Page 1 of 1

IC - 3 - Medical Clinic - Nicole, Jojo, and Virgil

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:16 pm
by Mephistophilis
Day 1
11th March 2189
12:45 Earth Central European Time
Barnard's Rest Colony, Titan

After dropping Isabella off at the apartments, Tyson proceeds on to the medical clinic where they are greeted by Nurse Steve Richards. He is a fresh faced man in his early twenties, dressed in green medical scrubs. He seems relieved to see them as Tyson announces them as 'Dr Johnson, Marshal Favre, and Executive Officer Steinmann' before he drives off.

The medical center is a relatively small, cramped area, befitting its penal origins. Unlike the metal bulkheads of the rest of the colony, the medical bay is covered in off-white plastic fixtures and fittings, presumably someone thought it looked more clinical.

There is a single examination room, a computerised office, a refrigerated supply closet, a small surgical suite and a recovery room with five beds separated by paper curtains. There is also a cold storage 'morgue' connected to the surgical suite. Adjacent to the medical center is the doctor’s apartment. Richards tells you that his accommodation is with the administrative staff. Overall, the medical center is prepared to handle most common injuries one would encounter in a prison or industrial environment, but not much more.

'I'm glad you're here Dr Johnson, I've not been too comfortable being responsible for the whole colony's health by myself.'

Re: IC - 3 - Medical Clinic - Nicole, Jojo, and Virgil

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:30 am
by Starspawn338

Upon arrival, Jojo makes a cursory inspection of the clinic before turing to Nurse Richards.
'I'm glad you're here Dr Johnson, I've not been too comfortable being responsible for the whole colony's health by myself.'
Jojo nods.

"I'm sure you weren't, although I'm sure my talents will be wasted on runny noses and broken bones." He continues, "It is my understanding that you found Dr. Holzer. Please describe what you found, omit no details as they may be relevant." He holds up his hand. "And don't bother telling me it's all in the report because it's never all in the report. Reports are tedious and people only end up putting in the facts they consider to be relevant when in fact everything is relevant."

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:23 am
by Raiko

This should be interesting.

Nicole wanders casually around the medical bay while observing how Nurse Richards responds.
OOC,Might as well roll for psychology. Psychology(60%): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:03 pm
by Mephistophilis
Richards looks increasingly nervous at Dr Johnson's brusque manner. 'I didn't find him, I mean, like I said in my report, uh, um, I mean when he wouldn't answer his door I contacted Sergeant Montrose, he let us in to Dr Holzer's quarters. We found him in bed. He'd been dead for a while.'
Nicole,Richards seems quite scared of Dr Johnson. As far as you can tell he is telling things as he recalls them but seems to be holding something back

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:17 pm
by Raiko

Ambling across to Nurse Richards, Nicole give her friendliest smile.
Charm - Extreme Success,Charm(60%) [dice]0[/dice]
"It's okay Steve, we're all on the same side...

"But, you look as though there's something that is bothering you about this. Maybe something that's not in the report?"

She gestures to her companions and smiles again, "We're here to help."

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:03 am
by Mephistophilis
Richards is clearly uncomfortable but Nicole's easy charm relaxes him somewhat. 'Me and Montrose took a look at the body but it's not what either of us usually do, I take care of the living, not the dead. We didn't find anything suspicious. Maybe Dr Johnson could conduct an autopsy, Holzer's body is still in the morgue until the shuttle returns to Ganymede.'

His face becomes more serious, 'Okay, so what's not in the report, well, the last few weeks before he died, he was different, more distant, he looked drained, like he wasn't sleeping, maybe something was on his mind. I wondered whether he was dipping into the abusable medications, the narcotics.'

He seems to relax, 'That's it, that's all I know.'
Jojo,Knowing Henry Holzer it comes as a real surprise to you to hear talk of him abusing medication, he was always very clean living and did not even drink alcohol the last you saw him

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:25 am
by aine
Vigil just nods at Nurse Richards and gives him a small smile of encouragement.

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:03 am
by Starspawn338
"I see." Jojo replies, his visage still stern. "Did you check to see if any of the narcotics were missing to substantiate your theory?"

Turning to the others, he continues, "It appears an autopsy is in order."

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:44 am
by Raiko

"That would certainly help to clarify things," Nicole nods to Jojo, then looks back to Nurse Richards.

"Thank you Steve. Can you remember, approximately, how many weeks ago since you first noticed the difference in Doctor Holzer's behaviour?"

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:13 pm
by aine
Virgil looks a little uncomfortable with the mention of an autopsy.
"I'll just look over the report now if I may, Nurse Richards."

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:08 am
by Mephistophilis
Again, flustered by Jojo's icy manner, Richards says 'As far as I can see the narcotics are all accounted for but what do I know? This is a mining colony, we see a lot of injuries. Look, I'm only qualified two years, I didn't sign up for this shit.

'He died about a week ago. The two weeks before that I really noticed a difference but, well, maybe in retrospect it was going on for a month or more.'

Richards hands them a datapad with his report on it, in addition to what he has already told them it has the post-mortem examination conducted by Richards and Montrose:

"Surface examination
OOC,Richards, Spot Hidden, 40% [dice]0[/dice]
Unremarkable

Internal examination
  • Radiology
    OOC,Richards Medicine 30% [dice]1[/dice]
    Pulmonary fluid evident on MR imaging

Macroscopic pathology: Not performed
    Histopathology: Not performed
Biochemistry and toxicology screen
OOC,Richards combined Computer Use 40% and Medicine roll [dice]2[/dice]
Unremarkable except for presence of fentanyl on toxicology screen"

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:02 pm
by aine
“But how did he actually die?” Virgil looks at the datapad confused.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:12 pm
by Mephistophilis
Richards looks exasperated, 'Well that's for Dr Johnson to determine.'
Jojo,You know these results are consistent with an opiate overdose, whether deliberate or accidental, with the fluid in the lungs secondary to respiratory failure. There are other explanations possible including drowning. However, you are really shocked at the idea that Holzer would have abused opiates, perhaps he had an injury and needed them as painkillers. It is likely (but not necessary if you don't want) that a doctor would want to conduct the autopsy themself, both because they don't trust a second year nurse to be able to do it to their standards and because he didn't attempt to examine the internal organs. Fentanyl is a potent synthetic opioid.

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:34 pm
by Starspawn338
Jojo studies the report before turning to Virgil.

"This report indicates that the Doctor likely died of fentanyl poisoning but as I suspected, there are a lot of details which are not present in the report. We are going to need to retrieve the Doctor's corpse for a proper autopsy." He pauses for a second before continuing. "I knew Doctor Holzer personally and for him to die of an overdose of narcotics is very suspicious. I did not know the Doctor to use any drugs unless it were medically necessary."

Turning to Nurse Richards, he nods curtly. "Thank you for your assistance. Do you know if the Doctor suffered any injuries after being posted here and can you tell me what protocols are in place regarding the control and dispensation of narcotics on the base? I'm curious if the Doctor would have to conceal his personal usage of narcotics from anyone in the base or just in ordering from corporate."

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:50 pm
by Mephistophilis
Richards brings up the pharmacy inventory on the datapad.
OOC,Roll Accounting or Medicine to assess the records
'I'm not aware of Dr Holzer suffering any injuries although he might not have shared his medical problems with me. We have the usual protocols for narcotics, usually it would require both Dr Holzer and myself to dispense them and we keep a record of what comes in, what goes out, and what is wasted. There is a specific controlled drugs cupboard that only he and I had access to.'
Jojo,Holzer's body is in the attached morgue cold storage as Richards told you earlier. It'll take about 3hrs to perform a post-mortem, Richards can assist you and he can roll Medicine to reduce the time it takes since he is familiar with the body, you'll need a successful Medicine roll yourself to get full details from the examination. You can also put Holzer's body back through the MR scanner (Medicine roll again) and re-run the toxicology (no roll needed as your medicine is so high - takes 30mins)

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:14 am
by Raiko

Nicole glances at the data, but assumes that Virgil or Jojo will probably make more sense of it.
Accounting,Accounting(05% lol): [dice]0[/dice]
"Could you show us the controlled drugs cupboard Steve? And..."

She indicates Jojo, "As Doctor Johnson considers it unlikely that Doctor Holzer was taking narcotics, have you noticed similar any changes in behaviour in any other staff over the last few weeks?"

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:31 am
by Starspawn338
Jojo takes the pharmacy datapad and pulls up the records.
OOC,Medicine 80 [dice]0[/dice] That's an extreme success!
After reviewing the data, he turns to Nurse Richards.

"Please bring Doctor Holzer's body in here. We are going to do a full autopsy."

Looking to Nicole and Virgil, he continues, "I should have the complete results in 4 hours.:

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:39 pm
by Mephistophilis
Richards shows Nicole the controlled drugs cupboard. It is an unremarkable metal cupboard mounted on the wall with a physical key hole. He unlocks it and inside can be seen stacks of medication boxes and a separate refrigerated section. There is a physical ledger for recording what has been used and Richards explains that is uploaded to the computer every evening.
Jojo,Dr Johnson can easily see the records have been doctored; a significant quantity of fentanyl is missing and its absence covered up in the inventory records.
Richards looks uncomfortable being questioned about the behaviour of other staff and he looks repeatedly at Dr Johnson before saying 'I can't tell you about anyone else's mental health history, that would be confidential.'

Richards goes to the morgue and returns wheeling a body inside a body bag, clipped to it is an ID badge that reads 'Dr Henry Holzer'. Richards gets changed into a splashproof oversuit and asks 'Will anyone else be observing?'
OOC,What will the others do while the autopsy takes place? Observe, search more in the clinic or doctor's apartment, or go somewhere else?

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:22 pm
by aine
Virgil finishes looking at the datapad,
Accounting,55 [dice]0[/dice]
I, er, I’m happy to leave it in your capable hands; you can fill me in later. Nurse Richards, could you direct me to the doctor’s apartment? I’d like to continue the investigation there.
He pulls out his own datapad and writes:
Note nurse did not confirm no strange behaviour which suggests other colonists are affected.

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:33 pm
by Mephistophilis
Virgil,Looking through the electronic records and comparing them to the paper ledger it looks to Virgil like a significant quantity of fentanyl is missing and its absence covered up in the inventory records.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:58 pm
by Starspawn338

Jojo puts on his splash proof protective attire and moves Dr. Holzer's body to the examining table. He will wait for a moment for anyone who wants to leave to exit the room before he begins the autopsy.
OOC,Medicine 80 for the examination [dice]0[/dice] Medicine 80 to put body through the MR scanner [dice]1[/dice] Rerun Toxicology screens

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:15 am
by Raiko

"Four hours? Okay I will leave you to attend to your work Doctor, I will return later."

Nicole turns to Virgil, "I will join you investigating Dr. Holzer's apartment."

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:34 am
by aine
“Yes, we’ll come back later.” He says as he makes a quick exit with Nicole.

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:46 pm
by Mephistophilis
Virgil and Nicole use their ID passes to gain access to Holzer's apartment. In many ways it is very similar to the corporate suite where they are staying. There is a bedroom, dining area, kitchen, living space, and bathroom. A small office is attached to the living area and contains a free standing offline computer. The decor in the apartment is the same standard light gray plastic and dark grey cotton as the rest of the colony.

-----

Nurse Richards and Dr Johnson start the autopsy. Richards uncovers the body and Jojo starts an external examination.
OOC,Richards Medicine 30% [dice]0[/dice]
Jojo notices that Holzer's skin has a bluish tinge, especially in the extremities, and his pupils are tightly constricted. He can find no evidence of any injuries but in the bend of Holzer's left elbow there is a mark that could be from an intravenous injection, the lack of healing suggests it was sustained shortly before death.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:45 am
by Starspawn338
"Well that's consistent with a narcotics overdose, but it doesn't look like long term use." Jojo mutters to himself as he continues with the autopsy.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:38 am
by Mephistophilis
Jojo continues with the post-mortem. He runs the body through the MR scanner which does not show any injuries but confirms the lungs are full of fluid, this is probably less informative at this stage as the body has started to decompose.

Opening up Holzer's chest finds nothing grossly abnormal. Dr Johnson removes the lungs which are heavy with fluid. He takes some slices which he examines microscopically. There is the characteristic foamy oedema of narcotic overdose (or drowning). There is no damage to the airways or larynx that might suggest trauma or strangulation but again, the foamy fluid consistent with what has been found in the lungs. Jojo doubts this level of oedema would be found from drowning unless it was salt water, fairly unlikely on Titan.
Jojo,Roll Sanity for me, while a doctor wouldn't normally test Sanity for a PM this is someone you were close to.
Re-running the toxicology confirms high concentrations of fentanyl in his system. Overall the evidence suggests Holzer died from narcotic induced respiratory failure. Whether deliberate or accidental is not clear.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:35 pm
by Raiko
The office area looks like a good place to start, so Nicole wanders to it across Holzer's living area to see if anything interesting is lying around. She tests any drawers to see if they are locked.

She is respectful and doesn't damage to mess up anything at the moment, assuming that she'll gain access to everything eventually. She switches on the computer display, but doesn't expect to be able to access anything without Virgil's assistance.
Spot Hidden - Fail,Spot hidden roll, in case there's anything that's not in plain sight. Spot hidden(60%): [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:01 pm
by Starspawn338
OOC,Sanity 75 [dice]0[/dice]
Jojo pauses a moment before continuing with the internal examination. This was a man he knew well and it was hard to be as clinically detached as he normally would be but he also knew that Dr. Holzer had died under suspicious circumstances and he owed it to him to get to the bottom of it.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:27 pm
by Mephistophilis
Dr Holzer's apartment is remarkably spartan and Nicole can't see anything out of the ordinary.

The computer screen blinks on and requests a password.

-----

Despite the unnerving experience of cutting open somebody he knew well in life, Dr Johnson's training and professional detachment mean he is unfazed.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:42 pm
by aine
Virgil looks around the apartment to see if Holzer had been expecting to return. He looks around for personal effects; as a standard issue apartment there was unlikely to be any ‘hidey holes”; but maybe there was a safe.
spot hidden,50 ,[dice]0[/dice]
When he hears Nicole mention a password he says,

“I don’t know what it could be. This computer is now the property of Richter Holdings so we could possibly get someone to hack it, especially as it is evidence for a possibly unlawful death.
You know, I think Nurse Roberts is hiding something; there were a lot of drugs missing from the manifest and someone has fiddled the accounts as the paper doesn’t match up with the online account. Also, did you notice that Roberts didn’t deny that other colonists were behaving strangely.”

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:16 pm
by Mephistophilis
Holzer has left clothes and personal effects around the apartment. But there's not as much as you might expect, no photographs, little sentimentality. However it certainly doesn't look like he had made preparations to leave or anything like that.
Jojo,If asked you will know that Holzer always lived something of an ascetic lifestyle

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:36 pm
by Raiko
Nicole nods, "Yes, I did; and it is too much of a coincidence that Dr. Holzer's unusual behaviour begin exactly when the production problems occurred.

"He may have doctored the records to hide an addiction, but if that were all that has happened, then why would Kingsley be so evasive. A suicide or accidental overdose of the doctor is sad yes, embarrassing perhaps, but not a reason to hide details from me."

Smiling at Virgil she says, "If no one was hiding the details here, then I would be on the next shuttle back to Ganymede, case closed, but it looks like you will be stuck with me for a while longer."

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:14 pm
by aine
Virgil looks at Nicole, “If you can help discover the reason for the drop in production then that’s fine by me. The doctor’s death is an unfortunate but acceptable loss; the company factors such occurrences into its accounts.

It may be necessary to visit the outlying bases to check nothing else has happened elsewhere. In which case the more man power the better.” He says matter-of-factly.

“Perhaps one of our engineers will be able to bypass the password.”

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:33 am
by Starspawn338
After completing the post mortem, Jojo will sew the Doctor back up and clean up the work area and then himself.

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:06 pm
by Mephistophilis
Virgil and Nicole,If you want some ideas of how to access the computer try an Idea roll - the greater the success, or the more successes, the more ideas
Jojo,We'll have to wait a little bit for the other two to catch up time wise, feel free to roleplay with [b]Richards[/b] if you'd like

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:31 pm
by Raiko
Idea - Critical Success!,Idea(65%): [dice]0[/dice] :o I'll probably wish I saved that roll for later!

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:42 pm
by Mephistophilis
Nicole,Good roll. So, Nicole is used to this kind of thing. If the computer is connected to the colony network, which you would expect it to be, then CENTRAL should be able to access it with your level of security, or probably with Virgil's or even Jojo's as he's the new doctor. If it isn't networked, which would be unusual but not impossible as it is a freestanding unit rather than a terminal (basically looks like a flat screen computer monitor with a keyboard), then maybe someone could hack it directly, perhaps Isabella, or someone who knew Dr Holzer might be able to guess his password, perhaps Jojo or Richards?

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:34 pm
by Raiko
"Yes perhaps Isabella? We may as well try the simple solution first, in case it is networked."

Nicole speaks to the ever watchful machine, "CENTRAL can you unlock Doctor Holzer's computer for myself and Executive Officer Steinmann?"
OOC,Sorry to be slow posting - it's not been a good day today! Should be back at full speed by the end of the week. :)

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:40 pm
by Mephistophilis
The synthetic disembodied voice of CENTRAL echoes around the apartment 'Hello Marshal Favre. I am unable to access the computer in the doctor's apartment as it is offline.'
OOC,No worries

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:53 pm
by Raiko
"Oh well," Nicole sighs, "Okay CENTRAL never mind. Have you ever observed Dr. Holzer entering his password?"

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:15 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC,Ooh, smart thinking, roll Luck

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:31 am
by Raiko
Luck - Fail,Luck(40%) [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:46 am
by Mephistophilis
'Marshal Favre. I have observed Dr Holzer enter his password on several occasions. In line with privacy protocols this information is not recorded.'

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:34 am
by Starspawn338
"Do you intend to continue working in the clinic?" Jojo says to Nurse Richards. "You seem uncomfortable around me. I apologize if I intimidate you. It is not my intent to do so. One must be reliant upon facts and logic and not emotions or conjecture when dealing with medicine and I require a certain dedication to that principal. If you adhere to that, you'll do fine. If you do not..." Jojo looks coldly at Nurse Richards. "...well then, perhaps medicine is not for you."

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:32 pm
by Mephistophilis
Richards stares long and hard at Jojo.
Jojo,Roll Intimidate with a bonus die (an extra 1d10 to replace the tens if lower)

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:53 pm
by aine
“It was worth a try, Marshall. We”ll have to get it hacked instead.” Says Virgil. He looks at his watch.

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:12 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC,Virgil and Nicole have a good hour before Jojo is finished

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:18 pm
by Raiko
"We should give Isabella a call," says Nicole, "I'd prefer one of our team to do any hacking, and the other technical team members will be a while."

She takes her data pad and requests a video connection to Isabella.

Posted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:27 pm
by aine
Virgil nods,
“Good idea. But keep it general whilst on the video link; I’m not too trusting of the security here. We can be more specific once she gets here.”

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:12 am
by Starspawn338
OOC,Intimidate 15 [dice]0[/dice] Bonus Die [dice]1[/dice] 30 doesn't do it. Maybe I should have taken intimidate instead of Fast Talk. :)

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:47 pm
by Mephistophilis
Richards looks hard at Jojo, 'Dr Johnson, I am not interested in medicine, I am a nurse and my vocation is nursing. I am sure you are a competent doctor and I fully respect your approach to your own field of expertise. But I see it as my duty to remain in Barnard's Rest to provide the necessary human counterpoint to your rather cold bedside manner '

He turns and walks out of the clinic.

-----

Isabella's face appears on the datapad. She looks preoccupied. 'What is it? There's something funny going on here, I'm in the middle of something, can it wait?'

Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:03 pm
by Starspawn338
After Nurse Richards leaves, Jojo nods and offers a slight smile at his words. Places like this need men like him.

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:36 pm
by aine
Virgil looks over Nicole’s shoulder so he can see Isabella on the datapad,
“Why, what’s happened? Where are you?” He asks her.
Ooc,Is the computer portable? Could we take it with us - for safekeeping?

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:29 pm
by Raiko

"We do have something that we could use your help for, but nothing too urgent" says Nicole.

"Do you need help?"

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:07 pm
by Mephistophilis
Isabella sounds exasperated, 'Look, no, it's fine, I'm in the corporate suite, I'm just having trouble accessing some parts of the system, like I'm being locked out. It's weird, I'm trying to check whether there's extra security but I can't seem to get into CENTRAL's core routines. Okay, what's your problem, I could do with a break anyway.'
OOC,The computer is comprised of a freestanding unit like a flat screen monitor - but it is pretty big and likely to be unwieldy, there's also a smaller keyboard. Usually the computer is inside the monitor as most people use them as touch screen displays, the doctor obviously liked to type things, which is unusual in this day and age
Jojo,While the others haven't yet caught up with you time wise if there's anything you'd like to look at in the clinic you could have been doing that while running the toxicology

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:34 am
by Starspawn338
Once alone, Jojo begins a detailed inventory of the clinic starting with the controlled substances. He will match everything to the system records and note any discrepancies. Then he will check everything that Dr. Holzer has officially recorded over the past month to see if there is any change in operating procedure or note taking that he can discern.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:31 pm
by aine
“I’d like to get this wrapped up as soon as possible- and before anyone decides it’s a good idea to wipe the Doctor’s computer of evidence.” Virgil says to Nicole. “Especially as this may be one of the few computers not accessible by CENTRAL.”

“Isobella, we have an offline conundrum we’d like your help with, in Doctor Holzer’s apartment. CENTRAL can direct you. Then We’ll see what we can do to bypass those security blocks for you; the Marshal and I have top clearance. In theory.” He adds dryly.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:34 pm
by Mephistophilis
Jojo looks through Holzer's records. Apart from the discrepancy around the opioids there is nothing that leaps out at him as out of order. However, one aspect of the records is slightly odd. Holzer has been taking medication and equipment out of the clinic and treating miners on-site at the pumping stations for some really quite significant injuries such as comminuted long bone fractures.

As Jojo is finishing up there is a commotion at the door of the Medical Centre.
Jojo,You're moving here: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=472&t=7200[/url]
-----

After a few minutes Isabella arrives at Doctor Holzer's apartment.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:41 am
by Raiko
Nicole nods in agreement with Virgil, "Agreed, I just needed to check that Isabella's situation wasn't an emergency.

"You should know; the Security Chief - David Montrose - he was one of my instructors when I joined the Marshals. It was my plan to pay him a visit as soon as the autopsy is complete. To find out how the hell he let things get like this."

She gestures back towards the medical centre itself. Then shaking her head Nicole adds, "It is not what I would expect of him."

When Isabella arrives, Nicole indicates the terminal.

"Can you get us in?"

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:10 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Can I get you in?' Isabella laughs. She takes out a small dongle from her pocket and attaches it to a port on the computer. 'CENTRAL, interface with peripheral sigma-nine, access the login security interface strip the abstraction layer, execute key quantum decryption algorithm blackbox-theta.'
OOC,Isabella Computer Use 70%,[dice]0[/dice]
A red LED light blinks twice on the grey plastic dongle. 'Et voila!' says Isabella as the computer display shows the desktop.

Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:03 pm
by aine
Virgil raises his eyebrows, “Good work!” He murmurs and then he nods to Nicole, “See what you can find.”

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:02 am
by Raiko
"Okay, let's see what we can find," Nicole accesses the computer to see what she can find.
ooc,Sorry, I didn't mean to hold up play. I'm not sure what to look for specifically, so I guess Nicole is initially just looking what is available, and going first for anything that's obviously a journal or files on a suspicious topic.
While she's looking she asks Isabella, "Will our access be able help you with your own problems accessing CENTRAL?

"How unusual is that situation? I assume you weren't expecting to be locked out?"

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:48 am
by Mephistophilis
Isabella looks troubled. 'It's complicated, I had a nosey through the colony systems and there was nothing that jumped out at me. But there were a couple of things I couldn't access. Usually I can just override CENTRAL's blocks directly with my corporate security clearance but that didn't work. So I tried to take a look at CENTRAL's core systems. All CENTRAL artificial intelligences have a core AI that is like a quasi-organic brain, it is non-linear and non-deterministic so it needs a kernel to interface with the peripheral systems through a number of modules that have protocols and subroutines to set parameters on the AI. Now usually these core modules are the same, the same on Ganymede as on Mars, but I can't access them here, I'm locked out and I don't know why. I doubt your clearance is any better than mine, I helped write most of the code for these kernels, I know them better than anyone.'

-----

Nicole sits down at the computer. Once inside, Holzer's financial records and other documents are easily accessible. One document entitled 'Absolution' stands out as unusual; the last saved revision was the day of his death. In it, Holzer lays out the existence of a secondary site on Titan, in addition to the five pumping stations, he says it is worked entirely by convict laborers, using high-risk illegal extraction techniques and he has been compelled to treat men injured at this second site; when he tried to report this illegal operation, he was blocked by Montrose, the head of security, and Kingsley, the administrator. Later entries get very strange, reporting hearing voices and recurring nightmares that kept him from sleeping, and how he begins to use opiods to quiet them as best he can. It remains unclear if his overdose was accidental or an act of suicide.
Absolution,See here for an extract: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=472&t=7217&p=241564#p241564[/url]

Re: Handouts

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:53 pm
by aine
“It’s grim reading. But it does clear up the mystery. It look like the Doctor got space-rot. Obviously couldn’t take the pressure. It explains the drugs in his body when he died as it looks like he overdosed by mistake. And it explains the inventories not adding up either.”
Virgil rubs the back of his neck.
“Well done. Now let’s hope the engineers have solved the production mystery and we can all go home.”

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:25 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kiara, Sam, and Moses swipe into Holzer's apartment and find Isabella, Virgil, and Nicole going through the doctor's computer.

'Dr Johnson threw us out' says Moses, 'he's treating Chief Engineer White.'

'We're trawling Dr Holzer's files, take a look at this, seems he went doolally' says Isabella, showing them the document marked 'Absolution'.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:57 pm
by aine
“I think we’ve found all we are going to here. Did you find anything interesting?” Virgil asks the engineers quickly.

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"We found Chief Engineer White out near the pumping station with a helmet breach," says Sam, "I sealed the breach and brought him to the clinic. Jojo's looking after him. I think he'll live. Luckily we got there quick enough. There were also tracks heading away from his location, and the computer was oddly reticent about answering questions related to them. I think that qualifies as interesting." She reads the document, furrowing her eyebrows. "Did Holzer die of a fentanyl overdose? What did the autopsy report say? Could be a case of space madness, it happens all too often. Once on Mars a guy tried to walk out an airlock without a spacesuit. The computer safety protocols wouldn't let him, of course."

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:40 am
by jp1885

After confirming Sam’s story, Kiara reads the Absolution document. She sighs, deciding whether or not to reveal what she knows. Eventually she comes to a decision.

“Funny Montrose’s name should come up. We saw reports of a damaged ‘copter that had been piloted by him.”

“The secondary site with the convicts and illegal stuff? Could be pumping station six: you take the maglev to the surface rovers. I saw it signposted at the maglev hub. This ‘beauty that burrows’... could be madness... but I did hear someone talking about excavations...”

She smiles shyly and shrugs.

“Hey, I am one of the Khans, as much as I hate to admit it.”

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:24 pm
by aine
Virgil has been reading the Absolution document again over Kiara’s shoulder. He breaks off,
“Bloody typical!” He mutters, looking thunderous and then he pulls himself together. “You’d, er, have thought life was hard enough out here without damn cults springing up. Look, I’ll have a word with Administrator Kingsley to find out what his take is on all this. And that security officer.”

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:49 pm
by Raiko
"Yes, it is time I spoke with David Montrose. That's two suspicious incidents on his watch now

"What is the story with the crashed 'copter?"

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"We weren't given any details," says Sam, "We'll need to ask Sergeant Montrose. CENTRAL, where is Sergeant Montrose?"

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:29 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Hello Engineer Golightly.' The low, synthetic sound of CENTRAL echoes around the room. 'Sergeant Montrose is in his quarters.'

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:20 pm
by jp1885

“Hey CENTRAL, do you detect life-signs in Montrose’s quarters?” Kiara asks, just in case.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:10 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Scanning for life signs...scanning...inconsistent readings...rebooting sensor array...inconsistent readings...sensor array malfunction. I am unable to confirm life signs in Sergeant Montrose's quarters Science Officer Khan.'

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:27 pm
by jp1885

"Um, perhaps we'd better get going," Kiara says to the others; a note of panic rising in her voice.

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yeah," says Sam, already hurrying to Montrose's quarters.

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:34 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC,You don't actually know where his quarters are yet

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:01 am
by Mr. Handy

"CENTRAL, how do we get to Sergeant Montrose's quarters from here?" asks Sam.

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:22 am
by Mephistophilis
CENTRAL announces 'Sergeant Montrose's quarters are in the security complex which is in the west of the main colony building.' This is actually not too far from the Medical Centre.
OOC,Everyone going to see Montrose?

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:24 am
by jp1885
OOC,Kiara will go.

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:11 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC,Anyone going to find Montrose is heading here: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=472&t=7233#p241853[/url]

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:13 pm
by aine
“This seems ominous.” Virgil mutters as he hurries after Sam.