IC - 13 - Social Services - Kris

6.30pm Thursday 11th March 2010, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.

A five-year old girl, Regina Balfour, is kidnapped in broad daylight from the Eden Shopping Centre, while her mother’s back is momentarily turned. Left behind is her ladybird shaped backpack, which contained supplies for her insulin pump. She needs her medication to live more than a few days, and her condition will rapidly deteriorate without it...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: IC - 13 - Social Services - Kris

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Her phone's not been on since Thursday morning, looks like it was located in or near her flat. Then nothing' says Bates.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

“She might have a burner,” said Kris. “Is there any evidence from her bank account that she bought one, or even if she has spent any money in the last couple of days?”
Last edited by Philulhu on Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Nothing at all the last few days' says Bates.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris sighed and slumped onto his elbows. ”I’m at a loss, Lucy,” he admitted. “I thought we had a breakthrough with the emails but it’s another dead end.”

He paused for a moment, then said, “We could try sending her an email to see if she picks it up? That might give us an idea of where she is. Other than that, I’m not sure where we go.”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,If you're at a loss for leads you could try an Idea roll or have a look back at any leads from earlier you've not chased up yet
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Could I have a separate thread for Kris’ notes? I’ve been through and collated as much info as I can.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,Here you go: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?uid=6749&f=469&t=7248&start=0#p242574[/url]
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Let me go over my notes then I’ll come back to you,” said Kris. He ended the call and pulled out his notebook. Flipping back to the start of the investigation - was it only yesterday? - he started reading, making notes on his phone as he did so.

Thirty minutes and an extra coffee later, he closed his notebook and recapped the notes on his phone. He dialled Lucy’s number again, and waited for her to answer.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

As he sits at his table waiting for Lucy to answer, Kris watches the silent television and sees there is a report from the Global News Service (GNS). The ever present reporter Julie Thomas, with her American news-style big hair and heavy make-up, looks out of place interviewing someone in what appears to be an old fashioned greasy spoon.

Bates eventually picks up, 'Kris?'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Can you hold on a moment, Lucy?” Kris said. Julie Thomas looks to be reporting from Lewiston’s favourite cafe...”

He stood up and walked over to the television. He flashed his warrant card in the direction of the counter. “Can you turn this up, please?” he asked.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The young woman behind the counter scrabbles around to try and find the remote control.

Meanwhile Kris sees Julie Thomas interviewing a short, round woman who seems to be called 'Simon Walligham' (assuming the automatic subtitles are accurate). She mentions having seen 'George' on the morning of the 11th of March for 'his usual full English breakfast'. It is difficult to make out much more of what she says as the subtitles descend into nonsense for a few sentences, 'gorge combs in every moaning and today want any...front but...did have sum...and the lawn say don't mow says...will I bring one play more up on far oh and up on Egypt...'

By the time the sound is audible the camera is pulling away from the café and Kris thinks he can just about make out the name 'Happy Cafe'.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Sorry,” said Kris, talking to Lucy again. Julie Thomas was reporting from The Happy Cafe - George Lewiston’s favourite hangout before everything went to shit...”

He went back to sit at his table, looking at his notes again. ”I’ve been through my notes and there are a few lines of enquiry we haven’t followed up yet. The cafe is one, so I’ll head over this afternoon. Hopefully the reporter will have cleared off by then.”

“The SOCO was going to search Lindsay Peale’s apartment - did they find anything? Also John ‘Johnny Zero’ Allen - a gang member with previous for drugs and firearms - was a known associate of Balfour. Well, he attended his church, anyway, which seems a bit strange given his track record. Have we got any intel on him?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

DS Bates answers, 'They didn't find anything useful at Lindsay Peale's place. Obviously they're still running things like DNA and fingerprints but I'm not optimistic.'

She continues, 'It's funny you should mention Johnny Zero, there was a breakin earlier today, George Lewiston's house, someone turned it upside down, like maybe they were looking for something.

Anyway, witnesses report someone who sounds a lot like the description we have of Mr Zero, right down to the snake tattoo on his neck. We're looking for him now but I've talked to a few contacts in the Met and they say that he was pretty big in the gang scene a few years ago but as far as they're concerned he's found god and gone straight, does youth outreach work, that sort of thing.'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”It sounds like he may have wandered from his path,” said Kris, dryly. “Burglary’s not the sort of thing your average youth worker gets involved in.”

He thought for a moment. ”Ok, I’m going back to the social services office for one last look through the files and then I’ll hit The Happy Cafe. If you hear anything else about Johnny Zero can you let me know?”
OOC,Kris’ plan of action is a quick check on the other files to make sure that notes about the [b]Balfour[/b] case haven’t been hidden in one of the others, then visit the cafe if there’s enough time before it closes (I’m not sure what time it is in game time).
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

After talking to Bates, Kris leaves the sandwich place and heads back to the Social Services office. He looks through a selection of Lindsay's old case files. These are much more like Kris would expect, full of notes, correspondence, reports, and so on. However, he does not find any sign of information from the Balfour case.

It is getting on for 6pm as he heads back to his car. He doesn't know what time the Happy Cafe shuts but takes a gamble that it might still be open in the next half an hour when he gets back to High Wycombe. He receives a phone call from Jocelyn suggesting they meet up in Aylesbury but he points her to the Happy Cafe.

-----

As Kris returns to collect his car he has a strange feeling, like the hairs on the back of his neck standing up.
OOC,Roll Spot Hidden. Incidentally, for future reference, I'm assuming everyone wears a seatbelt as this is the UK, unless you tell me otherwise.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Spot Hidden,Spot Hidden (40%) - [dice]0[/dice]
Kris paused as he approached his car. Something didn’t feel right...
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kris looks around but doesn't see anything unusual. He shrugs off the odd feeling and gets into his car. He drives out of the centre of Aylesbury and out into the countryside onto the Missenden Road towards High Wycombe.

After a few miles he begins to notice the car behind him. It is a blue SUV which has been in his mirror for the last mile or so. It is driving very close and seems a little erratic in its road positioning, swerving out wide then pulling back in again. Initially Kris thinks it wants to overtake him but it never takes the opportunity.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Is it still light outside?nwhat are the weather conditions? I assume that the car is equipped with a radio or Bluetooth for a phone?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The weather is fine but overcast and the sky is starting to darken as the sun approaches the horizon.
OOC,This'd be something like a 2008 Corsa so I think it is unlikely to have a Bluetooth connection. It is also unlikely to have a radio since it is a CID car. Roll Luck to see if Kris has a little hands free mount for his phone set up in the car.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Luck,Luck (47%) - [dice]0[/dice]
Kris realised that his phone was in his pocket and he didn’t fancy trying to root around for it with the car behind him swerving about...

Return to “Ladybird, Ladybird, Fly Away Home”