IC - 5 - Finding Montrose - All except Jojo

By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: IC - 5 - Finding Montrose - All except Jojo

Post by Mephistophilis »

Montrose says nothing for several minutes, then they hear the locking mechanism disengage. As the door slowly starts to open a musty smell wafts from the narrow opening. It is unpleasant and almost faeculent...

-----

Everyone suddenly feels the ground shifting under their feet. This is accompanied by a high pitched whine as if metal bulkheads are twisting or shifting.

Montrose slams the door shut. 'Don't try and fuck with me' he shouts out.

After twenty seconds the lights flicker then go out. Everything is in darkness for what seems like an eternity, but is probably only a few seconds. The dull green emergency lighting comes on.
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

"David wait! We are not messing with you," shocked Nicole asks, "CENTRAL what the fuck just happened?"
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Unexpected tectonic activity has disrupted energy supplies from generator pylons in the upper atmosphere Marshal Favre. We are currently running on emergency power' responds CENTRAL.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

“What the-!?” exclaims Kiara, putting a hand out to steady herself.

Regardless of what CENTRAL tells Nicole, the scientist isn’t sure she can trust the computer.

“I need to look at the latest readings. I’ll try to connect my datapad to the sensors wirelessly.” she declares, retreating to a quiet corner.
Computer use 65,[dice]0[/dice]
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kiara,The sensors from the colony and pumping stations confirm seismic activity similar to that previously recorded. The epicentre is the same as the previous quakes, the far side of Ligeia Mare
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Maybe I should get to Engineering and see if I can help," says Sam.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Sam,If Sam wants to go back to engineering just let me know
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"CENTRAL, what are the co-ordinates of former pumping station six?" asks Kiara, comparing the answer with to that of the epicentre.

"I think they dug something up during this Project Waystation. These tremors are a part of it," she tells the others. "and it's having an effect on people here; driving them crazy."
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

"Okay, I'll take my gun back then," says Nicole, "does the intercom still work?

She tries anyway, "David, the whiskey has got here finally. Let me in."
ooc,[ooc]I don't think Montrose took the pills when he opened the door?[/ooc]
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kiara receives no response from CENTRAL.

-----

Nicole presses the intercom outside Montrose's quarters and it still seems to be working. After a few seconds Montrose's gravelly voice comes through, 'All of you, get away from the door. Nicole, tell me when they're all clear.'
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

"That definitely should not be happening. How am I expected to provide medical care in these circumstances?" Jojo mutters to himself.

"Can anyone stop that?" He says louder to the others around.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

If Nicole still wishes to have the gun back now that Montrose is going to let her in, Sam will return it to her. Then she will stand well back from the door. "Once I'm no longer needed here, I'll head up to Engineering and see what I can do," she says.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Feeling somewhat invisible, Kiara mutters something about returning to her room to run some modelling on her data pad using the sensor data, in order to work out the cause of the tremors.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,I will assume Sam is heading to engineering and Kiara to the corporate suite unless you say otherwise
Once the doorway is clear and Nicole lets him know, Montrose again starts to slowly open the door. The smell returns, stronger. It is musty, mouldy even, with hints of faeces and now, clearer than before, an odour of putrescence, like something is rotting.

Montrose's face appears in the darkness of the doorway, bathed in the green glow of the emergency lighting. He looks desperate, his eyes are sunken and bloodshot. His face is pallid and mottled with patches of erythema. He reaches out and takes the pills, the hand emerging from his grubby uniform appears withered.

He croaks, 'Now give me the whiskey.'
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC,Yep.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kiara,You're moving here: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=472&t=7257[/url]
As Sam heads off to engineering Moses mumbles something about wanting to check on things and follows her out.
Sam,You're heading here: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=472&t=7258[/url]
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Nicole holsters the gun when Sam hands it back.

She steps warily towards the door, whiskey in hand, but well out of Montrose's reach for now. She makes sure this time that her hand is nowhere near the gun, to avoid Montrose getting spooked again. Nicole tries to remember whether she's smelt anything so bad before that wasn't a murder scene, nothing comes to mind.

Gesturing to the bottle, she says, "Got any glasses David? Let me sit down with you for a minute, then I can get the hell off this rock."
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Montrose's eyes rove about restlessly until he meets Nicole's gaze. He looks directly at her holstered sidearm for a second and then back at her face.

He rolls a shot glass across the floor to Nicole. Emptying out the tablets from the cup he throws that to her as well, 'Hit me.'

Sitting half in the shadows of the doorway it is noticeable that he is only using his right arm, the left hidden in darkness.
OOC,I don't think anyone added any pills to the whiskey. If you want to have done so roll Luck. Roll Medicine to get a sense of Montrose's health now you can see him
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,No, we didn't put the pills in the whiskey. When he emptied the pills out of the cup, did he take the pills as in ingest them? Medicine 80 [dice]0[/dice] Hard success.
Jojo will try to get a view of Sergeant Montrose to see what is happening to him. The smell alone tells him something is seriously wrong.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,Montrose didn't take the pills, he just emptied them on the floor
Anyone passing Medicine,Montrose does not look well. He has pallid, mottled skin, sunken eyes, and a haunted haggard face. The veins in his face and arms seem distended yet the flesh is shrivelled, there are patches of erythema and a strange powdery rash. Together with the smell of decomposition it is clear that Montrose is gravely ill, probably close to death. At a guess end stage cancer comes to mind.

Return to “The Titan Incident”