IC - 28 - The Big Smoke - Simon and Jocelyn

6.30pm Thursday 11th March 2010, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.

A five-year old girl, Regina Balfour, is kidnapped in broad daylight from the Eden Shopping Centre, while her mother’s back is momentarily turned. Left behind is her ladybird shaped backpack, which contained supplies for her insulin pump. She needs her medication to live more than a few days, and her condition will rapidly deteriorate without it...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: IC - 28 - The Big Smoke - Simon and Jocelyn

Post by Mephistophilis »

Describe what you think you've got and roll Law if you want a good idea how strong your evidence is +/- how to make it work best in court
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Maybe its just the coffee, but Simon is feeling jittery. Enough so that he smiles broadly at Louise in response.

"Ms. Louise Hayman. So good to see you again. I was hoping the two of us could have a chat."
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Louise looks Simon up and down. She sighs wearily but doesn't seem afraid. 'Great, another one. You don't look like your friend - she was real classy - like a proper detective - you're more like a...librarian.'
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Doctor Simon Eagleton. Consulting psychologist, actually. I assisted with that nasty Thorndike case last year.

"I know that you are a religious woman, Ms. Hayman. Do you have a favorite story from the Bible? I'm partial to the Binding of Issac myself." He casually remarks, attempting to gauge her reaction.

1d100
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We have the records from Balfour's 'church' proving that she's a member," says Jocelyn. "We also have our own extensive eyewitness testimony of our observations during our investigations. We recovered some DVDs made by someone who had infiltrated the cult, but the most damning one was ruined due to a technical fault. However, we can testify to what we saw on it." She doesn't know whether this will be enough, but she hopes Kris will.

Law roll (25% skill) about how good their case is and how to use their evidence:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Post by Philulhu »

”To that, we can add consorting with a known criminal - and former gang member - but really the evidence we have about the plans of the church should be robust enough. It did the job for Regina Balfour and we’ve every reason to believe that Louise Hayman’s daughter is in just as much danger. Frankly, if the Reverend Balfour’s plans come to fruition, I think we all are!”

Law (54%) 1d100
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kris knows their evidence against Hayman is largely circumstantial. Despite what Jocelyn says they don't have anything that directly connects her to Balfour's church, only the presence of her phone number in Johnny Zero's burner phone. What they have seen and researched about Balfour and the church is pretty convincing and would probably get them an Emergency Protection Order, it's just that connection with Louise Hayman and her daughter that's missing. Kris figures they could probably finesse the evidence a bit, exaggerate things they've seen and the connection with Samuels and by extension Johnny Zero, but it'd come out later when Hayman got a lawyer - probably too late for Balfour's ceremony, but it might well come back and bite Kris if he's told any outright lies. The real risk is that the judge doesn't allow them to make an ex parte application and so Hayman gets notice of the proceedings and the chance to employ a lawyer, or to warn Balfour what's going on.

-----

'Ooh, doctor, whatever...' she shrugs, clearly unimpressed. When Simon talks about her being a religious woman she lets out a snort. 'What are you fucking on about?' she asks. She seems bemused by his line of questioning.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”So, what do you think? Do you think we’ve got a case?” asked Kris.

He really hoped they had, otherwise they were in trouble!
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Simon can't help himself; a brief look of surprise crosses his face at her reaction, but he quickly recovers.

"You seem tired," he observes, trying a different tact. "Of course I would be as well, if my reverend told me to let him murder my child in some twisted ritual. Is that what makes it so hard for you to sleep? Even if you buy into his dogma, I'd say that's a logical reaction. It's an entirely different thing for Balfour to offer up his own child to God as opposed to a random congregation member. I'm not at all convinced that would satisfy whatever covenant he thinks he is making."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It won't be easy, but I think we have a chance," says Jocelyn. "We can tie her to Balfour indirectly via Johnny Zero. He and Samuels make two criminal associates of hers. I'd feel better if we had a direct link. Maybe Simon can worm it out of her. We should text him to let him know to dig for that. Knowing him, he's already doing it."

I had thought her name was on the church membership list. I hadn't realized that we only had her name from Johnny's SIM card.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Perhaps, Samuel’s the real danger? He’s closer to Balfour, although still via Johnny Z.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'I don't know what you're talking about?' hisses Louise, clicking her tongue against her teeth in disdain. 'I sleep just fine but I ain't no religious nutjob. I know about that Balfour guy - he was on the news - his daughter got kidnapped then you pigs got her taken off him. Is that cos he wants to kill his kid, in some ritual? And you think I got something to do with it?' If anything she seems to be getting more annoyed, redder in the face the more she talks.

------

The woman shrugs at Kris's question, 'Guess we have to chance it,' she says nonchalantly - is that gum she's chewing? - 'We've got Judge Richards, he's usually alright if you butter him up right.'
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Simon studies the woman very, very carefully.

1d100
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

What do you want to know?
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

If she's being truthful or if there's any sign of deception.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thanks, good to know," says Jocelyn. She sends Simon a text letting him know that they need something connecting Louise Hayman to Balfour.

If Samuels tries to grab the child, it's kidnapping, and we can bust him. If Louise does it, she has every right unless we can get the protection order. But Samuels may be more dangerous physically.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Let’s see what comes of Simon’s chat with Louise. We may have her all wrong.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I agree. You may be right.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Simon studies Louise carefully. She stops talking, seems to relax a bit, and silently appears to be studying him back. 'Seems to me, Doctor, that you've got yourself some innacurate information about me.'

She's calm. Not distressed or anxious but there's a look of concern in her eyes. A bit less dismissive than she was now she's got the measure of Simon.

She turns and slides off her chair. 'I think you need to be straight with me,' she says slowly. 'What exactly is it you think I've done? And...'

She moves towards Simon, faster than he'd given her credit for. 'Exactly what this has to do with my daughter.'

Louise has moved in quite close to Simon and as she emphasises the word daughter he feels a pressure against the top of his leg. He looks down to see that she has something held tightly in her hand, the tip pressed up against his trousers. It's difficult to tell exactly what it is but from the sharp tip and the general shape he thinks it is some sort of short, narrow knife. Someone who knew more about manicures might recognise it as a cuticle knife.

His heart starts speeding up but even feeling the first flush of panic he is detached enough to note that up close like this gives him a real opportunity to study her eyes, her expression. Louise doesn't look guilty, doesn't look like she's hiding something. But there's a fear there, like a cornered animal. Like a mother standing over her cubs. She's thinking, studying Simon, processing what he says and does, but she's dangerous as well, unpredictable.

------

'So we ready to go in then?' asks the social worker.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Simon Eagleton is many things, and it's fair to say one of those things is a coward. But he is also a man who gets offended rather easily, and right now this emotion wins out. Put simply, he is too much of an egotist to feel the level of fear most would in this situation.

He glares back at Louise, looking more annoyed than intimidated.

"You're not lying. You're nervous, but not due to being one of Balfour's ilk. I knew it. I should have gone with my gut rather than letting those fools talk me into this; you never even fit the profile! Of course Balfour would have used someone on the membership list, precisely as I pointed out!" It was likely he could have gone on in this vein for some time, but self preservation leads him to focus.

"You did not help your case with your actions yesterday, Ms. Hayman. I don't know what Jocelyn said to you, though I imagine it was rather a clumsy attempt to get something out of you-- this is why one does not send amateurs for this sort of thing-- regardless, you running to Samuels put you at the top of the police's suspect list and led them to think you were Balfour's co conspirator and preparing to let him murder your child. They're in court now, trying to get your child taken into protective custody for a day so Balfour can't use her in his ritual. This is why one must be careful whom they associate with.

"Now remove the weapon and control yourself, and I will text them and tell them to desist. You strike me as sensible enough to realize that I'm the only one who can stop this nonsense before it goes any further. Such a colossal waste of time for all involved, all while Balfour gets closer to enacting whatever he's planning."

Return to “Ladybird, Ladybird, Fly Away Home”