IC - 6 - Kingsley's Office - Virgil

By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.

Moderator: Mephistophilis

aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: IC - 6 - Kingsley's Office - Virgil

Post by aine »

“Good, good. You’ve got it well in hand. We can work it onto the shuttle somehow and, as you say, time is of the essence.” Virgil stands there, looking at the alien and then looks at Kingsley.
“Have you thought about a private buyer for the body? And then how are claims staked here outside of the colony boundaries? Once word gets out, as it will, the owners of the land where it was found stand to profit. Unless the whole damn moon is property of Richter Dynamics.”
Appraise,50 [dice]0[/dice]
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Virgil can see the momentous scientific implications of the discovery. This could open up vast scientific frontiers and prove to be more lucrative than Waystation a hundred times over.

'As to ownership, that's a little...complicated. Richter Dynamics has the rights to all resources extracted from Titan. While this isn't exactly pumping methane the Xenoform was found during the course of corporate activities, over at the Waystation facility in fact. Illegal corporate activities.'

Kingsley gives a little smile, 'But while we decide on the whys and wherefores of ownership I thought it would be prudent to have a trusted third party look after this valuable resource for us, and do a little exploration into how it can be best exploited. Personally I am wondering about whether it would be worth more separated into smaller, more manageable parts.'

He stares at Virgil intently. 'Now you can share in the ample profits of this enterprise, you will be spectacularly rewarded when the time comes. But I do need you to sign a few things, commit to a contract, you understand.'
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“A contract for an illegal enterprise is unlikely to hold up in a court of law.” Says Virgil smiling slightly. “However, I’ll look over it and sign if I’m happy with the details.
I don’t know about cutting the creature up; it would lose a lot of value and you’d be left with just DNA analysis to prove it’s an alien. Whereas lying there in all it’s majesty- well it is truly spectacular.
You say you found it at Waystation; has it got anything to do with the problems you’ve been having there? Was it unearthed in one of these seismic disturbances?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Good good' smiles Kingsley. 'As I said, it really doesn't matter where we found this particular opportunity.'
OOC,Roll hard Psychology
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil frowns, there was something not right here.
Psychology,65[dice]0[/dice]
But it doesnt seem like Kingsley is going to be forthcoming. Certainly Virgil will have to watch his step.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Virgil can't tell whether Kingsley is being deliberately evasive about where he found the Xenoform, but he does seem to be avoiding talking about Waystation.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“I’m going to have to go out to Waystation you know.” Virgil watches Kingsley. “I need to see what the problem is out there. Hopefully I can misdirect Marshal Favre and the rest of the team so they don’t realise the full situation out there. Do I have your agreement over this? Once they’ve made their report we can be away back to Ganymede. Hopefully with the ‘opportunity’.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kingsley visibly squirms at the suggestion Virgil visits Waystation. 'Really, there is no reason to go out to Waystation, we had a few difficulties but it is all back under control.'

His face hardens, 'I must warn you, this arrangement is contingent on you not interfering with operations at Waystation, and bringing the Xenoform to Ganymede of course.'

Virgil is not sure but Kingsley's attention seems to have been attracted by something for a second before he focuses on Virgil again.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil decides to drop it; the man seems not quite himself and there was no point in antagonising him.
“How about a drink as a token celebration; have you any whiskey, or bourbon at a pinch?” Virgil looks closely at Kingsley’s face to see if the blankness happens again or if it was something in the room that diverted him.
Spot hidden,50 [dice]0[/dice]
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kingsley beams, 'That sounds like we have a deal Mr Steinmann.' He walks over to a walnut drinks cabinet and takes out a bottle. 'Bourbon indeed Mr Steinmann, this is 112 year old Yamasaki single malt.' He pours out two generous glasses and hands one to Virgil. 'To success.'

Several times while he is talking Kingsley seems to glance at something behind Virgil.
OOC,Roll Listen
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil takes the glass. “Salut!” And drinks, savouring the ancient Japanese malt. “This was one of their finest.” He says appreciatively. He wanders about the room looking at the art but also trying to see what might be taking Kingsley’s attention at the back of the room.
Listen,50 [dice]0[/dice]
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kingsley swirls his glass and toasts, 'Cheers,' he looks rather pleased with himself.

-----

Virgil sips from the whiskey, savouring the berry notes mellowed with oak and vanilla. As he looks around the office he doesn't see anything obviously out of the ordinary but Kingsley continues to glance out the windows at the rear of his office. Virgil turns to see what Kingsley is looking at and thinks he glimpses a figure through the window into the foyer just before the green emergency lights blink out leaving everything in complete darkness.

'Shit, what was that? exclaims Kingsley.

-----

After about ten seconds floor level LED lights come on, bright pinpricks of intense white light that flash progressively indicating the direction to follow for evacuation towards an assembly point. After another minute there are red flashing beacons spaced widely along the walls and a whining siren starts.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Virgil looks back at Kingsley,
“A power cut? Does this happen often?” He swallows his drink and puts the glass down. He looks back at the window now that the room is dark it might be easier to see outside.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Whoever was at the window has gone. Kingsley sounds a little panicked, 'We've had a few interruptions to the wind turbine feed but the emergency power has never gone before. CENTRAL, CENTRAL, what's going on?'

There is no reply from the computer. Kingsley heads back behind his desk to check on the freezer, 'Power's gone, this isn't good, I don't know how long it will last.'

Virgil can feel the temperature has dropped and while it is hard to be certain he thinks he can see his breath condensing into misty water droplets in the weak LED lighting.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“The xenoform will be okay, it’s us who I’m worried about; the temperature’s plummeting. What’s your emergency procedure? I hope it doesn’t rely on CENTRAL, that AI’s strangely reticent all of a sudden.”
He points to the lights in the floor. “Come on, man, we’ve got to get moving!”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kingsley is flustered, 'There's a backup fission generator, that's what kicks in when the green emergency lights come on.' He starts pacing back and forth across the room, looking into cupboards, 'The backup power must have failed, it's never done that before. CENTRAL, CENTRAL, contact Chief White' he shouts over the loud whine of the sirens.

There is still no reply from CENTRAL. Kingsley starts to look more panicky, he goes up to the office window, Officer Tyson, what's going on?' he shouts. There is no reply and Virgil cannot see anyone outside.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“I think he was there a minute ago but he’s probably following protocol and evacuating.” Virgil says drily. “What are you looking for- can I help?” He winces as a cupboard door slams, neatly topping a sculpture.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kingsley pulls on a jacket and stuffs something into his pocket. 'Okay let's go, follow the LED lights.'
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil waits and then follows Kingsley out of the office. “No need to turn off the lights.” He thinks to himself.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Virgil and Kingsley follow the LED lighting on the floor down the stairwells to the ground floor. Sirens continue to blare and red beacons bathe their surroundings in a shifting bloody glow.
OOC,Moving here: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=472&t=7279#p244170[/url]

Return to “The Titan Incident”