IC - 18 - Siege - Everyone

6.30pm Thursday 11th March 2010, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.

A five-year old girl, Regina Balfour, is kidnapped in broad daylight from the Eden Shopping Centre, while her mother’s back is momentarily turned. Left behind is her ladybird shaped backpack, which contained supplies for her insulin pump. She needs her medication to live more than a few days, and her condition will rapidly deteriorate without it...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC - 18 - Siege - Everyone

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We need to have the doctors look at you first, to make sure you're okay," says Jocelyn. "I've seen the angel. So has Simon here. Would your daddy do whatever the angel told him to do, no matter what it was?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

'You've seen the angel?' she asks, genuinely excited.

'You must be good people too. So you know you have to do what God tells you. No matter what. You know my favourite story?' she asks, leaving a pause as if someone might have a guess.

'Daddy tells it to me every day. It is called 'The Binding of Isaac'. She sits up and starts recounting what seems like a well rehearsed story.

'Isaac was the son of Abraham and Abraham loved him a lot. God promised Isaac would have lots of children, but Isaac hadn't settled down, he was kind of a lazy one. So God tested Abraham’s faith. He said "Tie Isaac to a rock and kill him with a magic knife." That was just a test though; God wouldn't hurt Isaac and a special angel appeared and stopped Abraham. God rewarded Abraham for having faith, even believing God would bring Isaac back from the dead.'

She looks very pleased with herself. 'Daddy says this means we should always do what God says, even if it sounds crazy, because God always has a, an eff...an ineff...because God always has a big plan that we can't understand. And he always rewards you if you believe.'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Kris sat down on the floor so he was eye level with Regina. ”What did your Daddy say about the Passover Angel, sweetheart?” he asked.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

I'm pretty sure I passed persuade but failed psychology, so let's go with that.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We do have to do what God says," says Jocelyn, "but we also have to make sure that it's actually God talking. God won't say something that contradicts the Bible, which says the even the devil can masquerade as an angel of light. John wrote that we should try the spirits to make sure they are who they say they are. Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ came in the flesh is of God, and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ came in the flesh is not of God."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

In response to Kris's question Regina says, 'Daddy says the angel tells him what God wants him to do. He says the end of the world is coming. He says God is going to punish all the bad people. When it happens I have to go to the shelter behind the church. I have to stay there until someone finds me.'

When Jocelyn starts talking Regina nods but it is not clear she's really understanding what is being said.

Simon tries to figure out how much Regina truly believes and how much she is just parroting from what her parents have said. She certainly doesn't seem too upset, she's a bit drowsy and slightly spaced out, but not exactly horrendously traumatised. She talks about the angel and the end of the world but Simon doubts she knows what that really entails. She seems to believe what her parents have told her with the credulity of youth, but when Jocelyn talks she looks baffled
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Why do you have to go to the shelter behind the church, Regina?” asked Kris. “What’s in there?”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm sure your daddy is good," says Jocelyn, "but what I'm getting at is that the angel could be the devil in disguise, and how would he even know? It could trick him into doing something bad, something he would never do otherwise."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Simon struggles to avoid rolling his eyes; Jocelyn was only encouraging the girl's fantasies, and by the sound of it she believed it herself. Pitiful.

"She's not too upset," He tells the others, ignoring Regina for the moment. "She's actually showcasing rather strong mental fortitude. But I don't believe she understands most of what she's saying but is parroting her family's lessons. She's not understanding you though, Jocelyn.."

"Child, has your father mentioned anything special lately? Has he been referring to the story of Issac more or suggesting he'ed need to be tested like that soon?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think the problem was that I was talking to her like I'd talk to another adult," says Jocelyn. "I'd forgotten what it was like to be five years old."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Daddy told me not to talk about the shelter...' says Regina, but then she smiles, 'But you're good people, you saved me from the mean lady and you know all about God. The shelter has food and water and stuff like that. Daddy says we can stay there for days, maybe weeks or more. When the ap...apoc...the end of the world comes.''

In response to Simon she gives him a quizzical look, 'Daddy says the angel is coming next week. That's when he will be tested, that's when we'll all be tested. You knew that didn't you?'

-----

There's a knock on the door, or at least, what is left of the door, and PC Babcock enters with two paramedics.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Yes, Regina, we knew that," says Jocelyn. "It's supposed to be Tuesday. Do you know what time?" She turns when she hears the knock. "Thank you, we could use some help. I took a shotgun blast to the chest, but my vest absorbed some of the damage."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"I think we've heard enough," Simon tells Bates in a hushed tone. "They've made terroristic threats and are prepared for something to happen on Tuesday. I'm guessing if we raid the Balfour compound we'd find plenty of chemical weapons and the like for the little stunt they're planning."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Where is the shelter?" Jocelyn asks Regina.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The paramedics fuss around Jocelyn and Regina, who continues to prattle on, seemingly happy to find people who want to show her some attention.

'Yes, Tuesday. I don't know what time, Mummy says I'm not good at time. But when it gets dark. And the shelter is behind the church, you know, Daddy's church.'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris pulled DS Bates to one side. ”What do you want us to do, Lucy?” he asked. “Go and take a look at this bunker now, or wait until Tuesday and catch them in the act?”

“If you want my opinion,” he continued, not waiting for her to reply, “I think we need to take a look now, before he can cover his tracks. You might tell him we’ve found Regina and she’s being taken to a hospital to lure him away from the church so we can have a clear run at it.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Regina," says Jocelyn. "Let's let the nice paramedics look us over. You're not hurt, are you?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Bates still looks frazzled and she's easily guided by Kris. 'Regina needs to be assessed in hospital, that's going to take a while. Then she needs to be seen and debriefed by social services. Her parents will go straight over to the hospital but I can have some officers keep them away. I think we should hold off showing our hand and arresting them but it should be pretty straightforward to get a warrant to search the church and this shelter.'

She looks at Regina who is sitting innocently on the bed, swinging her legs as the paramedic shines a torch in her eyes. We're going to need to interview her properly, before she goes back to her parents, nothing she's told us now will be admissible in court. She'll need an Appropriate Adult...' Ollie leans in and interrupts, 'Pity you didn't keep the social worker alive,' his big grin implies he thinks he's rather funny.

'Shut up Grey' spits Bates, 'Secure the scene until forensics get here.'

-----

The paramedic looking at Jocelyn finishes his examination, 'I don't think anything's broken but I'd like you to get checked out at the hospital, get an x-ray at least.'

Anything else you guys want to do here or will we all move to investigating the church? Anything you want to do before hand?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jocelyn nods.

I'd like to get copies of the DVDs made and sent to MI5, along with a summary of what Lindsay told us about Balfour's plans.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris gave Ollie a scornful look, but didn’t say anything. Turning back to DS Bates he said, ”It’s imperative that you keep Regina out of harm’s way.” He glanced at the girl and said quietly, “Especially out of her parents’ hands. Make sure whoever is watching over her is properly briefed.”

He looked around the room for Lindsay's phone, hoping to find any messages or other information on there.

Return to “Ladybird, Ladybird, Fly Away Home”