IC - 28 - The Big Smoke - Simon and Jocelyn

6.30pm Thursday 11th March 2010, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.

A five-year old girl, Regina Balfour, is kidnapped in broad daylight from the Eden Shopping Centre, while her mother’s back is momentarily turned. Left behind is her ladybird shaped backpack, which contained supplies for her insulin pump. She needs her medication to live more than a few days, and her condition will rapidly deteriorate without it...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

IC - 28 - The Big Smoke - Simon and Jocelyn

Post by Mephistophilis »

Monday, late afternoon, 15th March 2010, Lewisham, London
Two days since Regina Balfour was rescued.

It takes a few hours for Jocelyn to battle through the London traffic and then circle the streets of Lewisham until she finds a parking spot. Best described as 'up and coming,' Lewisham is somewhat down at heel and Louise Hayman's nail bar, the classily named Get Nailed! (yes, including the exclamation mark), is down a side road off the main high street, next to a small garage and repair shop. There are lights on in Get Nailed! but it is difficult to see from the street whether anyone inside resembles the grainy photo provided to Jocelyn and Simon by the Met Police.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: IC - 28 - The Big Smoke - Simon and Jocelyn

Post by Silver Priest »

"Puns are the worst form of humour," Simon declares.

"Well Jocelyn, perhaps you should head inside and see if you can spy anyone who looks like Hayman. I doubt she knows precisely what we look like, and you'd stand out far less than me."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll go in, then," says Jocelyn, "while you wait in the car. Wish me luck." She gets out of the vehicle and heads inside.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The bell tinkles as Jocelyn pushes open the door. Inside there is a long table down the middle of the room, just off centre. There are simple plastic seats in bright primary colours running down both sides of the table and a few more comfy looking padded chairs against another wall. While it is clean and bright there is something a bit tired looking about the nail bar, the colours are a bit faded, cracks and tears are visible in the fabric of the place.

Two women sit the at the long table, on each side, chatting. One is a black woman in her twenties, and opposite her is a white woman in her forties, she matches the photo of Louise Hayman, just about. They don't even look up.

Immediately inside the door is a small reception table and a black woman in her fifties is sitting there. She gets up as Jocelyn walks in, looking a little surprised.

'Hello, can I help you?'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'd like a manicure, please," says Jocelyn.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The woman looks Jocelyn up and down, seemingly unsure as to whether to take her seriously. Then she shakes her head slightly and looks over to the two women sitting at the table.

'Sure, it's late, but we can probably squeeze you in. What d'you want done?'

-----

Simon looks down at his phone and sees a text message from Kris saying they're following Sarah Balfour.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, I'm sorry, I don't want to keep anyone if you're about to close," says Jocelyn. "I can come back another day."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

It surely takes Simon a moment to decipher Kris' text, but when he does he responds.

Noted. Jocelyn is attempting to get eyes on Louise Hayman, one of the individuals listed in Johnny's phone. Please text an update if you require our assistance.

He sends it, looking out the window. Truth be told he felt this was a dead end; Hayman's daughter struck him as a little old to be the sacrifice. At that age she may be starting to question things, and was unlikely to be as convinced so easily to sacrifice herself as a younger child. But he would humour Jocelyn's before directing them towards Quinn and Hayes. She was a law enforcement agent after all, so he'd respect her hunch.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Now she's made the offer the woman doesn't seem to want to take it back. 'Nah, nah, don't worry. As long as it's something simple, Chandice here can help you out.'

She gestures to the younger woman who flashes Jocelyn a smile and gets up from her seat and moves down the table, nearer to the front and pulls out a chair for her to sit in. 'Can I do you a polish?' she asks in a broad London accent with just the slightest hint of Jamaican.

Luck 46%: 1d100 67
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, that would be good," says Jocelyn as she takes a seat. "Clear polish, please. Something to strengthen my nails and make them look better."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Chandice sets about tidying up Jocelyn's nails, filing a jagged edge here, snipping back a cuticle there. Then she brings out an odd implement that looks a bit like a cross between an electric toothbrush and a rotary tool. She begins to sand down Jocelyn's nails with what she hopes is a nail polisher.

After a few minutes of fairly one-sided conversation so light that Jocelyn can't even remember what was said, Chandice asks her, 'Don't think your're from round here. What brings you to Lewisham?'

Meanwhile, the older woman has started to tidy away some of the polishes and equipment out on the table while the receptionist sits by the window staring into space.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Simon grows restless, wondering what is taking so long. Not wanting to stand out, he pulls out his phone and begins playing Candy Crush, looking up every once in awhile to make sure nothing unusual is occurring or Hayman has left.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, I'm just here doing some temporary work," says Jocelyn.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Oh yeah? Whatcha doing?' asks Chandice lightly. She takes out a rack of nail polishes in every colour Jocelyn can imagine and gestures to them, asking which one she'd like applied to her nails.

The other woman is sweeping by the reception desk and the receptionist gets up and waves goodbye to the other two. The other woman lowers the blind to the front window as the receptionist leaves by the front door.

-----

Simon sees the door to the nail bar open and a black woman, aged maybe in her fifties emerges. She looks left and right down the street then starts walking briskly towards the high street. Then the blind inside the front window is lowered and he can't see inside any longer.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Simon's phone beeps again. Another message from Kris.

Any of those suspects got a London address? We’re following Sarah B in that direction.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Does Simon know if either Isobel Quinn or Jordan Hays' families have a London address? Also welcome back. :)
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, just boring clerical stuff," says Jocelyn, picking out a clear polish. "Paperwork, mostly, but it pays the bills. I'm sure your job is much more interesting. You must get all sorts of customers in here."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Neither Isobel nor Jordan have London addresses - they're both in Wycombe

Chandice visibly wrinkles her nose at the bland clear polish Jocelyn selects. Looking at the garish and clashing colours on the other woman's nails she can see they don't quite share an aesthetic.

'We get all sorts alright. Rude girls, gangsters...'. Chandice seems to catch someone's eye as she says this and then shuts her mouth. She's looking at the other white woman who's sat in the receptionist chair by the door. She seems to be studying Jocelyn.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jocelyn tries to tap into the unspoken communication between the women. "I bet your colleagues are interesting too," she says. "You must have fun conversations in between customers."

Psychology roll (55% skill) in the nail shop:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Simon taps out a reply. Not really. One of Johnny's mates is in London, but I don't believe he's connected to this matter; he reported he came around a month or so ago and tried to indirectly ask how to get a gun. The two I suspect are both from families in Wycombe. I'll fill you in when we meet up. Keep me informed.

Return to “Ladybird, Ladybird, Fly Away Home”