IC - 25 - Paperwork - Everyone

6.30pm Thursday 11th March 2010, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.

A five-year old girl, Regina Balfour, is kidnapped in broad daylight from the Eden Shopping Centre, while her mother’s back is momentarily turned. Left behind is her ladybird shaped backpack, which contained supplies for her insulin pump. She needs her medication to live more than a few days, and her condition will rapidly deteriorate without it...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Re: IC - 25 - Paperwork - Everyone

Post by Silver Priest »

I really don't think we'll get anything out of Johnny but if this is the plan Simon will sit in and see how he reacts to having the book thrown at him. Then I guess we debrief with Malone and see if any of Johnny's admissions troubled him enough to put Balfour under further scrutiny.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Having taken a break to regroup and discuss the plan for a few minutes, Kris, Jocelyn, and Simon return to the interview room together. Ms Acharya looks even more sour faced than earlier. 'I really don't think this is necessary. Mr Allen has told you everything he intends to. Now charge him or let him go, although I don't think you have very much in the way of evidence.' Johnny gives a broad smile at this. He seems to like a bit of fighting talk. The three interviewers notice that Johnny is looking at Simon unusually, staring at him even.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by Philulhu »

”That’s a strange assessment given the evidence we have,” replied Kris with a clever smile. ”Leaving aside the conspiracy to commit terrorist acts with the Reverend Balfour, we also have you bang to rights for the burglary at the Newman house, not to mention possession of a firearm, to whit, the automatic pistol hidden in the bathroom at church. Your prints were all over that one so you can hardly deny it.” He smiled again, somewhat mockingly.

”I think there’s enough there so you won’t see the light of day again until your trial. I’ll be stressing to the judge how ‘helpful’ you’ve been so I’m sure he’ll agree that you’ll be better off locked up, so you can’t get involved in any more mischief.”

”It’ll be a shame for you to miss out on all Balfour’s got planned but that the way life goes, isn’t it?”

I’ve written that from memory so apologies if I missed anything.
Last edited by Philulhu on Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Toilet tanks are not as clever a hiding place as you might think," adds Jocelyn. "We know all the tricks. And because you so helpfully sealed up your pistol, we were able to find your fingerprints on it. We also found the mobile phone in the toilet tank in your home, which was interesting as well. That's not even to mention the pending assault charges when we came to serve our warrant and arrest you. You knocked me down during the pursuit, and then you broke into a home and did the same to an elderly woman. You hurt her pretty badly. Now, you may believe the world will end in a couple of days, but what if you're wrong? Do you really want the maximum sentence? And then you'll have to answer to God. I don't think He'll be too pleased with your long list of crimes and failures. And what will your mother think?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Simon carefully tries and studies the look Johnny's giving him. Is it hostile, fearful, cautious? He tries to get a better read on the man.

1d100

"Actually, your client's been of more assistance than he realized," Simon tells Acharya, giving her a satisfied smile. "Though, speaking frankly, I doubt you will care given you were hired to defend him by a third party. We all know who said third party is, but any defense she offers to you Johnny is designed to minimize any risk of blowback affecting the people who are really paying her. You can, and will be, sold down the river.

"But you can tell your client that Mr. Zero here confirmed that the Reverend is in the process of making other plans. And that Johnny's still so willing to defend Balfour even after the good reverend downplayed their relationship is of great interest. My associates are very intrigued as to why the gun was found in Balfour's church and who precisely authorized the break in at Mr. Lewiston's home."
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Johnny shifts uncomfortably in his seat, but Ms Acharya seems unimpressed. She looks at Johnny, 'No comment,' he says. 'As you can see, my client has nothing further to say. If you have so much evidence then I can only suggest that you charge him and we will take our chances with the magistrate.'

It strikes Simon that Johnny is a little worried but resolute in following his solicitor's advice, Ms Acharya seems pretty calm and collected, unruffled, if anything she seems more annoyed at being here than intimidated by their line of questioning. It is noticeable that she doesn't make any reference to Balfour.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

John Allen, also known as Johnny Zero, you are charged with offences against the Firearms Act 1992, the Counter-Terrorism Act 2008, the Police Act of 1996 and The Theft Act 1968. You will be detained until the morning when you will appear before a magistrate. We will recommend that bail is denied.” said Kris formally. ” Do you have anything to say before the Custody Sergeant locks you up?”

I think I’ve got the Acts right, as long as my Google-Fu doesn’t let me down.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Do you, as your client does, believe the world will end within a couple of days, Ms. Acharya?" asks Jocelyn. "Because if you don't, you're really doing your client a disservice with your advice. He's going to get the maximum penalty if he listens to you, because we have him dead to rights. His only chance is to disregard your advice and cooperate with our investigation."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"An excellent point," Simon nods. "The apocalypse has already been rescheduled once, Johnny. Can you really be sure it won't be delayed again?"

When this is all over he's wondering what he should title his memoir on the case. Taking down this cult was going to make him famous, especially given what they were planning. He needed something catchy. An Angel to Guide Them: One man's fight to save London from zealous terrorists . Oh, that's good.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'As I said,' says Ms Acharya, 'My client...'

The lights blink out. The interview room is left in complete darkness except for the flashing red light of the recording device.

Johnny starts laughing, loud and long.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jocelyn takes out her mobile phone and turns on its light. "Is this supposed to be the plague of darkness?" she asks Johnny. "That's the ninth one. The next one is the last one, right? The slaying of the firstborn."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris pulled out his phone and after a moment, got the torch working. He got up and crossed the room, opening the door and looking up and down the corridor outside. ”Custody Sergeant,” he called. ”What the hell happened to the lights?”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Simon's thought are pulled away from his upcoming bestseller. Actually, he feels a strange uneasiness. Something to do with the hotel room they found Regina in, which had also been plunged into darkness.

"Be wary," he informs the others. "They could be trying to douse us with hallucinogenics again." He forces himself to remain calm. He just needed to remain rational and in control. They were in a secure environment, after all.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

In phone light, Ms Acharya looks confused and a little frightened, 'What is going on?' she asks, her voice a little higher and less assured.

Johnny keeps laughing for an uncomfortable minute. Finally responding to Jocelyn. 'Not all the firstborn. Only the unworthy.' And he fixes her with a momentary stare before returning to his contemplation of Simon. Johnny seems neither disturbed by the sudden darkness, nor surprised. It isn't clear what he finds so fascinating about Simon, but there must be something.

Outside the interview room is controlled chaos. Officers are hurrying back and forth, guided by mobile phone light. The custody sergeant is looking harried. He briefly answers Kris before moving off into the darkness to deal with someone else. 'Power cut. Backup supply isn't coming online yet. Can't phone anyone because all the lines are down and the mobile network is out. I need as many officers as I can get to watch the cells, all the cameras are out. It's a fucking shit show!'
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"What makes someone worthy?" Jocelyn asks Johnny.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"You're getting a good idea of the plans of the people you are representing," Simon responds to the solicitor.

He pays attention to Johnny's fascination with him, but does his best not to show his emotions. "Are you expecting something, Johnny?" He inquires, as calmly as he can. "Perhaps me too admit this is all real and beg for mercy. The Passover Angel himself to appear and smite me as an unbeliever?" He crosses his hands on the table. "Though as I've said, I'd be more worried for you. You failed in whatever task Balfour laid out. Failed your god. You may no longer be considered worthy by him."
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris quickly stepped over to his desk and grabbed his tactical belt. He’d taken it off for the interview but though the Asp and pepper spray might come in handy, so he quickly fastened it around his waist, smoothed down his jacket to try to hide it and returned to the interview room.

”It’s a power cut. They’re working on the back-up. Lights should be on again shortly,” he said.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Johnny smiles at Jocelyn's question. 'All of you are unworthy.' Sitting in the odd overlapping patterns of brightness and shadows cast by the harsh mobile phone lights he gestures to the dark ceiling lights. 'I have not failed God. You have failed. All of you.' He does not take his eyes off Simon.

Outside the interview room a few officers have made their way down the stairs from outside the station. One of them says to Kris before he re-enters, 'Looks like the whole town has gone dark. Massive power outage. Dunno how long it's gonna last.'

Ms Acharya looks more uncomfortable, whether it is sitting in the darkness with a religious extremist or the possibility of him incriminating himself further. Once Kris returns, she stands and says, 'You cannot conduct an interview in these circumstances, please take Mr Allen back to his cell until the lights are working again.'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris shrugged.”I’m sure Mr Allen’s god will sort it out shortly. If he’s all powerful, I’m sure he can rustle up an electrician from somewhere,” he said.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Keep telling yourself that. We actually were able to find Regina, so we've already done more than you.

"And you did give us plenty of information about Balfour and his connection to all this, as I've said, so yes, you've been a big help. I'm sure your god is aware of this. My, what a sin. I'm not fully well read on the Bible but I'm sure the old testament type you fellows worship doesn't much care why you sinned. You'll be punished either way." Simon looks pleased. "Something to consider while you're alone in your cell hoping for judgement day."

He's trying to throw Johnny off, given his intense stare. It's somewhat disturbing, more because he can't figure out why he's doing it.

Hearing that power was out all over did not aid his mood. Balfour's doing, no doubt. Likely one of his people had taken down the grid; they'd have to cross reference and see if any of the members of his little cult worked for the electric company. Truly an ingenious trick on the good reverend's part. Proclaim the world would fall into darkness then assign one of his little cultists to cause an outage, only increasing the zealotry of his followers.

Return to “Ladybird, Ladybird, Fly Away Home”