IC - 2 Landing - Everyone

By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.

Moderator: Mephistophilis

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: IC - 2 Landing - Everyone

Post by jp1885 »

During the journey from the bus, through the tunnel and into the living quarters, Kiara looks around with great interest, her scientific curiosity piqued by the obvious size and efficiency of the operation.
Spot hidden 37% fail,[dice]0[/dice]
However, she sees nothing out of the ordinary.

"Nice to see the generators kicking in so quickly; how frequent are the eruptions?" she asks as they trundle along.

When they arrive at the living quarters, she peers into the comms lense, giving it a tap.

"How do you know when this is on? I don't like the idea of being watched while I'm dressing."
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Tyson looks a bit nervous when asked about the cryovolcanic eruptions and the aftershocks, 'Oh, not very often'.

Isabella laughs at Kiara's squeamishness around the CENTRAL computer. 'Every room and corridor in the colony will have these cameras, and other sensors, CENTRAL uses them to monitor the base, not you. It has protocols that prevent anyone else gaining access to the feeds, don't worry'. She chuckles to herself and addresses the red lens, 'Hello CENTRAL, how are you today?'

A disembodied voice emanates from somewhere in the room, it is difficult to localise, 'Hello Systems Engineer Garcia, welcome to Barnard's Rest. I am operating at one hundred percent efficiency, thank you for asking.' The voice is female, low and smooth, but with clear computer modulation and devoid of any emotion.

'It's hard not to address the lens when you're talking to CENTRAL' she says. 'We call the lenses the 'eyes' - but the microphones are probably elsewhere in the room. CENTRAL computers are designed not to seem human. After the disaster with synthetics it was decided not to have the new CENTRAL intelligences get anywhere near the uncanny valley. The designers thought that would stop people worrying they had secret agendas. You're better off thinking of it like a very efficient machine, it's clever, but it doesn't have any real personality of its own.'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That's good to know," says Sam. "Synths have always creeped me out."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

Nicole sits quietly on bus, watching through the window in order to get her bearings. You always need to remember the way back out - just in case.

The tremor is disturbing, but she's heard of cryovulcanism before and Tyson didn't seem too worried - not until Kiara's question anyway.

Travelling light herself, with just a small holdall and the helmet for her suit, she, she offers to help Kiara with her bulky luggage when they arrive at the living quarters. "Want a hand?"
jp1885 wrote:When they arrive at the living quarters, she peers into the comms lense, giving it a tap.

"How do you know when this is on? I don't like the idea of being watched while I'm dressing."
Nicole looks at the CENTRAL lens with suspicion. Yes, definitely Creepy
Knowledge 75% - Pass(Just),[dice]0[/dice]
Psychology 60% - Hard Pass,How worried is Tyson about the cryovulcanism? [dice]1[/dice]
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Smiling somewhat shyly, Kiara gratefully accepts the Marshall's aid.

She too notices Tyson's nervousness and resolves to ask CENTRAL about this phenomenon later.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Raiko,It is a bit strange, Tyson definitely seems nervous about talking about the cryovulcanism but also doesn't seem to be deliberately lying either. Almost like it is the topic itself that worries him rather than talking about it. Maybe he just doesn't like the thought of cryovolcanoes
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Jojo nods curtly to Tyson and turns to enter his room before stopping.
"Are the meals served at a certain time?" He says as he opens up the alarm function on his datapad.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Tyson looks a bit disconcerted by Jojo's question, 'Um, I'm not sure, I think you can get meals in the refectory or one of the restaurants on the base. Just show your pass card.'
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Virgil makes a mental note to look up cryovolcanism later but he frowns as he hears the nervousness in Tyson’s voice. “Is like a meeting to get up to date with thhear tremors; they went mentioned on the colony’s last report.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Uh, you'd have to discuss that with Administrator Kingsley' says Tyson to Virgil.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Were the miners able to determine anything about the issues with the pumps?" asks Sam.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'I don't really know anything about the pumps' says Tyson. 'Security is my thing.'
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Tyson says 'If there's nothing else I'll leave you. When you want to arrange a meeting with Administrator Kingsley just use CENTRAL to call his secretary. Mr Kingsley is keen to meet with you before you start your enquiries.'
OOC,Unless you guys want to ask Tyson anything else you can settle in to your quarters, have a nap, get something to eat, go exploring, arrange to see Kingsley etc
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,I'm ready to meet with [b]Kingsley[/b] if everyone else is. I think we should all go together when we do.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Raiko
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Raiko »

ooc,Agreed I'm ready to go and meet Kingsley to find out what's been going on.
jp1885
Keeper
Keeper

Post by jp1885 »

Once alone, Kiara unpacks her stuff, stowing her equipment carefully.

“Hey CENTRAL,” she says conversationally, “when did you pick up the last cryovolcanic tremor?”
OOC,Happy to meet the boss.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

CENTRAL's calm feminine voice floats around the room 'Hello Science Officer Khan, welcome to Barnard's Rest. The last significant episode of seismic activity in the region of Barnard's Rest occured on the 11th March at 11.40am. I have insufficient information to determine whether this was cryovolcanic in origin.'
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 8 months

Post by aine »

Virgil stifles his disapproval at addressing a machine,
“Central, arrange a meeting with Administrator Kingsley within the hour.” He unpacks and sits on the floor to meditate.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Hello Executive Officer Steinmann, welcome to Barnard's Rest. I have confirmed a meeting with Administrator Kingsley in his office on the 11th March at 12.15pm.'
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

Jojo unpacks his duffel and sits on the edge of his bunk. He's not really tired and doesn't feel like taking a nap.

"Central. Please notify me when a meeting is scheduled with Administrator Kingsley by any of the other passengers."
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game

Return to “The Titan Incident”