Page 1 of 1

OOC Discussion

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
I will have character creation rules in the next few days, then we can start.

Re: OOC Discussion

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:49 pm
by Mephistophilis
Character creation thread is up.

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:27 am
by Mephistophilis
Jp1885 is joining us as the fourth player.

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:32 am
by Mephistophilis
Raiko will be our fifth and last player.

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:47 am
by Mephistophilis
Might be worth mentioning before we start. This is a published one-shot, not a fully developed setting, I've made a few adjustments but not spent hours developing it. The original scenario has some violations of the laws of physics and chemistry that I've tried to correct but it is inevitable in a scenario like this we'll make errors with the science. We'll just roll with it.

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:00 pm
by Raiko
Mephistophilis wrote:Raiko will be our fifth and last player.
I'm really looking forward to it.
Mephistophilis wrote:Might be worth mentioning before we start. This is a published one-shot, not a fully developed setting, I've made a few adjustments but not spent hours developing it. The original scenario has some violations of the laws of physics and chemistry that I've tried to correct but it is inevitable in a scenario like this we'll make errors with the science. We'll just roll with it.
I'm sure you can just just put any violations of physics down to non-euclidean warping of space time.

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:28 am
by Mephistophilis
How is it going for you all? I'm keen for constructive criticism. I'm veering slightly from the scenario as written so there's scope to adjust the pace or the direction if people want.

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:03 am
by Starspawn338
Everything seems to be going very smoothly. I'd say you are doing a great job following through with all the questions and keeping the game moving.

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:02 am
by Raiko
I'm enjoying it. It's very creepy, and I'm expecting us all to die horribly on Titan.
And it's also moving at a nice pace.

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:01 am
by Mr. Handy
I also like the game and the pace.

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:52 am
by jp1885
I concur - all good and the pace is fine.

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:27 pm
by Raiko
I've been busier than expected this weekend, so haven't been able to post.
I'll catch up in all games and, post wherever needed this evening. :)

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:49 pm
by Raiko
Sorry, I've been offline for a day or two after hurting my back.

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:55 pm
by Mephistophilis
No worries.

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:55 pm
by Mephistophilis
I'm working all weekend so might be slow to post - big COVID outbreak to deal with - things seem to have slowed down a bit in the threads the last few days which I'm attributing to the US election - just be aware I might take a while to move things on.

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:14 pm
by Mephistophilis
Splitting the party four ways! I'll try and get some stuff up this evening but just be aware it'll probably take me a bit longer to manage four different threads.

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:31 pm
by jp1885
Happy to keep posting in an existing thread if it helps.

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:32 pm
by Mephistophilis
Nah, fosters more paranoia if everyone splits up. Particularly if I kill one of you.

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:38 pm
by jp1885
That’s good to know?!

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:45 pm
by Starspawn338
Wait, characters can die in CoC?

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
There's still time, don't you worry.

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:30 pm
by Raiko
I'm posting this same message in every game that I'm involved with:

Sorry for being AWOL so much, most of November and this last week in particular have been very busy for me at work (even though I'm mostly working from home at the moment). I kept up with at least reading every game until this last week, where I've barely been able to log in.
I have read up-to-date in every game last now, and I'll post in every game over the weekend.
I think I should have a quieter time during the rest of December, so hopefully this will be my last apology for a while. :roll:

Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:08 pm
by Mephistophilis
Hi all, just taking the opportunity for some feedback. How's the game going for people? I know Raiko has had some difficulties posting recently. I think we're more than halfway through. Any changes people would like to see? It's a published scenario but I've made some adjustments and I'm happy to make more if you'd like things to go in a particular direction. Everyone's split up at the moment but it looks like they might get back together in the near future.

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:43 pm
by jp1885
I think it’s going well. Lots of mystery and unanswered questions (with a sinister undercurrent). Things have slowed down somewhat, but that’s to be expected when the party is split. I’m enjoying it a lot :)

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:31 pm
by aine
I’m enjoying it too; for unmentionable reasons.;) Half way through? I guess it’s all downhill from here then :twisted:

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:42 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'm also enjoying it, and I had no idea that we'd gotten that far, as we've found out very little. Hopefully this guy will fill us in on what we need to know.

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:26 pm
by Raiko
I'm really enjoying it, I'm so sorry that I've been a rubbish player.

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:50 pm
by Mephistophilis
Well what a poor excuse for a bunch of scientists you all are!

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:57 pm
by jp1885
Hey, we’ve all had a very tiring day... :D

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy
Dammit, Meph, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! ;)

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:41 am
by Starspawn338
I feel bad because it's my specialty but what can you do when the die roller says no. :cry:

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:17 pm
by Mephistophilis
Just to say I'm on-call all weekend so may not be able to respond to posts for a few days.
Keeper rolls,Advantage for fume hood Sam and Kiara 0 1

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:48 pm
by Mephistophilis
Sorry all, very busy with work, should get more posts up by the weekend.

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:10 pm
by aine
No problem. Keep us all on tenterhooks. ;))

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:32 am
by Mephistophilis
Sorry everyone. Things still manic at work. Will get responses up in the next few days.

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:23 pm
by Mephistophilis
Super busy until after the weekend - posting with be infrequent at best.

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:07 pm
by aine
I’m off cycle touring in darkest Wales until Friday so may be intermittent on posting due to lack of reception or battery.

Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:16 pm
by Mephistophilis
No problem. Enjoy.

Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:37 pm
by Mephistophilis
As an FYI I'm going to be away for next week and then the week after. So I'll be posting less frequently.

Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:30 am
by jp1885
Just a quick heads-up guys: I’ll be on holiday for a week on Friday, so I might not be posting much.

Posted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:59 pm
by aine
Re The poor guy in the columnar tank.
The morale of the story: never split up to search for hostile entities (like they always do in movies).

Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:00 am
by Starspawn338
I was almost in his position!

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:42 pm
by Mephistophilis
Rbrandolph1 will be joining us as the pilot Ling Li.

Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:39 pm
by Mr. Handy
Welcome, Rbrandolph1!

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:31 am
by Starspawn338
We may need to get away and nuke it from space!

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:24 pm
by aine
Welcome, Rbrandolph1. Good timing: I think the proverbial is about to happen and we’ll need all the help we can get.

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:12 pm
by jp1885
Welcome! You’ve joined us at an, um, interesting time.

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:44 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yes, I think we're going to need a good pilot sometime soon.

Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:16 pm
by Mephistophilis
Not heard any more from Rbrandolph1.

Posted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:30 pm
by Mephistophilis
Sorry guys, being a bit slow, snowed under with work and away the end of this week. Hopefully return to a bit more regular posting next week or so.

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:25 am
by Mephistophilis
Sorry, working/on-call this holiday weekend but off next week so hope to catch up then.

Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:39 pm
by Mephistophilis
Hi all, things kicking off at work (and at home unfortunately) with, I dunno, the fourth wave of COVID now. Will endeavour to post but could well be delayed.

Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:15 am
by jp1885
Take your time mate and stay safe!

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:34 pm
by Mephistophilis
Unholyroller1 should be joining us as Moses Goodkind.

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:03 pm
by jp1885
Welcome!

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy
Welcome!

Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:43 pm
by Starspawn338
Aye, welcome to the far reaches of the solar system.

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:40 pm
by aine
Hello, Unholyrider1. I hope you are good at driving moon vehicles; we’ve already nearly crashed once. :)

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:12 am
by Starspawn338
So making your POW save is good, right?

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:33 am
by Mephistophilis
Maybe.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:01 am
by Mephistophilis
I'm travelling tomorrow and will be a bit hit and miss over Christmas so I'll be even slower than usual. Hope to get back to a decent post rate in the new year.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:15 pm
by jp1885
Hi folks,

I’m pretty much on radio silence now until after Christmas.

Thanks Mephistophilis for continuing to run ‘Titan’; I’m having a great time, even if I’m not sure how Kiara has managed to stay alive!

Best wishes to you all for the festive season!

JP

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:27 pm
by aine
I’m really enjoying this game too and am looking forward to continuing.
Merry Christmas, everyone.

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
Sorry all, bit tied up with real life. Will try and get posting again as soon as I can.

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:08 pm
by aine
No problem. We’ll see what the rover has in the way of tea and biscuits.

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:53 pm
by Starspawn338
Beginning tomorrow, I will be out of town at a wedding and will not have the ability to post until Sunday.

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:21 pm
by Mephistophilis
It has literally only just reached my attention that I am referring to the colony on Titan as Barnard's Rest and Benedict's Rest interchangeably. I don't know where 'Barnard's Rest' came from, it is called Benedict's Rest in the scenario, and on the map. I was not trying to test you!

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:18 pm
by aine
Ah, so it wasn’t the aliens trying to superimpose an alternate reality on to us then? ;)

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:20 pm
by Mephistophilis
When I realised I did toy with the idea.

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:01 pm
by jp1885
Hi folks,
Alas I’ve reached a point where I can no longer devote the time and mental energy these excellent PbP games deserve, so I’m pulling out.

Thanks very much for the thrills and spills you’ve given me over the last few years (and apologies for cross-posting the same message over the forum!)

I may lurk on and off to see how my fellow investigators are faring, but for now, keep rolling well and hold on to your sanity!

Cheers,
JP

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:34 pm
by Mephistophilis
Sorry to see you go jp1885. Would you mind if I offered Kiara up for someone else to take over?

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:28 pm
by jp1885
Please, by all means go ahead :)

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:55 pm
by aine
We’ll miss you, JP. Good luck and may the dice treat you well.

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:01 am
by Starspawn338
Good luck and safe travels. It's been a pleasure!

Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
Sorry, something's come up IRL and I've been very distracted. Hoping to get responses for my games by the weekend.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:58 pm
by aine
No rush; we’ve got plenty of air. :)

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:00 am
by Starspawn338
It's fine. Some weeks are really rushed like that and I don't mind the ebb and flow of life.

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy
I understand. I'm busy too.

Posted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:53 pm
by Mephistophilis
Sorry, I know I'm being crap at keeping up with the posting but the personal and professional spheres are crazy busy at the moment. Hope to get things back to being a bit more regular as soon as I can.

Posted: Sat May 21, 2022 5:53 pm
by aine
No problem, we can anticipate the coming doom with relish. And extra pickle.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:40 pm
by Mephistophilis
I'll be away from the 29th July for 2wks so I'll be posting sporadically if at all.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
Jesus. Looking back at old threads we started this game 2yrs ago and it was only meant to be a one shot. Some learning there for me in terms of moving the action along and pacing. Hope people are enjoying it. We really are nearing the end I think...

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:35 pm
by aine
Oh yes, a lot of fun. Feels like it’s going to get messy soon...

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:34 pm
by Mr. Handy
Yes, I'm enjoying it a lot too! I think we're getting close to the endgame.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:12 pm
by Starspawn338
It's all good and I'm still having fun. Sorry I've been really busy and on vacation and have only been able to check the boards a couple times a week.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:26 pm
by Mephistophilis
No problem - been away myself for 2wks and going again next week. The summer is not good for posting reliability. But great in other ways obviously.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:42 pm
by Mephistophilis
Dealing with the inevitable aftermath of being away - twice as much work to do. But hopefully will get back up to posting soon.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:26 pm
by Mephistophilis
aine wrote: Btw, superb techy jargon by the keeper there.
I just hope no one who knows what those words mean is reading it!

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:53 pm
by aine
Well you fooled me!

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:09 am
by Starspawn338
I'm constantly impressed by the amount of information you are sharing!

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:35 am
by Mephistophilis
Sorry, have work stuff on (and a gig tomorrow - going to see The Cure), but will try and post again as soon as a can in the next few days.

Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:54 pm
by Mr. Handy
I'm watching the 1985 movie Creature, and I can see some of the inspirations for this scenario. The movie is set on Titan, and it features rival megacorporations, one of which is Richter Dynamics.

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:24 pm
by Mephistophilis
Oh cool. I hadn't known that (it isn't referenced in the scenario). And I see it is in the public domain. Must watch it.

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:48 pm
by Mephistophilis
Just watched Creature. Some dues to Alien and The Thing there! I was amused that much of what makes it similar to this scenario is the bits I've stolen from Alien rather than what was in the original scenario as written.

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:36 pm
by aine
Anyone else having deja-vu?

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:44 pm
by Mr. Handy
No, but I've got the strangest feeling that I've had it before.

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:43 pm
by Mephistophilis
Thanks for playing everyone! What's that, nearly two and a half years? Wow. I learned a lot and I hope it was fun for you. I tried to end it at a suitable point.

I'd be keen on any constructive feedback on the game, my GM style etc.

Cheers all.

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy
You're welcome, and thank you for running it. That was great! It started on August 31, 2020, so it's been almost exactly two years and seven months.

What did we miss? Specifically, what was underneath Waystation, and what happened to Kiara?

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:06 am
by Starspawn338
It was a blast. I thought you wrote the scenes in a way that I could easily imagine what we were doing... and what was being done to us. I enjoyed playing the android and hope it didn't throw anyone off the way I roleplayed his programming. I was left with a sense of dread, not fully knowing what we had uncovered or what it was going to do now that it was out. But that's the story sometimes. Huzzah!

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:02 am
by Mephistophilis
You did pretty well to be honest, you figured out about Waystation, you got off Titan. I thought I was going to blow you out of the sky but some good rolls and judicious expenditure of luck avoided that. Poor Virgil did die in a most unpleasant manner and Jojo came close.
Spoiler:
The game was loosely based on the scenario The Titan Incident but with the big bad at the centre being 'Space Glaaki' so people infected were essentially Servants of Glaaki' and then turned into Xenoforms (Aliens from Alien). Under Titan is a crashed ship where the aliens there were taken over by Xenoforms. If you'd gone deeper there would have been more dead marines, infected humans, Xenoforms, more warnings from the dead aliens about what they were carrying, and eventually some sort of portal thing (think 2001 or Event Horizon) which leads to somewhere else ?in the universe. It opens into hard space where you'd have found the floating freeze dried husks of people and maybe other creatures, and space Glaaki itself, a crystalline nightmare. Then you'd have maybe escaped, maybe died floating in space, maybe got infected. As for Keira, I didn't really finalise what happened to her. In reality she was an agent for Walker-Hynix but was waiting for you guys. When her character was abandoned I doubled down a bit on the traitor aspect, had her kill Li, and head back inside the crashed alien spaceship for 'something.' She did actually successfully get alien samples to bring back!

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:42 pm
by jp1885
When I re-joined the forum, I didn’t re-join this game as I thought it didn’t have long to run (so there wouldn’t be much point in giving the GM extra admin). How wrong I was!

I enjoyed playing and later lurking - thanks for running such a fun game.

Playing Kiara was interesting. I’m glad no-one suspected her as a traitor until the end!

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:00 pm
by Mephistophilis
Yeah, the secret agendas for Kiara and Jojo were played well. I don't remember whether Virgil had an agenda but he certainly got neck deep in things pretty quickly.

Clearly pacing is something I need to work on though.

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:43 am
by Mr. Handy
Sam was exactly as described on the tin: a competent engineer who did her job well. Of course, she wasn't one of the pregens, so she didn't have built-in secrets. We did make good choices and have some lucky rolls (helped by spending Luck effectively) that enabled us to get off Titan in one piece.

If you want to read a science fiction adventure with pregens with secret agendas, feel free to check out The Ninth Planet, the second adventure in my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign. Not all of the secrets came out during the course of play, but there was a lot of paranoia as part of the scenario design, and it really hampered the investigators.

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:46 pm
by Mephistophilis
Yeah, Sam definitely avoided some bad stuff happening to them. I'd also forgotten how much they all learned about the biology of the alien parasite. I've just remembered that Virgil knew all about Waystation, so he got inducted into the secrets of the Xenoforms early on by Kingsley (again, some good rolling saved him being erased from the equation). They planned to bring one back to Richter Dynamics hidden in the shuttle. Unfortunately that knowledge didn't help him when he met one face to face.

I must confess I was slightly looking forward to you all trying to fight the aliens with riot rounds and stun batons. It would have been funny.

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:35 pm
by Mr. Handy
We had enough sense not to even try that. Like I said, if a squad of Colonial Marines couldn't deal with it, what chance did we have? Best to nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:53 pm
by aine
Sorry, late for the party - was away camping in the Lakes. This adventure was a storm; thanks so much for running it.
I felt the characters were fully fleshed and I enjoyed the secrets: I based Virgil on Ash from Alien, a typical corporate out for filling his own pockets. He held his own against the alien for a while… but probably best for the team that he died.
Anyway, it felt like we were in a movie; good plot! :)