IC - 24 - They Think It's All Over

6.30pm Thursday 11th March 2010, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.

A five-year old girl, Regina Balfour, is kidnapped in broad daylight from the Eden Shopping Centre, while her mother’s back is momentarily turned. Left behind is her ladybird shaped backpack, which contained supplies for her insulin pump. She needs her medication to live more than a few days, and her condition will rapidly deteriorate without it...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: IC - 24 - They Think It's All Over

Post by Mephistophilis »

While Simon struggles down the street trying to catch up, and Kris is just about visible at the end of the road running towards them, Jocelyn flings open the car door and jumps out before it has even come to a complete stop. She vaults over the bonnet and lands running, her loping strides closing the gap with Johnny.

She hurdles the low gate and finds herself in a sort of communal alleyway that runs along the end of three small gardens. At the end of the alley she can see another garden surrounded by a high wall covered in overhanging foliage. Johnny seems frozen in indecision, but then he looks back and sees Jocelyn, her pepper spray in hand, and he leaps up at the wall and tries to haul himself up with the branches and jamming his feet into cracks in the brickwork. His arms and legs are scrabbling frantically and against all odds he manages to get an arm over the top of the wall and pull himself over. He turns and looks Jocelyn straight in the eye, giving her a cocky smile, before leaping off the other side and out of sight.

So Simon failed his CON roll and temporarily drops his MOV to 7. So he only gets one MOVE ACTION per round, like Johnny and Kris.

Johnny moved 1 location last round, Jocelyn 2, Simon 1, and Kris 1. Now Johnny has overcome a barrier (b) with a successful Climb roll and moved one further location away with his MOVE ACTION. Current positions are:

Johnny...(b)Jocelyn...x...(h)...Simon...x...Kris

On the map:

Jocelyn will need to roll a successful Climb to get up the wall. If you fail a roll to bypass a barrier then unlike a hazard you just have to try again next turn, there's no loss of MOVE ACTIONS, and I'll probably not cause damage unless you fumble. Johnny is one MOVE ACTION away from Jocelyn so she will have a spare MOVE ACTION to use to get a reroll on the Climb action or she can save it and use it to pepper spray Johnny when she catches up with him (if she successfully climbs the wall). If you don't want to Climb the wall feel free to suggest another way to get past it.

Simon will need to roll DEX and pass to get past the car if he moves up to it on his next turn, if he fails he will have to sacrifice 1d3 MOVE ACTIONS. Since he only has 1 MOVE ACTION per turn we'll call a fail him tripping over and the lost MOVE ACTIONS are how long it takes him to get back up and running again. Same will apply to Kris when he makes it to the hazard (h).

Climb 40%: 1d100 27
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Are there bolt cutters or a similar tool in the car? My Climb skill isn't so good.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

There will be bolt cutters in the police car - roll Luck to see if they're in your car. But you'll have to go back and get them. And I'm not sure how that'll get you over the wall. If Simon or Kris catch up you won't have to roll, they can give you a push up and over but they're a way back.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

(70%) 1d100

Kris continued to run down the street as fast as he could…
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

I think you only roll CON the once at the beginning of the chase
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jocelyn keeps trying to scale the wall, but it's too difficult for her.

I was thinking it was a chain link fence for some reason. Never mind about the bolt cutters.

Climb roll (20% base skill) to scale the wall:
d%
Reroll Climb roll (20% base skill) to scale the wall, spending the second move action:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   I already made a roll for Simon using Dex thinking he could get past the car next turn and passed, can I keep that one?

I guess it will be 2 more rounds before Simon's able to catch up with Jocelyn?  
Simon continues to move down the alleyway towards Jocelyn, who seems to be having some trouble. "Keep trying!" He urges her through ragged breaths.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC:   Sorry, yeah, keep the roll. It'll take another couple of rounds to get to Jocelyn  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Give me a boost when you get here!" Jocelyn calls back. "Then call Kris on your mobile and talk to him. I'm a bit busy."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Simon continues to move as fast as he can. " Just...give me a minute. I'm winded. Try again, before he gets to far ahead!"

OOC:   Given it's going to be another round or two before Simon catches up, Jocelyn might want to keep trying to climb; maybe she'll get lucky and make it over without needing his help.  
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

RE: CON rolls, I’ve not checked but don’t you roll CON for each round? Otherwise everyone just continues to run at the same speed?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

My reading is that there is only one CON check at the beginning of the chase, but no more - you'd get some big divergence in MOV ratings if you kept checking: "This roll adjusts each participant’s MOV rating for the duration of this chase."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OK, happy to go with that.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Jocelyn desperately attempts to scrabble up the wall behind Johnny, but she keeps slipping and can't seem to get any kind of foothold against the brickwork. She can't see over the wall and has no idea what is beyond it or where Johnny might have gone once he jumped down the other side.

Meanwhile, Simon has skidded past the stationary car and started down the alley, and with a sudden burst of speed Kris is not far behind him.

So after that, Johnny is over the wall and you guys don't know what he's doing with his MOVE ACTION. Jocelyn has 2 MOVE ACTIONS but has to get past the barrier (b) of the wall, maybe with a Climb roll (and she can take a bonus die per MOVE ACTION she spends to help, to a maximum of 2 re-rolls). Simon has got past the hazard (h) of the car, Kris will need to pass DEX when he gets there, a fail and he loses 1d3 MOVE ACTIONS. I'm going to bump Kris up one Location to get him into the chase a bit more, I think I started him too far away.

So current locations are: (Johnny)...(b)Jocelyn...x...Simon(h)...Kris
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

I get two rerolls? I thought I only got one, as I thought I had to spend a move action just to make the initial roll. Does that mean I have an additional roll from last round?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

How far is Kris from the car?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Oddly, in a chase, you don't have to use a MOVE ACTION to overcome a barrier or a hazard. So if you've got a re-roll left let's say you carried it over from last round. So you get 3 re-rolls (but then if you succeed on the last one you don't get to move location until next turn).

After using his next MOVE ACTION Kris will arrive at the car. He needs to roll DEX to run round it quickly or lose 1d3 ACTIONS in the chase. Unless you had other plans for it?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

(50%)
1d100

In a move Starsky & Hutch would have been proud of (although Jocelyn probably less so), Kris ran up to the car, slid over the bonnet and dropped to his feet on the other side before continuing to run to catch up with Simon and Jocelyn

It would have been move amusing had he failed… :roll:
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jocelyn scrabbles at the wall, but she still can't make any progress.

Second reroll of Climb roll (20% base skill) to scale the wall from the previous round, spending the second move action:
d%
Climb roll (20% base skill) to scale the wall:
d%
First reroll of Climb roll (20% base skill) to scale the wall, spending the first move action:
d%
Second reroll of Climb roll (20% base skill) to scale the wall, spending the second move action:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"He's getting away!" Simon points out unhelpfully. "You have to get up there!" He keeps running down the alleyway.

Return to “Ladybird, Ladybird, Fly Away Home”