IC - 16 - Day 3 - Kris

6.30pm Thursday 11th March 2010, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.

A five-year old girl, Regina Balfour, is kidnapped in broad daylight from the Eden Shopping Centre, while her mother’s back is momentarily turned. Left behind is her ladybird shaped backpack, which contained supplies for her insulin pump. She needs her medication to live more than a few days, and her condition will rapidly deteriorate without it...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: IC - 16 - Day 3 - Kris

Post by Mephistophilis »

The controller tells Kris that Maria is not on any UK records but immigration confirm she entered the UK at Gatwick Airport on the 10th March having arrived from Madrid.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”Can you take a look at I 24/7?” Kris asked the controller. “See if the Spanish Police have anything on her.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Interpol, Jesus, if you insist.' The controller rings back after 20mins and informs Kris that there's nothing on Maria Moreno.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

While Kris was waiting for the controller to call him back, he had a look for Lindsay Peale and Maria Moreno on social media, trying to find out what he could about the, particularly if they knew each other in any way.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Maria Isabel Guillén Moreno (as her passport says) is difficult for Kris to track down as most sites are in Spanish. However, he thinks he might has identified her as a graduate student studying economics in Madrid. As far as he can tell there is no connection between her social media (or other online presence) and Lindsay Peale.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Are there any other ways out of the room, other than through the door?” Kris asked the receptionist. “No fire escape or anything like that?”

“If not, then I’d like to come with me and bring your pass key. I need to have a word with Miss Moreno.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'It's not a big hostel mate, only one way in or out the dorm, but we do have a fire exit out the back, from the main corridor.' He checks his ledger, 'Miss Moreno's out at the moment, you know, seeing the sights, I could let you into the dorm but, well, do you need a warrant or something?'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris was confused - out seeing the sights didn’t sound like your average burglar.

Shaking his head, he replied, ”Normally I would but time’s of the essence.”

“A young girl’s been kidnapped and her life’s in danger. I don’t have time to go through all the rigmarole so if I can have two minutes to carry out a quick check then I can either arrest her or eliminate her from my enquiries, OK?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The receptionist hesitates for a moment then nods and leads Kris past a kitchen area into a dormitory. 'This is the women-only dorm' he says and points Kris towards a bed. It is unmade and a holdall bag sits on the end, overflowing with clothes.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Instructing the receptionist to keep an eye out, Kris moved to the side of the bed opposite the door so if Moreno returned, he wouldn’t be caught off-guard.

Reckoning that removing the clothes from the bag would leave tell-tale signs, he carefully slid his hands down the sides of the backpack and between the layers of clothes, checking for anything that might suggest she was involved in the burglary, kidnapping or whatever. That done, he turned his attention to the pockets of the backpack, checking the contents, before quickly checking under the pillow of the bed, then feeling under the mattress.
OOC,Kris’ aim is to be thorough but not to take too long about it. Spot hidden (40% - if required) - 0 Do the guests have lockers?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Sliding his hands into the bag, Kris feels around for anything solid, and he also checks the pockets. Apart from some sanitary products and a battered paperback of Brideshead Revisited in English, there is nothing obvious.
OOC,There are lockers, I suggest some kind of social roll, with advantage since you're a police officer
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Social roll? (And I’m assuming that ’with advantage’ means a bonus dice?)
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,Charm/Fast Talk/Persuade, however you plan to play it. And yeah, bonus die, mixing up my RPG systems
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Persuade (55%) - 0 Bonus dice - 1
Kris carefully re-packed the bag and looked over to the receptionist. “Your guests have lockers, right? Let me take just a quick look inside hers and If it isn’t the person I’m looking for, then I’ll get outta your hair.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The receptionist looks Kris up and down with a pained expression. 'Okay, okay, come on, have a quick look.'

He takes Kris back out to the corridor where there are several lockers secured with padlocks. He takes out a key and unlocks one. Inside there is a passport, the original of the photocopy Kris has already seen, along with a purse containing some Euros and a few credit and debit cards in the name of Maria Moreno.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

It seemed strange to Kris that someone would go sightseeing without her purse. How was she going to pay for anything?

He took a closer look in the locker, running his hand around the inside, in case he had missed anything.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kris could find nothing more. He noted there was no sterling in the purse, perhaps she has another one.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris put the purse and passport back in the locker and thanked the receptionist. Moreno’s behaviour seemed odd but thus far, he had nothing to link her to a crime. Certainly nothing the the CPS wouldn’t just dismiss out of hand.

Deciding that speaking to her would probably clear things up as quickly as anything, Kris headed out of the hotel to look for a vantage point where he might watch out for her, for a while at least. He was hoping for a coffee shop - drinking your coffee âl fresco seemed to be all the range at the moment...
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Nothing useful overlooks the Central Backpackers but there is a trendy coffee shop nextdoor. No al fresco seating unfortunately. Kris orders a coffee and sits by the window looking out into the street.
OOC,Roll Luck
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Luck (41%) - 0

Return to “Ladybird, Ladybird, Fly Away Home”