IC - 13 - Social Services - Kris

6.30pm Thursday 11th March 2010, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.

A five-year old girl, Regina Balfour, is kidnapped in broad daylight from the Eden Shopping Centre, while her mother’s back is momentarily turned. Left behind is her ladybird shaped backpack, which contained supplies for her insulin pump. She needs her medication to live more than a few days, and her condition will rapidly deteriorate without it...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: IC - 13 - Social Services - Kris

Post by Mephistophilis »

The SUV continues to stick close behind Kris's CID Vauxhall Corsa through the winding country roads. Peering into his mirror Kris thinks he might be able to just make out the driver in the glare of the headlights.
OOC,Roll Spot Hidden to see the driver
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Spot Hidden (40%) - [dice]0[/dice]
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Sitting behind the wheel of the SUV, an intense look on his face, Kris can clearly see John Balfour.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris sighed. He’d guessed it was Balfour, given that it was a blue SUV. He looked ahead for somewhere to pull over, hit the button for his hazards and eased off the accelerator, ready to pull over.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Balfour slows down and pulls alongside Kris. He winds down the passenger window and shouts across to him, 'Is there a problem Detective Sapru?'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,Going to try Psychology (30%) to see if Kris can determine the mood of Balfour - [dice]0[/dice] Edit: Well, that didn’t work...
Kris looked at Balfour and pointed to the side of the road in front of his car. “Pull your car over and switch off the engine,” he said.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kris looks across at Balfour. He is gripping the steering wheel tightly, his knuckles white. His face looks intense but Kris can't read him.
OOC,Balfour POW 90% [dice]0[/dice]
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

After an unsettlingly long pause, Balfour pulls over and turns off the engine. He remains in the car, staring out through the windscreen.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris studied the vehicle for moment, then dialled Lucy’s number...
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Bates answers, 'Kris?'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Hi, Lucy,” said Kris, more calmly than he felt. “Listen, I’m on the Misseden Road, approaching Wycombe from the north. John Balfour was tailing me, driving erratically, so I’ve pulled him over and I’m about to go and speak to him. I’m going to keep this line open, ok?”

As he spoke he got out and headed to the back of his car, to get his tac belt from the boot.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Sure, no problem. How does he look, is he being aggressive? Look, Kris, you don't have to do this, I can send a car over from Aylesbury, they could be there in ten minutes'

While Kris leaves his car and walks around to open the boot Balfour remains sitting in his car.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Send the car please, Lucy,” said Kris. “He looks a bit agitated but he’s just sat in his car at the moment.”

Kris popped open the boot and pulled out his tac belt, which he quickly fastened around his waist, checking he had his cuffs and CS gas, his torch and his Asp. “I’m just going to put you in my top pocket, Lucy. Hopefully you’ll still be able to hear me,” he said as he put the phone in the breast pocket of his jacket. He then flicked on his torch, and started to make his way along the grass verge, towards the rear of Balfour’s car.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Balfour continues to sit, immobile, in his car. Facing forwards, staring out into the twilight, his headlights illuminating the road ahead. As Kris draws alongside he sees both the driver and passenger side windows are down.
Keeper rolls,POW 90% [dice]0[/dice],[dice]1[/dice]
Balfour's head slowly turns towards Kris. His face is streaked with tears and his eyes are red and puffy. 'Detective Sapru. How can I help you?' he asks in a broken voice.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

OOC,For clarification, Kris approached from the passenger side. Not normal behaviour but he didn’t want to get caught if Balfour decided to drive off or if another car came by.
”What are you doing out here, Mr Balfour?” asked Kris, shining his torch through the car window. “Are you following me?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Balfour looks across the interior of his car to Kris, who is standing on the passenger side. His voice is cracked and raw, 'I am just looking to assist you in any way I can.'
Keeper rolls,POW 90% [dice]0[/dice]
His eyes well up for a moment. 'Anything I can do to help find my little girl.' Kris can see clearly that Balfour is distressed and barely holding it together.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”We understand that you’re worried about Regina, Mr Balfour,” said Kris soothingly. “But we’re doing everything we can to try and find her. In the meantime, you’d be better off at home rather than driving around out here. Given the stress you’re under, I think we’ll get one of my colleagues to come and pick you up, OK?”
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Balfour doesn't say anymore. He just presses his forehead against the steering wheel.
Keeper roll,POW90% [dice]0[/dice], penalty die [dice]1[/dice]
After a few more minutes a patrol car arrives from the Aylesbury direction and two uniformed officers get out. They approach Kris who is still standing beside Balfour's car, uncertainly, looking at the still figure of the reverend.

'This the girl's father?' asks one of the officers sympathetically, while the other opens the driver's door and moves beside Balfour. 'Don't worry detective, we can deal with this.'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Step out of the car, please, Mr Balfour,” said Kris, opening the passenger side door and leaning in, with one hand on the passenger seat while he beckoned to Balfour to give him the keys.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

OOC,Just changed my last entry slightly so Kris can go to the passenger door, since it doesn't matter which side the police officers go
Balfour turns off the ignition and hands his keys to Kris.
Keeper rolls,POW90% [dice]0[/dice], setback die [dice]1[/dice]
He sits up straighter, seeming to pull himself together a little. 'Are you arresting me Detective Sapru?' he asks as he steps out of the car. One of the uniformed officers standing close behind him and looking to Kris for direction.

Return to “Ladybird, Ladybird, Fly Away Home”