dynamics; [i]you[/i] are working for Richter Dynamics. If CENTRAL is working as initially programmed by Richter Dynamics then your job here is done. You can send me the report.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Virgil,[color=#0000FF]'Yes, that's what I thought'[/color] says [b]Isabella[/b]. She pours a half glass of sparkling wine and necks it in one. She stands and then walks out of the bar without saying another word.
As Sam walks back towards the table she sees Isabella say something to Virgil and then get up and leave.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Vigil turns furious eyes towards Sam and then visibly calms himself down with a breathing technique. He looks at his watch.
“It’s almost time.”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Kiara returns with Sam. Sitting herself down, she smiles and sips her water.

Return to “The Titan Incident”