The city in the ice

In the coldest and most isolated place on Earth, survival is a hope, not a guarantee. Death and terror shadow your every move, and all paths lead to an ancient city where a horrifying truth lays buried deep beneath the ice.

Moderator: kabukiman

kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 1 month

Re: The city in the ice

Post by kabukiman »

You walk in direction of the tunnel. You notice that the temperature starts slowly dropping but you all start hearing a voice chanting, even if you don't understand the words. After a while you arrive at a great hall full of weird glyphs in the walls; there is a man there with a booklet in his hands and his chanting what it is written. He uses a nazi uniform, and doesn't notice your arrival.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Alex cocks his head and listens to the words...
Keeper,Alex has the Linguist talent so can identify any language - what is it?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Since he doesn't know German, Harry waits for Alex to translate the chanting.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Snapper »

Crowley:

Crowley is not feeling overly generous with the world right now. He is last man to arrive but when he does, he levels his shotgun at the Nazi.

"All right, stop right there Boche! No more chanting, I have a headache."
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

The german stops immediatly and in panick says:
"Dont shoot, I'm just a linguistic!"

Alex: you never heard nothing like this. Some of the sounds seem actually that they aren't even made to the human mouth and they are just the imitation of what some other creature would made (not saying that the german is not human,but he is trying to imitate non human sounds).
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by Starspawn338 »

"Dont shoot, I'm just a linguistic!"
"Are you reading from something? Have you written down what is on the walls of this place?" Butch says to the man.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel
Life is a comedy to those who think
Life is a fantasy to those who game
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'A linguist? That's curious because I don't recognise what you've been chanting as any known language. What are you up to?' says Alex, In German, levelling his shotgun at the man.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Easy there, fellows," says Harry. "I don't think he's a threat." He speaks to the German. "Were you injured by any of the monsters? I've got some serum that might help."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

"No, I'm not hurt. I've come with the other americans and my companions. The leader of your expeditio was sure that the solution was somewhere here and he was rigth! I've managed to decypher this language. Well, a part of it. But he didn't wanted to wait, he said time was urging, and we couldn't risk that Otto would succeded, so they tried to stop him and they lef before I was able to discover this."- he says with frustration.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crowley:

"Where are the American expedition members now?"
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

"They all went to try to stop the awakening that Otto is trying to do"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What is it that you've discovered?" asks Harry.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Butch will lower his rifle but keep watch as the others question the german. He's disturbed by the talk of an awakening which conjures images of a transformation from human to something other than human but he attempts to put those thoughts from his mind.
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crowley:

Crowley lowers his shotgun and cautiously approaches the Nazi. "Very well. Show us this book. And what exactly is your chanting trying to accomplish?"
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

"Well..."-he seems to hesitate a little but then continues "the builders of this city weren't humans. They had a completly alien form, like a star shaped form. They had a hieroglyphic writing that was very obvious and that it is how I was able to decypher it, even if there are some gaps in my knowledge; each symbol means a concept so they have tens of thousands. Of course, I wasn't able to understand how to pronounce the sounds, that was impossible, if they were able to make sounds of any sort. Anyway, I have also some idea of their history. It seems that they came from a very far place, how don't understand yet if it is from another continent or planet" he says as an excuse. "This place was made as a prison to a certain entity and the creatures living here were the guardians. About one milion years ago, they have bring what seems to be a creature related to humans; not our ancestors but another branch of humanity we never heard before. Later the creatures left or extinguish, i don't know, and only the humans survived. They keeped the old writing for respect but they created a simplified version, this glyphs that you see here. I was lucky to find what you coud call several rosetta stone's. About how to spell correctly the sound of the language..." At this moment he sights and then continue:
"I'm Hans Grubberman a professor at the Berlin University, like several other members and we were recruited to this special unit: the pay is good and we have access to a lot of ressources to our investigation; the rest are soldiers from the SS. But I was then presented to Otto. He... was different. He didn't had any formal education, but seemed to know a lot of this place. I think it was him that convinced someone in the SS to create this expedition. Well, after I was able to decypher the writing, he compared with the copy he had from a very old book I never heard before "Liber Ivonis", a latin book, supposely from an ancient antediluvian civilization. As strange as it may seems, as soon as I started to pronounce the words, I somehow knew it was correct. Our group had already joined you americans by this time. But then Otto discovered that in this walls were some formules to control those creatures, at least the weakest, and how to awake whatever entity is being guarded here. Otto vanished and we were attacked immediatly by those creatures. We lost most of our people here and the commander of the americans said that he had to stop Otto. He went with the remaining americans and soldiers and asked me to try to learn the formulas, and then join him, since once I know it, I can help them. I still need one or two hours to be sure about the words, but I can try to teach you"

OOC: Everyone looses 1d6 of san. Everyone gains 1d6 of cthulhu mythos.
If you want to learn the basics of the language, gain 1d6 in Hyperborean (writting and reading). If you want to learn the spell of controlling mutants, loose 1d3 point of san. To use the spell, you spend 4 magic points to control the basic mutant.
To use the spell that keep the entity frozen, you loose 1d10 of sanity and 20 magical points (it may be done by several persons together).
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Alex stands, his mouth agape. 'You, they, we, what?' He looks over the strange alien language, there is something about it, familiar, compelling. Tracing his hands across the carvings he begins to try and read them, understand the formulae. 'If we can recite this form, this pattern, I believe we could stop him awakening this...this creature.'

OOC:   Rolls: Sanity loss 4+2 (second to learn the spell), Cthulhu Mythos 3%, Hyperborean 3%  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Harry is somewhat disturbed by these revelations, from which he learned a lot, though he barely understood the strange language.
OOC, My Sanity's getting down there, so I won't use the spell for controlling mutants. I can just kill them, and I'll save my Sanity and MP for the big spell to keep the entity frozen. I think the Sanity cost is for casting the spell, not for learning it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Snapper
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Snapper »

Crowley:

SAN loss: 1d6 4

OOC:   Crowley continues to use his talent to trade Luck for SAN.  

Cthulhu Mythos: 1d6 6

Hyperborean: 1d6 6
Starspawn338
Disciple
Disciple

Post by Starspawn338 »

Butch listens with morbid fascination to the explanations, failing to grasp most of what is explained. He does a bit better with the language, enough to know that he doesn't want to let the entity out.

"We must stop Otto if he's going to release a bigger monster than what we've already encountered."
kabukiman
Keeper
Keeper

Post by kabukiman »

After this intensive classes, you feel tired but more confident.
"Well, I have teach you all I could in this few hours. I guess we can go now." -He says very reluctant.

Return to “Hollow Earth Expedition II: Frozen City of Terror”