IC - 25 - Paperwork - Everyone

6.30pm Thursday 11th March 2010, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.

A five-year old girl, Regina Balfour, is kidnapped in broad daylight from the Eden Shopping Centre, while her mother’s back is momentarily turned. Left behind is her ladybird shaped backpack, which contained supplies for her insulin pump. She needs her medication to live more than a few days, and her condition will rapidly deteriorate without it...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC - 25 - Paperwork - Everyone

Post by Mr. Handy »

Yes, that sounds like a good plan. We'll just have to be careful not to let Balfour see us, unless of course we want him to see us to get him off balance.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Developing a sore back and fresh resentment for Kris, Simon is in a foul mood.

Once he gets the others alone he does voice skepticism, however, and his eyes show a deep tiredness; but also the flaming zeal of a zealot.

"We've no reason to think we've stopped Balfour or deferred him from carrying out his plan. The holographic projector he used yesterday to stage the eclipse is yet more proof he still has the capability to carry out his plot. I am not convinced surveilling him will do much of anything-- he's been consistently one step ahead of us so far. We must do something he won't expect.

"We know he values his daughter. I have a good relationship with child services, I believe I can get her released into our care. Upon which we can call Reverend Balfour and tell him we'll kill the girl if he goes through with his mad plot."
Seeing the likely horrified look of the other two, he rolls his eyes. "Oh, we won't hurt her, relax. But if he thinks we will he may hesitate long enough to miss whatever deadline he's operating under, and at least buy us some time-- or you both, anyway, better you're not implicated in this.

"My other suggestion is one of you procure me a firearm and I just shoot him. Or I run him down with a car. I'll be arrested, but I'm quite confident you'll be able to air Balfour's dirty laundry and prove that he was a terrorist, and I will be freed and lauded in short order for saving this nation."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”Are you up to date with your medication, Simon?” asked Kris bluntly. “I think we need a better plan than kidnapping or attempted murder!” He shook his head.

Jocelyn, you’ve had experience of dealing with these types of people before so how do you think we should proceed? Personally I’m in favour of some overt surveillance to put Balfour under pressure, if you think that might work? We might need the DI to sign it off as Balfour’s going to complain the minute he sees me.”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"And what is your 'better plan?' "Simon asks. "Surveilling and hoping he makes a mistake? He knows we're onto him and probably suspects we think he's suspicious given we're keeping Regina from him. But whatever his plan is seems to be continuing. Frankly, I think Lewiston had the right of it, save for his incompetence in carrying it out.

"We've tried to do this by the book this entire time and been thwarted at every turn. Even DI Malone thinks we're overreacting. But if Balfour has the influence to make people think the moon turned blood red and create localized hail storms, I fear he may have some way of unleashing a serious terrorist attack. Our only advantage, such as it is, is that he's constrained by his ridiculous superstitions to only want to time the attack for when he believes the world will end. It may have been what stopped him before. If you're not willing to go so far as kill him maybe burn down his church or something, anything to delay him from giving the go ahead to his men. "
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I’m a policeman, Simon!” said Kris. “I’m here to uphold the laws, not break them! I’m likely to lose my job over this as it is - I’d rather not lose my freedom as well!”

He sighed. “If we can’t find another solution, then I’ll look the other way while you burn down his church, ok?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We will not be following your suggestion, Simon," says Jocelyn. "It's not the church that's the issue, anyway, it's the shelter. It's the one place that Balfour believes he can ride out the apocalypse. Eliminate that, and maybe he won't go through with it this time - then again, maybe he'd do it anyway. Neutralising Balfour might not stop him. Sarah might be able to finish the job without him. Still, Balfour seems to me to be the sort who wants to do this himself. He believes he's been chosen, like Abraham. If we keep an eye on him, we'll be in a position to intervene when he inevitably tries something. As for noisy surveillance, that's a thought. It could rattle his cage, but he might just pull some strings to have us removed from the case if he notices our presence. If DI Malone won't listen, Balfour can go over his head."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Fine," Simon sulks. "We will try it your way. I don't want to have to do anything illegal, but I'm just being realistic. Hopefully we'll find a way to stop him without having to resort to them.

He takes a deep breath. "Shall we get to it, then?'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris nodded. ”I’ll see if Prisha can lend us her car, otherwise it’s a taxi or Shanks’ pony,” and he went off to find his sister-in-law…
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We also need to return the vehicle we borrowed last night," says Jocelyn. "I can drive one of them."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”That can be plan B,” Kris said over his shoulder as he left to find Prisha. ”If all else fails, we may need to return the van a bit later than planned.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

In the morning Brian and the kids have already left. Only Prisha remains, sitting at the dinner table with a serious look on her face. There's still no power. No hot water. Simon is increasingly grumpy at the loss of his creature comforts. And the state of his shoes.

'Brian's very worried about the safety of the children Kris. And I agree with him. I'm going to have to ask you to leave today. I'm sorry.'

When Kris asks about borrowing the car she furrows her brow, clearly conflicted.

A Persuade roll with a bonus die I think. Otherwise it's the classy van - Simon will love it - a real Only Fools and Horses vibe.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”I’m sorry, Pris,” replied Kris. ”I wouldn’t have come here if I thought we’d had any other option. We’ll be out of your way, if we can just borrow your car…”

Persuade (58%) 1d100
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Her shoulders slump. 'Okay, okay, I'm not going anywhere today. Just get it back by tonight. And don't tell Brian.'

Okay - where are we going today?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'll drive," says Jocelyn. "Let's check in at the police station first and see if there are any new developments."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Very well," Simon says. "Though I would recommend checking out Balfour's place as well if we're able to and get a chance."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Let’s just see what they’re saying on the news before we go,” said Kris, going over to switch on the TV.

Edited - see below
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kris looks for a remote control and fruitlessly jabs at the buttons. Eventually he approaches the TV set and tries to find a switch to turn it on.

After waiting long enough to elicit some sniggers from Simon and Jocelyn, Prisha eventually says, 'Uh Kris, the power's still out.'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Just testing if you were paying attention!” said Kris testily, tossing the remote control onto the settee. ”Let’s go.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Right," says Jocelyn, following. "I'll drive the van, and we can return it on the way."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Picking up Prisha’s keys, Kris lead the way outside. Before he got in the car, he scanned the sky for any sign of anything out of the ordinary.

Return to “Ladybird, Ladybird, Fly Away Home”