IC - 14 - Happy Cafe - Jocelyn & Simon

6.30pm Thursday 11th March 2010, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.

A five-year old girl, Regina Balfour, is kidnapped in broad daylight from the Eden Shopping Centre, while her mother’s back is momentarily turned. Left behind is her ladybird shaped backpack, which contained supplies for her insulin pump. She needs her medication to live more than a few days, and her condition will rapidly deteriorate without it...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

IC - 14 - Happy Cafe - Jocelyn & Simon

Post by Mephistophilis »

6.30pm Friday 12th March 2010, Happy Cafe, High Wycombe

Twenty four hours since Regina Balfour was abducted.

After taking a few shortcuts and driving ever so slightly faster than is strictly legal, Jocelyn and Simon reach High Wycombe.

They arrive into a grungier part of town where the Happy Cafe is situated. It still appears to be open. Inside are a few grimy looking men in overalls drinking strong tea from chipped mugs. Kris doesn't seem to have arrived yet.

Behind the counter stands a fat woman with a sour looking expression. Most of the display cases are now empty, with only a few soggy looking sandwiches left. She is busying herself wiping down the worktop.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: IC - 14 - Happy Cafe - Jocelyn & Simon

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I was thinking," says Jocelyn, "We know Lindsay Peale's email address, and we've got a good idea she's been checking it. Maybe we can use it to communicate with her. We can send her an email, let her know that we have the medicine Regina needs, and arrange to deliver it to her. We'll have to talk it over with DC Sapru when he arrives."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"This place doesn't strike me as all that happy," Simon offers.

"It's a good plan," He tells Jocelyn. "Though I would mention at least some of our suspicions about Balfour-- perhaps Red Trumpet would do the trick, or that we know he poisoned Lewiston. Even if we're wrong, if it gets Reginia back we can always say that we said what we had to to gain her confidence."

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I doubt she's even heard of Red Trumpet," says Jocelyn, "but we can say that we know Balfour's running a doomsday cult, and that we want to protect Regina. We'll work out the exact wording of the email when Sapru gets here. We can also embed a tracking device in the backpack with the medicine. That will lead us right to her."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Simon nods in approval, then looks in at the sad state of the restaurant's stock. "I'm glad we've already eaten."
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,You don't have to wait for Kris to ask questions. Obviously you're not the police so it might be more difficult to get things out of people
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

OOC,Ask questions of whom? The next thing I want to do is send the email, but I want [b]Kris[/b]'s input on the wording before we send it. I also want to get a tracking device and have it hidden in the backpack that contains the medicine, perhaps sewn into it.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Deciding to kill some time, Simon enters the cafe and orders a soda. Then he turns on the charm and asks the sour looking woman if she and Lewiston had known each other. He's not expecting much, but maybe a smile and a purchase would go a long way.
Charm 15%,[dice]0[/dice]
Not being the most charming person, he inadvertently offends her.

"The health inspector has come around recently, correct? This place seems a bit dirty. Perhaps it's not something a woman such as yourself notices. So, yes, back to Mr. Lewiston, what did you know about him, my dear?"
OOC:   With a 100 I had to add a bit of flair to this. :lol:  
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The woman narrows her eyes at Simon's clumsy attempts at small talk. 'What's it to you?' she asks in a west country accent. Before Simon can even answere she harrumphs 'We're closing soon' and turns away from him.

A couple of men in the corner are quietly laughing into their mugs of tea.
OOC:   Oh yes, lay it on thick with a roll of 100  
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Ears bright red, Simon retreats outside.

"Rather hostile crowd in there." He admits. "I don't think we'll be getting any clues in there, unless you want to give it a try."
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Time is ticking on. It is about 6.45pm and Kris has still not arrived which is surprising as he had a much shorter distance to travel coming from Aylesbury.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Something's gone wrong," says Jocelyn, taking out her phone and calling Kris. "He should have been here by now. I hope it's not another cow."
OOC,Maybe I've forgotten something, but I'm not sure why we came here other than as a place to meet.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Jocelyn,You can post in this thread to talk to Kris: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=469&t=7225&p=243201#p243201[/url]
OOC,If you're not sure what there might be to find out you can ask Kris or look at his notes: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=469&t=7248#p242576[/url]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jocelyn fills in Simon on the phone call and looks in the window to see if she can see anyone who has neck tattoos.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Simon perks up at hearing about the book, and abetter preserved copy at that. "As soon as he arrives I need to go check this out. Whatever Balfour is hiding in his little screed, I am quite confident I can decipher. Though I will remain away from water just in case."
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The same grimy looking men are sitting in the café. No one has anything as interesting as a neck tattoo. The grumpy looking woman is starting to clear tables and stack the empty chairs.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm going to try talking to her while we're waiting," says Jocelyn. She enters the café and approaches the woman. "Pardon me. May I ask you a few questions, please?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The woman is short and round with a riot of dark brown curls on her head. She looks grumpy but smiles when she answers in a broad west country accent, 'Hello my lover, I'm afraid we're closing soon, and we've had a lot of looky-loos today so I'm a bit reluctant to say too much.'
OOC,After Simon's catastrophic interaction you'll need a successful social role and appropriate dialogue - if it's good I'll adds a bonus die
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm Jocelyn Leigh," says Jocelyn. "I'm consulting with the police on the Regina Balfour abduction. One of her kidnappers, the one killed at the scene, was a man named George Lewiston, but you probably knew him better by the alias he was using, Zac Newman. He was known to frequent this café. It's very important that we find out everything we can about him and who he had contact with as soon as possible. Regina is diabetic, and her kidnappers did not get her insulin. She's been missing for a day now, and her life is in danger unless we can find her and get her insulin to her quickly. Please help us with our inquiries."
OOC,Persuade roll (60% skill) to get the woman to open up about [b]Lewiston[/b]: [dice]0[/dice]
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Her face brightens up, 'Oh, no problem my darling. My name is Simone, Simone Wellington, I own the Happy Caffe.'

She looks down at Jocelyn's red forearms from where she's been scratching, 'Ooh, bit of eczema my luvver, I has the same problem' and she shows hrler hands which are cracked and red.

'I never knew 'ee was called Zac, or Lewiston, only George, I only heard his surname was Lewiston when that lady from the news came round. Anyways, George is...was a regular here, came in every day, same time, just like clockwork, you could set your watch by him. He was in on Thursday just like every morning. Full English, like he does every day.

So, like I was saying to that reporter lady, there must have been some kind of mistake, George is...was a lovely man, bit quiet, but lovely. I don't believe he had anything to do with that little girl disappearing.'

Return to “Ladybird, Ladybird, Fly Away Home”