Page 1 of 1

IC - 24 - They Think It's All Over

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:29 am
by Mephistophilis
Sunday afternoon, 14th March 2010, High Wycombe Police Station

One day since Regina Balfour was rescued.

There is a relaxed atmosphere back at the station when they return. Officers are starting to pack up files into boxes. DI Malone explains that in the absence of Johnny Zero there's not much more for them to do. He offers them a drink, to mark the end of the case. He notes that Regina remains in the custody of social services for the moment but Balfour's lawyers are putting a lot of pressure on them to let her go.

Word has come back from the Metropolitan Police in London about the two addresses they visited. Louise Hayman is not known to them, runs a nail bar in Southwark, says she hasn't had any contact with Johnny for years and only knew him in passing back then. Steve Brown is known, used to run with the same crowd as Johnny back in the day, convictions for drug possession and dealing a decade ago but nothing since. Not on the Met's radar and currently working as a support worker in a drugs charity. He says Johnny was round a few months ago - asking about a few of their contacts from the bad old days and he got the sense he was after a gun. Steve says he didn't tell him anything.

What do you want to do?

Re: IC - 24 - They Think It's All Over

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Let's get Rachel's statement first. Hopefully that will delay Regina being returned to her parents, as it implicates Balfour and connects him to Johnny.

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:02 am
by Philulhu
Agreed - that seems like the course of action most likely to stymie Balfour.

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:02 am
by Silver Priest

Sounds good. Is there anyway we can press charges on Balfour for assault on Simon and threatening Jocelyn? Even if the charges are thrown out, I'm guessing it makes it that much more difficult for Balfour to get Regina back when he's facing them, and even the best lawyers probablly cannot get them tossed in less than a week.

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:14 am
by Philulhu
It wouldn’t hurt to make a statement so it can be submitted as evidence against Balfour. The more we have, the more difficult it would life for him.

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:29 pm
by Mephistophilis
Later in the afternoon Rachel comes in to the station and makes a statement. There's not much more to it than they've already heard from her. She minimises any supernatural experiences but talks about Balfour's prophecies regarding the end of the world and making a sacrifice. She turns over what notes she has but they're pretty sparse and mostly filled with character studies of various church members.

Simon and Jocelyn also give brief statements about Balfour's attack and threats against them.

DI Malone looks pretty sceptical when shown the statements. He doesn't think it is likely they'll be able to press charges against Balfour with what they've got on him but he reluctantly agrees to run it past the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) lawyers. They'll get back to him by tomorrow. Until then Regina remains in the care of social services.

What else will you do? There's not much time left for Sunday but you've got Monday which will be a full working day. Don't think you've looked into James Williams in Wycombe.

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:19 pm
by Mr. Handy

Then we should definitely look into him next.

Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:31 pm
by Silver Priest
Simon wishes to protest, but he gets the sense Malone just wants this entire matter dropped. Hopefully the Crown would think different, but if nothing else at least they've kept Regina away from Balfour for another day. They only had to stall for one more, now. Of course the Balfour problem still needed to be dealt with more permanently or this would likely just end up happening again.And for that they needed to find Johnny Zero. He was their best hope of getting something about the reverend's intentions.

In the meantime, he joins the others into looking into James Williams.

"It occurs to me that as a Hail Mary we could look into that reporter woman." He tells Kris and Jocelyn. "She seems a vulture like most reporters. If Balfour's about to get Regina back and we have exhausted all other options we may wish to speak with her and tell her what we know about Balfour. She's a sympathetic source but I doubt she could resist a good exclusive. I'm highly reluctant to do this, however, given this would almost certainly destroy both your careers and have severe blowback on mine. One would hope temporarily, but still."

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's not do that if we can help it, says Jocelyn. "She's already proven herself to be on Balfour's side. I wouldn't give much for our chances of convincing her, and if we failed, we'd be finished. I'd sooner try to convince Balfour himself first."

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:52 am
by Silver Priest
"That's a good point." Simon considers. "Perhaps going to someone in the press in general, one preferably less biased. Even without all of the unusual tricks Balfour employs that would make us sound deranged, we likely have enough to spin a tale of a dangerous religious fanatic who should not have access to children. He attacked me, has connections with groups on a watchlist, and associates with gun slinging criminals. Ideally we'll be able to solve this without taking this step, but I'm not sure. DI Malone seems to want to chose the matter. Rachel may be our only hope, presuming she does not go as insane as Lewiston did. Finding Zero could help as well though, and hopefully this James Williams knows something we can use."

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:43 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, he's probably our best bet on getting a line on Johnny Zero," says Jocelyn.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:17 am
by Philulhu
”Let’s not hang around then,” said Kris. He took a seat at a nearby computer, logged into the PNC and started searching for James Williams.

(65%) 1d100

Edit: ffs…

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris is struggling with the PNC this morning and it takes him an age to remember his login and get it all fired up. There's a multitude of James Williams in the system and it takes Kris even longer to remember that he has the mobile number listed as 'Phil' to cross-reference against. This brings up a hit for a James Williams living in the Micklefield area to the east of High Wycombe. He knows it's a multiracial area of primarily council housing, there's a fair amount of poverty but nowhere near the crime of estates like Castlefield. Williams has nothing else on the PNC except for a speeding caution in the late '90s.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:47 am
by Philulhu
”I’ve found him,” said Kris, rubbing his temples. He wasn’t sure if it was eye strain or just the teeth-grinding patience required to try to get the information out of the PNC system, but either way he was pretty sure that setting about the terminal with a cricket bat would be a good way to resolve it!

Resisting the urge, he jotted down the address and pushed his chair away from the desk. ’Let’s go,” he said, pulling out his car keys and heading for the door.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's go," says Jocelyn, grabbing her stuff and following him. "Shall we bring AFOs? Johnny could be there, and we can presume he's armed and dangerous. But we also want to make sure we bring him in alive. We'll need nonlethal weapons."

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:34 am
by Silver Priest
"As law enforcement, I defer to your judgement," Simon says. "I'd prefer not to go in loud, but given the kind of people Balfour and Johnny are involved with I fear the chances of this sort having a weapon could be high. On the other hand, he has no real record suggesting violence."

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:55 am
by Philulhu
”Good idea,” said Kris, swerving off in the DI Malone’s office to get authorisation for the AFO’s to join them.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:07 pm
by Mephistophilis
7pm Sunday 14th March 2010, Micklefield Road, High Wycombe

One day since Regina Balfour was rescued.

Kris, Jocelyn, and Simon pitch up outside a small block of 1980s-built flats in the Micklefield area of High Wycombe, accompanied by two AFOs, including PC Ollie Grey. They can hear him muttering to the other AFO about 'overtime.' Both AFOs have their submachineguns but are also armed with tasers and CS gas.

The address they have for James Williams is number 2. There can't be many flats in the complex but they don't know which floor. The ground floor entrance to the complex is screened behind a rattan fence with an opening next to what looks like a bin store. The first floor flats, of which there appear to be two, have balconies overlooking the car park, also with a rattan railing or fencing. There are two dormer-style windows coming out of the pitched roof, above the two balconies, and one of these has a small grey-painted metal balcony of its own.

There's a white BMW 3 series in the single parking space for number 2 in front of the fence, 2005 plate.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It's probably Williams's car," says Jocelyn, "but let's check to make sure. If it's not his, we need to know whose it is. It does seem like a rather expensive car for this area."

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:45 am
by Philulhu
Kris put a call into the control room. ”Control - can you run a reg check for me? It’s a white BMW 3 series,” and he gave the registration number of the vehicle parked in front of them.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:50 pm
by Mephistophilis
The control room confirms that the car belongs to a James Williams and is registered to this address.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:24 pm
by Mr. Handy

"All right, let's look for flat number 2," says Jocelyn.

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:28 am
by Philulhu
Peering at the block of flats, Kris adjusted his tactical vest so it felt more comfortable. PC Gray come with me,” he said. ”We’ll go to the front door. Everyone else, stay here to cover the rear in case he tries to make a break for it. If we get access to the flat we’ll call you in. Ok?”

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"All right," says Jocelyn. "Be careful."

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:54 am
by Silver Priest
"Please," Simon adds. "And if there's any standoff do keep in mind I excel at that sort of thing."

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:08 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   So the entrance to the block of flats is behind that rattan fence you can see in the picture, with the cars parked outside. The rear of the block of flats is actually open, no garden, and is just looking out onto a road, as is the left side. You don't know if the flats run all the way from front to back or whether they are divided up. So Kris and Grey can go to the front door and try and get in that way, but there isn't a super clear 'back', there's a rear, that abuts the road, there's a left side, also against the road, and a right side, which has a bit of patio and a small amount of grass then a fairly high wall with another estate beyond it. Since you don't know where the back of Williams's flat is you're going to need to be more specific about who is where.  

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:05 am
by Mr. Handy

I'll stay with the car, in case someone tries to flee and we need to pursue. I'll park it at the rear.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:19 pm
by Philulhu
I had a look on Google Maps but couldn’t find the property (Mickelfield Road is a loooong road…)

Is it somewhere Kris would know or is it too far off his manor?

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:27 pm
by Mephistophilis
Micklefield is very much Kris's manor. He'd know it well, it is just to the east of town. I don't necessarily use exact addresses but since you asked, below is the Google Maps image of the flats, marked with an A for the white BMW, and a B for where the police cars have parked initially, although I understand Jocelyn wants to move a car onto Micklefield Road at the 'rear' of the flats.

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:41 am
by Philulhu
Kris studied the block carefully. ”I don’t think it goes front to back,” he said. “If the suspect’s there and he makes a break for it, he’s likely to go out of the window at the side so keep an eye out on that.”

Jocelyn - if you want to move the car then we’ll go in.”

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:29 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right," says Jocelyn. She drives the car into position and keeps it running, just in case.

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:32 pm
by Silver Priest
Simon also keeps watch in the car, anxiously looking around.

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:25 pm
by Philulhu
Seeing that his colleagues were in position, Kris approached the front door. Keeping to one side, he reached over and knocked three times.

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:08 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris approaches the door to the flats and knocks. There's no answer. He does notice there's an intercom by the door with flats numbered 1 to 6. There's no name in the little plastic cover for number 2. There's also a 'Service' buzzer at the bottom. He peers through the door which has a big clear pane of glass but can't see much inside except for a stairwell and some metal post boxes.

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:25 pm
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn watches, ready in case anything happens.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:42 am
by Philulhu
Kris leant over and pressed the ‘Service’ button on the keypad.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:47 am
by Mephistophilis
The buzzer rings and Kris tries the door but it doesn't open. The buzzer continues for a few minutes and then stops.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:55 am
by Philulhu
Kris waited for the buzzer to cease then he pressed number 6.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:27 am
by Mephistophilis
The buzzer rings for another minute then it stops and an angry male voice comes over the intercom. 'Fuck off. I've told you toerags before. If he doesn't answer he's not in. Ring his number, I know you've got that. But leave me a-fucking-lone!'

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:46 am
by Philulhu
”This is DC Sapru from Thames Valley CID. Could you open the door, please,” said Kris evenly. It sounded as if someone in the block was a dealer - he’d have words with the neighbour at number 6 once they’d braced their target.

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:55 pm
by Mephistophilis
There's no further sounds from the intercom but after thirty seconds Kris hears the latch on the door click. He pushes it open and steps inside the stairwell. There are doors off to the left and right, number 1 on the left, 2 on the right. And stairs beyond. Otherwise, apart from the mail boxes numbered 1 to 6 and the floor covered with pizza delivery fliers and other junk mail there's nothing he wouldn't see in a hundred other blocks of flats.

PC Grey peers over Kris's shoulder. 'Want me to hang back?'

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:13 am
by Philulhu
Kris shook his head. ”No, back me up in case it goes pear-shaped,” he said quietly.

Keeping an eye on the door to the flat, he stepped over to the mail boxes and checked out the one belonging to flat 2, looking to see if there any mail that might suggest it was being emptied regularly.

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:07 am
by Silver Priest
Simon waits in the vehicle for any word. I hope Kris knows what he's doing. This looks like a place filled with ruffians.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:50 am
by Mephistophilis
The post box for flat 2 is slightly odd, in so far as it is not filled to the brim but Kris can see a few flyers and what looks like junk mail and bills poking out around the hatch, like someone's opened it and post has half fallen out and then they've closed it again without emptying it completely.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:59 am
by Philulhu
Can I try a spot hidden? Just in case it’s boobytrapped?

Spot hidden (40%) 1d100

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:02 am
by Mephistophilis
You worried about the post box or the door to the flat? I'll take your roll to cover both either way.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:08 am
by Philulhu
It was the mailbox, just in case someone’s left a little surprise in there.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:51 am
by Mephistophilis
Kris has a poke around the mailbox, trying to get a look inside. As far as he can see it is just a normal metal box, opened with a key at the front. There's no sign of any traps or anything else untoward. Similarly, the door to number 2 is a single solid piece of wood, thick because it's a fire door, painted an off-white colour. There's a small glass spyhole at the top. There's a keyhole. He can't see any evidence of wires or string or anything else that might imply a boobytrap.

Managing to slide out one of the bills from the box, Kris sees it is an overdue television licence demand addressed to James Williams, Flat 2.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:24 am
by Philulhu
”Looks like we’re in the right place,” said Kris. Turning his attention to the door, he squatted and looked through they keyhole.

Spot hidden again, should I need it for spotting anything through the keyhole.

1d100

Edit: Oh crap…

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
Crouching down at the level of keyhole, Kris attempts to look through.

Unfortunately it is a cylinder lock and he can't see anything through the pins.

While he is still crouched, he hears the sound of a bolt being drawn on the other side and the handle turns. The door opens inwards and standing above him there's a tall, rough looking white man who seems to be in his forties. He's pretty large and well muscled with tattoos on his bare forearms. 'What d'you want?' he barks before clocking the armed officer and taking a step back, raising his hands. 'Woah, calm down.'

Everyone roll Spot Hidden and Listen

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn sees something.

Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) watching the building:
d%
Listen roll (55% skill) watching the building:
d%

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:54 am
by Philulhu
Listen (35%) 1d100

Spot hidden (40%) 1d100

Despite the sudden appearance of a mab’s crotch at eye level, Kris was still focused enough to spot something in the apartment.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:34 am
by Silver Priest

1d100 30 Listen

1d100 Spot Hidden 25

"What are you thinking we should have for lunch?" Simon asks Jocelyn, oblivious to everything else.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hold on, I just saw something," says Jocelyn.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:28 pm
by Mephistophilis
Behind the hulking guy in the doorway, Kris thinks he can see something behind him. It's dark, and it's hard to see round this guy, but he's sure he can see something moving further back in the apartment. He tries to stand with as much dignity as he can muster and steps into the doorway. But the man stands in his way, not threateningly, just blocking his ability to move or see inside properly.

Behind him Kris can hear the sound of Ollie shouldering his weapon. 'Armed Police. Step back, down on your knees, hands behind your head.'

The man still doesn't move but raises his hands above his head, 'I think you've got your wires crossed mate.'

-----

Sitting in the car with Simon, prattling on about lunch, Jocelyn sees movement from the direction of the flats. There's a man in the window of a ground floor property. He seems to be trying to open it. It is difficult to tell from this distance but Jocelyn thinks he has dark skin.

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:44 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn taps Simon on the shoulder and points out the window. "There's a man in the window of that flat," she says as she opens the door and gets out of the car. "Looks like he has dark skin. He could be Johnny. Get on your mobile phone and let Kris know. Don't use the radio." She approaches the flat carefully, taking full advantage of available concealment so as not to be seen coming that way from the window.

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:40 am
by Silver Priest
"Right, of course," Simon nods, getting on his phone and giving Kris a call.He feels like James Bond, or at least Luther.

if Kris answers: "Man in the window of one of the ground floor flats-- he might be trying to pull a runner."

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:02 am
by Philulhu
Having picked up the call, ”Out of my way!” snapped Kris, pushing the man to one side and hurrying through the apartment, looking for the man who was trying to escape.

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:54 am
by Mephistophilis
Give me a DEX roll to see who acts first.

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:00 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn is slow to react.

DEX roll (65% stat) to act faster:
d%

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:10 pm
by Silver Priest
OOC:   Don't think you want me, but just in case.  

1d100 Dex 55

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:06 am
by Philulhu
(50%) 1d100

Kris moved with all the grace and elan of a man with sudden-onset arthritis… 🙄

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:50 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris tries to push past the man in the doorway but he starts to swing it shut, blocking his passage. PC Grey moves up beside him and gives the door a kick, 'Get on the fucking ground, now!' he shouts and the man backs further away into the room, his hands still in the air.

Meanwhile, in the apartment window the man manages to slide it open and hops over the lintel into the street. He looks around for a second and then sprints away down the street, north, along Micklefield Road. As he turns, Jocelyn gets a view of a tattoo on his neck, shaped like a snake. He's several hundred metres away before she has the wherewithal to open the car door and pursue him. As she steps out of the vehicle she sees Simon streak past ahead of her.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Can I get right back in the car and drive after him? The motor is still running.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:15 am
by Philulhu
Kris pulled out his Asp and flicked it out. ”On the floor! Keep your hands on your head!” he ordered.

Do we have another officer here?

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:22 am
by Mephistophilis
There's another AFO outside, but not with Jocelyn and Simon.
Jocelyn absolutely can get back in the car and chase him, that'll be a Drive roll.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:33 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn jumps right back into the car and peels out with expert skill, quickly catching up to the man to cut off his escape.

Drive Auto roll (50% skill) to chase the man:
d%

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:28 am
by Silver Priest
Simon sees the man pulling a runner and starts to chase after him, eager to prevent their quarry's escape. It takes him a moment to realize he probably should have just drove the car after him as that would be faster and safer. Judging by the fellow's build, Simon would have little hope of restraining him if he caught up to him.

But adrenaline makes even the rational commit to irrational acts, and so the bookish psychologist continues to race after the man, intent on at least keeping sight of him until reinforcements arrive.

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:50 pm
by Mephistophilis
Jocelyn screeches to a halt in front of the man she presumes to be Johnny Zero, he skids and bounces off the corner of the bonnet. Scrambling back to his feet he starts off in another direction.

Seeing Kris and Ollie means business, the man in the flat reluctantly gets down onto his knees, his hands behind his head. Stepping further into the apartment, Kris can see evidence of drug paraphernalia beyond. A few bags of a bud-like substance he presumes is cannabis from the potent smell he can pick up.

OOC:   What does Jocelyn do? I presume Simon continues after him.  

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:18 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn drives after the man to cut off his escape. "Wait!" she calls. "We just want to talk to you! It's someone else we're after!"

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:18 am
by Silver Priest
Simon continues to pursue.

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:08 am
by Philulhu
Making sure he didn’t get between Olly and the perp, Kris pulled his handcuffs off his tac belt and quickly cuffed the suspect. ”You’re under arrest for drug possession,” he said. Officer Grey will read you your rights.”

Turning to Olly, he said, ”Can you call it in? We’ll need SOCO to go through this lot. I need to get after the bloke who ran off.” He didn’t wait for an answer but ran out of the flat and out to the main road, trying to call Jocelyn on her phone as he went…

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:28 am
by Mephistophilis
Leaving Ollie to clean up after him, Kris sprints back out of the apartment, passing a surprised looking AFO loitering outside in the car park. He lifts his phone and dials Jocelyn while he runs around the back and catches sight of a man he presumes to be Johnny Zero bouncing off the bonnet of Jocelyn's car while Simon sprints after him and Jocelyn screeches past him again to try and cut him off.

Jocelyn's phone rings in her pocket as she watches Johnny jump and slide over her bonnet Dukes of Hazzard style. He's panting heavily as he runs past a garage forecourt and down a side alley, crashing through an unlocked gate into what looks like the back garden of a house. She's not going to be able to pursue him any further in the car.

Looks to me like we've got ourselves a chase. I'm not 100% sure I understand the 7th Edition chase rules but let's give it a go. 'Johnny' has MOV 8 and DEX 65 so he's pretty fast. Kris has MOV 7 DEX 50, Jocelyn MOV 8 DEX 65, Simon MOV 8 DEX 55. So we act in the order: 'Johnny', Jocelyn, Simon, Kris. Everyone gets 2 MOVE ACTIONS except Kris, who gets one, slow coach. You can use a MOVE ACTION to run closer to Johnny, to attack him if you've caught up, or to buy 1 or 2 bonus die for a HAZARD ROLL.

Initially the positions were:
Johnny...(h)Jocelyn...x...Simon...x...Kris

And here on a map:

So Kris was 5 away from Johnny, while Jocelyn was only 1 away from Johnny. However, Jocelyn has a hazard between her and Johnny - that is the car, if she's not going to try and knock him down with the car (that'd be a DRIVE ROLL) then she'll need to get out the car and chase after him - to do that successfully she needs to pass a DEX roll. For everyone else, I'm going to say the car is blocking the road and also counts as a hazard, they'll also need a DEX roll to get past. If you fail the DEX roll (or any other HAZARD CHECK) then it'll cost you 1d3 MOVE ACTIONS (you can take actions from your next turn) and you might take damage.

If Jocelyn continued to drive the car then each MOVE ACTION she uses can move 1-5 locations. But again, unless she runs Johnny over she'll need to get out the car to apprehend him and pass that DEX roll.

So to start with I'd like everyone to roll CON (even Jocelyn - but she'll only get the benefit/cost if she gets out of the car). If you get an extreme success then +1 to your MOV rating. A failure and it's -1.

So I've rolled CON for Johnny - he fails despite an impressive 75%, so his MOV drops to 7 - and now he only has 1 MOVE ACTION.

He uses his MOVE ACTION to go one further location. So now the relative positions are:
Johnny...x...(h)Jocelyn...x...Simon...x...Kris

And here on a map:

Since he's gone into an alley Jocelyn can't follow in the car so she'll need to get out to chase him any further.

So feel free to tell me what you do with your MOVE ACTIONS if you're chasing Johnny. If you decide to do something else, e.g. going to a different location to try and cut him off, then let me know and I'll tell you how many MOVE ACTIONS it takes and any hazards you face.

CON 75%: 1d100 79

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:46 am
by Philulhu
(70%) 1d100

Kris had never enjoyed sports at school - the furthest he’d ever wanted to run was the distance between the stumps at cricket, but he gritted his teeth and set off at a run in the direction of Jocelyn’s car. He could see Simon ahead of him and he was pretty sure he should be able to outrun him…

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:58 am
by Mephistophilis
So no change to Kris's MOV - which means he gets 1 MOVE ACTION. He using it to get 1 location nearer to Johnny?

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn springs into action quickly. Not wanting to run over Johnny, especially since they need him alive, she leaps out of the car and vaults over it, pursuing him in the hope of catching up to and subduing him.

CON roll (65% stat) to move faster:
d%
DEX roll (65% stat) to get past the hazard:
d%
I asked for nonlethal weapons earlier, before we came out here. What do I have available?

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:58 am
by Mephistophilis
The armed officers will have Tasers, Kris will have a telescopic truncheon and pepper spray. If you roll Luck and pass then you can choose if there is either pepper spray or a truncheon in the vehicle. Pepper spray is fired with the handgun skill. The range is short so you'd need to be at the same location as him.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn has her pepper spray in her hand as she races after and catches up to Johnny.

Luck roll (45% stat) to choose a weapon:
d%
I'll use my two move actions to catch up to him, but I'm guessing I don't get to attack this turn.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:49 am
by Silver Priest

1d100

1d100

As anyone could have predicted, Simon starts to get winded (loafers were not a good choice for a chase, he muses,) but at least Jocelyn seems to be on their target's tail. He dutifully continues to pursue, the slower speed at least allowing him to navigate around the car with ease.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:56 am
by Philulhu
Yes, Kris is trying to catch up with Johnny, unless he can think of a way to cut him off.

Navigate (10%) 1d100

Edit: Nope… :(

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
While Simon struggles down the street trying to catch up, and Kris is just about visible at the end of the road running towards them, Jocelyn flings open the car door and jumps out before it has even come to a complete stop. She vaults over the bonnet and lands running, her loping strides closing the gap with Johnny.

She hurdles the low gate and finds herself in a sort of communal alleyway that runs along the end of three small gardens. At the end of the alley she can see another garden surrounded by a high wall covered in overhanging foliage. Johnny seems frozen in indecision, but then he looks back and sees Jocelyn, her pepper spray in hand, and he leaps up at the wall and tries to haul himself up with the branches and jamming his feet into cracks in the brickwork. His arms and legs are scrabbling frantically and against all odds he manages to get an arm over the top of the wall and pull himself over. He turns and looks Jocelyn straight in the eye, giving her a cocky smile, before leaping off the other side and out of sight.

So Simon failed his CON roll and temporarily drops his MOV to 7. So he only gets one MOVE ACTION per round, like Johnny and Kris.

Johnny moved 1 location last round, Jocelyn 2, Simon 1, and Kris 1. Now Johnny has overcome a barrier (b) with a successful Climb roll and moved one further location away with his MOVE ACTION. Current positions are:

Johnny...(b)Jocelyn...x...(h)...Simon...x...Kris

On the map:

Jocelyn will need to roll a successful Climb to get up the wall. If you fail a roll to bypass a barrier then unlike a hazard you just have to try again next turn, there's no loss of MOVE ACTIONS, and I'll probably not cause damage unless you fumble. Johnny is one MOVE ACTION away from Jocelyn so she will have a spare MOVE ACTION to use to get a reroll on the Climb action or she can save it and use it to pepper spray Johnny when she catches up with him (if she successfully climbs the wall). If you don't want to Climb the wall feel free to suggest another way to get past it.

Simon will need to roll DEX and pass to get past the car if he moves up to it on his next turn, if he fails he will have to sacrifice 1d3 MOVE ACTIONS. Since he only has 1 MOVE ACTION per turn we'll call a fail him tripping over and the lost MOVE ACTIONS are how long it takes him to get back up and running again. Same will apply to Kris when he makes it to the hazard (h).

Climb 40%: 1d100 27

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Are there bolt cutters or a similar tool in the car? My Climb skill isn't so good.

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:14 am
by Mephistophilis
There will be bolt cutters in the police car - roll Luck to see if they're in your car. But you'll have to go back and get them. And I'm not sure how that'll get you over the wall. If Simon or Kris catch up you won't have to roll, they can give you a push up and over but they're a way back.

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:56 am
by Philulhu
(70%) 1d100

Kris continued to run down the street as fast as he could…

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:04 am
by Mephistophilis
I think you only roll CON the once at the beginning of the chase

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn keeps trying to scale the wall, but it's too difficult for her.

I was thinking it was a chain link fence for some reason. Never mind about the bolt cutters.

Climb roll (20% base skill) to scale the wall:
d%
Reroll Climb roll (20% base skill) to scale the wall, spending the second move action:
d%

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:20 am
by Silver Priest
OOC:   I already made a roll for Simon using Dex thinking he could get past the car next turn and passed, can I keep that one?

I guess it will be 2 more rounds before Simon's able to catch up with Jocelyn?  
Simon continues to move down the alleyway towards Jocelyn, who seems to be having some trouble. "Keep trying!" He urges her through ragged breaths.

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:20 am
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Sorry, yeah, keep the roll. It'll take another couple of rounds to get to Jocelyn  

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Give me a boost when you get here!" Jocelyn calls back. "Then call Kris on your mobile and talk to him. I'm a bit busy."

Posted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:16 am
by Silver Priest
Simon continues to move as fast as he can. " Just...give me a minute. I'm winded. Try again, before he gets to far ahead!"

OOC:   Given it's going to be another round or two before Simon catches up, Jocelyn might want to keep trying to climb; maybe she'll get lucky and make it over without needing his help.  

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:05 am
by Philulhu
RE: CON rolls, I’ve not checked but don’t you roll CON for each round? Otherwise everyone just continues to run at the same speed?

Posted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:12 pm
by Mephistophilis
My reading is that there is only one CON check at the beginning of the chase, but no more - you'd get some big divergence in MOV ratings if you kept checking: "This roll adjusts each participant’s MOV rating for the duration of this chase."

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:05 am
by Philulhu
OK, happy to go with that.

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:20 pm
by Mephistophilis
Jocelyn desperately attempts to scrabble up the wall behind Johnny, but she keeps slipping and can't seem to get any kind of foothold against the brickwork. She can't see over the wall and has no idea what is beyond it or where Johnny might have gone once he jumped down the other side.

Meanwhile, Simon has skidded past the stationary car and started down the alley, and with a sudden burst of speed Kris is not far behind him.

So after that, Johnny is over the wall and you guys don't know what he's doing with his MOVE ACTION. Jocelyn has 2 MOVE ACTIONS but has to get past the barrier (b) of the wall, maybe with a Climb roll (and she can take a bonus die per MOVE ACTION she spends to help, to a maximum of 2 re-rolls). Simon has got past the hazard (h) of the car, Kris will need to pass DEX when he gets there, a fail and he loses 1d3 MOVE ACTIONS. I'm going to bump Kris up one Location to get him into the chase a bit more, I think I started him too far away.

So current locations are: (Johnny)...(b)Jocelyn...x...Simon(h)...Kris

Posted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:56 pm
by Mr. Handy

I get two rerolls? I thought I only got one, as I thought I had to spend a move action just to make the initial roll. Does that mean I have an additional roll from last round?

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:07 am
by Philulhu
How far is Kris from the car?

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:10 am
by Mephistophilis
Oddly, in a chase, you don't have to use a MOVE ACTION to overcome a barrier or a hazard. So if you've got a re-roll left let's say you carried it over from last round. So you get 3 re-rolls (but then if you succeed on the last one you don't get to move location until next turn).

After using his next MOVE ACTION Kris will arrive at the car. He needs to roll DEX to run round it quickly or lose 1d3 ACTIONS in the chase. Unless you had other plans for it?

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:14 am
by Philulhu
(50%)
1d100

In a move Starsky & Hutch would have been proud of (although Jocelyn probably less so), Kris ran up to the car, slid over the bonnet and dropped to his feet on the other side before continuing to run to catch up with Simon and Jocelyn

It would have been move amusing had he failed… :roll:

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn scrabbles at the wall, but she still can't make any progress.

Second reroll of Climb roll (20% base skill) to scale the wall from the previous round, spending the second move action:
d%
Climb roll (20% base skill) to scale the wall:
d%
First reroll of Climb roll (20% base skill) to scale the wall, spending the first move action:
d%
Second reroll of Climb roll (20% base skill) to scale the wall, spending the second move action:
d%

Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:09 am
by Silver Priest
"He's getting away!" Simon points out unhelpfully. "You have to get up there!" He keeps running down the alleyway.

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:57 pm
by Mephistophilis
Johnny has got a significant lead over Jocelyn and she is making no progress up the slippery brick wall until Simon skids in behind her. He rather reluctantly puts out his hands to give her a boost and visibly winces as she places her dirty shoe into his palms. He struggles to lift her but she's able to get an arm over the top of the brickwork and haul herself onto the top of the wall. Looking over to the other side she can't see any sign of Johnny. It's a long narrow back garden, slightly overgrown, patchy lawn bordered by unkempt flower beds. To the right side there's a brick wall that leads to some kind of concrete yard, beyond it she can see the carpark at the rear of the apartment block where one of the AFOs is patrolling. On the left of the garden there's a wooden fence adjoining another long garden with a vegetable patch and greenhouse.

After his impressive slide across Jocelyn's car bonnet, Kris makes a final burst of speed and arrives at the wall in time to see Simon push Jocelyn to the top.

I like to think of Kris's belt leaving a massive scratch across Jocelyn's car.

So Johnny got plenty of time to get away or hide, I'll end the chase now. Jocelyn gets to make an action on the other side of the wall and Simon and Kris can then figure out how to get over themselves.

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:23 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn lowers herself beyond the wall and quickly runs down the alleyway on the other side to where the brick wall is, reasoning that Johnny may have thought that his best chance to escape and that he couldn't have gotten past the AFO, who she signals to join her, and that the others will catch up with her in time if he's still hiding in the alley. However, if he has kept moving, time is of the essence to catch up to him. She will look into the garden beyond the fence as she moves, but she'll try to climb the brick wall for now in case he's still in view on the other side.

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:46 am
by Silver Priest
OOC:   Excellent rp of Simon-- he's going to need a wipe or two after this.  

Wiping his brow, he turns towards Kris. "You better go on ahead, you have more experience capturing perpetrators than myself. I might be able to give you a boost." He does not seem enthused with this prospect.

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:26 pm
by Philulhu
Kris nodded, not trusting himself to speak without wheezing like an asthmatic pensioner. Stepping on Simon’s hands, he pushed himself up onto the wall, lifting himself up and taking a moment to scan the area in front of him in case Zero had taken cover, letting his pursuers push on and leaving him behind… …

I’m envisioning Kris sliding across the bonnet in slow-mo, leaving a trail a sparks in his wake… …

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:00 am
by Mephistophilis
From the top of the wall Jocelyn signals to the AFO who she can see in the car park behind the apartments. They nod and indicate that they're going to bring the car around.

I'm not sure I've described the situation too well. Here's a map/diagram:

Simon and Kris are behind the wall. On the other side is Jocelyn, in a garden with a fence on one side (left as she faces to the right of the image - fence in white) and a wall on the other side (right as she faces to the house on the right of the image - in brown). The apartment block they found Johnny in is to the bottom left of the image, and that's where the AFO is. At the far end of the garden Jocelyn is in there is a house (right of image) which then looks onto a main road (far right of image). Over the wall (brown) to her right is a concrete yard that runs from the garage to the left of the image (just above the apartments) along a wall (brown) that separates it from the gardens everyone just ran through, past the wall Jocelyn climbed over (it sort of doglegs past it), and ending up behind what looks like another set of apartments. This second set of apartments (middle of the image) lead onto a cul-de-sac that does not seem to be directly connected to the carpark of the first set of apartments, where the AFOs are parked up.

So Kris can climb over - roll Spot Hidden to see if Johnny is hiding. Jocelyn can roll Spot Hidden to look over the fence into the adjoining garden. Do I take it that Jocelyn is going to try and climb the wall on her right, into the yard behind the apartments (in the middle of the picture)?

The AFO will drive round to the first alleyway they ran down unless Jocelyn signals anything different.

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:49 am
by Philulhu
(40%) 1d100

Edit: Success! Kris should spot him, if he’s there.

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:40 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn easily spots something from her higher vantage point and prepares to signal the others, including the AFO.

Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) looking over the wall and the fence:
d%

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:18 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris stands atop the wall, looking down into the garden. He can see Jocelyn clearly enough, she's peaking over a wooden fence, but he can't see Johnny hiding in any of the usual locations, in the bushes or beside the house. What he does notice is that the top of the fence is damaged, there's splintering of the wood, and it looks recent, the raw wood hasn't had time to darken or discolour.

Looking over the fence, Jocelyn can see several indentations in a vegetable patch, probably footprints, and then more muddy marks on the fence beyond.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:14 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn points out the damage on the top of the fence and the muddy footprints to the others as she scrambles to intercept Johnny, reasoning that he has climbed the other fence too. Instead of climbing both fences, she can circle around to the other side of the second fence on ground level if it'll save time and there's a way to do it.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:32 am
by Philulhu
Reckoning that Jocelyn was trying to cut Johnny off, Kris decided to go over the fence in case he tried to double back. He grabbed the top of the fence but, without Simon’s assistance, he lacked the upper body strength to pull himself over.

Kris isn’t particularly adept at climbing (20%), so this may prove to be an error…

1d100

Edit: And so it proved! 😕

I’ve edited my post to reflect Kris’ lack of success.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Give him a boost!" Jocelyn tells Simon as she runs.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:36 am
by Silver Priest
Having no idea where Johnny has got off to, Simon tries to help Kris if able.
OOC:   Sorry but I'm a little confused where Simon is relative to Kris at the moment, but if able to assist him or get into a position where I can I will.  

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:28 pm
by Philulhu
Simon helped Kris climb the previous wall, so I think he’s standing on the other side?

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:12 pm
by Mephistophilis
The AFO brings the car round to park up near Jocelyn's abandoned vehicle. He jogs down the alley to where Simon is standing, peering up at the rather high wall that he's helped Kris climb. 'You want a boost?' he asks, eyeing Simon's outfit sceptically.

Jocelyn can't see a way around to get to the far garden, the one she's in is completely surrounded by brick walls, the wooden fence, and the house itself. She uses an upturned plant pot to help herself get over the fence and lands in the larger nextdoor garden. This one does have an unsecured side passage leading out past the house into the road, but she's seen the marks on the fence and she sprints over to some kind of raised wooden vegetable box and uses that to vault into the garden beyond. There's a shed and some kind of lean to against the main house. One of the upstairs curtains twitches and she sees the edge of a face. It looks like an old woman.

Seeing Jocelyn, Kris tries the fence again and this time manages to just about haul himself over. Thankful that nobody else is watching. He comes down into a muddy vegetable patch and his feet sink into the fresh soil, which tips over the top of his shoes.

Here's the map:

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn waves for the others to follow her as she tries to climb the next fence with the marks.

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:23 pm
by Silver Priest
Simon considers then shakes his head. "There are quite a few fences in my way, and I'm not the best climber," He admits. "If you are any better I'll be happy to give you a boost and try to find another way around."

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:52 pm
by Philulhu
Feeling his feet sink into the earth gave Kris an idea, and he immediately started looking around for footprints that might indicate that Johnny Zero had come this way.

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:43 am
by Mephistophilis
Kris sees the footprints Jocelyn noticed in the vegetable patch leading to another set of muddy scuff marks on the fence beyond. He reasons that's probably why she climbed over.

The AFO rather reluctantly places his weapon on the ground and allows Simon to give him a boost up onto the wall. He reaches down to retrieve his MP5 and catches Simon rubbing his hands on the wall in distaste. Looking around the AFO shouts down, 'You wanna a hand up?' he asks, obviously expecting a negative answer. 'Or you could take the car up to the next opening, he points further up the road, maybe cut him off if he hasn't go too far?' He throws down the keys to the Armed Response Vehicle. Simon is pretty sure he's not supposed to be doing this.

Can I get DEX rolls for anyone jumping over a fence. If Simon climbs the wall he doesn't need one as the AFO will help to pull him up.

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:03 am
by Philulhu
Kris sprinted over to the other fence and jumped, hoping his momentum would carry him up and over the top…

(50)1d100

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Follow me!" Jocelyn hisses to Kris and the AFO as she leaps up on the fence. She almost gets caught on it, but she manages to get over the top.

DEX roll (65% stat) climbing the fence:
d%
Spending 1 Luck to make that a success!

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:48 am
by Silver Priest
Thinking a fourth person would not be of much help investigating the same area, Simon snatches up the keys. "I'll take the car and see if I can spot him. If I do, I'll lay on the horn." "Good hunting," He adds.

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:00 am
by Philulhu
Kris watched Jocelyn clear the next fence with an inward sigh. Another fence! He took a run up and tried to scramble over the top, but found his shoes scrabbling ineffectively on the timber. ”Give me a hand, will you?” he said to the AFO, already winded by his efforts at catching up.

(50) 1d100

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:19 am
by Mephistophilis
The AFO walks along the wall and skillfully lowers himself into the muddy vegetable garden behind Kris. He trots up to the next fence and hauls himself over. There's some barely suppressed sniggering as he watches Kris hanging off the next one, with his shoes scraping ineffectually at the slippery wood. After what seems like an inappropriately long delay he runs up behind Kris, giving him a big shove that propels him over the fence and tumbling into the next garden a few metres from Jocelyn.

This next garden is fairly small with a large trampoline at one end. There's no side access past the terraced house and there's another fence into the next garden. Neither Kris nor Jocelyn can see any sign of Johnny in the bushes or hiding amongst the boxes, toys, and general debris of what looks like a young family's backyard.

Meanwhile, Simon gets a bit of a thrill driving the marked armed response vehicle a few metres up the road. He drives past an unusual quad-shaped set of bungalows, maybe a little retirement village, then finds himself staring at the frontage of a large semi-detached property. He can't see any obvious way through the semi but thinks he might see a way through, past the bungalows.

I suggest everyone gives a Spot Hidden to look for Johnny. Here's the situation:

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:48 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn sees something out of the corner of her eye.

Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) looking for signs of Johnny:
d%
Again?! :o Looks like I'm spending another 1 Luck.

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:48 am
by Silver Priest
Simon slowly drives down the street, trying and failing to resist the urge to make a siren noise with his mouth. he scans his surroundings, doing his best to find Johnny Zero; he knows he may be their only chance to break up Balfour's little schemes for good. He'll try and continue past the bungalows at a slow speed.

1d100

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:44 am
by Philulhu
(40%) 1d100

Kris took a deep breath, straightened his jacket and put the AFO’s sniggering out of his mind. He carefully scanned the area in front of him, spotting a clue as to where Johnny was hiding…

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:44 am
by Mr. Handy

I guess I don't need to spend that point of Luck after all. 8-)

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:50 pm
by Mephistophilis
Simon can't see anyone that could be Johnny but there's definitely a few curtains twitching and faces appearing in windows as the armed response vehicle slowly rolls down the street.

Out of the corner of her eye Jocelyn thinks she sees some movement in the adjoining garden and heads over to the fence to peer over and take a look.

Meanwhile, Kris scans the garden they're in, trying to figure out if there's anywhere Johnny could be hiding. From the far side of the fence he hears, 'You gonna give me a hand getting over of what?' It's the AFO, and Kris gets a little thrill of schadenfreude that he seems to be struggling to get over. Leaving it just long enough for the AFO to know who is in control, he turns back to help him over. But as he does so he spots something. It's hard to put into words what he sees. There's a shadow, a shape, at the far side of the trampoline. Could it be a figure?

No need to spend the Luck since Kris succeded

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:16 am
by Philulhu
Kris nudged the AFO and held a finger to his lips. Pointing to the shadow next to the trampoline, he silently extended his baton and waited for the AFO to indicate he was ready before he said, ”Armed Police! Get down on the floor!”

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:46 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn stealthily approaches the source of the movement, her pepper spray in her hand.

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:34 am
by Silver Priest
Ignorant to everything else, Simon continues to slowly drive down the street, eyes scanning for any sign of Johnny.

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:43 pm
by Mephistophilis
After shouting at the trampoline Kris doesn't get any kind of reply or see any movement. The AFO looks at him questioningly, relaxing the grip on his weapon and letting it swing free from the sling, 'Jumping at shadows detective?'

Roll Stealth

Roll Listen

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:41 pm
by Silver Priest

1d100

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:46 am
by Mr. Handy

A twig snaps under Jocelyn's foot.

Stealth roll (60% skill) to sneak closer:
d%

Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:23 am
by Philulhu
Kris glanced at the AFO. ”Stay alert until we find him!” he said, then resumed his scan of the area.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:40 pm
by Mephistophilis
As Kris and the AFO continue to stare at the shadowy shape behind the trampoline, Jocelyn edges around the outside and tries to get a bit closer with her pepper spray at the ready. As she begins to make out the shape that is drawing their interest her foot presses down on a dry piece of branch which breaks with a loud crack.

Within a fraction of a second the shadow has unfurled itself to reveal the shape of a squat, muscled man with tattoos on his neck, Johnny Zero. Quick as a whippet he streaks out from behind the trampoline and moves to shove Jocelyn out of his way.

So Johnny is going to get a surprise attack on Jocelyn, she can Dodge or Fight Back. Pepper Spray is Fighting (Brawl). Johnny has succeeded so Jocelyn will need either a regular success on a Dodge or a hard success on a Fighting (Brawl). Then we'll move into initiative order - AFO, Jocelyn, Johnny, Kris, then Simon as he's going to have to run to join them.

From somewhere behind the bungalows Simon distinctly hears 'Armed Police! Get down on the floor!' It sounds an awful lot like Kris's voice.

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:33 am
by Mr. Handy

If I succeed at a Dodge roll, does that mean I'll keep him from getting past me?

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:38 am
by Mephistophilis
No, but you'll not get knocked down, so you'll get to act unhindered before him next round

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:04 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn cries out as she gets bowled over.

Dodge roll (50% skill) to avoid getting knocked down:
d%

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:37 am
by Silver Priest
Hearing Kris' voice-- and reasoning what the cause for the shout must have been-- Simon parks the vehicle as close to the bungalows as he can before he gets out, grabbing the keys before he starts to run towards the sound of the officer's voice.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:23 pm
by Mephistophilis
Johnny barrels past Jocelyn, shoving her over in the process, and keeps running past her towards the house. The AFO sees that Johnny isn't armed and reaches for his taser, 'Stop, armed police, I will fire.' But Johnny just keeps on running, not even turning his head. Rather than firing (he couldn't hit him at this range anyway), the AFO seems momentarily frozen in surprise.

Meanwhile, Simon rushes past the bungalows beside the road and arrives at the front of another set that run perpendicular. He looks around for some way to get beyond them into the gardens he presumes are behind but he can't see any way through, they're terraced and there are no side-gates or alleyways. In desperation he runs up towards the left where the row of bungalows ends and he finds a paved area with some seating and a barbecue. There's a wire fence leading into what looks like some waste land that lies between another wire fence that runs behind the bungalows on one side (it turns out they have tiny courtyard gardens) and a tall brick wall on the other side. From beyond the wall he hears another voice, not Kris this time, someone else, they're shouting 'Armed police.'

So Jocelyn can act next but she's going to take a penalty dice for being knocked down and having to get back to her feet.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:53 am
by Silver Priest
Simon looks around anxiously, looking for any way to get closer to the others and over the wall. He assumes it's probably too high to climb, at least for him. But maybe there was a shortcut or something he could take to intersect with the others?

Sorry, my visualization skills are frustratingly poor, so I'm having a little trouble picturing the entire scene in my head despite the detailed description. Simon's main goal right now would be to try and find an intersection around past the wall to reunite with the others, ideally coming from a different direction so he can cut Johnny off if he's running. Can I make a roll of some sort to try and navigate or at least make an educated guess as to which way to go to have a chance at catching up?

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:12 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn scrambles back to her feet and continues to pursue Johnny.

Do I still get to attack this round, albeit with a penalty die, or is catching up to him my entire action?

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:28 pm
by Philulhu
”Stop gawping and get after him!” Kris shouted at the AFO as he broke into a run after Johnny Zero.

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:31 pm
by Mephistophilis
Jocelyn can attack him - just taking a penalty die for being knocked over - think of it as Johnny having succeeded in an attack manoeuvre to impose a penalty.

Johnny got a bonus action. The AFO was pretty useless, so the order of acting is Jocelyn, Johnny, Kris, then Simon.

Simon can tell exactly where the shouting is coming from, but he'd have to climb over a wire fence (no test needed), then a brick wall (successful Climb needed). If you don't fancy your chances climbing the wall I'll let you roll Navigate or Track to find another way round, or Spot Hidden but that won't work as well.

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn catches up to Johnny and tries to spray him in the face with her pepper spray, but he's just too fast.

Fighting(Brawl) roll (60% skill) trying to pepper spray Johnny:
d%
Penalty die:
1d10*10

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:51 am
by Silver Priest
Acting on pure adrenaline-- and more than that, a desire to finally learn what was really going on-- Simon rushes forward, climbing over the wire fence before attempting to clear the brick wall as well. He's so driven to catch Zero that he takes off as fast as a rabbit.

Climb 20%,

1d100

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:47 pm
by Philulhu
Cursing the AFO, Kris took off after Johnny Zero with his Asp ready to try to effect an arrest…

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:08 pm
by Mephistophilis
Jocelyn sprints after Johnny and sends a stream of pepper spray that spatters ineffectually down his back. He glimpses back over his shoulder and smirks. Within a few bounds he's at the back of the house and he aims a hefty kick at the wooden door which splinters and flies open. He takes off inside and there's a shout from within the property.

Kris isn't far behind as he rushes past Jocelyn, baton in hand, and enters through the shattered doorway to see an elderly woman lying on the floor of a cluttered living room, writhing and in clear pain. Johnny is struggling with the series of locks and bolts that secure the front door.

Defying his own expectations, Simon finds an easy foothold in the crumbling brick wall and easily hauls himself to the top. He barely notices the tearing and scuffing of his clothes as he slips over the top and lands surprisingly elegantly behind the trampoline. He quickly takes in the scene, the AFO standing impotently with his taser pointed at the ground, Jocelyn staring after Kris, who is diving through the back door of the house.

Seeing Simon land seems to finally spur the AFO into action and he jogs into the house, he clocks the woman on the ground but raises his taser to point at Johnny, 'Stop, armed police.' Johnny doesn't react to the warning until the two prongs fly into his back followed by a high voltage electrical charge. His spinal muscles spasm but he just reaches behind to sweep away the fine wires with a cry of pain, and returns to opening the door.

So this time round Simon will be able to either do some action, or catch up to where Kris and Johnny are - but not both. Next round he can act normally. The AFO has acted, next it is Jocelyn. Then Johnny (he's shrugged off the Taser stun), then Kris, then Simon.

STR 70%: 1d100 64 Firearms (Handgun) 50%: 1d100 34[/b ]Damage from Taser: 1d3 3 POW 55%: 1d100 34

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:27 pm
by Silver Priest
Simon looks down at his clothes and frowns heavily, but the scream from inside brings him back to the present. He takes off into the house, hoping to catch up with the others.

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn sprays Johnny in the face, this time more accurately.

Fighting(Brawl) roll (60% skill) trying to pepper spray Johnny:
d%

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:12 am
by Philulhu
Can’t believe that Simon didn’t land on the trampoline then did a forward somersault into action… ;)

I’ll post my update once Johnny’s inhaled the pepper spray.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:30 pm
by Mephistophilis
Jocelyn crashes into the house and shouts to Johnny who turns his head slightly just as she unleashes a stream of irritant pepper spray into his face. He claws at his eyes and coughs and splutters, eventually falling to the ground tearing off his t-shirt to remove the source of the fumes.

So no damage but he's currently unable to act - a good chance to nobble him

Dodge 32%: 1d100 54 1/5th DEX (13%): 1d100 100

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:51 pm
by Philulhu
Johnny Zero - you’re under arrest!” snapped Kris as he pulled out his handcuffs and slapped them on the blinded perp.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:21 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn helps restrain Johnny, ready to remind Kris to read him his rights once he's under control if he forgets in the heat of the moment.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:26 am
by Silver Priest
Dusting off his outfit, Simon looks down at the perp. "Good work, team. he proved most wily, but I'm glad we caught this one."He glances over at the elderly woman thrashing about. "Someone should probably help her as well." He notes, not making an effort to do so himself-- heaven knows his outfit had gotten dirty enough during the chase!

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:26 am
by Philulhu
With a knee in the middle of his back, Kris read Johnny his rights. Johnny Zero - you’re under arrest. You do not have to say anything. But, it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence.”

Kris had used that line so much, he knew it off by heart.

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:17 pm
by Mephistophilis
After thrashing about for a minute or so Johnny Zero eventually goes limp, resigned to his fate. 'I ain't telling you nuffink' he spits, then goes silent.

Well done. You caught him in the end. Is there anything else you guys want to do here? Search the house? Or reconvene at the station?

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

I'll want to help the old woman, make sure she's all right, and take her statement. A complete search of the house probably isn't necessary, as Johnny only just broke into it, but we'll want to take a look around to make sure he didn't drop or stash something so that he wasn't caught with it. Then we should go to the station.

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:46 pm
by Philulhu
”We found the gun you stashed, Johnny,” said Kris as he pulled him to his feet and started patting him down.

“That’ll be enough for the judge to send you down for a long time, especially since you’ve got previous. You might want to be a bit more cooperative, otherwise you won’t be seeing daylight for a long time.”

Posted: Sun May 01, 2022 4:59 am
by Silver Priest
Simon lets the other do their work, feeling satisfaction at them bringing Zero in.

Posted: Sun May 08, 2022 6:16 pm
by Mephistophilis
The AFO calls a patrol car and Johnny Zero and his friend James Williams are taken in to the station. Jocelyn helps up the old lady and takes her statement. She doesn't really have anything to add, she was surprised when Johnny broke in and fell to the floor as he pushed past. Fortunately she keeps her front door locked, for security.

They take a look around the old lady's house for any signs that Johnny has stowed anything, weapons or drugs, but there’s nothing to see. They also check the garden where he was hiding behind the trampoline, but there’s nothing there either.

Going back to the cars and looking over Williams’s apartment there a significant quantity of cannabis and drug dealing paraphernalia. There’s also a few unidentified pills in a plastic bag, a bit more than would be expected just for personal use but certainly nothing on the scale of the cannabis.

We're moving here.