IC - 6 - Back to Engineering - Sam

By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: IC - 6 - Back to Engineering - Sam

Post by Mephistophilis »

'I dunno much about religion, never really seen the point, but some guys seem to take to it after being out here for long enough, a few of them meet in the interfaith...' Before White can finish there is a cry from the far side of the room where steam is gushing from an open panel, 'Oh shit!'

-----

In less than a second the weak illumination from the green emergency lights blinks out.

The room is pitch black and completely silent for a few seconds before voices start shouting out in panic.

-----

After about ten seconds floor level LED lights come on, bright pinpricks of intense white light that flash progressively indicating the direction to follow for evacuation towards an assembly point. After another minute there are red flashing beacons spaced widely along the walls and a whining siren starts.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Is there anything we can do about that steam leak?" asks Sam, raising her voice to be heard above the siren. "Or do we need to evacuate?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Sam hears Moses from the other side of the Engineering Facility, 'This is more than just a steam leak, the backup fission generator is down, it's going to require some serious work.'

Nearby, Chief White says 'The turbines should be back online soon. But we need to have power in the meantime.'

'What about the old methane compression generators that came down with the initial colony construction module?' asks Mike.

White grunts, 'Good idea, each of the pumping stations has their own compression generator too, but we need to send people down into the sublevels to restart them. No one's been down there in years.'

Sam notices the temperature seems to have dropped, it is difficult to be sure in the limited illumination but she thinks she can see her breath condensing into misty water droplets.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

Skidding to a halt behind Li and Isabella, Kiara takes in the situation.

“Anything we can do to help? Oh, and don’t rely on CENTRAL; it’s gone into shutdown.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hey, good to see you," says Sam. "The power's down, and we need to get a methane compression generator from the sublevels. They're older tech, but they're reliable. It's not like we're going to run out of fuel. I'm willing to go, but I could use some company. What happened with Montrose?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Last I saw they were still trying to get his door open and ply him with whiskey,” admits Kiara with a shrug. “I went to the corporate suite to run some tests using CENTRAL when everything went haywire.”

She nods to Isabella and Li. “We were heading to the AI core when the alarm went off.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We're going to have to get the power back up before we can deal with the computer," says Sam.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"You're right. I'll help you, if you like," Kiara volunteers.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Chief White grunts, 'Okay, sounds like we've got a crew - I trust you have the mechanical know how to restart the generator?' In the weak LED and flashing red illumination they can see him looking sceptically at Kiara.

'I can join you' says Moses, I know my way round a hydraulic wrench. Isabella and Li look at each other and speak in unison, 'I'll come too.'

'Fine, that's enough, you'll get to the sublevels from the Admin block, there's an access shaft from the transport hub. It might be partially flooded, no one's been down for months, even years. You'll need some light, I've got some headtorches, there's a couple of portable toolkits you can take with you. Do you need anything else?'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I brought my own tools," says Sam, "but thank you. I'm sure the others will find the toolkits useful. Headtorches will help a lot too. If there's flooding, maybe an inflatable dinghy would be useful, if you have something like that. Rope or cord might be useful too."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Kiara bristles at the look White gives her.

“I’ll take a toolkit and a head-torch; datapad to equipment-port interface cables too if you have them, so we can directly access any control sub-systems, valve actuators and limit switches.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'A dinghy? This is Titan, not Earth, we're not into watersports' scoffs White. He raises his voice to be heard over the sirens 'But I can get you some rope'. He turns to Kiara and gives her a quizzical look, 'And there's plenty of patch cables lying about'.

Moses hefts a toolkit and he mounts a headtorch along with Li and Isabella, 'Anything hurt us down there?' snaps Li, 'Got weapons?' White looks uncomfortable, 'There shouldn't be anything too terrifying down there, maybe a few rats, only weapons I know of are with security.' He scratches his head, 'I suppose an incinerator would scare off most things.' White points to an incinerator unit and Li picks it up and tucks it under her arm. Isabella looks at her, eyes wide, 'Expecting trouble?'

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If you think we need weapons, we can stop by security," says Sam. "I'm trained with pistols, though not as well as Marshal Favre."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Don’t rely on me if there’s a fight,” Kiara warns. “Let’s get this over and done with, yeah?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Look, look, I don't anticipate any trouble, rats at most' says White. 'Up to you if you want to go to security for weapons but I don't know whether they'd let you have anything and I expect they only have non-lethal weapons for riot control.' He pauses for a moment, 'And you might struggle navigating your way there in the dark.' He looks around, 'We might have another incinerator unit, or maybe you could take a cutting torch.'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thanks, I'll take the other incinerator," says Sam, putting on a headtorch and slinging the rope over her shoulders.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Guess that leaves me with the cutting torch,” says Kiara nervously.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kiara takes a cutting torch and Sam the remaining incinerator.

OOC,If you need to use them the incinerator has a 10yd range - skill Flamethrower with base 20% - increase to 30% if you have a Firearms skill above 50%, one shot per round with two reloads (i.e. 3 total) - and the cutting torch is touch range, skill Fighting (Brawl)
At an impatient look from Chief White, Kiara, Sam, Moses, Li, and Isabella start heading off to the Administration Building looking for the access shaft to the sublevels. Fortunately the LED floorlights indicate the way.
OOC,We're moving here: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=472&t=7279#p244170[/url]

Return to “The Titan Incident”