IC - 9 - The Niece - Everyone

6.30pm Thursday 11th March 2010, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.

A five-year old girl, Regina Balfour, is kidnapped in broad daylight from the Eden Shopping Centre, while her mother’s back is momentarily turned. Left behind is her ladybird shaped backpack, which contained supplies for her insulin pump. She needs her medication to live more than a few days, and her condition will rapidly deteriorate without it...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Re: IC - 9 - The Niece - Everyone

Post by Mephistophilis »

As it is a digital answerphone the numbers are recorded for all the calls. There are two numbers, one for Roxana, a landline with a local Aylesbury area code, and one for the other caller, another landline which is only different from the first by the last two digits, probably another extension in the same office.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

Stifling a yawn, Kris punches Roxana’s number into his phone. As he waits for the call to connect, he heads into the bedroom for a further look around.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Coming out the living room past the kitchen/diner area Kris again has to pass through a thick cloud of flies. Roxanna's phone continues to ring but no one picks up.

Stepping into the larger bedroom of the apartment Kris can see a double bed with tasteful, if rather pink bedcovers. There is a bedside table, a dressing table, and fitted wardrobes. In the cupboards he finds fairly unremarkable work clothes suitable for someone with an office job who might also have to meet clients occasionally. Her leisure clothes are understated, with blouses, skirts, jeans, jogging bottoms and so on. The drawers are filled with inconsequential nicknacks, jewellery, and toiletries.

Eventually the phone line switches to an answer machine, 'This is Roxanna Goldfarb's phone. I'm sorry I'm out of the office right now but please leave a message and I'll get back to you, or if it's urgent please contact Buckinghamshire Children and Families First Response Team directly on the main number...'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jocelyn follows Kris into the flat and looks around. "If Lindsey Peale has the shotgun we heard about with her, we'll have to be extremely careful," she says, eyeing the picture. "She sure knows how to use one. I don't fancy playing at clay pigeons."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

Simon joins the others, still looking annoyed.

"We'll need another copy of Balfour's book; this one is ruined. But there's some kind of code within it, I know it!
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris left his name, rank and number for Roxanna to call him back, then did the same for the second number.

He glanced around the room, studying the picture of Lindsay holding a shotgun. ”If she’s got a shotgun licence, then she’ll need somewhere to secure it. I’d be surprised if there isn’t a gun cabinet at the back on one of the wardrobes or in a cupboard somewhere. I’ll get the AFO to take a look.”

He looked at his watch and yawned again. “What isn’t here is Lindsay Peale. Hopefully traffic control will have had some more luck in tracking her car, but we need to get some sleep otherwise we’re not going to be able to function properly. As concerned as I am for the girl’s welfare, we’re going to crash if we carry on much longer.”

“I’ll ask one of the uniforms to keep an eye on this place and we’ll get SOCO to give it the once over then meet up again once we’ve had some kip. How does that sound?”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Sounds good," Simon nods, still a bit glum at the loss of his research.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

One of the AFOs looks around the flat and fails to find any sign of a gun cabinet. The control room confirm that Lindsay Peale has never owned a firearms license.

Eventually DS Bates arrives in an unmarked car accompanied by a uniformed officer. She looks rough and even more on edge than usual. 'I've got a lead on Lindsay Peale's car, it was picked up leaving Beaconsfield services last night about eight - devious bitch must have switched back the fake numberplate for the real one, she's taunting us. Traffic are looking to see where it went after that. What have you got for me from the apartment?'
OOC,After feeding back to Bates your characters can go home (Kris) or book into a hotel (Simon and Jocelyn) for some sleep. Or you can stay up doing more investigating but taking a penalty for it (they need a minimum of 4hrs continuous sleep to avoid this).Let me know your plans. FYI Kris will have to drive everyone back to Wycombe to pick up your cars from the station, I presume somewhere classy like the Holiday Inn just off the M40 will do for them?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris updated DS Bates on what they had found. “Neighbours confirmed that Lindsay is a social worker and there are messages on the answer machine from her boss and a colleague from Bucks Children’s Team, so that looks to bear out. She didn’t turn in for work today - not for the first time, apparently - and I’ve left messages for both of them to contact me, so we’ll see if they can fill in any gaps.”

“The neighbour opposite said she’d last seen Lindsay heading off to work yesterday morning. She said that she seemed stressed and confirmed that Lindsay owned a white Vauxhall Astra.”

”The neighbour down the hall confirmed that he and Lucy had a bit of a thing going. Smoked a bit of blow together, possibly friends with benefits too. He gave us the key to get in, but unfortunately he also tipped her off that we’d come to the flat. He didn’t speak to her apparently, but left a message on her mobile phone.”

He tried to stifle a yawn, with little success. “We need to get some sleep, you too Lucy. We’ve only given this place a quick once-over so I suggest we get a couple of SOCOs in here to take a more thorough look while we get some shut-eye.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jocelyn checks her watch. "Goodness, it's morning already!" she says. "Yes, I need to get some shuteye, too. A change of clothes wouldn't go amiss either, if someone can arrange it. I didn't exactly have time to pack." She fills in any details that Kris might not have known about yet. "This is probably Lindsay Peale's first crime. Using your own car is a rookie mistake. Most criminals will steal a car to use, and then get rid of it sharpish afterwards. Swapping the plates shows she wasn't completely incompetent, but that may have been Lewiston's idea. A copper would be more likely to think of that."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"I'm pretty tired myself, so I'll also head to bed so I can be up early tomorrow." He turns to Bates. "If your people can manage it, try and get another copy of Balfour's Passover Angel text. This one was unfortunately ruined earlier in the investigation. While it may not seem relevant to our investigation, Balfour seems to have included a rather complex code in the work. I believe the kidnappers must be aware of it. Perhaps if I can solve it myself I will be able to talk to Lindsay and gain her confidence once we find her, and hopefully convince her to let the girl go unharmed. As it is, it seems likely that Peale and Lewiston believed they were doing the right thing here-- their actions suggest a certain care for Reginia's well being so far. If there's a hidden message in Balfour's screed that is suitably troubling we can use that to sympathize with their logic, twisted as it is. If she believe us to be in the know it makes it easier for her to cease this desperate behavior of hers.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Burke taps Simon on the shoulder and shows him his battered BlackBerry phone. On the screen is a page from the website of the Church of the Passover Angel. It indicates that the church will happily post out a book explaining their orthodoxy in exchange for a donation of £29.95. They accept PayPal.

DS Bates emerges from the apartment, 'I'm going home to get some shut eye. I suggest you all do the same. We'll meet up this afternoon at the station and catch up. We've done what we can overnight'
Kris,You're moving here: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=469&t=7168[/url]
Jocelyn,You're moving here: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=469&t=7169[/url]
Simon,You're moving here: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=469&t=7170[/url]

Return to “Ladybird, Ladybird, Fly Away Home”