IC - 3 - Medical Clinic - Nicole, Jojo, and Virgil

By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.

Moderator: Mephistophilis

aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Re: IC - 3 - Medical Clinic - Nicole, Jojo, and Virgil

Post by aine »

Virgil raises his eyebrows, “Good work!” He murmurs and then he nods to Nicole, “See what you can find.”
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

"Okay, let's see what we can find," Nicole accesses the computer to see what she can find.
ooc,Sorry, I didn't mean to hold up play. I'm not sure what to look for specifically, so I guess Nicole is initially just looking what is available, and going first for anything that's obviously a journal or files on a suspicious topic.
While she's looking she asks Isabella, "Will our access be able help you with your own problems accessing CENTRAL?

"How unusual is that situation? I assume you weren't expecting to be locked out?"
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Isabella looks troubled. 'It's complicated, I had a nosey through the colony systems and there was nothing that jumped out at me. But there were a couple of things I couldn't access. Usually I can just override CENTRAL's blocks directly with my corporate security clearance but that didn't work. So I tried to take a look at CENTRAL's core systems. All CENTRAL artificial intelligences have a core AI that is like a quasi-organic brain, it is non-linear and non-deterministic so it needs a kernel to interface with the peripheral systems through a number of modules that have protocols and subroutines to set parameters on the AI. Now usually these core modules are the same, the same on Ganymede as on Mars, but I can't access them here, I'm locked out and I don't know why. I doubt your clearance is any better than mine, I helped write most of the code for these kernels, I know them better than anyone.'

-----

Nicole sits down at the computer. Once inside, Holzer's financial records and other documents are easily accessible. One document entitled 'Absolution' stands out as unusual; the last saved revision was the day of his death. In it, Holzer lays out the existence of a secondary site on Titan, in addition to the five pumping stations, he says it is worked entirely by convict laborers, using high-risk illegal extraction techniques and he has been compelled to treat men injured at this second site; when he tried to report this illegal operation, he was blocked by Montrose, the head of security, and Kingsley, the administrator. Later entries get very strange, reporting hearing voices and recurring nightmares that kept him from sleeping, and how he begins to use opiods to quiet them as best he can. It remains unclear if his overdose was accidental or an act of suicide.
Absolution,See here for an extract: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=472&t=7217&p=241564#p241564[/url]
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Re: Handouts

Post by aine »

“It’s grim reading. But it does clear up the mystery. It look like the Doctor got space-rot. Obviously couldn’t take the pressure. It explains the drugs in his body when he died as it looks like he overdosed by mistake. And it explains the inventories not adding up either.”
Virgil rubs the back of his neck.
“Well done. Now let’s hope the engineers have solved the production mystery and we can all go home.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kiara, Sam, and Moses swipe into Holzer's apartment and find Isabella, Virgil, and Nicole going through the doctor's computer.

'Dr Johnson threw us out' says Moses, 'he's treating Chief Engineer White.'

'We're trawling Dr Holzer's files, take a look at this, seems he went doolally' says Isabella, showing them the document marked 'Absolution'.
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

“I think we’ve found all we are going to here. Did you find anything interesting?” Virgil asks the engineers quickly.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We found Chief Engineer White out near the pumping station with a helmet breach," says Sam, "I sealed the breach and brought him to the clinic. Jojo's looking after him. I think he'll live. Luckily we got there quick enough. There were also tracks heading away from his location, and the computer was oddly reticent about answering questions related to them. I think that qualifies as interesting." She reads the document, furrowing her eyebrows. "Did Holzer die of a fentanyl overdose? What did the autopsy report say? Could be a case of space madness, it happens all too often. Once on Mars a guy tried to walk out an airlock without a spacesuit. The computer safety protocols wouldn't let him, of course."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by jp1885 »

After confirming Sam’s story, Kiara reads the Absolution document. She sighs, deciding whether or not to reveal what she knows. Eventually she comes to a decision.

“Funny Montrose’s name should come up. We saw reports of a damaged ‘copter that had been piloted by him.”

“The secondary site with the convicts and illegal stuff? Could be pumping station six: you take the maglev to the surface rovers. I saw it signposted at the maglev hub. This ‘beauty that burrows’... could be madness... but I did hear someone talking about excavations...”

She smiles shyly and shrugs.

“Hey, I am one of the Khans, as much as I hate to admit it.”
aine
Disciple
Disciple

Post by aine »

Virgil has been reading the Absolution document again over Kiara’s shoulder. He breaks off,
“Bloody typical!” He mutters, looking thunderous and then he pulls himself together. “You’d, er, have thought life was hard enough out here without damn cults springing up. Look, I’ll have a word with Administrator Kingsley to find out what his take is on all this. And that security officer.”
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

"Yes, it is time I spoke with David Montrose. That's two suspicious incidents on his watch now

"What is the story with the crashed 'copter?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We weren't given any details," says Sam, "We'll need to ask Sergeant Montrose. CENTRAL, where is Sergeant Montrose?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Hello Engineer Golightly.' The low, synthetic sound of CENTRAL echoes around the room. 'Sergeant Montrose is in his quarters.'
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

“Hey CENTRAL, do you detect life-signs in Montrose’s quarters?” Kiara asks, just in case.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Scanning for life signs...scanning...inconsistent readings...rebooting sensor array...inconsistent readings...sensor array malfunction. I am unable to confirm life signs in Sergeant Montrose's quarters Science Officer Khan.'
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

"Um, perhaps we'd better get going," Kiara says to the others; a note of panic rising in her voice.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yeah," says Sam, already hurrying to Montrose's quarters.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,You don't actually know where his quarters are yet
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"CENTRAL, how do we get to Sergeant Montrose's quarters from here?" asks Sam.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

CENTRAL announces 'Sergeant Montrose's quarters are in the security complex which is in the west of the main colony building.' This is actually not too far from the Medical Centre.
OOC,Everyone going to see Montrose?
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

OOC,Kiara will go.

Return to “The Titan Incident”