IC - 3 - Medical Clinic - Nicole, Jojo, and Virgil

By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: IC - 3 - Medical Clinic - Nicole, Jojo, and Virgil

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,Ooh, smart thinking, roll Luck
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Luck - Fail,Luck(40%) [dice]0[/dice]
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Marshal Favre. I have observed Dr Holzer enter his password on several occasions. In line with privacy protocols this information is not recorded.'
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

"Do you intend to continue working in the clinic?" Jojo says to Nurse Richards. "You seem uncomfortable around me. I apologize if I intimidate you. It is not my intent to do so. One must be reliant upon facts and logic and not emotions or conjecture when dealing with medicine and I require a certain dedication to that principal. If you adhere to that, you'll do fine. If you do not..." Jojo looks coldly at Nurse Richards. "...well then, perhaps medicine is not for you."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Richards stares long and hard at Jojo.
Jojo,Roll Intimidate with a bonus die (an extra 1d10 to replace the tens if lower)
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

“It was worth a try, Marshall. We”ll have to get it hacked instead.” Says Virgil. He looks at his watch.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,Virgil and Nicole have a good hour before Jojo is finished
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

"We should give Isabella a call," says Nicole, "I'd prefer one of our team to do any hacking, and the other technical team members will be a while."

She takes her data pad and requests a video connection to Isabella.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil nods,
“Good idea. But keep it general whilst on the video link; I’m not too trusting of the security here. We can be more specific once she gets here.”
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

OOC,Intimidate 15 [dice]0[/dice] Bonus Die [dice]1[/dice] 30 doesn't do it. Maybe I should have taken intimidate instead of Fast Talk. :)
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Richards looks hard at Jojo, 'Dr Johnson, I am not interested in medicine, I am a nurse and my vocation is nursing. I am sure you are a competent doctor and I fully respect your approach to your own field of expertise. But I see it as my duty to remain in Barnard's Rest to provide the necessary human counterpoint to your rather cold bedside manner '

He turns and walks out of the clinic.

-----

Isabella's face appears on the datapad. She looks preoccupied. 'What is it? There's something funny going on here, I'm in the middle of something, can it wait?'
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

After Nurse Richards leaves, Jojo nods and offers a slight smile at his words. Places like this need men like him.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil looks over Nicole’s shoulder so he can see Isabella on the datapad,
“Why, what’s happened? Where are you?” He asks her.
Ooc,Is the computer portable? Could we take it with us - for safekeeping?
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

"We do have something that we could use your help for, but nothing too urgent" says Nicole.

"Do you need help?"
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Isabella sounds exasperated, 'Look, no, it's fine, I'm in the corporate suite, I'm just having trouble accessing some parts of the system, like I'm being locked out. It's weird, I'm trying to check whether there's extra security but I can't seem to get into CENTRAL's core routines. Okay, what's your problem, I could do with a break anyway.'
OOC,The computer is comprised of a freestanding unit like a flat screen monitor - but it is pretty big and likely to be unwieldy, there's also a smaller keyboard. Usually the computer is inside the monitor as most people use them as touch screen displays, the doctor obviously liked to type things, which is unusual in this day and age
Jojo,While the others haven't yet caught up with you time wise if there's anything you'd like to look at in the clinic you could have been doing that while running the toxicology
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Once alone, Jojo begins a detailed inventory of the clinic starting with the controlled substances. He will match everything to the system records and note any discrepancies. Then he will check everything that Dr. Holzer has officially recorded over the past month to see if there is any change in operating procedure or note taking that he can discern.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“I’d like to get this wrapped up as soon as possible- and before anyone decides it’s a good idea to wipe the Doctor’s computer of evidence.” Virgil says to Nicole. “Especially as this may be one of the few computers not accessible by CENTRAL.”

“Isobella, we have an offline conundrum we’d like your help with, in Doctor Holzer’s apartment. CENTRAL can direct you. Then We’ll see what we can do to bypass those security blocks for you; the Marshal and I have top clearance. In theory.” He adds dryly.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Jojo looks through Holzer's records. Apart from the discrepancy around the opioids there is nothing that leaps out at him as out of order. However, one aspect of the records is slightly odd. Holzer has been taking medication and equipment out of the clinic and treating miners on-site at the pumping stations for some really quite significant injuries such as comminuted long bone fractures.

As Jojo is finishing up there is a commotion at the door of the Medical Centre.
Jojo,You're moving here: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=472&t=7200[/url]
-----

After a few minutes Isabella arrives at Doctor Holzer's apartment.
Raiko
Admin
Admin

Post by Raiko »

Nicole nods in agreement with Virgil, "Agreed, I just needed to check that Isabella's situation wasn't an emergency.

"You should know; the Security Chief - David Montrose - he was one of my instructors when I joined the Marshals. It was my plan to pay him a visit as soon as the autopsy is complete. To find out how the hell he let things get like this."

She gestures back towards the medical centre itself. Then shaking her head Nicole adds, "It is not what I would expect of him."

When Isabella arrives, Nicole indicates the terminal.

"Can you get us in?"
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Can I get you in?' Isabella laughs. She takes out a small dongle from her pocket and attaches it to a port on the computer. 'CENTRAL, interface with peripheral sigma-nine, access the login security interface strip the abstraction layer, execute key quantum decryption algorithm blackbox-theta.'
OOC,Isabella Computer Use 70%,[dice]0[/dice]
A red LED light blinks twice on the grey plastic dongle. 'Et voila!' says Isabella as the computer display shows the desktop.

Return to “The Titan Incident”