Page 1 of 1

IC - 18 - Siege - Everyone

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:11 pm
by Mephistophilis
6.50pm Saturday 13th March 2010, Royal Oxford Hotel, Oxford

Nearly forty nine hours since Regina Balfour was abducted.

PC Babcock leads Kris back to the top of the second floor landing while PC Wisniewski takes DS Bates, Simon, and Jocelyn up the stairs. The two authorised firearms officers (AFOs) stand apart from the others, taking up a defensive position facing down the corridor where there is still a haze of dust hanging in the air. Towards the end of the corridor a significant chunk of the ceiling is missing and the navy carpet is covered with white plaster. Another armed officer stands off to one side, his semi-automatic MP5 covering one of the hotel room doors.

'Get this on now' says Bates, handing Kris a bulky bulletproof vest. 'We can talk about your upcoming disciplinary later. Get us up to speed ASAP.'

Looking down the corridor to where Kris came from they can see that there are several insects crawling on the walls and the carpet, not as many as outside the hotel but still a significant number. The insects look up and fixate the group at the top of the stairs, freezing in position and meeting their gaze with little compound eyes.
Kris,The way these insects are behaving is unsettling, test Sanity 0/1 loss

Re: IC - 18 - Siege - Everyone

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:25 am
by Philulhu
”Disciplinary?” said Kris, pulling on the vest. ”What for? I didn’t come here looking for her, Lucy! I got sent to Oxford - it wasn’t my choice to come here...”

He tailed off, his eyes trained on the insects down the hall. “Umm, does anyone think that’s just a bit odd?”
SAN, 1/68 - extreme success! https://www.dholeshouse.org/Tools/DiceVerifier?RID=c12e88d6-7919-4375-bf7e-b8111f08875e

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"There's even more of them outside," says Jocelyn. "How did that happen?" She points up at the hole in the ceiling.

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:07 am
by Philulhu
”Shotgun,” replied Kris distractedly, still looking at the insects.

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm glad that's all she hit," says Jocelyn. "Must have been a warning shot. She's won a prize for her accuracy. If she'd meant to hit someone, she would have."

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:55 am
by Silver Priest
"How is her mental state?" Simon asks. "Did she say anything of interest?"

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:42 am
by Philulhu
”Fragile,” said Kris. “She’s convinced that Balfour is trying to bring about the end of the world - she mentioned the Passover Angel - and that Regina is key to stopping him. As long as Regina is out of his hands - and I’m pretty sure she’s in there - then his plans can’t proceed.”

He looked at the flies again and turned to Lucy. “For that reason, I think we need to keep Balfour as far away from her as possible. I know you don’t believe any of this, but I’m starting to think Lindsay might be onto something.”

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:36 pm
by Silver Priest
"Jocelyn and I saw the Passover Angel," Simon admits nonchalantly. "Of course it was some kind of projection or carefully constructed trick, but those less analytical than myself could very well believe it was the real thing and a harbinger of the end times. Even I felt sheer terror for a brief moment. "

He turns to Bates. "Obviously Reginia is in grave danger and we need to recover her from Lindsay. But given Balfour attacked and nearly killed me and threatened an officer of the law, is there any way you can delay his reunion with the daughter for a time, at least until we confirm whether or not he poses some sort of threat?"

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:19 pm
by Philulhu
”You saw the Passover Angel?” repeated Kris slowly. He glanced at Jocelyn, wondering if Simon was for real or if this was linked to him being in hospital...

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"I saw it too," says Jocelyn. "It looked real at the time, but it had to be some sort of hologram. Still, we might make more headway in talking to Lindsay if we say we'll keep an open mind about what she believes."

Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:04 am
by Philulhu
”She sounded like she believed in it,” replied Kris. “Though if you’re going to talk to her, watch out for that shotgun!”

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"We will," says Jocelyn. "We've brought a pair of radios, so we can give her one. We also have Regina's medicine on the way. That can keep her alive, and giving it to Lindsay Peale to give to her can help to earn her trust. If we're lucky, we can also use the opportunity to get someone inside the room for a look round."

Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:37 am
by Philulhu
”You’re proposing to send someone into the room with a disturbed woman who has a shotgun?” said Kris. “I think you’ll just be sending someone in to be a hostage.”

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:43 am
by Mr. Handy

"It is very risky, and I wouldn't ask someone else to do it," says Jocelyn. "I was thinking of going in myself. Talking to her face to face might be advantageous. However, it's probably a moot point. I wouldn't expect her to trust anyone enough to let them in the room."

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:09 am
by Silver Priest
"Though perhaps if that person has seen this Passover Angel..." Simon muses. "If we can describe it to her and earn her trust, she may be willing to humour us. I suspect she's seen it as well and lacked the ability to process the experience except through a superstitious lens which has needless to say left her rattled. As a psychologist I would be willing to go myself, though Jocelyn would likely be better with talking to her one on one." .

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:37 pm
by Philulhu
”I don’t know,” replied Kris. ”She didn’t sound like she was in the mood for talking about the Passover Angel.”

Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:28 pm
by Mephistophilis
Bates is quiet for a while, then she answers, 'I don't think this is enough to keep Regina from Balfour, not yet. But before we can worry about that we need to get her back from Lindsay in one piece.'

She looks at Kris, 'How is she? How urgent is the medication?' Her phone rings and she takes the call, 'Ambulance is here.'

Then she turns back to Jocelyn, 'I'm told this is your department, hostage negotiation, how do we play this?'
Simon,Simon is feeling a bit less on edge, his thoughts are a little clearer. If he wants to conceal his insanity temporarily he can do so with a successful hard Power roll

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:01 am
by Silver Priest
Simon fidgets and adjusts his glasses as the others converse. It's clear he's still not entirely quite right.
POW normal success, https://orokos.com/roll/885974

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:34 am
by Philulhu
”She’s got insulin. That’s what lead me here,” said Kris, and he quickly explained how he’d stumbled across Lindsay when he’d been assigned to investigate the break-in at the vets practice down the road.

“She said needed to keep Regina away from her parents until Tuesday. They’re planning something - she talked about the Passover Angel - and it can’t happen without her.”

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"The first thing we need to do is establish a line of communication," says Jocelyn. "We need to deliver one of the radios to her. We need to keep her talking. One of the best things you can do in a hostage situation is listen to the hostage taker. You can learn a lot of important information that way. We do have the advantage that she doesn't really want to hurt Regina. All her past actions indicate that she believes she is trying to protect her. She will keep that girl alive. One possible strategy we can use is to wait her out. She's alone with Regina, and she can't stay awake forever. If she already has insulin, Regina's health should not be in danger. And once her deadline of Tuesday passes, she may be more inclined to surrender and release Regina."

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:04 am
by Philulhu
”She might be,” replied Kris, “But I shouldn’t imagine Balfour will want to.”

Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:38 pm
by Mr. Handy

"True," says Jocelyn, "but the decision isn't his. It's ours."

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:08 am
by Silver Priest
"Though you can bet Julie Thomas and others in the media will be putting a lot of pressure on the police to get results," Simon points out. "I'm not sure we can drag this standoff out for three more days either." He frowns. "On the other hand, Balfour has acted violently to all three of us; that may not be enough to keep him away from Reginia indefinitely but might permit some delay."

"I think this goes better for us if we can convince Lindsay to surrender peacefully and tell us whatever evidence she has of his ill intent, no matter how outlandish it seems."

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:34 am
by Philulhu
”I don’t think she’s going to give up,” said Kris. ”As far as Lindsay’s concerned, this is the only way to keep Regina out of her father’s hands and to prevent the end of the world. She won’t give her up without a fight!”

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:00 pm
by Mr. Handy

"A fight's the last thing we want," says Jocelyn. "We don't have evidence to prove Lindsay's accusations against Balfour, but we do have him on assault. If we really need to sideline him, we can use that as leverage. Hopefully we won't actually need to arrest him, but the mere fact that we have that capability may stop him from interfering."

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:49 pm
by Mephistophilis
'First thing's first, let's talk to her' says DS Bates. She holds up a heavy duty radio handset, probably an encrypted radio, 'PC Grey, give her the radio.'

The AFO covering the hotel room door nods back towards Bates, he steps forward, knocks on the door and then backs away down the corridor.

On the floor by the door they can see what could be a matching radio handset. The door opens a tiny crack and then wider, something shiny pokes out the door, the barrel of a shotgun. The radio disappears inside the room and the door slams shut.

'Okay, what do we say?'

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We start by introducing ourselves to her," says Jocelyn. "We also use her name when we speak to her, let her know we know who she is. We should use first names for ourselves and for her after the introduction, try to establish a personal rapport. We start by asking her what she wants. Once we know that, then we can begin to negotiate."

Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:43 pm
by Philulhu
”Do you want me to go first?” asked Kris. “I’ve already spoken to her so it may break the ice.”

Kris was hoping that he’d get back in Lucy’s good books again by being of use to the investigation.

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
Bates looks to Jocelyn, 'Happy for Kris to introduce us if you think that's a good idea?' She pauses for a moment and gives a thin smile, 'Although he did manage to get shot at, so maybe the rapport isn't perfect.'

'After introductions my priority is confirmation Regina is safe. Once I get that we have some time to play with.'

Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:54 pm
by Philulhu
”I don’t think it was personal,” said Kris sourly. “It’s not like I’d met her before!’

Taking the radio, he pressed the button to speak. Lindsay? This is Kris, the policeman who was at your door a few moments ago. I’ve got a couple of colleagues here who would like to speak to you if they can. Their names are Lucy and Jocelyn. OK?” He released the button and waited for an answer.

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Don't forget Simon," says Jocelyn.

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:55 am
by Silver Priest
Simon looks a bit affronted, but Jocelyn's mention of him quickly mollifies him. He's ready to get to work. At least, he feels ready; his mental state may still seem a bit questionable.

Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:26 am
by Philulhu
Kris keyed the radio button again. “And Simon,” he said. “I’d forgotten to mention him.” He smiled apologetically at the psychologist.

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:47 pm
by Mephistophilis
The radio whines and then hisses into life, 'Hugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, and Grubb' cackles Lindsay.

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:11 pm
by Philulhu
Kris handed the radio to Jocelyn. ”Over to you, ‘Hugh’,” he said dryly.

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:59 am
by Mr. Handy

"At least I'm not Barney McGrew," says Jocelyn, taking the radio. She presses the button to talk. "Miss Peale? May I call you Lindsay? My name is Jocelyn Leigh. Can you please have Regina speak? I'd like to make sure she's all right."

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:09 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Why? Why should I put her on for you?' asks Lindsay.

With the radio silent, Bates whispers to the others, 'Because if you don't we'll smash the door down and shoot you.'

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:17 pm
by Mr. Handy

"To prove that she's alive and well," says Jocelyn. "You've fired a shotgun at the police. The only thing stopping them from storming the place is that they're concerned for her safety. If you don't allow Regina to speak to us so that we know she's all right, they're going to conclude that she isn't. I don't want that, and I don't think you do either."

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:30 pm
by Mephistophilis
There is a long silence. 'I've given her something to settle her down. She's pretty sedated.'

'Regina, Regina, say hello to the police lady...'

There is a prolonged pause.

'Uh, hello? I miss my mummy and daddy...'

'...there, she's alive.'

Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:43 pm
by Philulhu
Kris was simultaneously relieved that Regina was alive as well as pleased that any forced entry would be off the agenda for now, hopefully thwarting whatever Balfour had in mind.

Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Lindsay," says Jocelyn. "Hello, Regina. You're a very brave girl, and I need you to keep on being brave. We're going to do our best to get you safely out of there. Lindsay, do you have enough food and drinks in there for both of you? Do you need any medical supplies?"

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:08 pm
by Mephistophilis
'We've got some food and drink - can't say it's healthy though. I'm not sure about the medication. Regina ran out of insulin so I used some I found...somewhere else. She helped me put it in her pump. She seems okay but maybe we could use her normal insulin.'

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:49 pm
by Philulhu
”That’s how I found her,” said Kris quietly. “She broke into a local vets to steal insulin.”

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn nods. "We recovered her original insulin," she replies. "It's on its way here right now."

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:39 pm
by Mephistophilis
Bates makes a call. 'Doctor's not here yet but we have the insulin, I'll get it brought up.'

Lindsay's voice comes back over the radio, 'You can bring the insulin, but don't send it with the police, I want someone I won't have to shoot.'

A uniformed officer comes up the stairs and hands Bates a glass vial with some needles and syringes.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:28 pm
by Philulhu
Simon?” said Kris. “I’d volunteer but she knows I’m with the Force...”

Kris is trying to be sincere, but it’s difficult to tell if he’s relieved to be able to suggest that someone else approach the door of the desperate shotgun-toting child abductor...

Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"I could do it too," says Jocelyn. "Neither one of us is technically police, but she would probably recognise my voice from the radio. I wonder if we could conceal a listening device and a camera on the backpack so that we could get eyes and ears inside the room."

Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:07 am
by Silver Priest
"Talking down emotionally unstable individuals is technically my field," Simon says with some haughtiness. It's clear the man thinks he's the best person for the job. "But if you wish to do it by all means, Jocelyn. I of course would be more than willing to offer you advise before you go, however-- situations such as these can be quite fraught."

Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:33 pm
by Mr. Handy

"If you're prepared to take the risk, I have no objection," says Jocelyn. "You may have a better chance of getting through to her than I would."

Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:12 am
by Silver Priest
"Well, if you insist." Simon says. "What will prove helpful here is that I have seen the same visions, for lack of a better word that she may have, and was attacked by Balfour-- I still have the marks to prove it. The fact she's been willing to cooperate with us so far is a positive sign. Her actions suggests she desperately wants a way out of this predicament she finds herself in."

He addresses the radio. "Lindsay? My name is Simon. I'm a Psychologist professor at Middlesex. May I bring you the medicine little Regina requires? I'm hoping to have a chat with you to discuss a positive outcome for all of us involved. I've been leading an investigation into Mr. Balfour and have discovered enough disturbing information to suggest that he is a danger to others, and you can help me with that."

Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:06 pm
by Mephistophilis
There's another long silence before Lindsay answers. 'Just you. Alone.'

Bates looks very uncomfortable, 'Your call Officer Leigh. No time for listening devices. It'd just be Simon.' She hands the medication to him and then places a radio in his pocket. 'Any sign of trouble you press this, and we'll come running.'

Slowly approaching the door to Lindsay's room, Simon gets a closer look at the damage caused by her shotgun blast. The floor littered with fragments of plaster and a great chunk missing out of the ceiling. The door frame itself splintered. Simon looks a little closer...
Simon,Roll Spot Hidden

Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm wary too," says Jocelyn, "but if Simon is willing, I think we have to take the chance. He's the one she asked for, and I have confidence in his abilities. He's already made a start of building a rapport with her, and this will help enhance it."

Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:04 am
by Silver Priest
"Your trust is appreciated," Simon responds, genuinely grateful. "And it can't go worse than what happened with Balfour. Well, unless she shoots me." From the slight widening of his eyes he appeared to have just considered that possibility, but he nonetheless heads off.

Heading to the door, he clears his throat and makes his presence known. "It's Simon, Lindsay. I have the insulin."
Spot Hidden failed, https://orokos.com/roll/888804

Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:05 am
by Philulhu
”Fingers crossed!” said Kris quietly, as Simon approached the door. He caught a look from DS Bates. “That he doesn’t get shot, obviously!” he said with a sigh.

Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:05 pm
by Mephistophilis
Simon steps back slightly from the door and it opens a crack. He can clearly see the double barrels of a shotgun pointing out but the room behind is dark and he cannot make out whoever is holding it. A woman's voice comes out of the darkness.

'Hands up, turn around.'

Simon follows her instructions.

The door opens further and he catches sight of the room's occupant, she looks tired and disheveled, but it is unmistakably Lindsay Peale.

She continues to train the shotgun on him, looks up and down the corridor, and then backs into the room. 'Come in. Slowly. Keep your hands where I can see them.'

Inside the room is lit by a desk lamp and the glow of the television screen, which is playing cartoons. There is a double bed on the left side of the room with a chair beside it, a door ajar on the far side with light coming through the gap. There are also curtains on the far wall which have been drawn, presumably covering a window. Simon sees the wooden dresser has been pulled out from the wall and moved in front of the main door, although it has been pulled back to allow him in, there's also a round desk lying on its side nearby.

Lying on the bed, with a blank expression on her face, sort of watching the TV but not clearly taking it in, is a young girl, she looks like Regina Balfour.

Lindsay circles around Simon, the gun still trained on him, her finger on the trigger, and she closes the door and locks it, fastening the chain.

'Show me what you're carrying, empty it on the floor.'

Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:59 am
by Silver Priest
Despite the situation, Simon smiles, trying his best to present a comforting image. There's also the self serving part of him that imagines that this is going to do wonders for his career-- provided Lindsay doesn't shoot him, anyway.

"Of course." He does exactly what Lindsay wants him to, before he lowers his voice to a whisper. "I'm here to help you, Lindsay. Do you see the marks on my neck? The work of Mr. Balfour from earlier today. He also threatened the other two you have spoken with. He's unraveling, and it is being noticed.I've started to investigate his church and affiliations with a foreign terrorist operation known as Red Trumpet and have found disturbing information; and I believe you have your own evidence to add. Together we can bring an end to whatever he is planning."

He glances over at Regina, humane enough to be relieved that the girl seems stable.

Posted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:58 pm
by Philulhu
Outside Kris listened carefully. ”No gunfire,” he said. “That’s a good sign...”

Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 2:50 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn nods, also listening intently.

Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
Lindsay nods at the medication, 'I'd like you to make it up for Regina.'

With one hand on the shotgun, Lindsay disconnects some kind of tubing snaking out of Regina's top with the other hand. She removes a transparent plastic reservoir from the bulky blue plastic pump clipped to Regina's waistband and hands it to Simon.
OOC,Since Simon doesn't have any relevant skill let's say if he wants to fill the reservoir it'll be a DEX roll
Taking a closer look at Lindsay, she is drawn, haggard, like she hasn't slept for several days. One of her eyelids twitches uncontrollably. The room itself is musty with a definite lingering smell of body odour.

'What do you know about Balfour, what do you think you know?.'

-----

Once the hotel room door closes Bates sends the three armed officers to cover the doorway. 'Well I'm going to take a closer look, are you two coming?' she asks Jocelyn and Kris.

Posted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:59 pm
by Philulhu
”She’s on edge,” counselled Kris as the armed officers moved into position. “If we crowd her, she might snap. I think we should give her a bit of space.”

Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a good point," says Jocelyn, "although if you do decide to go forward, I'll go with you."

Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 4:50 am
by Silver Priest
"I'm not that kind of doctor, but I'll do my best." says Simon, as he attempts to give Reginia her medicine. It seems to go pretty well. "Here you are, sweetie."
Hard success on Dex, https://orokos.com/roll/889814
Choosing to ignore Lindsay's state for the moment, he tries to answer her question. "Well, that he's dangerous for one. I've read his Book of the Passover Angel. He had a code within it that once decoded made it quite apparent that he believes and seeks the deaths of all faithless first born. He's also affiliated with an organization in Kenya on government blacklists and that the locals are terrified of and is one of their biggest sources of funds. We also have reason to suspect he poisoned George Lewiston; everyone who investigated his home came down with a nasty rash, and his cat was also in rather dire straits, suggesting a biological attack of some sort."

Here's where it got serious. He takes a deep breath. "My impression of Mr. Balfour is he is rather unstable and planning some sort of attack. He all but admits it in his book. I believe he is attempting to lead others into thinking the end times are afoot for some reason. My colleague and I were caught in a sudden hail storm earlier today, and we both saw the Passover Angel. Some sort of projection designed to unnerve us, but it confirms that Balfour is not just some harmless cult leader but a man with access to rather significant resources.

"Immediately after we saw the image Balfour offered us both a ride. When I mentioned the holographic Angel and Red Trumpet he went ballistic and tried to strangle me! Then he started to speak in tongues and hail began to fall once again. I think he was communicating with his coconspirators somehow, because the hail was directed around his vehicle. He came to his senses at the last moment and appeared genuinely remorseful, but it's clear he's not well. I firmly believe him to be a danger to the country.

"This is why I need your help, Lindsay. You probably understand more than me. Balfour has attacked me and threatened two officers of the law; he's already on thin ice and is being looked into. If you can give us some sort of evidence or lead to go on, I believe we can keep Reginia away from him long enough to launch a full investigation and get to the bottom of whatever he and his cohorts are planning. But we need you, I need you, to cooperate. If this turns into a standoff where the police have to use force to get Reginia back, that will be the story, and Balfour's misdeeds will be papered over long enough I fear for him to carry out whatever he intends. But if you come with us and tell us exactly what you and your uncle were trying to do and why you did it, we have a chance of stopping all of this and protecting Reginia."

OOC:   Sorry for the long post, this one was tough for me, bearing in mind Simon's still insane.  

Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:14 pm
by Mephistophilis
Looking dubious, Bates says 'Okay, let's give them a bit of space. But the AFOs stay in position. We need to move quickly if she gets too jumpy.'

-----

Simon smoothly fills the reservoir with insulin and hands it back to Lindsay who reconnects it to Regina's pump.

Listening to Simon's speech her eyes widen, then narrow. 'You're so close, but you've missed the point entirely. Just like calling Regina 'Reginia'. He means to harm the first born, but he's not a terrorist, he's a fucking demon worshiper...I can still see it. In my dreams. Out of the corner of my eye. In the darkness...'

She lets out a low wail and bangs the barrel of the shotgun against her temple. In her half-asleep sedated state Regina rolls over and joins in the disconcerting sound.

OOC,Simon is going to need to calm Lindsay down. Probably a Psychoanalysis roll. And then he'll need to Pursuade her to tell him what she knows - I'll give you a bonus die for that Persuade because Simon has made it clear he knows a lot about Balfour and thinks there is some kind of conspiracy

-----

From inside the hotel room Kris and Jocelyn hear a low wailing sound. Bates raises her eyebrows.

Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe we should sneak closer now," whispers Jocelyn.

Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:16 am
by Silver Priest
"Lindsay, please!" Simon begins, recognizing the situation is tense. "I'm on your side! I've had the same sort of dreams," He offers, careful not to scoff at her view of what she had seen. It was sadly apparent to him that she was delusional, but he could hardly blame her-- the things he had seen had nearly defied explanation, and it was only his analytical mindset that prevented him from giving in to such superstition. Most people sadly did not possess such a mentality. "We can still stop Balfour. One of the detectives working the case, the one who found you I believe, overhead Mrs. Balfour saying that they would need to make other plans. We don't know exactly what that means, but it suggests they're going to be active soon, so we need to figure things out quickly. With your uncle's unfortunate demise you are the only one who can help us, Lindsay. We need you to cooperate; it may be the only way we can stop whatever they are planning."

Psychoanalysis 52%,

For some reason I can't roll in this forum, so I'll use Orokos until I can figure out how to add it to a post.

First roll was an 84. https://orokos.com/roll/890553
I'd like to push. If I can,second was a 26. https://orokos.com/roll/890554

Persuade 30,

Got a 17, phew. https://orokos.com/roll/890555

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:37 am
by Mr. Handy
The dice roller has to be activated on each board where it's used. That was the case before the upgrade, though every time I created a forum for a game, I activated it as part of that process. All of those settings were lost during that process, so it looks like it needs to be done again.

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 4:56 pm
by Philulhu
”I’m willing if you are,” replied Kris quietly. “We might be able to hear what’s being said.”

OOC, Apologies for the delay. Have issues logging into the site.

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:04 pm
by Mephistophilis
Bates, Kris, and Jocelyn creep up to the hotel room door, covered by the three armed officers. They can hear conversation going on inside the room.

What's that?' whispers DS Bates, gesturing to something on the doorframe. A few insects crawl across the door but looking closely where Bates is pointing they can see strange, tiny symbols faintly carved into the woodwork.

Roll Listen and Spot Hidden, and Occult if you've got it.

-----

Lindsay seems to calm down a little, her breathing slows and she sits down on the bed resting her hand on Regina's back. The little girl has fallen asleep.

She looks intently at Simon making eye contact for a little too long, her eyes wide. 'Look, I know this doesn't make sense. But John Balfour is not what he seems, his church is not what it seems...'

She lets out a long sigh. 'They look like some millennial cult, but they're much more than that. Not terrorists. They've found something, tapped into something...' She shudders.

'My uncle, George Lewiston, he found out about the Church of the Passover Angel. He realised they believed in some fucked up shit. The Balfours we're going to sacrifice their firstborn child, Regina, to this Passover Angel, believed it would bring about the Apocalypse, the Second Coming of Christ and all their followers would be rewarded for their faith. They didn't even really think Regina would be hurt, some crap about the 'Binding of Isaac' I don't really understand. But Uncle George doubted the Angel's ability to resurrect people. I dunno, maybe he shouldn't have.'

Simon knows that the Jewish interpretation of the story of Abraham's sacrifice of Isaac is that neither God nor Abraham believed he would ever really need to sacrifice Isaac as he had faith, while Hebrews 11:17 indicates the early Christians' view that God would have resurrected Isaac. This implies the Balfours might have thought that this is what would happen to Regina

'That was the first time, I used my job, I'm a social worker with the council in Buckinghamshire, I used my job to get Regina taken into care on George's say so. Nearly lost my job too. But I trusted Uncle George. And he was right. He played me some of the recordings he'd made of the church and their services. They really believed that shit. Anyway, I kept her in care right through their special day and nothing happened. I thought it had all blown over, that I could go back to my life. Then a few weeks ago Uncle George contacted me again. We'd got a bit distant over the last few years, I dunno, maybe the stress of it all. It was the same scenario all over again. I told him, I told him there was no way I could pull the same stunt again, I'd lose my job for sure and I'd never get it past the judge this time.'

Her voice drops to a lower pitch, 'He looked like shit, like he hadn't slept in weeks. Said he'd gone undercover, got right inside the church, and he'd seen something, recorded something...something horrible...'

Lindsay is trembling, her hands shake and the end of the shotgun barrel waves ominously in Simon's direction.

'I have to keep Regina out of Balfour's hands until Wednesday. Then I'll let her go. But if I have to, if I have to I'll put an end to her and anyone else who gets in my way. It's bigger than just Regina now, understand?'

I think it'll need at least another Pursuade. You can push it but remember this is a high stakes situation

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn keeps her eyes and ears open, but she doesn't notice anything.

Listen roll (55% skill) outside the door:
d%
Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) outside the door:
d%
Occult roll (20% skill) about the symbols:
d%

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:06 pm
by Philulhu
OOC, Dice rolls as follows:

Listen (35%) - 1d100
Occult (10%) - 1d100
Spot Hidden (40%) - 1d100

Edit: So failures in Listen & Occult but a success in Spot Hidden.

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:11 pm
by Mephistophilis
Looking closely at the marks etched into the wood, Kris can make out brush marks and a reddish colour, he thinks it might be blood. The glyphs run in a continuous pattern all around the doorframe except for where the wood has been obliterated by the shotgun blast. He has no idea what they represent.

Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:42 pm
by Philulhu
”Have you seen this?” he whispered, pointing out the faint carvings in the frame.”What do you think this is? Some sort of...” He shrugged. “Some sort of ward to keep Balfour at bay?”

Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's possible," whispers Jocelyn with a shrug, "but I've never seen the like."

Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:35 am
by Silver Priest
"You did what you had to do, Lindsay." Simon responds in a hopefully soothing manner. "I don't blame you or your uncle-- though I wish he hadn't shot the greeter or himself. But you alerted us to Balfour, and your actions since have been out of concern for Regina. I promise you I will do everything in my power to ensure these circumstances are taken into account."

He listens to her carefully.

occult 75,

1d100

"It makes sense from a religious perspective." He explains, going into a lecturing role despite himself. "Jewish interpretation is that Abraham knew that he'd not have to sacrifice Isaac. Early Christian belief thought that God would raise Issac from the dead-- this may be the assumption the Balfours are operating under; they do not believe their actions will really harm their child. And from what I have seen, they genuinely do seem upset and concerned for her welfare. Most concerning, faith can make people do irrational things.

"This happened before, you say
?" He frowns. "Then I'm afraid the only way to truly stop this will be exposing the Balfours. If there's a second time they feel they can sacrifice her, there will be a third time. Anything we do here is just delaying that."

He notices the gun then, and raises his hands in a placating matter.

"But you're a good person, Lindsay; your entire life has been in protecting children. I know you don't want to hurt her. And I don't believe it would stop them either. They're already operating off a highly unorthodox view of Exodus, and they seem very committed in bringing about God's judgement. I fear they'd just sacrifice another child, perhaps one of their supplicants. The only way for you to stop this madness is to turn yourself in and tell us everything you know. As I've said we've seen Balfour's angel, and I'm sure we're not the only two, it was on a crowded highway. That will give us credibility. And you say your uncle has recordings? If you have anything that we can use against the Balfour's that show what they're planning now is the time to give it to us."

Persuade 30,

1d100

When I rolled and copied it to the post I had gotten a 22 on the dice. If I can't use that, please let me know and I'll spend the luck needed to make this a success. I have a feeling this is an important one.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:06 pm
by Mephistophilis
It looks to Simon like Lindsay's whole posture is starting to relax more. The shotgun is by her side on the bed.

Quietly she says 'Uncle George, he managed to record a ritual, in the church, he called it a "blood ritual". One where they, they, well, they summoned something, the "Passover Angel". He showed it to me, it was...horrific. The Angel spoke, it's voice...it looked right at the camera, at Uncle George, like it knew exactly what he was doing there. It said “There is nothing that you can do, little man. Nor you, little woman,” it felt like it was talking to me, like it could see me, through the video. Well my uncle ran and they just let him go, like they knew there was nothing he could do.

'I, well I still didn't want to have anything to do with all this fucked up shit, bit since then, since watching the video...oh God, I keep seeing...seeing something. Dark, hooded, with black wings, it's always there, at the edge of my vision, watching me. And, and I keep finding things, Bibles, open to the same page, Exodus 11-12, I keep finding them in weird places, there was one on my pillow, the Gideon Bible, just sitting there. When I sleep I don't sleep, I see things, dreams, nightmares, like ancient Egypt, and Biblical plagues. I don't sleep anymore, I just take stuff to stay awake. Uncle George said never let it go dark, I didn't know what he meant until I turned out all the lights to help Regina get some rest, just for a second, and I saw something, something huge, outside the window, huge and winged, and long, like a snake, and heading straight for me. There's something out there and it wants us. It wants to find us and it wants to eat us.'

OOC:   I believe you, no need to spend the Luck  

Outside the door none of them are able to make out what is being said inside the room. 'Seems to have gone quiet' says DS Bates.

As if on cue PC Grey advances towards the door, 'Permission to breach?' he hisses, 'While she is distracted by the professor we can take her down.'

Posted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:45 pm
by Philulhu
”You cannot be serious!” whispered Kris forcefully. “Who do you think you are, the bloody SAS?!”

He shook his head. “You don’t know who’s where in the room. These rooms have narrow entrances and Simon could well be between you and her. It’s madness to even try!”

Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 2:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"Agreed," whispers Jocelyn. "The quiet is a good sign."

Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:53 am
by Silver Priest
OOC:   Much thanks, I appreciate it!  
Seeing Lindsay is starting to trust him comes as a great relief to Simon. But this doesn't last long as she describes what she's seen.

"Jocelyn described the same thing with the bible and passage happening to her," He mutters, mostly to himself. It doesn't make any sense. How did the church get in both their rooms? Or was it some sort of hypnotic induction, compelling those subjected to it to perform the behavior and not realize it? It was the only thing that made any sort of sense. The only other option was there was some sort of supernatural element at play, but That.Was.Absurd.

It couldn't be real.He just had to remember that. Otherwise he risked giving into panic, and that would help no one.

Taking a deep breath, he nods. "Thank you for that information, Lindsay. Do you still have this tape? I believe showing it to the authorities would help us expose Balfour-- the others may think it's computer generated trickery, but Jocelyn and I have seen it ourselves, and that will make it much harder to dismiss. Even if others do not believe fully in your story, it should serve to showcase that Balfour and his church are planning something nefarious.I don't think even Balfour fully understands the Angel. When he learned we saw it he grew furious and refused to believe it.

"In any event, I can see the toll this has taken on you. I need you to trust me, Lindsay. Let Regina go as a sign of good faith and turn yourself in. Show the tape to the authorities-- it's the best evidence we have-- and tell them everything you and your uncle know about Balfour. We've already learned a lot, but your support can go a long way. From what we've gathered both you and your uncle had stellar records before this business, as did Jocelyn, Kris, and myself. I worked on the Thorndike case of last year, so the police trust my expertise, and I don't think you're the true villain in this. And it's not as easy to dismiss us all as seeing smoke where there is no fire."

"Please let me help you, Lindsay. I'll make sure you're not in the dark or alone until we resolve all of this. I promise."
He motions to the shotgun, asking her to give it to him.

Posted: Fri May 21, 2021 8:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Stand down Ollie!' hisses Bates. He backs away from the door muttering under his breath.

DS Bates's phone rings and she runs up the corridor to answer it. After about thirty seconds she rejoins the others outside the door, a serious look on her face. She whispers 'DI Malone will be here soon to take personal command of negotiations.'

Lindsay snatches up the shotgun, 'No. I need a guarantee. I need a guarantee that you can keep Regina away from her parents. Look Professor, I know you're not the one in charge here. I need guarantees, serious commitments from someone who has the power to make them happen. I think you understand the stakes here. Maybe you can persuade them.' She lifts the shotgun and points it back at Simon. 'Until then...' Her voice trails off and she gestures back to the door behind him.

Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:19 am
by Silver Priest
"I'll see what I can do. I will state my psychiatric opinion that Reginia is at imminent risk of harm from her family and she must be kept away long enough for an investigation to take place. If you can produce this video along with any other evidence you possess of the Balfour's activities, I think it will be enough to derail their plan. I appreciate your trust, Lindsay." He gets to his feet, slowly, and walks out the door.

Simon slowly emerges from the door, his arms up. He tries to close it after him, not wanting one of the officers to take a shot and risk jeopardizing anyone's safety-- including his own.

"We've made some progress. I gave Reginia her medicine. She seems in good health, and is sedate at present. Ms. Peale is quite agitated but retained her basic faculties and I do not believe she will make any sudden moves to jeopardize the child unilaterally. She maintains that the Balfour's intend to sacrifice their child to bring about what they think will be the end of the world in a few days, and that she and Lewiston acted to stop this. She claims to have recordings and video from inside the church services showcasing their extremism and the risk they pose.

"She's willing to let Reginia go and turn herself in. But she asked for a guarantee that Reginia not be returned to her family in the near future. It is my firm belief that we should agree to this demand, at least until whatever evidence she possesses has time to be examined and investigated. I'll grant that I could be seen as biased due to Mr. Balfour attacking me, but everything I've observed as to his behavior, temperament, and affiliations leads me to believe that there is a significant chance that he poses an imminent threat. I believe my colleagues would support me on this. " He gestures to Kris and Jocelyn
hopeful that they would. This could pose a risk to all of their careers after all. Simon dearly hopes Lindsay can produce something to justify this stand he's taking, or he may very soon find himself out of a job.

Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:48 am
by Mr. Handy

"Well done, Simon!" says Jocelyn. "Yes, I agree with you. I witnessed the assault myself, and we can always charge him for it if we need time to get the evidence. Hopefully we can wrap this up before DI Malone gets here."

Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:33 am
by Philulhu
Kris glanced as DS Bates. ”I know you think I’ve got something against Balfour, Lucy,” he said calmly, “but this is what I was trying to tell you. He’s involved in something dangerous and Regina’s at the centre of it. If we return her then he’ll be able to proceed with his plans. We need to keep her away from him.”

Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:08 pm
by Mephistophilis
DS Bates looks sceptical. 'I'm not sure. Are we trying to keep Regina away from both parents or just John Balfour? And for how long?' She seems to be thinking. 'Okay, so we've got the assault on Simon, that'll keep Balfour tied up for twenty four hours. But we'll need something more than that to keep Regina away from them for good. Remember, Lindsay already tried this before, the Balfours will be ready for this, they're probably already in contact with their lawyers. I don't know. I don't think the DI is going to go for it. What evidence do we really have?'

Can everyone roll me a Law check. If you want to convince Bates you'll need a successful social roll (Persuade etc)

While Bates is talking PC Grey seems to be becoming increasingly agitated and he starts gesticulating at the hotel room door. When the others turn round and look they see that there is an increasing number of insects starting to swarm across the door itself and around the door frame. Where the shotgun blast has ripped a chunk out of the frame some of the insects are starting to squeeze in through the gap. They can hear a muffled scream from inside the room.

Law 55%: 1d100 92

Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:42 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We need to keep him away from her until at least Wednesday," says Jocelyn. "If the assault charge isn't enough to hold him long enough, perhaps we could have him evaluated psychologically. He did lose control of himself during the assault, and I don't think he was in his right mind. We can probably hold him longer for that, maybe even have him committed." She glances at Simon, who is not only an expert on the matter but was also nearly on the receiving end. "Otherwise, we'll have to find more evidence in the time we do have. We've managed to arrange for Regina's rescue. I'd hate to have her father do something terrible to her after that. I don't have enough information to know if her mother is a danger to her or not."

Law roll (25% skill) about how to keep Regina away from Balfour:
d%
Persuade roll (60% skill) to convince DS Bates:
d%

Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:09 pm
by Silver Priest
"I would think both parents are a danger as could be anyone involved within the church," Simon responds. "I find it very difficult to believe Mrs. Balfour has no idea what her husband is planning if he truly is planning to sacrifice her-- he's a zealot and would view the action as perfectly logical within the tenets of his faith. The only ones he would need to hide it from are nonbelievers outside his church.

"Jocelyn is correct that Balfour seems set on Wednesday as the day the end times start, so we should at the very least aim for Regina to be separated from them until that date even if we cannot push it past that. However, Lindsay suggests this is the second time he's attempted this, the first being when she intervened before, so she could still be in great danger after this. I'm hopeful Lindsay can deliver the evidence she claims to have and that will be enough to at least conduct a full scale investigation. As it stands, we know the church believes and actively celebrates the deaths of all first born due to the hidden message within Balfour's bible, which at least suggests circumstantial evidence to Regina being at risk."

1d100 Law 15

1d100 Persuade 30

Then Simon notices the insect swarm and more importantly,hears the scream. He rushes back inside. realizing only too late that he possesses no weapon.

Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:34 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It's Tuesday when he thinks the end will come," says Jocelyn, following Simon, "so we need to protect her until Wednesday."

Posted: Mon May 24, 2021 7:13 pm
by Philulhu
”What the hell...?!” muttered Kris, staring at the insects spilling from the hole in the door frame. “Get out of the way!” he snapped to PC Grey and he pushed his way into the room...

Law (50%) 1d100
Persuade (55%) 1d100

Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:43 pm
by Mephistophilis
DS Bates nods, 'Okay, we'll try and keep Regina from her parents using our emergency powers. But it'll come up in front of a judge before Wednesday so we need enough evidence to convince them to keep her out of their hands. Prosecuting Balfour or arranging for a psychiatric evaluation will help with that but we really need the evidence Lindsay says she has incriminating the whole church, including Regina's mother.'

-----

Bates doesn't initially notice PC Grey's gesticulations but when Simon and Kris push past Grey and Jocelyn to try to open the door all hell breaks loose.

The door is locked and Simon instinctively tries to force it open without succcess. Bates holds out a passkey, 'What's going on?'

Ollie Grey aims his MP5 at the door and the two other AFOs begin to advance on the door with their weapons raised. 'Stand clear, stand clear' shouts Ollie.

The insects continue to swarm across the door, more are appearing from either end of the corridor, crawling along the walls and ceiling and many flying through the air, making a buzzing, humming noise interspersed with little thuds as their bodies crash into the walls and into those standing in the corridor. More little bodies are squeezing into the room and the screaming continues.

Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn takes the passkey and hurries to the door with it.

Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:13 am
by Silver Priest
"I can't get it opened!" Simon says, moving away and holding onto his shoulder. If the passcard doesn't work he urges the men to fire. Risky as it may be, Regina and Lindsay seemed in danger, and he suspected they needed to get in the room now.

Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:09 pm
by Philulhu
Not wanting to risk gunfire that might hit Lindsay or Regina, Kris aimed a kick at the door, hoping that the damage to the frame from the earlier shotgun blast had weakened it and it would burst open...

Strength check (35%) 1d100

Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:34 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Everyone entering the room roll Luck  

Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:57 pm
by Philulhu
41% 1d100

Edit: Nope, that’s a fail.

Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:33 pm
by Silver Priest
luck 47,

1d100 Drat. Can't push a luck roll, right?

Posted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
No pushing Luck or spending Luck on Luck! We'll see what Jocelyn decides to do then we'll enter the room.

Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn follows the others into the room.

Luck roll (42% stat) entering the room:
d%

Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 10:38 pm
by Mephistophilis
Swiping the passcard Jocelyn turns the handle and pushes open the door. After only a few inches it stops, banging against something solid. Kris kicks the door and it flies open, the furniture blocking it tumbling over into the centre of the floor.

Jocelyn, Kris and Simon rush through the door into the room. Alongside them a number of insects flutter in joining several more that are flying around and settling on the light of the television screen and the desk lamp.

Regina lies on the bed and sitting on the floor beside her is Lindsay, a look of terror on her face and pointing a shotgun straight at them.

There is a deafening explosion as Lindsay fires in the direction of the doorway. All three instinctively recoil and dive out of the way of the door as they are peppered with plaster fragments. Miraculously no one feels like they have been hit.

Firearm (Rifle/Shotgun) 80% plus penalty die: 1d100+1d10 06 and 9 is 96 Lucky lucky people

Ears ringing and the air filled with dust they notice more and more insects swarm into the room, covering all sources of light with a thick layer of writhing bodies. The bulb of the desk lamp makes a loud pop and goes out.

There's a rush of air and the door slams shut behind them. Within seconds the room is plunged into complete darkness.

Lindsay screams, and keeps on screaming. There is a massive crash from above them, with their ears ringing they feel it more than hear it. Lindsay's scream gets even louder and is joined by that of a frightened child.

Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 3:28 am
by Silver Priest
Simon feels his side frantically,and is relived to not feel any signs of wetness.

Seeing the room go into pitch blackness he struggles for his phone. "Everyone get your phones out!" He yells. Recalling Lindsay's warning about the dark, he attempts to turn his on and tries to make the screen as bright as possible.

Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Don't shoot, Lindsay, we're here to help!" says Jocelyn, stepping sideways in case Lindsay fires again. She takes out her mobile phone and turns on its flashlight. "This must be the plague of darkness, the ninth of the ten plagues. I think we all know what comes next."

Posted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:52 am
by Philulhu
Kris pushed his way across the room, his hand over his face to try to keep the insects from getting into his mouth and nose.

”We need light!” he yelled, as he pulled out his phone and tried to activate the flashlight. “Lindsay - can you shoot out the window?!”

Posted: Sat May 29, 2021 11:17 pm
by Mephistophilis
In the glare of the mobile phone light Lindsay seems terrified, she stares up at the ceiling, waving her shotgun erratically.

Insects flap back and forth across the room, settling heavily on the phone screens and the little light there is rapidly dims.

Above them there is the sound of smashing and cracking followed by a rush of cool air. And then a rasping, scratching noise.

Lindsay and Regina continue screaming.

Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn quickly takes hold of Regina and tries to take her out of the room, back into the hall.

Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:01 am
by Silver Priest
Simon rushes for the door, trying to force it open. He's hopeful Lindsay shooting it means it's damaged enough he'll be able to break it down even with the bugs on it.

Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:48 am
by Philulhu
Face-to-face with Lindsay, Kris grabbed the barrel of the shotgun with one hand and the frightened woman with the other. He pulled her close to him as he directed the gun towards the window.

Trying desperately to ignore the swarming insects crawling everywhere and the feral stench of fear from Lindsay, he leaned into her and yelled, ”Shoot the window!”

Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:14 pm
by Mephistophilis
Can Kris and Jocelyn roll Luck and can everyone roll me a 1d100 after that - then we'll see what happens - I have tried quite hard to keep everyone alive!

Posted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:31 pm
by Philulhu
Luck (41%) 1d100
1d100 roll 1d100

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Luck is not with Jocelyn.

Luck roll (42% stat) in the hotel room:
d%
Unknown roll:
d%

Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:55 am
by Silver Priest

1d100 Random roll

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:31 pm
by Mephistophilis
Simon rams the door with his shoulder but it doesn't budge. He feels impacts against the wood from the other side and hears muffled voices.

In the near darkness Jocelyn rushes to Regina on the bed and scoops her up, turning to run back to the door. No!' screams Lindsay, swinging the barrel of the shotgun towards Jocelyn as Kris makes a lunge for it.

Lindsay deftly side-steps Kris's clumsy grab and levels it at Jocelyn who dives onto the bed, covering Regina.

There is another loud explosion and a flash from the muzzle as Lindsay discharges the shotgun directly at Jocelyn.

So Kris attempted to grab the shotgun which I've classed as a Fighting (Brawl) but he failed with his roll of 47. Lindsay is attempting to shoot Jocelyn, that's a Firearms (Rifle/Shotgun) and Jocelyn succeeds at diving for cover so Lindsay takes a penalty die and another for aiming in the dark. She doesn't get a point blank bonus die to the unwieldy nature of the shotgun. Firearms (Rifle/Shotgun) 80% + two penalty dice: 1d100+1d10+1d10 59. Shotgun damage close range 4d6: 4d6 9

Jocelyn feels a searing pain in her back and the breath is knocked out of her. She gasps for air through the burning pain.

-----

Take 9 damage, a major wound, and roll CON to stay conscious. No more actions this round. Oh, and you got a successful Dodge

Ears ringing and blinded by the bright flash it takes a few seconds for Kris and Simon to realise that Jocelyn is lying immobile across Regina's struggling body. They can just make out Lindsay cracking open her shotgun.

Then they hear that tearing, scraping noise again, penetrating through the high pitch whine in their eardrums caused by the shotgun blast. This is followed by the shattering of glass and the curtains billow in, accompanied by gusts of a cold wind and a deep, rhythmic sensation that they feel rather than hear, like great wings beating. And this is followed by loud ragged breathing, and warm foetid air swirls around the room as shining misty tendrils begin to coalesce around Lindsay. She starts screaming again.

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:42 pm
by Philulhu
”Shoot it, Lindsay!” yelled Kris as he fought his way through the insects to reach the bed where Jocelyn lay bleeding.

Given their firearms skills, Lindsay is far better equipped to try to shoot whatever is tearing a hole in the roof, and that’s assuming that it will even take damage from the shotgun and/or Lindsay doesn’t try shooting someone else in the room.

Kris will attempt first aid (40%) on Jocelyn - 1d100

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:51 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn had been trying to get Regina out of the way of whatever was coming to protect her, but of course Lindsay hadn't seen it that way. She struggles to stay conscious.

CON roll (65% stat) to stay conscious:
d%
I'm lucky that didn't kill me, but I'd have been luckier still not to have been hit in the first place. I'm used to a successful Dodge negating a hit entirely. Did that change in 7th edition? Does my vest reduce the damage?

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:12 am
by Silver Priest
"Jocelyn!" Things are going from bad to worse, but Simon struggles to retain control.

Deciding there's no way he can break down the door, and seeing Kris caring for Jocelyn he turns around and sees Lindsay and the shapes forming around her that seem to be trying to grasp her.

"Get to cover, Lindsay!" He tells her. "Get underneath the bed!"

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:37 am
by Mephistophilis
No dodging bullets in 7th edn. A successful Dodge roll allows you to Dive for Cover - giving the attacker a penalty die, which is what happened here - but you're right, you get protection from the vest, as we're not using hit locations in going to say 3pts of armour so that's 6 damage, not 9

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:20 am
by Mephistophilis
While reloading the shotgun, Lindsay continues to stare madly at the motionless figure of Jocelyn. For a moment it seems like she is going to shoot at her again until the window shatters and she turns to look through the billowing curtains. Her expression changes. From one of wild eyed anger to fear. Deep, primal fear. As clutching tentacles of mist reach out for her Lindsay screams, a pitiful wailing sound that goes on too long. Right up to when she fires another shot at the window, through the curtains.

From the other side of the hotel room door the thudding is getting louder and Simon thinks he might even see cracks appearing in the wood.

-----

Kris pulls Jocelyn's body off the little girl who rolls off the bed, whimpering, and scuttling underneath. Looking closely Kris can see Jocelyn is still alive, her breath shallow and rapid. Inspecting the impact of the shotgun blast he sees that her bulletproof vest has absorbed much of the damage, although there is not much left of it now. In places the material has been penetrated and blood oozes, there are further wound in her arm and upper leg where stray pellets have struck unprotected tissue. One of these bleeds profusely and Kris ties a makeshift tourniquet around her arm. He notices Jocelyn's sidearm remains holstered at her waist.

Gain 1 HP. You can take actions now

-----

What little light is creeping through the thick layers of insects coating their phone screens, the television, and lightbulbs suddenly dims and then goes out completely. It is pitch black with the only illumination the faintest of glow coming through the curtains, presumably from streetlamps and maybe the moon.

In the darkness it is very difficult to make out what is going on and it's like the mist is solidifying into something writhing and sinuous yet at the same time it also seems like there is something bloated and glistening slithering from between the curtains towards Lindsay. Perhaps both at the same time. Lindsay fires into the darkness and they hear her desperately crack open the shotgun again. Her screams subside into sobs, 'It's coming for me...I can't stop it...You have to get Regina out, and keep her away from Balfour...watch the DVD...watch it...'

Anyone watching what is going on with Lindsay roll Spot Hidden, that's probably Simon plus maybe Kris/Jocelyn depending on what they decide to do next

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:33 am
by Mephistophilis
Also roll Listen please

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"We will," says Jocelyn, struggling painfully to her feet and helping Regina out of the room. "I was trying to protect her from that thing earlier when you shot me. Where's the DVD?"

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:11 am
by Silver Priest
Spot Hidden 25,

1d100

1d100 Listen 30

Seeing that cracks are starting to appear in the door, Simon acts on what he hopes does not prove to be poorly considered instinct. He tries to make his way as quickly as possible towards Lindsay, hoping to grab the unstable woman and pull her back towards the hotel room. If they could only last until the police were able to break them out, they'd be fine.

ooc,

Not sure I'll be able get there in time but Simon's got to try.

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:35 am
by Philulhu
Seeing Simon heading towards Lindsay, Kris knows he has to do the same. He’s a police officer - it’s his job to protect the public...

Kris will try to grab Lindsay and pull her towards the door.

Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:35 pm
by Mephistophilis
Simon hears, or maybe feels a buzzing in his back pocket

Jocelyn tries to extricate Regina from under the bed but she wriggles away.

Going to need a DEX roll to grab Regina

Kris and Simon rush over to Lindsay where the spectral shapes diffuse and fade on their approach. She tears her gaze away from the window to answer Jocelyn but before she can say anything the glistening, wormlike form flicks out from between the curtains and encircles Lindsay several times like a misshapen rope, sliding and tightening around her. She gulps and tries to speak or scream but the air has been squeezed out of her lungs.

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn tries to extricate Regina from under the bed, knowing that her peashooter isn't likely to do much good against the creature attacking Lindsay, considering that the shotgun didn't stop it.

DEX roll (65% stat) to grab Regina:
d%
Oops... :cry:

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:49 am
by Silver Priest
Simon ignores the buzzing in his pocket, focused on Lindsay. He tries to grab hold of her, hoping that both he and Kris can free her or at least, keep her in place long enough for help to arrive.

Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:15 pm
by Philulhu
Kris rushed to aid Simon, pulling at whatever is choking the life from Lindsay Peale.

”Get that fucking door open!” he yelled in the direction of the door, hoping his Police colleagues could get in to help drive this thing off.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:02 pm
by Mephistophilis
Jocelyn squeezes under the bed but Regina backs further away in fear. Trying to manoeuvre in the cramped space Jocelyn can't get her hands on the small child. As she twists and turns something thuds onto the floor and when Jocelyn is back out from under the bed and looking towards Regina she sees the child gingerly holding a handgun.

-----

Kris and Simon pull on the cold, slimy tentacle...or tail... To touch it is not what they expect, hard, muscular, pulsatile, getting a purchase on the slick surface is enough of an effort let alone trying to loosen the powerful grip.

OOC:   Using the rules for Physical Human Limits Simon will need to roll an Extreme success on a Strength test as he has the higher Strength. Kris has helped by making the task possible with his lower Strength  

Tugging on the serpentine appendage they can't help but look up, towards the open window from where the creature projects into the room. It is difficult to even resolve what they are seeing, wispy tendrils of vapour reaching out with cold fingers or a writhing mass of worms with membranous wings at random angles. From the centre protrudes something like a head, three black eyes on one side and four on the other, between them a jaw, wide open in an unnatural way, unhinged like a snake, and from that a muscular tube pokes out, its circumference filled with small, pointed teeth that surround red, glistening mucosa. Radiating from around the outside of the head are several articulated and pointed structures that flicker in and out of the mouth part like they're tasting the air or trying to grasp things to drag into the path of the razor sharp teeth.

OOC:   Sanity loss 0/1d10  

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:22 pm
by Philulhu
SAN (68%) 1d100
SAN loss (if required) 1d10

Edit: Passed, no SAN loss, thankfully!

”Pull!” Kris exhorted Simon, even though the psychologist was clearly stronger than him and doing most of the work. ”If we don’t get this thing off her, she’s going to die!”

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:06 am
by Silver Priest

1d100 Str 9

1d100 San 45

1d10 San loss

I would like to spend one luck to make that the needed extreme success, if possible.

Simon
lets out a muffled cry of fear at the horror he sees, the rationality that has been getting him through all of this finally fleeing him. He wants nothing more but to crawl under the bed and hide. But looking into the terrified eyes of Lindsay, he forces himself to remember the job he has to do and the promise he's made her, and he pulls with all his might.

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn slowly raises her hands. "Be careful with that, Regina," she says. "I think you'd better give it back to me. I've been trained to use it, and I can protect you."

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:55 am
by Philulhu
Kris could see the fear in Simon’s eyes. ”Stay with me, Simon!” he yelled. “We can do this!”

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
Hauling with all their might, Kris and Simon eventually manage to loosen the sinuous grip around Lindsay. She gasps and then sucks in the air desperately before ducking under the slippery flesh and backing towards the bed. She grabs her shotgun and cracks it open again, her shaking hands shoving in the cartridges she rips from her pockets.

The creature seems to float in the air like a marionette, defying the laws of physics, its ragged wings providing no obvious lift. The toothed maw spasms and emits a series of low, gutteral noises, like some primitive attempt at speech. The air is filled with a foul, meaty stench. This is followed by a shrieking sound as the mouth unfolds like a three sided petal, fleshy sheath shooting across the short distance towards Lindsay, articulated appendages flicking and scratching at her face

The mouth engulfs Lindsay's head and there is a sickening sound, like a crunch followed by a squelch. Lindsay's body thuds to the ground hosing arterial blood from the ragged stump of her neck.

The creature's mouth constricts again, making more gutteral noises, and then it opens wide, emitting a chilling scream.

-----

Kris must test Sanity again 1d3/1d10.

He'd had some doubts but this confirms it to Simon, the quality of these special effects, animatronics even, Balfour's hands are all over this. He has to admit, reluctantly, the man's an evil genius. But really, floating there in the middle of the room, has the man no idea of basic physics? Still, what he did to Lindsay, he's not sure how he did that or if she is okay.

-----

Simon's insanity is automatically triggered when he loses further Sanity.

Regina continues to hold the handgun by the barrel, she looks scared and confused.

Jocelyn hears a struggle beyond the bed. Then something bumps into it and there's the sound of a gun being cracked open. This is followed by a low, gutteral noise like some primitive attempt at speech, and accompanied by a faint smell of spoiled meat. There is then a shriek and a confused sound of crunching and squelching, and then a thud. The harsh noises repeat followed by a chilling, unearthly scream.

Bite 65%: 1d100 5

Dodge 45%: 1d100 18

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:09 am
by Philulhu
SAN Check (68%) 1d100

SAN loss (1d3) - 1d6 (can’t roll 1d3 so will settle for 1d6/2, rounding up (2 points).

Kris saw red (literally!) as the creature let Lindsay’s headless, lifeless, body slump to the floor. ”Add murder to your criminal damage!” he snarled and he grabbed the shotgun from the bed and swung it with all his might at the head of the creature.

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:14 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn carefully and slowly reaches out for the pistol's grip.

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:40 am
by Silver Priest
OOC:   Oof, shame Lindsay can't spend luck. Was super excited I made that roll too. RIP.  
"Lindsay!" Simon screams, morning the lose of the woman he had hoped to save by this unspeakable horror.

But that's enough to push him over the edge. His panic dispels, and he finds himself rather calm. What he had just seen happen was impossible. And since it was impossible, that meant that none of this was real. Lindsay was surely fine, but he needed to prove this was all some sort of hallucination. Balfour must have drugged the room somehow. He starts to move towards the creature, intent on grabbing at it. Either it was an illusion that touching it would dispel, or he could pull its mask off and reveal it as a man in a funny suit. He wasn't going to allow Balfour to terrify anyone with his tricks any longer.
OOC:   This may be it for Simon, but I think this fits his character. Shame, if he died I was going to ask to play Lindsay. Whoops. :P  

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:36 pm
by Mephistophilis
From the far side of the room the crashing against the door is growing louder and a small hole is punched through the wood. Light from the hallway streams in and illuminates the mouth of the creature, it screams again and the tissue in the light seems to steam and sear before the fleshy sheath retracts back into the head, with its asymmetrical eyes glowering.

OOC:   Yeah, Lindsay nearly made it - and that was a nice roll!

Okay, Kris is swinging a shotgun - that's an improvised large club 1d8 + DB damage, roll Fighting Brawl

Let's say Simon is also attacking the creature, unarmed, so that's also Fighting Brawl

The creature will fight back so you can roll damage if you hit but be aware that it might hit you back if it rolls well - no bonus for it being outnumbered as it has 2 attacks

I also need a group Luck roll - I think Kris has the lowest Luck

There's always Bates if you die  

Jocelyn reaches out and takes the handgun from Regina. From the far side of the room the crashing against the door is growing louder. She hears another inhuman scream from the direction of the window.

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn crawls out from under the bed, hoping that Regina will be safe enough under there for now. There's no time to get her out, and it would only expose her to danger. The others need her help.

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:43 am
by Silver Priest
Chuckling to himself, Simon attempts to grab at the creature and pull a bit of its costume off.

1d100 Brawl 25

1d6 Did 1d6 because 1d3 was not allowed, so I think that would be 2 total.

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:16 am
by Philulhu
Kris swung with all his might but his aim was off and he missed the creature.

Fighting Brawl (25%) - 1d100

Luck (41%) - 1d100

At least I made the luck roll!

Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:02 pm
by Mephistophilis
Emerging from behind the bed, Jocelyn gets her first look at what has been happening by the window. What she presumes is Lindsay's body lies on the floor, headless, in a puddle of blood.

Kris and Simon seem to be engaged in hand to hand combat with something massive, and serpentine. It projects into the room through the open window, beyond is difficult to even resolve, wispy tendrils of vapour reaching out with cold fingers or a writhing mass of worms with membranous wings at random angles. From the centre, protruding to immediately before Kris and Simon is something like a head, three black eyes on one side and four on the other, between them a jaw, wide open in an unnatural way, unhinged like a snake, and from that a muscular tube pokes out, its circumference filled with small, pointed teeth that surround red, glistening mucosa. Radiating from around the outside of the head are several articulated and pointed structures that flicker in and out of the mouthpart like they're tasting the air or trying to grasp things to drag into the path of the razor sharp teeth. Behind the head is a thick, wormlike tentacle or tail, whipping through the air menacingly.

OOC:   That's a Sanity check - 1d3/1d10  

Simon swings at the section of the creature with the eyes, presumably the head, and his hand connects squarely to the side, below the set of three eyes. There is little give in the flesh which feels cold and slick and he is unable to gain any purchase, it is like striking a plank of wood, which was not what he was expecting.

Following up, Kris swings the heavy stock of the shotgun in the same direction but he's not as effective as Simon, the creature seems to recoil, or compress, and the makeshift club sails over its head and the muscular sheeth tipped in sharp teeth thrusts in Kris's direction, mercifully ending short and snapping at empty air. Kris feels warm breath gusting from its mouth, foetid and malignant.

Behind them comes a series of sharp crunching noises, voices from beyond the hotel room become more audible, but still impossible to make out in the noise and confusion. With each crunch a thick beam of light, around the size of a fist, penetrates through the darkness and illuminates a patch of wall or floor. Several of the beams strike the creature, and where the light touches the slick, shining hide it steams and blisters.

The three sides of the mouth unfold and the creature issues a long, deeply unsettling scream. Then from behind the head the tail-like tentacle whips forward, past Kris, heading straight for where Simon is standing.

The creature is trying to grab Simon with its tail. It has achieved a hard success. Simon could avoid this with a hard success on his Dodge roll

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:39 am
by Mr. Handy

As shocked as Jocelyn is by the apparition, coupled with the certainty that holograms do not cut off people's heads, the adrenaline flowing through her spurs her into immediate action and she does not process what she is seeing fully. All she knows is that they need backup now, so with her pistol in one hand, she rushes to the door to the room in order to open it.

Sanity roll (current level 58) for seeing the creature:
d%
Sanity loss:
1d10

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:15 am
by Silver Priest
Simon barely has time to register his frustration at the costume not giving before he sees the tentacle coming his way. He attempts to leap out of the way.

1d100 Dodge 19 needed.

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:59 am
by Philulhu
Can Kris tell if the shotgun is loaded?

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:56 am
by Mephistophilis
Lindsay was loading the shotgun when her head was bitten off. When Kris swung it at the creature it was closed. So there's a good chance it has been loaded with at least one cartridge

How is she trying to open the door - pull it? shoot the door handle out? shoulder barge it? etc...

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:32 pm
by Philulhu
Kris intends to swing the gun around so the barrel is mere inches from the creatures head, then pull the trigger. I presume that’s a bonus dice for point blank range? Any other rolls required?

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:44 pm
by Mephistophilis
The thick tail snakes around Simon and starts to constrict. The head twists, like it is looking into his eyes, and then the toothed mouthpart projects towards his face, just like it did with Lindsay.

Would be a bonus for having Simon grabbed but that's cancelled by penalty for the effect of the light. Attack 65%: 1d100 52

That's a success for the creature, you can roll to fight back, but you'd need a hard success or better, or you can roll to Dodge - just needing an ordinary success

Yeah, bonus for point blank, and the creature can't dive for cover as it's busy trying to eat Simon. Don't fumble though as Simon is very close by

Posted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:53 pm
by Silver Priest
"I figured it out!" Simon laughs in the creature's face, madness and triumph in his eyes as he struggles to avoid the beast. He hardly seems aware he's being constricted.

1d100 Dodge 36

Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:13 am
by Mr. Handy
Hotel room doors open inward, so I'll try pulling it open first.

Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:10 am
by Mephistophilis
Roll against STR

Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:14 am
by Philulhu
Kris switched his grip on the shotgun as it returned from its missed swing. He pulled thecstock into his shoulder and brought the barrel up sharply so it was little more than a hair’s breadth from the creature’s snapping maw. ”Time to die!” he snapped, and he pulled the trigger…

Fingers crossed…

Shotgun (25%) - 1d100

Bonus die for point blank range - 1d10

Is it possible to spend a point of luck to make that a success?!

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn pulls on the door, but it resists her. Luckily, she is able to force it open.

STR roll (35% stat) to open the door:
d%
Spending 7 Luck to make that succeed.

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:42 pm
by Mephistophilis
The three lobed mouth shoots straight for Simon's face, perhaps it's his building madness and the erratic nature of his movements, but the creature's maw, all teeth and facial claws, pulls up short, snapping and clawing ineffectively right before Simon's eyes.

Kris uses this moment to fire the shotgun inches from the mouthpart. The deafening explosion sends Simon reeling, his ears ringing. Both Kris and Simon are splattered with chunks of flesh, Simon can't even open his eyes he is so caked in mucosa, blood, and other tissue. A long, wet slapping, muttering sound erupts from the direction of the creature, then a rising howl, the air throbbing with it, strident, wild, and menacing.

With Jocelyn hauling on the holed and battered door the locking mechanism finally splinters and rips out of the doorframe, the rest of the door flies open, bathing the hotel room in the bright artificial light of the corridor. In the doorway stands Ollie holding the big red key, flanked by the other two AFOs, their MP5s raised to shoulder height and aimed into the room. Behind them stands DS Bates with a frantic look on her face.

The creature issues a sad moan which starts to die away almost as soon as it begins. In the bright light its outline starts to waver and blur, it becomes misty and indistinct, until finally the last few wisps dissapate in the air and there is nothing but the curtains rippling in the breeze from the open window.

Luck well spent

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:28 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Regina's under the bed, she's fine," says Jocelyn, moving out of the way so the others could enter the room. "I tried to get her out of the room when I heard that thing coming, but Lindsay misunderstood my intentions and shot me. I was trying to get Regina out when the...creature attacked Lindsay. That's all that's left of her."

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:11 pm
by Mephistophilis
DS Bates walks into the room and crosses over to Lindsay's body. 'Jesus, what a mess.' She looks up at Kris who is still holding the smoking shotgun, 'You have got a lot of explaining to do.'

At Jocelyn's mention of a creature Bates looks confused, 'Creature, you mean these things?' she asks, pointing at the insects which seem to have calmed down and are now settled on the floor, walls, and ceiling of the hotel room, with a few fluttering out of the window and into the hallway.

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

"No, you didn't see it?" asks Jocelyn. "I didn't get a good look myself, since I was dealing with Regina. Whatever it was, it broke in through the window from the outside."

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:33 pm
by Philulhu
Kris broke open the shotgun to make it safe then relaxed slightly, allowing the gun to drop down by his side. DS Bates attitude was starting to get on his nerves but he tried to bite down on that and report what he had seen. ”Some sort of creature attacked Lindsay Peale,” he said, determined to keep his report factual and to the point. “It grabbed ahold of her, crushed her in its coils, then bit her head off. It sounds unbelievable, but her injuries should be consistent with my report.”

“It tried to do the same to Dr Eagleton but I blew its fucking head off. When you opened the door it seemed to disappear. It likes the darkness but can’t handle daylight.” He looked down at his blood- and ichor-stained jacket and wiped a thumb down his lapel and offered it to DS Bates. “This might be worth analysing too. See if it tells you anything about the creature that attacked us.”

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:17 pm
by Silver Priest
Despite looking like the killer from a 1980's slasher movie, Simon is grinning widely.

"I told you! I told you all that this was just smoke and mirrors! The 'creature' vanished when light hit it-- no doubt because we would have seen the flaws in the illusion when it was fully illuminated. Where's Lindsay?" He attempts to force his eyes open and looks towards her, seeing her remains. "No, this isn't right... how can she be..." He seems momentarily at a lose for words, struggling to process everything in a way that makes sense to him.

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:43 pm
by Philulhu
Kris didn’t say anything, he just gripped Simon’s shoulder in a reassuring manner.

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:10 pm
by Mephistophilis
PC Grey and the two other AFOs enter behind Bates, their submachine guns raised to a firing position as they criss-cross the room. 'Room's clear boss' says Grey while PC Wisniewski is down on her hands and knees looking under the bed, 'You're safe now Regina, out you come.' PC Babcock stands at the door, facing into the corridor, and blocking any entry.

Ollie comes up to Kris and takes the shotgun, 'Evidence.' He gently puts his hand on Kris's back and looks down at Lindsay's body, surprisingly tenderly he says 'First kill's always hard.'

Bates looks sceptically at Kris's explanation and she looks more alarmed when Simon starts talking. She steps over the body towards the window, crouching down and picking up some broken glass. She stands and looks out into the night. Then turns back to Kris, 'So, you're telling me someone or something broke in through this window and killed Lindsay by biting her head off. And not, despite how it might look...' She gestures to the empty shotgun cartridges on the floor, and the blood on the end of Kris's finger as he holds it out to her. 'That you blew her head off with her own shotgun in a moment of panic, maybe mistaking her for something else in the dark, something that wasn't there when the lights came on...'

I'm gonna need an Extreme success on Persuade if you want to convince Bates, and maybe the AFOs too, that there is some killer creature on the loose

It seems to Simon that Bates's explanation might just be the truth...

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:24 pm
by Philulhu
Persuade (55%) - 1d100 Nope…

Kris wasn’t going to be intimidated by Bates or the AFOs, swanning around with their guns and their tactical gear. ”Yeah, you weren’t in here so you didn’t see what went down. Forensics will prove I didn’t shoot her, see if they don’t!”

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll admit I didn't see her die," says Jocelyn, realizing that she does not sound like a good witness. "I was under the bed trying to retrieve Regina at the time. But look at the window. It was broken from the outside, not the inside. See the broken glass on the floor below it?"

Persuade roll (60 / 5 = 12% skill) to convince DS Bates and the AFOs:
d%

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:15 am
by Silver Priest
"Maybe we shouldn't be too hasty," Simon says. "It was rather dark in the room, due to the unusual behavior of the insects. I have never been in a situation where gunfire was exchanged before. I suppose it may be possible that in the chaos and stress of the moment our fears gave rise to hallucinations, the better to help us cope with everything. Kris and I at least seemed to have seen the same thing, which does give me pause, but perhaps one of our delusions fueled the other-- I cannot be certain what I was saying out loud. Then there was Lindsay herself-- she was quite clearly stressed, half maddened with paranoia, and she did shoot at you, Jocelyn. Are you alright?

"Perhaps... perhaps Lindsay attacked me and Detective Sapru shot her in my defense. As I said it happened so fast I am unsure what I saw. And I've already seen Balfour's ability to craft compelling illusions, and Jocelyn and I can both attest to. What does seem evident is that the insects began to swarm the room,which sent Lindsay into a tailspin of psychosis. Everything after that is murky."

"Regardless, I still remain convinced Reverend Balfour is dangerous. Hopefully these tapes Lindsay has reveal more of her concern towards him, but she never told us where they were, regrettably.

Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:35 am
by Philulhu
Kris frowned and shook his head. Simon’s comments were hardly helping his case.

”I can’t claim to know what’s going on,” he said calmly, ”But obviously something’s cracking off - look at the insects! Have you ever seen anything like that before?!”

“It sounds crazy,” - Kris tried not to look at Simon - “But Balfour and his church are behind this - you need to read his book.”

Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:40 am
by Mr. Handy

"She didn't just shoot at me," says Jocelyn, "she did shoot me. I'm lucky I wasn't killed. The vest helped a little, but it still hurts. I'm going to need a doctor, but we need to search Lindsay and the room for the DVD she mentioned or any clue as to where it is. Maybe Regina heard her say something when they were alone in the room. We should ask her about that once she recovers."

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:04 am
by Mephistophilis

On hearing Jocelyn has been shot, PC Grey roughly looks her over, prodding the shredded material of the vest with his fingers. 'She'll live but we need medical attention.'

Bates gets onto the radio, 'Send the paramedics up now'

She turns to Kris, 'You've got until they get here to convince me not to kick you and your friends out and have you suspended on the grounds of mental instability.'

So you haven't convinced her there's a monster on the loose, not surprisingly, but can you convince her you're not all completely bonkers? I'll need a social roll and it'll probably need a hard success depending on your roleplaying.

If one of you wants to look for the DVD you can - given the time constraints and you don't know where it is is say that's a hard Spot Hidden unless you tell me you're looking somewhere particularly inspired.

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:33 pm
by Philulhu
Increasingly frustrated, Kris looked around the room, trying to think where he might hide a DVD. He looked at the TV, where a laughing Peppa Pig was jumping up and down in muddy puddles, albeit with a crack in the screen that was causing the picture to fracture.

He thought back to home, where a pile of DVDs by the TV grew steadily until Bina got fed up, shoved the discs in cases any old how, leaving him searching to match up discs and their boxes for weeks afterwards. Watching Peppa, he wondered if Lindsay had watched the DVD while she had been here. Perhaps she had, if only to hear a familiar voice while she conducted her lonely mission.

He looked around for any DVD cases, checking each one carefully, popping out the discs and looking for any sign of DVD they sought.

Spot Hidden (40%) - 1d100
Edit: Inspired idea (even if I say so myself) but a shit roll… :evil:

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:39 pm
by Mephistophilis
Inspired enough for a bonus die

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:05 pm
by Philulhu

Bonus dice - 1d10

Edit: So, 71 again… :cry:

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:39 pm
by Mr. Handy

"The DVD must be among the ones she brought for Regina," says Jocelyn. "It could be in the wrong case. Or maybe in the DVD player itself. While I did not see what happened, I do see the forensic evidence, and I cannot discount it. Look at the window. The glass and pieces of the window frame are on the inside of the room, which means that it was broken by something outside. We also happen to be several stories up. It was dark in the room until I got the door open, so maybe we couldn't be sure what broke in, but we have to acknowledge that it was something. Can you think of an alternative explanation for how the window was broken inward from outside of the room? I certainly can't."

Persuade roll (60% / 2 = 30% skill) to convince the police we're not crazy:
d%
I sure hope I get a bonus die too.

Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:45 pm
by Silver Priest
"There's also the possibility Lindsay left the DVD somewhere," Simon points out. "Just in case she was captured before Tuesday. I hope it's somewhere within this room though, because if it's not in her home we'll never find it in time.

"I'm aware this sounds absurd
," He tells Bates, "but the facts are that Balfour is using some trickery we cannot fully explain at this point. Even if you ignore the fact that both I and Jocelyn saw this Passover Angel, there was the freak hail storm-- part of which was centered around his car-- the frankly baffling insect behavior here, and the door closing and locking securely by itself. I can't explain any of it. But I know Balfour and his friends in Red Trumpet are behind everything. We also know he's written by his own admission of his desire to see a slaughter of the firstborn. Can we really trust a child's safety with someone so unstable?" He asks, not appearing to notice the irony of the statement.

1d100 Persuade 30

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:47 am
by Mephistophilis
Kris empties out the DVDs onto the floor, they can hear a shout of dismay from under the bed. Rifling through the DVDs Kris finds three DVD-RW discs, they are labelled '#1', '#2', and '#3' in black permanent marker.

-----

Bates looks frankly disgusted at what is being said. 'Wisniewski, go and see if DI Malone has arrived yet. He can deal with these loons.

Okay, once the paramedics are done with you then you're out of here, all of you.'

She calls to PC Grey, 'Ollie, take Officer Leigh's weapon, she won't be needing it.' Grey holds out his hand with an awkward smile.

Bates crouches beside the bed, 'Come on Regina, you can come out now, it's safe.'

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:08 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn surrenders her weapon.

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:57 am
by Silver Priest
At being called a loon, Simon looks shocked. Then furious. She thought he was crazy, when he had acted rationally from day one? The days of pent up frustration are unleashed.

"How dare you. I was called out here to assist in an investigation that was frankly beneath my talents, and I have been treated with scorn from the opening moments of it. I am tired of being treated like some nut by individuals frankly unworthy of cleaning my shoes. And that refers to you, Bates. Oh yes, your 'wonderful' investigation. You proved inept every step of the way during it. If it wasn't for myself and the others you wouldn't even have found this place! Then you left us to deal with an armed and unstable woman and rescue the child-- which we did-- all while you and the rest of your inept clowns were unable to even open up a door. Truly you remain an example of the best and brightest this country has to offer. bravo, oh, bravo!" He begins to clap.

"Maybe if you weren't so bloody obsessed with making nice with Balfour to avoid a scandal you'd actually be able to get it through that minuscule peanut you call a brain that he is the real threat! Instead you're going to be responsible for whatever he does next. And ohho, I will enjoy testifying against you to Parliament. When the inquiries into this are written, people will know that I am right. I solved the Thorndike murder! You, my inept dear, are not even fit to be handing out parking tickets!"

OOC:   I'd recommend Kris start popping in those dvd's. Bates might be distracted for the next few minutes. ;)  

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:12 am
by Philulhu
As grim as the situation was Kris couldn’t help but grin at Simon’s withering assessment of DS Bates. He tried not to look at her because he knew he would burst out laughing.

Sitting on the floor in front of the TV, he hit the ‘Eject’ button on the DVD button and pulled out the Peppa Pig DVD, flipping it to one side. Pushing in DVD#1, he pressed ‘Play’ and sat back to see what appeared on the screen, cross-legged like a child…

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:43 am
by Mephistophilis
Bates huff's then shrugs her shoulders, 'I had you down as the sane one Simon'. She starts helping Regina out from under the bed. Ollie takes Jocelyn's weapon with an awkward smile.

-----

Kris plays the DVD which comes up on the flat screen television hanging on the wall. The sound is turned right down and he scrabbles for the remote control.

After a fuzzy start a grainy black and white picture stabilises on the screen, slight movement indicating it has been filmed. It reveals what looks to be the interior of a church, the camera footage seems to be coming from chest height based on the people around and for some reason the arms of the cameraman come in and out of view, like they're not holding the camera. It is recording from a position in the wings of the church, looking onto the central pews and lectern where Reverend Balfour can be seen giving a sermon. His wife is evident in the front row.

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:19 pm
by Philulhu
Kris clicked his fingers to attract DS Bates’ attention. ”You might want to watch this, Lucy,” he said, turning up the volume on the television. ” I’m no expert, but I suspect this was filmed covertly at Balfour’s church. Obviously, Lindsay thought it was important enough to bring it with her.”

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:42 pm
by Silver Priest
"Oh." Was what Simon says in response. "Yes, well, it's been a long day." He looks very much like he wants to disappear.

As the dvd comes on he turns his attention to it, awkwardness mostly forgotten as he attempts to discern what he can from the video. If Balfour was up to something nefarious, these videos were their best chance at learning more about it.

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:53 pm
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn watches the DVD carefully, hoping it provides useful evidence.

Posted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:40 pm
by Mephistophilis
Balfour seems to be celebrating the Eucharist, he holds a cup, a rather ornate one that looks out of place in the more evangelical and charismatic trappings of his church. He dips a communion wafer into the cup and lifts it out and places it on his tongue.

There's something wrong with the way the wine in the cup flows, it seems more viscous than you'd expect, it clings to the surface of the wafer, with thick globs of it dripping onto the lectern below...Or, is it a lectern? It seems foreshortened in the image, perhaps it is longer than a lectern, a table perhaps. And the wine, it drips onto something on the table. It's very difficult to see from this angle, a mass of something, something filamentous, hair maybe...

As their attention is focused on the table something strange has been happening, something hard to explain, one second Balfour is there, the next he is not, replaced by a hazy figure. It is tall, and thin, with great ragged wings and a skeletal face with angry red eyes. It seems to be continuing Balfour's sermon until it stops and turns towards the camera. Everyone watching can feel it's gaze, like it is aware of them, looking at them, looking at them and not pleased by what it sees.

It's the same figure they saw in the storm

In a chilling, sepulchral voice it says 'There is nothing that you can do, little man. Nor you, little woman.' And whoever is holding the camera makes a bolt for the door while the congregation watch on impassively.

SAN check 0/1 loss

Well this video just proves what Simon has been saying all along, Balfour is clearly an expert in special effects, and here is evidence of his work. Frankly his use of Christian symbolism in such a manipulative way is quite offensive to believers, misguided fools though they may be.

Balfour has to be stopped and anyone who cannot see that, who stands in the way, is a liability. And that includes any idiots who ascribe to ridiculous notions of supernatural agency, and that fool Bates, she has no idea who she is dealing with!

OOC:   Simon is already insane and every exposure to an insanity provoking situation just makes it worse (although he doesn't lose more Sanity, since he doesn't believe it). I've given him a lot of leeway but Simon is going to have to become more erratic and unpredictable now.  

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"Did you see that?" asks Jocelyn.

Sanity roll (current level 57) for seeing the transformation:
d%
That's weird. I'm getting two rolls here. Roll 203 is one I rolled yesterday at 4:25 PM (Eastern Daylight Time). Roll 219 is the one I just rolled tonight. I'm not sure which is which.

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:17 am
by Mephistophilis
I'm afraid 219 is the fail

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:15 am
by Silver Priest
"That's what I saw in the storm!" Simon points at the figure, eyes manic. "Don't you all see, Balfour is using Christian mythology but this is textbook cult behavior. But this is beyond what I've ever seen. Balfour and Red Trumpet are able to pull off effects that most Hollywood studios would have trouble replicating. This means we're dealing with an adversary with far deeper pockets and resources than we ever imagined. Red Trumpet could be a front for a foreign power or terrorist cell." He turns to Bates. "This is a national security risk and you need to get MI6 on the phone now! If they are able to produce these sort of illusions and convincingly replicate supernatural events they've already proven themselves a threat to the security of the nation, to say nothing of their stated desire to bring about the end times. If they can afford all of this technology, we have to assume they've stockpiled enough chemical weapons to bloody well bring about Armageddon!

"You need to arrest Balfour at once-- he attacked me, bring him in on that. Then it's imperative we bring him to some black site and interrogate him until he talks as to this group's motives, its backers, and when they're planning to carry out the attack. We are the only ones who can stop him, but it is imperative we not fall for this religious gobblygook he uses to incite fear and panic!
"

If Bates appears dismissive or reluctant, Simon will try and catch one of the officer's offguard and steal a firearm from them, and then take Regina hostage. Hope that's erratic enough. ;)

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:50 am
by Philulhu
SAN (68%) - 1d100

Simon!” said Kris sharply. “Let’s just take it down a notch, shall we?” He glanced at Jocelyn and DS Bates.

Can Kris try a Persuade roll on Simon to try to get him to calm down? An opposed roll, perhaps?

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's keep watching the DVDs," says Jocelyn. "I'm sure there will be more evidence on them. Six is responsible for activities on foreign soil. It's Five that does counterterrorism on UK soil. Right now my boss thinks I'm crazy for some reason, so I'm going to need more than some special effects to convince him that this doomsday cult means to make it happen. That's where the DVDs come in."

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:55 am
by Philulhu
Kris ejected the first DVD from the player, loaded the second disc and pressed ‘Play’…

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:31 am
by Mephistophilis
Bates just stands there dumbfounded, staring at the screen. Grey laughs nervously, 'Yeah, put on another one.'

Kris loads DVD #2. The grainy image again stabilises to a scene in the church. In fact, after a few seconds it is clear that it is the same scene as DVD #1. Again, as Balfour tastes the wafer his form wavers and then there is the skeletal angel continuing the sermon in its hoarse voice.

As before, it stops and turns towards the camera. Its malevolent gaze burrowing into the watchers. In the same hissing and grating tone it says 'There is nothing that you can do, little men, nor you, little women.' Then in an instant it is up in front of the camera, red eyes flashing, 'I am coming. I am coming for you first born.'

Well this just proves it, the same scene but different special effects. And that bit about the first born. Was that a deliberate jibe at him?

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:39 am
by Philulhu
”Shiiiitttt….” breathed Kris. This was getting really creepy… …

“You want to see the last one?” he asked.

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:46 pm
by Silver Priest
"Yes," Simon nods, calmer now, at least outwardly. He looks towards the others. "This just proves we're dealing with advanced special effects here. It's the same scene but utilizing different CGI. I suspect Balfour was experimenting with effects to see which set would be the most psychologically upsetting for the viewer. In any event, that remark at the end sounded like a confession as to the church's intent. They're planning an attack that somehow targets first born's. And according to Lindsay they're planning to sacrifice Regina. We can't give her back to them. Both for the girl's safety as well as the fact she's to damn important to their mythology. As long as Balfour doesn't have her, he may hesitate and postpone the attack-- he did last time. Do you understand?" He tells Bates, deadly serious,and disgusted with her shock. He''d give Balfour credit, he knew how to exploit the fears of the rubes.

A plan was forming in his mind. He didn't want to have to do anything, but given the severity of the situation he would make damn sure that girl didn't go back to her father. By any means necessary.

Sorry I'm dumb, what did you mean by the first born remark being a jibe at him? Simon has a younger sister, did he think this was indirectly a threat against her? I'll post my response to that once I'm sure. :)

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:07 pm
by Mephistophilis
'I hate to say it but I think Simon might be right, multiple copies of the same recording but with different special effects' sighs Bates.

I just thought Simon might think Balfour could know he is a first born and be trying to unsettle him, so threatening him rather than his sister - ignorant, of course, that Simon doesn't believe in such supernatural hogwash!

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:42 pm
by Philulhu
Kris glared at Simon. ”You’re really not helping!” he snapped.

He stabbed at the DVD eject button and pulled the second disc from the machine. As he loaded the third disc and pressed ‘Play’, he said, “With all due respect to Simon’s expertise, Lucy, but if he’s right and this is just ‘special effects’, how many pastors do you know who have made a horror film? Not the sort of thing you normally expect, is it?”

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:04 pm
by Silver Priest
"Forgive me Detective Sapru," Simon responds. "I just don't wish us to give into superstitious nonsense here." He says, already contextualizing the monster he just encountered into his "logical framework" "In any case, we are in agreement. Balfour is highly dangerous and skilled with mind games. He needs to be dealt with immediately.." He waits to see what's on the third dvd.

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:32 am
by Mr. Handy

"Hopefully the third one will have the best evidence," says Jocelyn, watching it.

Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:42 pm
by Mephistophilis
The third DVD again starts in the church, Balfour's wavering shape replaced by the wasted form of the angel.

As with the second DVD it turns to the camera and says, 'There is nothing that you can do, little men, nor you, little women.' After appearing right in front of the screen, 'I am coming. I am coming for you first born.'

Although it's clearly the same as the first two recordings there's something even more disturbing about this one, the angel seems consumed by hatred, its voice screeching, the red gaze burrowing into the consciousness, skin prickling and itching uncomfortably.

Simon, Jocelyn and Kris look down at their arms to see trickles of blood running down to the backs of their hands, their wounds stinging and sore.

The video does not stop. Instead the angel comes closer and closer to the screen, one skeletal talon outstretched. It seems so close, they can almost feel the chill air of the crypt, a musty smell of decay, like the screen is just a window.

Bates stifles a gasp as the angel's arm seems almost to project beyond the confines of the screen's frame...

There is a loud crack from behind them, the screen goes black and shatters. Turning they see PC Grey, his weapon raised. Ollie's mouth twitches at the corner. 'Sorry sarge, I accidentally discharged my weapon, want me to accidentally discharge it again?'

SAN 0/1d3

Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:55 pm
by Mr. Handy

After everything Jocelyn has seen already, this doesn't really faze her. "Am I still crazy?" she asks.

Sanity roll (current level 56) seeing the angel breach the screen:
d%

Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:18 pm
by Silver Priest
Simon shakes his head and frowns, rubbing at his wound. He must have opened it up while the video was playing.

"He's taunting us. The special effects are insane in their complexity, I'll give his church that. With Lindsay dead, he'll expect us to hand over Regina immediately-- and the media and your superiors in law enforcement will likely put tremendous pressure on you all to do so. But if he has her on Tuesday, he's going to unleash something horrible." He adjusts his glasses.

"If you don't have enough on Balfour yet, I hope we can all agree that returning his daughter to him is out of the question. I suggest shooting her in an extremity-- oh don't look at me like that. Balfour will kill her if he gets his paws on her, and if she was injured in her rescue it prevents him from touching her and gives us more time to stop him. And the hospital can patch her up without any lasting damage, almost certainly."

Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:40 pm
by Philulhu
SAN (68%) - 1d100

Kris breathed out with a sigh of relief. ”A bit careless with that safety catch, Ollie,” he said, with a more relaxed tone than he was actually feeling.

He looked to DS Bates. “Are you convinced yet, Lucy? With all respect to Simon, whether this is special effects or something real, there’s clearly something going on and Balfour’s church is involved. If you let that little girl go back to her parents, you’ll have her blood on your hands, and the blood of everyone else they kill as well!”

Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We are not shooting her," says Jocelyn. "We have enough to hold Balfour anyway. Just swear out a complaint of assault for starters. We'll make copies of the DVDs, and I'll forward a set to MI5. These terroristic threats should get their attention. Then we can hold both Balfours on national security grounds."

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:45 pm
by Mephistophilis

Bates's eyes widen and she goes white as a sheet. At Ollie's shot she shudders and her face takes on a crazed look, 'I don't know what the fuck just happened but I know there's something fucked up going on here.'

She reaches under the bed and grabs Regina's arm, hauling her out roughly 'We've only got a few minutes to find out what she knows before social services get here.'

The little girl screams, 'Get off, get off...'

'What is Balfour planning?' she shouts at the little girl, her face very close.

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Sergeant, what you're doing is not helping," says Jocelyn in a calming tone "She's five years old, and she's been through things no child should ever experience." She glances at Simon to indicate that he should try to talk some sense into Bates. "You're only hurting her more. Please, let go of her arm and let us talk to her." She speaks to Regina in the same tone. "It's all right, Regina, you're safe now. My name is Jocelyn. My friends and are here to protect you. I got shot rescuing you. We're not going to let anything else bad happen to you, but we need your help."

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:03 pm
by Philulhu
Kris put his hand on Lucy’s arm and gently tried to steer her away from Regina. ”She’s been through a lot but I’m sure she’ll try to help if she can,” he said. ”Let’s just give her a bit of space, shall we?”

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:08 am
by Silver Priest
Simon in comparison looks on in near approval; finally Bates was taking this seriously!

"She's been around her family long enough to get an idea of their plans, no doubt," He counters dispassionately. "Balfour sees her as critical to his church's doctrine, according to Lindsay her death will herald the beginning of his terror campaign. It's quite likely she has been raised within a place of honor within her father's cult and an emphasis of how special she is and her blessed mission.

He looks at the girl, trying to regard her with sympathy, but the fact was he disliked children as a rule and was suspicious that the young girl was fully indoctrinated into her father's cult, so his manner was more a stern headmaster than trusted confident. "Regina,I am a doctor and am here to help. You need to tell us what your father and Red Trumpet are planning for next Tuesday. Your father is in quite a bit of trouble and we need you to be honest with us if you want to save him from doing something very bad."

1d100 Persuade 30

1d100 Psychology 75 to read her, is she lying to us?

OOC:   My rolls were messed up as I accidentally copied the same one twice and messed up trying to fix it, but if you'd like I will take the 13 for persuade and the 79 for psychology, failing that roll. But up to you GM-- certainly Simon should probably have a penalty for speaking to this poor terrified child!  

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:52 am
by Mephistophilis

Regina pulls up her knees and hugs her arms tightly around them. 'Where's the other mean lady?' She looks sharply at Bates.

'My Daddy is not going to do anything bad, he's nice. Daddy is a minister. He talks to God, well, to the Passover Angel. That's a special angel who visits Daddy and tells him what God wants.'

Did you pass both rolls as far as you're concerned? I'm pretty sure we can trust each other here!

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:52 pm
by Mr. Handy

"If you mean Lindsay, she's gone," says Jocelyn, not wanting to say exactly what happened to her. "She'll never bother you again. Have you ever seen the Passover Angel?"

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:45 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Good, she was really grumpy, and she had a gun, and she took me away from Mummy and Daddy!' She looks quite angry.

'I want to go home now. The medicine made me sleepy, I'm tired. She was mean, meaner than last time.'

She seems to remember the question again, 'I've not seen the angel, Mummy and Daddy have. Daddy talks to the angel.'

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:05 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We need to have the doctors look at you first, to make sure you're okay," says Jocelyn. "I've seen the angel. So has Simon here. Would your daddy do whatever the angel told him to do, no matter what it was?"

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:47 pm
by Mephistophilis
'You've seen the angel?' she asks, genuinely excited.

'You must be good people too. So you know you have to do what God tells you. No matter what. You know my favourite story?' she asks, leaving a pause as if someone might have a guess.

'Daddy tells it to me every day. It is called 'The Binding of Isaac'. She sits up and starts recounting what seems like a well rehearsed story.

'Isaac was the son of Abraham and Abraham loved him a lot. God promised Isaac would have lots of children, but Isaac hadn't settled down, he was kind of a lazy one. So God tested Abraham’s faith. He said "Tie Isaac to a rock and kill him with a magic knife." That was just a test though; God wouldn't hurt Isaac and a special angel appeared and stopped Abraham. God rewarded Abraham for having faith, even believing God would bring Isaac back from the dead.'

She looks very pleased with herself. 'Daddy says this means we should always do what God says, even if it sounds crazy, because God always has a, an eff...an ineff...because God always has a big plan that we can't understand. And he always rewards you if you believe.'

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:57 pm
by Philulhu
Kris sat down on the floor so he was eye level with Regina. ”What did your Daddy say about the Passover Angel, sweetheart?” he asked.

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:05 pm
by Silver Priest

I'm pretty sure I passed persuade but failed psychology, so let's go with that.

Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:38 pm
by Mr. Handy

"We do have to do what God says," says Jocelyn, "but we also have to make sure that it's actually God talking. God won't say something that contradicts the Bible, which says the even the devil can masquerade as an angel of light. John wrote that we should try the spirits to make sure they are who they say they are. Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ came in the flesh is of God, and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ came in the flesh is not of God."

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:02 pm
by Mephistophilis
In response to Kris's question Regina says, 'Daddy says the angel tells him what God wants him to do. He says the end of the world is coming. He says God is going to punish all the bad people. When it happens I have to go to the shelter behind the church. I have to stay there until someone finds me.'

When Jocelyn starts talking Regina nods but it is not clear she's really understanding what is being said.

Simon tries to figure out how much Regina truly believes and how much she is just parroting from what her parents have said. She certainly doesn't seem too upset, she's a bit drowsy and slightly spaced out, but not exactly horrendously traumatised. She talks about the angel and the end of the world but Simon doubts she knows what that really entails. She seems to believe what her parents have told her with the credulity of youth, but when Jocelyn talks she looks baffled

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:25 pm
by Philulhu
”Why do you have to go to the shelter behind the church, Regina?” asked Kris. “What’s in there?”

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'm sure your daddy is good," says Jocelyn, "but what I'm getting at is that the angel could be the devil in disguise, and how would he even know? It could trick him into doing something bad, something he would never do otherwise."

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:15 am
by Silver Priest
Simon struggles to avoid rolling his eyes; Jocelyn was only encouraging the girl's fantasies, and by the sound of it she believed it herself. Pitiful.

"She's not too upset," He tells the others, ignoring Regina for the moment. "She's actually showcasing rather strong mental fortitude. But I don't believe she understands most of what she's saying but is parroting her family's lessons. She's not understanding you though, Jocelyn.."

"Child, has your father mentioned anything special lately? Has he been referring to the story of Issac more or suggesting he'ed need to be tested like that soon?"

Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think the problem was that I was talking to her like I'd talk to another adult," says Jocelyn. "I'd forgotten what it was like to be five years old."

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:24 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Daddy told me not to talk about the shelter...' says Regina, but then she smiles, 'But you're good people, you saved me from the mean lady and you know all about God. The shelter has food and water and stuff like that. Daddy says we can stay there for days, maybe weeks or more. When the ap...apoc...the end of the world comes.''

In response to Simon she gives him a quizzical look, 'Daddy says the angel is coming next week. That's when he will be tested, that's when we'll all be tested. You knew that didn't you?'

-----

There's a knock on the door, or at least, what is left of the door, and PC Babcock enters with two paramedics.

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, Regina, we knew that," says Jocelyn. "It's supposed to be Tuesday. Do you know what time?" She turns when she hears the knock. "Thank you, we could use some help. I took a shotgun blast to the chest, but my vest absorbed some of the damage."

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:17 pm
by Silver Priest
"I think we've heard enough," Simon tells Bates in a hushed tone. "They've made terroristic threats and are prepared for something to happen on Tuesday. I'm guessing if we raid the Balfour compound we'd find plenty of chemical weapons and the like for the little stunt they're planning."

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"Where is the shelter?" Jocelyn asks Regina.

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:03 pm
by Mephistophilis
The paramedics fuss around Jocelyn and Regina, who continues to prattle on, seemingly happy to find people who want to show her some attention.

'Yes, Tuesday. I don't know what time, Mummy says I'm not good at time. But when it gets dark. And the shelter is behind the church, you know, Daddy's church.'

Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:34 pm
by Philulhu
Kris pulled DS Bates to one side. ”What do you want us to do, Lucy?” he asked. “Go and take a look at this bunker now, or wait until Tuesday and catch them in the act?”

“If you want my opinion,” he continued, not waiting for her to reply, “I think we need to take a look now, before he can cover his tracks. You might tell him we’ve found Regina and she’s being taken to a hospital to lure him away from the church so we can have a clear run at it.”

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:42 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Regina," says Jocelyn. "Let's let the nice paramedics look us over. You're not hurt, are you?"

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:49 pm
by Mephistophilis

Bates still looks frazzled and she's easily guided by Kris. 'Regina needs to be assessed in hospital, that's going to take a while. Then she needs to be seen and debriefed by social services. Her parents will go straight over to the hospital but I can have some officers keep them away. I think we should hold off showing our hand and arresting them but it should be pretty straightforward to get a warrant to search the church and this shelter.'

She looks at Regina who is sitting innocently on the bed, swinging her legs as the paramedic shines a torch in her eyes. We're going to need to interview her properly, before she goes back to her parents, nothing she's told us now will be admissible in court. She'll need an Appropriate Adult...' Ollie leans in and interrupts, 'Pity you didn't keep the social worker alive,' his big grin implies he thinks he's rather funny.

'Shut up Grey' spits Bates, 'Secure the scene until forensics get here.'

-----

The paramedic looking at Jocelyn finishes his examination, 'I don't think anything's broken but I'd like you to get checked out at the hospital, get an x-ray at least.'

Anything else you guys want to do here or will we all move to investigating the church? Anything you want to do before hand?

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:06 pm
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn nods.

I'd like to get copies of the DVDs made and sent to MI5, along with a summary of what Lindsay told us about Balfour's plans.

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:50 pm
by Philulhu
Kris gave Ollie a scornful look, but didn’t say anything. Turning back to DS Bates he said, ”It’s imperative that you keep Regina out of harm’s way.” He glanced at the girl and said quietly, “Especially out of her parents’ hands. Make sure whoever is watching over her is properly briefed.”

He looked around the room for Lindsay's phone, hoping to find any messages or other information on there.

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
Lindsay has no phone..post amended

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:46 am
by Silver Priest
"If you requires any assistance I am happy to lend my expertise," says Simon on the matter of interviewing Regina. "Or her parents for that matter. Given how Reverend Balfour acted the last time I seem to be able to get under his skin. We may be able to get a reaction from him."

He looks towards Jocelyn. "I understand your desire to continue working, but it will probably take a few hours to get the warrants we need to search the Balfour's. I suggest you get checked out while we wait."

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks, I'll do that," says Jocelyn.

Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:31 pm
by Philulhu
While Kris was looking for the non-existent phone, did he find anything else of interest?

Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:46 pm
by Mephistophilis
Putting the lights on full and searching the hotel room as best he can, Kris can't find a phone. There's a DVD player and a stash of children's DVDs. Various prepackaged junk food, some sedative over-the-counter medication, lots of cans (both empty and full) of energy drinks. And of course a Gideon Bible under her pillow, open face down to Exodus 11-12.

While Jocelyn goes to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford with the ambulance crew, Kris, Simon, and Bates drive back to the police station in High Wycombe to make copies of the DVDs, prepare their reports, and secure a warrant for the Balfour church. Regina is also taken to the hospital.

We won't roleplay the hospital scene so everyone will meet up in the station in a few hours. Jocelyn gain 1 HP for treatment in hospital. Simon, let me know, is he still taking his medication?

Medicine 60%: 1d100 24 Heal 1d3: 1d3 1

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:20 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn also forwards her report to MI5, giving the facts of what Lindsay said and summarizing the contents of the DVDs, and letting them know that Balfour has selected Tuesday night for the apocalypse.

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:39 am
by Silver Priest
Simon had encountered a terrifying sight in the motel room and in watching the DVD's, but he knows it was all carefully constructed by Balfour and his church. Still, he is now fully convinced that the man seeks to unleash a terrorist attack he views as the start of bringing about the end times-- and with the advanced CGI and materials he had to have access to, not to mention the hints of chemical warfare the group had already experienced, he had no doubt the attack would be devastating. He spends the time waiting for the warrant pacing about, ranting to Bates whenever he can about the danger John poses and the need to keep Regina away from him. The medicine would only slow him down, and it's not as though he needs chemical help to maintain rationality. He does not take it.

"Do we know how big Balfour's church membership is?" He asks Kris. "I recall you saying that Mrs. Balfour was speaking to someone on the phone saying they needed to change something. It's safe to assume most of them are dedicated to whatever mad plot the good reverend's cooked up, especially with the kind of technology they are using to sell it."

Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:47 pm
by Philulhu
”I’m not sure,” replied Kris. The church had looked busy on the video they had watched but he wasn’t in a hurry to watch it again to confirm that. “You could check the church website, but they’re unlikely to show pictures of a half-empty church - hardly good advertising.”

He turned to DS Bates. “When we called to the house, Mrs Balfour was talking to someone about changing their plans, so someone else obviously knows what they’re planning to do. If we could get a warrant to access her phone records, we might be able to find who that is and put pressure on them to tell us what Balfour’s up to.”