IC - 6 - Kingsley's Office - Virgil

By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

IC - 6 - Kingsley's Office - Virgil

Post by Mephistophilis »

Day 1
11th March 2189
18:30 Earth Central European Time
Barnard's Rest Colony, Titan

Virgil hurries over to the top floor of the administrative complex. The foyer outside Kingsley's office is not locked but the lights are dimmed and there is no sign of his secretary Stacy.

From behind the door leading to Kingsley's office Virgil can see some light. Otherwise the room remains the same as the last time he was here, a large waiting area with chairs and a side table. Stacy's desk with a free standing computer terminal and the intercom to Kingsley's office. And the ever present red fish-eye lens and wall intercom for CENTRAL.
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: IC - 6 - Kingsley's Office - Virgil

Post by aine »

Virgil waits for a moment to see if there’s any movement within and then he’ll open the door quietly and step into the foyer.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The foyer is dark and silent. Virgil can see something periodically blocking the light from Kingsley's office, suggesting there's someone inside.
OOC,Roll Listen
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil sees the shape of something or someone outlined. He listens hard,
Listen,50[dice]0[/dice]
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Virgil,This is what Virgil hears unless he spends some luck to make a hard success or pushes it
Virgil can hear a voice, or voices. He can't make out who it is but it seems to be a man, or men, arguing.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

While he strains to hear the conversation in Kingsley's office he also hears something behind him, it seems to be coming from the corridor outside the foyer, a woman's voice, “Officer Tyson?”
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil slips quietly into the foyer hoping to avoid Tyson. (Although he is keen to speak to Kingsley. He thinks he can guess what the argument might be about; Virgil is feeling pretty angry it too.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,The female voice is coming from outside the foyer, in the corridor. The foyer is in darkness and leads only to Kingsley's office. In his office the lights are on and there is at least one figure and at least one male voice. Where does Virgil go?
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil moves forward and opens the door to Kingsley’s office. If one of the figures is Kingsley, he speaks quietly,
“Kingsley, we need to talk. About Waystation.”
If not, he waits to see who the figures are.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

As Virgil opens the door to Kingsley's office light spills out into the foyer. Standing near to the door is Officer Tyson, holding a bottle of whiskey, in the centre of the room is Kingsley, he seems to be pacing. Hearing what Virgil has to say he frowns and gestures to Tyson to leave, shutting the door behind him
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil waits until the door is closed and then walks over to Kingsley.
“Okay, Kingsley, what’s the deal with Waystation? Production’s down, you’ve got problems out there with the convicts? And now there’s this damn marshal sniffing about which spells trouble.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

James Kingsley is still dressed in his ridiculous outfit of baseball cap, Hawaiian shirt, and khaki trousers. He looks utterly unfazed by Virgil's questions, as if he knows something Virgil doesn't.

'Ah, Mr Steinmann, I've been meaning to talk with you alone. I had thought to leave it until our meeting tomorrow morning but I suppose now will do' he says.

'The fracking facility at Waystation is your baby isn't it? Like I said to your companions, we've had a few temporary setbacks but production will be back on line soon. And as far as I'm aware there's nothing untoward about the doctor's death that should keep the marshal much longer.'

-----

Virgil feels the ground shifting under his feet. This is accompanied by a high pitched whine as if metal bulkheads are twisting or shifting.

'This is what I'm talking about. Chief White says it turns out high pressure cyclohexane fracking has certain unforseen consequences when there's a subsurface ocean.'

After twenty seconds the lights flicker then go out. Everything is in darkness for what seems like an eternity, but is probably only a few seconds.

Kingsley sighs, 'I'm told the tremors disrupt the power supply from the wind turbines in the upper atmosphere. But it shouldn't last too long.'

The dull green emergency lighting comes on bathing Kingsley in a sinister glow.

'There's something I've been meaning to discuss with you, as a good company man.'
OOC,Roll Credit Rating with a bonus 1d10
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil looks around quickly as the tremors occur and hopes he hid his momentary alarm.
“I’ve got a lot of money and time invested in the project, yes. I’m sure we can all benefit from its ongoing success.” Virgil replies. But he is interested in what else Kingsley wants to say, “Go ahead, I’m listening.”
Credit rating,20[dice]0[/dice][dice]1[/dice]
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kingsley continues, 'I have uncovered an...opportunity that I think could be mutually beneficial. Something that dwarfs even the lucrative rewards of cyclohexane.'

Kingsley looks very pleased with himself and has an almost manic glint in his eyes.

'Rather than tell you about it I think it would be most persuasive to show you. If you will accompany me to my old office I have something there that I think will interest you greatly.'
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil nods. “Lead on.”

He knows the present setup to mine cyclohexane can’t last forever; if Kingsley has found something else then it will be worth initiating the project as soon as possible. Especially as Virgil is on site to oversee it right now. It’s difficult to find an excuse to visit far flung colonies in his business.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kingsley leads Virgil out of the office and down the hall. At the far end of the corridor is a large door that seems to be made of wood, something almost unheard of this far out in the solar system.

He unlocks the door and invites Virgil into the room. It is a comfortable looking reception area. There is a desk, still displaying the nameplate 'Stacy Hennecker', which is otherwise clear except for an intercom. There are several soft seats upholstered in some kind of faux black leather, and a few low tables covered with expensive coffee cups, high end document readers, and plates of mouldy looking pastries.

Through another wooden door is a plush office which is dominated by a large, possibly antique, wooden desk. Beside it is a large black leather chair. The room is decorated rather ostentatiously with various rare items such as old oil paintings and displays of late twentieth century Pokémon cards.

'I can't tell you how much it pains me to have to vacate my office', says Kingsley. 'But when I show you what is in here I think you will understand.'
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“I like your style, Kingsley, quite a collection.” Virgil stands in front of a painting, contemplating it for a brief moment. He raises an eyebrow at the Pokemon cards, “Originals? It must have been some effort to bring all this all the way out here. Well, show me what’s made you give up it all up.” He gestures around the room.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kingsley leads Virgil behind the desk where a large metal container is concealed. It is around three metres long and seems to be plugged into the power supply as there are large cables running to the wall.

'I needed somewhere to keep it frozen, it seems to be decomposing quite rapidly.'

There is a small box mounted on the front of the container and Kingsley flips it open to reveal a keypad and a small visual display. He types something and the display flashes green. He then pulls on the lid to the container, 'Give me a hand with this'.

The cover pivots and a mist of water vapour begins to form in the air. The container appears to be some kind of large chest freezer. Through the haze Virgil can make out what looks to be some kind of body. It is not human.

Virgil struggles to process what he is seeing. The body is large, two, two and a half metres even, in overall form it reminds Virgil of a giant frog or a squid, grey-green in colour. It is nothing terrestrial.

It has a smooth, bony cranium with articulated cephalopod eyes and a sharp, beak-like mouth fringed with fronds. He estimates six long tentacle-like limbs, the upper ones near the head are broad like a mantis with serrated claws, the smaller pairs lower down the body are tipped in pointed hardened cones. The creature's torso is segmented and chitinous and contrasts with the head and limbs which look shrivelled, mummified even. On what Virgil thinks of as the chest, between the two upper limbs, the exoskeleton is fragmented with a ragged depression at the centre. Around this the thick shell is discoloured with a lattice web of red lines running through coarse patches of ridged and thickened iridescent tissue.

Virgil feels an involuntary cry come from his throat. The sight is compelling, fascinating, but utterly alien and vaguely grotesque.
OOC,Roll Sanity 0/1d6
'We call it the Xenoform' says Kingsley.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

sanity,50 [dice]0[/dice]
Virgil leans closer, peering into the freezer.

“It’s incredible, superb!” He breathes, “My god, Kingsley, where did you find it? Was it already dead? I take it it is dead. Just look at the size of it; and that head! My god, it’s gruesome.” He looks at Kingsley,
“Who else knows about this?”
Ooc,Have other aliens been seen in this life or is this the first one ever as far as Virgil knows?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kingsley chuckles, 'Don't worry, it is quite dead, probably has been for thousands of years if what I'm told is accurate. Unfortunately it seems to be decomposing rapidly in the atmosphere of the colony, you can see the discoloration around the chest, that's why I had it brought here and stowed in the freezer.'

He looks Virgil in the eyes, 'As to where we found it, ultimately does it really matter? The possibilities it represents are infinite...'

He starts pacing, 'Only a few people know about this and they are quite loyal, I control this colony. But as I'm sure you appreciate, this discovery needs to be handled with a degree of tact and consideration. How it is revealed, the pace, the manner, it all needs a lot of thought. I'm not sure that would be best achieved by just publicly announcing the find. No, no, I think this is something that needs a little more preparation. And you're just the man to assist me with that. I have some...associates back on Ganymede who could take custody of our specimen while we prepare the groundwork for discussions with Richter Dynamics about how I...we...will be compensated for our endeavours. I need your assistance, in particular, with shipping this back to Ganymede discretely on your shuttle.'
OOC,This would be the first confirmed alien life of any kind (including microbiological) ever found. It is big. Roll Appraise to figure out how big from a financial perspective. It goes without saying that it would be highly illegal not to report this find to the authorities, but given his work on Waystation I doubt Virgil is too bothered by that

Return to “The Titan Incident”