OOC Discussion

By the waning years of the 22nd century, humanity has expanded beyond Earth, establishing colonies on Mars, Ceres, and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn; the latter of these being largely penal or mining colonies, taking advantage of the isolation and mineral wealth of these moons. One such colony, known as Benedict’s Rest, was established on the shores of the north polar sea of Ligeia Mare on the moon Titan, in the year 2169. Originally a penal colony that used convict labor to harvest liquid methane, Benedict’s Rest was bought out by a German energy conglomerate, Richter Dynamics, and expanded; now, in 2189, contract, or “free” miners outnumber convicts 5 to 1—158 free miners to 31 convicts.

The colony’s productivity, formerly the highest of any Richter colony site, has dropped 19% in the last month with no reasonable explanation provided. In the same period, the colony medic, Dr. Henry Holzer, has died; the administration has been vague regarding cause, though it has been intimated that he committed suicide. Over the objections of colony administrator James Kingsley, Richter Dynamics has sent a team of corporate troubleshooters to investigate these two issues and make recommendations to revive productivity.

Moderator: Mephistophilis

jp1885
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Re: OOC Discussion

Post by jp1885 »

When I re-joined the forum, I didn’t re-join this game as I thought it didn’t have long to run (so there wouldn’t be much point in giving the GM extra admin). How wrong I was!

I enjoyed playing and later lurking - thanks for running such a fun game.

Playing Kiara was interesting. I’m glad no-one suspected her as a traitor until the end!
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Yeah, the secret agendas for Kiara and Jojo were played well. I don't remember whether Virgil had an agenda but he certainly got neck deep in things pretty quickly.

Clearly pacing is something I need to work on though.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Sam was exactly as described on the tin: a competent engineer who did her job well. Of course, she wasn't one of the pregens, so she didn't have built-in secrets. We did make good choices and have some lucky rolls (helped by spending Luck effectively) that enabled us to get off Titan in one piece.

If you want to read a science fiction adventure with pregens with secret agendas, feel free to check out The Ninth Planet, the second adventure in my Doctor Who/Call of Cthulhu campaign. Not all of the secrets came out during the course of play, but there was a lot of paranoia as part of the scenario design, and it really hampered the investigators.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Yeah, Sam definitely avoided some bad stuff happening to them. I'd also forgotten how much they all learned about the biology of the alien parasite. I've just remembered that Virgil knew all about Waystation, so he got inducted into the secrets of the Xenoforms early on by Kingsley (again, some good rolling saved him being erased from the equation). They planned to bring one back to Richter Dynamics hidden in the shuttle. Unfortunately that knowledge didn't help him when he met one face to face.

I must confess I was slightly looking forward to you all trying to fight the aliens with riot rounds and stun batons. It would have been funny.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

We had enough sense not to even try that. Like I said, if a squad of Colonial Marines couldn't deal with it, what chance did we have? Best to nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
aine
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by aine »

Sorry, late for the party - was away camping in the Lakes. This adventure was a storm; thanks so much for running it.
I felt the characters were fully fleshed and I enjoyed the secrets: I based Virgil on Ash from Alien, a typical corporate out for filling his own pockets. He held his own against the alien for a while… but probably best for the team that he died.
Anyway, it felt like we were in a movie; good plot! :)

Return to “The Titan Incident”