IC -27 - Stakeout! - Everyone

6.30pm Thursday 11th March 2010, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.

A five-year old girl, Regina Balfour, is kidnapped in broad daylight from the Eden Shopping Centre, while her mother’s back is momentarily turned. Left behind is her ladybird shaped backpack, which contained supplies for her insulin pump. She needs her medication to live more than a few days, and her condition will rapidly deteriorate without it...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: IC -27 - Stakeout! - Everyone

Post by Mephistophilis »

The fire engine is parked outside the house. It's big enough that if you approach from the far side you probably won't be visible to someone inside the house, although they might realise someone is talking to the firemen if they hang around too long.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"One of you can introduce yourself to the firemen," Simon suggests, "Explaining this is a police matter. Ask them to pull down the road a bit and fill you in on what they saw inside. I'm not sure if we should leave yet; it does not seem likely Balfour knows we're here, so this may be a useful time to try and see what else we can observe."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Agreed," says Jocelyn. "I think it should be Kris who talks to them. He's the only one of us with a badge and the authority that goes with it. We're consultants."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Kris couldn’t think of a good reason why he shouldn’t do it, so he sighed and got out of the car.

Walking quickly but casually so as not to attract attention, he approached the fire engine, keeping it between him and the house. He tapped on the door and flashed his warrant card.

DC Kris Sapru,” he said, introducing himself. “We’ve got an ongoing investigation and just need to ask what it was they were burning in there?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The door to the fire engine opens and a man leans down to speak to Kris. He's dressed in a heavy black jacket and trousers trimmed with fluorescent strips and with a yellow helmet on his lap.

He looks over the warrant card. 'Yeah, well I can't say I'm surprised that nutjob has attracted your attention. Didn't wanna let us take a look out the back. Anyway, he's got a fire pit going there. Old fence panels, random bits of wood, even old furniture. And he's been boxing up all the ashes. Real creepy looking, but the fire's under control. Nothing for us to do.'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Boxing it up?” asked Kris, puzzled. “Like putting the ashes in boxes, right? Cardboard or wooden boxes?”

‘What the hell is Balfour up to?!’ he wondered.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Boxes, yeah, not cardboard boxes, those ashes can be pretty hot. But wooden boxes or crates, yeah,' he says. The other fireman leans over to listen, 'Looks like they were burning stuff then sweeping out the fire pit and boxing up the ashes when they were cool. Then burning some more stuff. Never seen anything like it.'

The second fireman laughs, 'Never seen anything like it? No surprise you weren't no Catholic altar boy Steve. It's Lent for fuck's sake, pardon my French. You know, Ash Wednesday, burning palm crosses.' He puts on a solemn voice, 'Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return,' he intones.

The first shakes his head, 'Nah, this ain't for drawing little crosses on people's heads. This is ashes for something bigger. Whatever that is.'

'Can't you use ash as fertiliser?' asks the second. 'Maybe they've got an allotment?'

Now it's the time for the first fireman to laugh. 'The shit they were burning? That'd poison the soil. But you're right Mark, I don't know anything about religion, but even I know this is a bit weird.'
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Simon keeps watching the house to see if there's any signs of people coming or going from it.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

As you may be able to tell, I’m not Catholic,” said Kris.

”What would they be using the ashes for?” he asked the left footer.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jocelyn also keeps watch on the house, ready to call Kris on his mobile to give him a heads up if it looks like anyone inside is paying undue attention.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The second fireman looks over Kris then shakes his head. 'Guess not. But like Steve here says, you don't need boxes of ash for Lent, and Ash Wednesday was a month ago. Ashes mean repentance, but they burn the old palm crosses from the year before. Not fences and other nasty crap.' He shrugs. 'The Rev is some extremist isn't he? Maybe he's a got a job-lot of sins need forgiving?'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I wish I knew,” grumbled Kris. ”It would make my job so much easier!”

He risked a quick glance at the house, then back to the firemen. ”Anyway, thanks for the info, gents. Take it easy and stay safe.” He tipped them a mock salute then returned to the car, using the fire engine as cover again.

Balfour’s burning crosses,” he said, taking his seat in the car once more. ”The Palm Sunday one’s, not the big wooden ones the Klan burn… … … Is that linked to the Passover in some way? Didn’t they mark the houses of those to be spared?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"They put blood from a lamb without blemish on the doorposts and lintels to let the angel of death know to pass over their houses," says Jocelyn. "That's where the holiday gets the name Passover. The lamb was selected four days before that happened. Jesus Christ also rode into Jerusalem on that same date in the Jewish calendar. That's what Palm Sunday commemorates, as He was the perfect Lamb."

Today in 2023 happened to be Palm Sunday.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Simon finds this all rather superstitious, but given Balfour evidently possessed some sort of ability to conjure up "miracles" (He still had to figure out exactly how) he ponders. "So what, he's trying to mark his church as a place to be spared? It may benefit us to observe anyone else who comes out, see if they're carrying anything. If not, chances are they're all planning to seek sanctuary here when the end comes; though I suspect they are intending to anyway."

"I suppose we should question our next move. We have the advantage now that Balfour does not know we're here, so a bit of people watching cannot hurt. I still wonder if Lucy Bates can help us
," He says, referring to the officer that had led the raid on Lindsay's motel room. "She's seen enough to know Balfour is a threat, but given she's suspended her assistance would be rather limited unless we wish to pursue extralegal endeavors... and I know you both are against that. DI Malone has proven surprisingly reasonable recently, but without more to bring him I don't know what more we can expect from him."

"One final thing has been bothering me. Zero has been obsessed with me for the longest time. Since just after my solo interrogation with him, I believe. He keeps looking at me with an unreadable expression that I cannot figure out. He's pleased about something. It's driving me crazy truth be told, as I cannot help but think we're overlooking something, something important."
This is clearly frustrating to him, given he prides himself on his cleverness and cannot imagine someone like Johnny could get something over on him.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We could use Lucy's help," says Jocelyn. "At least one or two of us has to remain here to keep an eye on things, especially now that Balfour probably thinks the surveillance is lifted, and we can't count on the pair we relieved to be subtle. If anyone's going to talk to her, it should be Kris. I'd love to get a wiretap on Balfour, but I know my boss would never authorise it. I know he's up to something, and so are those church members he sent out earlier. I think they're planning to take shelter at the place they have prepared rather than here. Still, there are some things that only Balfour himself can do as part of his plan, and he'll want to do them himself. We have to stick to him and make sure he's always under observation."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I’m not sure how much Lucy Bates will be able to help but we could give it a try. It’s not like my career prospects could get much worse…” said Kris.

He pulled out his phone and sent a quick text. Lucy, its Kris. U got time 4 a chat?”

Personally, I hate ‘text speak’ but it’s just one of the ways in which Kris has failed to grow up… …
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

There's a few minutes delay but eventually Kris's phone pings. There's two words, 'Maybe. Yes.'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

What are we asking her to do? Help with the stake-out?
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

I believe Malone suspended her due to whatever she saw in the motel room, so she's valuable in that she may be our only ally that knows just what we're up against.Given her current suspension she's limited in what she can offer us, but adding someone else to the stakeout could be useful. She's also someone who may have contacts or suggestions on what our next move could be.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, I think that's the best use of her abilities too. She can free some of us up to do other things as needed, and her contacts, local knowledge, and ideas could be helpful.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ladybird, Ladybird, Fly Away Home”