IC - 9 - Commercial Sector - All except Jojo and Nicole

By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.

Moderator: Mephistophilis

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: IC - 9 - Commercial Sector - All except Jojo and Nicole

Post by jp1885 »

“Yeah, let’s do that,” Kiara agrees, letting her spoon drop into her gloop.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Virgil nods and leads the way out. “Keep your eyes and ears open, it seems we might have a big label on us declaring what we’re about and it might garner some trouble in this lousy pit.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Virgil, Kiara, Sam, Moses, Li, and Isabella head out of the refectory and walk further down the broad corridor towards 'Jack's Play'. Many of the shops lining the street have shut up for the night but a few remain open, including a liquor store and what looks like some kind of convenience store selling soft drinks, snacks, and other refreshments.

Jack's Play seems to be made of the same bulkhead metal as the rest of the colony but someone has decided it would be a good idea to paint it a mixture of pink and white. The paint is still mostly adhering to the metal and the effect is striking to say the least. Like a giant lump of candy. The tasteless neon sign of two people half dressed is strangely appropriate. There are only a few small windows which are blacked out on the inside.

At the entrance stands a tall man in a black suit. Beside the door is a little patch of threadbare crimson carpet and a couple of gold coloured stanchions supporting a thick red rope, presumably for queuing if it becomes busy later.

The doorman is young, maybe early twenties, boyish but attractive, he smiles widely as they approach, 'Welcome to 'Jack's Play'. He takes out a handheld scanner and gestures to them, 'I just need to scan your ID, you know, regulations, then a quick pat down and you're good to go in.'
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“I’ll catch up with you inside.” Virgil says to the others. “I’m going to get something sterilised to eat first at that store.”
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Sizing up the joint, Kiara isn't very impressed, or indeed keen to go in. However her still rumbling stomach convinces her to give the place a try.

She smiles at the doorman.

"Sure, scan away."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sam nods and holds out her ID. Having returned the pistol to Nicole, she is no longer armed anyway.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil turns and walks over to the convenience store to buy something edible in a packet and a canned drink.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The doorman scans Sam and Kiara's IDs and gives them a cursory once over with his scanner before waving them in. Isabella starts to follow them when Moses takes one more look at the gyrating neon figures and says 'I don't really think I'm up for this, I'll see you back at the accommodation.' Li watches him walking away and quickly follows. Isabella shrugs, 'And then there were three.'
OOC,I'll try and get a new scene up in the next day or so
Virgil,[b]Virgil[/b] strolls into the convenience store. He picks up a can of drink and some freeze dried food. The woman behind the counter sticks it into the rehydrator and heats it up for him, [color=#FF8000]'Only good thing on this colony's the coffee I'm afraid'[/color] she says with a weak smile.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Sam & Kiara,Moving here [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=472&t=7309#p244992[/url]
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“At least your food is edible. You don’t mind if I eat it here?” Virgil swipes his payment and waits for the food. “Do you have many problems with power shortages?” He asks the woman casually.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Sure, go ahead' she says. 'As for power shortages, this is the first complete power cut I've seen but in the last year I've been on Titan there have been outages and tremors the whole time. They were really bad a few months ago but they had got better recently, until today anyway. It's all something to do with the ice volcanoes causing quakes they say. Usually the emergency generator kicks in pretty quickly, I don't know what happened today but I don't like it.'
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“Yes, could be the ice volcanoes.” Virgil says blandly as he finishes his last mouthful. “Thank you for the food, Madam.” He turns to leave and go into Jack’s Play. He’s rather thoughtful.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

As with the others the doorman scans Virgil's ID badge and gives him a cursory pat down and surface scan. He waves Virgil through with a big smile, 'Enjoy!'
OOC,Moving here: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=472&t=7309&p=245206#p245206[/url]

Return to “The Titan Incident”