Page 1 of 1

IC - 9 - The Niece - Everyone

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:06 pm
by Mephistophilis
5am Friday 12th March 2010, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire

Ten and a half hours since Regina Balfour was abducted.

Kris drives slowly into a parking space outside a block of flats. It is still dark and his single headlight provides meagre illumination.

The apartment complex is fairly modern, all redbrick, brushed aluminium, and big windows. He reckons the address for Lindsay Peale is on the first or second floor but there are no lights on anywhere except for the stairwells. The only entry seems to be through a communal door controlled by a buzzer. There are about six different flats listed on the intercom.

The ARV has not yet arrived, although Burke has called through to say they're on their way.

Re: IC - 9 - The Niece - Everyone

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:16 pm
by Philulhu
”All out,” said Kris shortly, still aggrieved at having pranged his car.

Without waiting, he got out of the car, flicking on his torch and stomping over to the door, shining the beam on the keypad, trying to read the names.

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:08 am
by Mephistophilis
Some of the buttons don't have any names but number 3, which is the address they've been given, has the initials 'L.P.'
Kris,Never fear, this is a police issue unmarked CID car, Kris's souped up Astra is back at the station

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn follows Kris to the door. "What's the plan?" she asks. "Do we just try the buzzer and ring her up? If she's home, that is. If she is the accomplice, she probably took the child to some other location rather than here."

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:57 am
by Silver Priest
"Perhaps we could buzz a neighbor, ask them to see if she's home, make some sort of excuse about needing to, I don't know, borrow a cup of sugar." Simon smirks, briefly amused. "It might prevent her from being alarmed. Though chances are it would be out of the ordinary enough to raise her suspicions regardless."

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:13 pm
by Philulhu
Kris studied the door carefully. Communal doors were notorious for getting battered so there was a chance the door wasn’t secure...*
OOC,*In my experience. If it’s a decent private block, it should be in decent condition. If it’s a council or housing association block, there’s a good chance that the residents/their visitors have forced the door at some point and it won’t be so secure.

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:53 pm
by Mephistophilis
The apartment block looks pretty new and it is in good nick, probably private rented. The door seems secure. The phone plate has six buttons, marked 1 to 6, at the bottom is a bell marked 'Service'. These are usually used to let in tradespeople to the communal hallway, particularly deliveries, but often have restricted hours of access.
OOC,The first person to press the service buzzer roll Luck

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:38 am
by Philulhu
Kris hit the service buzzer, hoping that it linked to a 24 hour concierge service, rather than just being on a fixed timer.
Luck,Luck (50%) - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:50 am
by Mephistophilis
The door clicks open leading to a narrow hallway, there are two doors off marked flats 1 and 2 and stairs lead upwards. There are locked postal boxes against one wall, again, numbered 1 to 6. The floor is covered in old flyers for fast food and takeaway places. It is lit by harsh fluorescent lights.

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:44 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn examines mailbox number 3, which corresponds to "L.P."

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:59 am
by Philulhu
Kris took up station at the bottom of the stairs, looking up so they weren’t surprised by anyone coming down while Jocelyn checked out the mailbox.

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:18 pm
by Mephistophilis
Jocelyn finds the mailbox is locked. She peers inside and sees it is empty.

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:20 pm
by Philulhu
”Nothing?” said Kris. “Right - let’s go!”

He lead the way up the stairs, looking for flat 3.

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:31 pm
by Mephistophilis
Flat 3 is on the first floor (the one above the ground floor) opposite Flat 4. There is a plain red door without a letterbox. There is no sound coming from the flat and no light from under the door.

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

"The fact that box is empty means she's been here recently, at least, to empty it," whispers Jocelyn. "Everyone gets adverts and other junk, so if she'd been absent for a while, it would have something in it."

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:56 pm
by Philulhu
”Good point,” said Kris. “Let’s see if she’s still home,” and he knocked on the door.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:48 pm
by Mephistophilis
The knock echoes in the hallway but there is no answer and no sign of anyone stirring, no sounds or lights.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:40 pm
by Philulhu
Kris rapped on the door again, while pulling out his mobile with his other hand. He dialled Burke and when his colleague answered, said “Where are you now? We’re at the niece’s place and there’s no answer. We need the ‘key’.”

While he waited for Burke to answer, he idly tried the door handle in case it wasn’t locked.

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

"If she's not here, which is likely," says Jocelyn, "we need to figure out where she, and possibly Regina, went. Perhaps she or Lewiston own some other property."

Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:28 pm
by Mephistophilis
Still no answer. The front door is locked. Burke says he's on the way, maybe five minutes.
OOC,Anyone who wants to can roll Law

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:10 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn has no idea whether it's technically legal to break down the door in this situation.
OOC,Law roll (25% skill) outside the door: [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:34 am
by Silver Priest
"You know, I have taken a law class or two during my education," Simon begins.
Law 15%,[dice]0[/dice]

"Nothing covering this however, I'm afraid."

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:41 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Law (50%) - [dice]0[/dice] One area we haven’t explored (unless I forgot) is a search of the Land Registry which could show any other properties owned by anyone linked to the case.

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:18 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris,If there is no one home Kris is not sure he has the legal authority to break into the house. Previously he was relying on the need to protect Regina Balfour from imminent danger but there is no evidence anyone is home. He thinks he should at least discuss it with Bates and she could probably get him a warrant if needs one

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:21 am
by Philulhu
Kris stepped away from the door, pulled out his phone and dialled DS Bates. While he waited for an answer, he put his hand over the mic and said, Jocelyn, Simon - can you check outside for me? Now we know where the flat is in the block, can you check if there are any lights visible from outside? Also, see if the parking is communal or numbered bays. If the flats have bays, is there a vehicle there?”

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:48 pm
by Mephistophilis
While Kris waits for DS Bates they all hear a noise behind them and turn to see the door to Flat 4 opening, a sheepish looking middle aged woman in a dressing gown and fluffy slippers peers around the door.

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:05 pm
by Philulhu
Kris pulls out his warrant card to show to the women. Detective Constable Sapru, from Thames Valley CID,” he said. “We’re looking for Lindsay Peale. Have you seen her tonight?”

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:07 pm
by Mephistophilis
Rather timidly the woman pulls open her door and in a quiet voice says 'um, no, I haven't seen Lindsay since yesterday morning, is she okay?'

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:52 pm
by Philulhu
Kris stepped closer and lowered his voice. ”We need to speak to her about one of her relatives. Did she say anything before she left?”

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:34 pm
by Silver Priest
"Aye, I can do that," Says Simon, but just as he's about to leave the door opens. He listens carefully as the woman speaks. "Yes, and what was her mood like? Did she seem afraid?"

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:20 pm
by Mephistophilis
The woman looks overwhelmed and shrinks back behind her door, 'oh, um, we didn't really talk, she was going off to work, but she seemed fine, maybe, oh I don't know, a little stressed maybe.'

Bates finally answers her phone, 'Any luck with the niece?'

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:40 pm
by Philulhu
”Hold on please, Lucy,” said Kris. “We’re just talking to the neighbour.”

He turned his attention back to the neighbour. “Are you normally on good terms with Lindsay? Do you happen to have a key for her apartment?”

Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:50 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris,Roll Luck

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:37 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn goes outside as instructed to check for lights and vehicles.

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:39 am
by Philulhu
OOC,Luck (50%) - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:57 pm
by Mephistophilis
Jocelyn can see a single parking space marked for Flat 3, it is empty. She cannot see any evidence of lights on where she thinks Flat 3 would be but there are definitely lights in the windows of Flat 4 and Flat 6.

The woman in Flat 4 says 'I'm sorry, I don't know Lindsay that well, I don't have a key. You said something about her relatives, maybe one of them would have one?'

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:32 pm
by Philulhu
Tired, Kris rubbed his forehead. ”We know she had an uncle, which is why we’re here. Do you know if she had any other relatives? Oh, and I don’t suppose you know what type of car Lindsay drives?”

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:48 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Uh, I think her dad is dead, I'm not sure about her mum, I don't think I've ever seen her.' She thinks for a moment, 'I do know she drives a white car though, maybe an Astra.'

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:09 pm
by Philulhu
”An Astra?” said Kris. He smiled. ”Thank you. That’s been very helpful.”

He turned away and spoke into his phone. Lucy? One of the neighbours advises that Lindsay Peale owns a white car - possibly an Astra. Lindsay isn’t here and her flat is locked. Can I have permission to make entry?”

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:27 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Good work Sapru, I'll get onto traffic to see if we can track down that car' says Bates. 'We're going to need a warrant to get into that flat unless there's any sign of occupation?'

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:46 pm
by Philulhu
Kris signalled to Simon to keep an eye on the door while he went to check on Jocelyn.

”Let me check,” he said to DS Bates as he headed down the corridor and out to the car park. He called over to Jocelyn, “Any lights on in the flat?”

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:26 am
by Silver Priest
Simon keeps watch, though he's not really expecting much. He suspects Lindsay has long fled. Now it was just a matter of tracking her down.

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"The lights are out in 3, but on in 4 and 6," says Jocelyn. "Her car's gone too, which further suggests she isn't home."

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:35 am
by Philulhu
”No lights and no car,” said Kris, with a wave of acknowledgement to Jocelyn. “It doesn’t look like she’s here, Lucy.”

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:31 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Okay, give me an hour' says Bates. 'I'll join you at the apartment and bring the warrant with me. Time to go and wake up the magistrate.'

Looking outside the team can see the flashing blue lights of the ARV arrive outside the apartment complex and Burke gets out the car accompanied by a uniformed officer.
OOC,Anything you want to do while waiting for Bates?

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:03 pm
by Philulhu
Kris glanced at his watch, yawned and thought about getting some kip in the car, but he knew he wouldn’t get any sleep with his colleagues around.

He looked up at the windows of the flats, noting where the curtains were twitching under the blue strobe of the police lights. He read off the flat numbers to Burke and the PC. “They’re awake so let’s go and knock on a few doors. See if we can’t find out anything else about Lindsay Peale. We’ve got about an hour until DS Bates turns up, so you might as well make yourselves useful!”

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"I can help with the interviews too," says Jocelyn.

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:21 am
by Silver Priest
If asked, Simon would also volunteer his assistance.

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:29 am
by Mephistophilis
Flat 4 is where the woman opposite Lindsay's flat lives. Knocking at Flat 6 on the second floor brings a bleary eyed man in his late twenties to the door, 'Hi, uh, yeah, what do you want? he says guardedly.

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:36 am
by Philulhu
Kris showed the man his warrant card. DC Sapru, Thames Valley CID,” he introduced himself. “We are looking for one of your neighbours, Miss Peale, who lives at flat number four. Have you seen her recently?”
OOC,Something about him makes Kris think there is something else going on. Psychology (30%) - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:45 am
by Mephistophilis
Kris,Kris sees the man react to both his warrant card and mention of Lindsay's name, he looks nervous, like he's done something wrong
'Uh, Lindsay? Sorry, don't think I know her, can't help you I'm afraid...' and he starts to close the door.

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:54 am
by Philulhu
Kris put his foot in the door to prevent the door from closing. ”Really?” he said, his face impassive and with a serious tone of voice. “Strangely enough, that’s not the vibe you’re giving off. So, let’s try again. I’m looking for Lindsay Peale - who you clearly know - so when did you last see her?”

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:15 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris,That sounds like Intimidate - you can have a bonus die as you're a police officer - if you fail you can push using another social skill if you like and roleplay it appropriately

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:23 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,With Intimidate at 15%, I’m not hopeful, so I’ll roll Persuade (55%) as a back-up. Intimidate (15%) - [dice]0[/dice] Persuade (55%) - [dice]1[/dice] Right on the nose!
Kris sensed the guy’s defences were up so he made a conscious effort to relax his shoulders. ”Look, fella,” he said in a more conciliatory tone. “We’ve got a young girl who’s gone missing. She’ll be frightening and her parents are worried sick. I just need to find Lindsay to see if she can help us, so if you can help me find her, it will be better for everyone.”

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:25 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC,Kris had a bonus die so I'll roll that [dice]0[/dice] - so a pass on Intimidate with a 13!

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:28 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Sorry, cross-posted with my edit.

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:30 pm
by Mephistophilis
The man's eyes widen as Kris pushes open his door, he backs away looking panicky, 'Eh, uh, yeah, no, look, okay, I know Lindsay alright. We sometimes, you know, hang out, smoke a joint and stuff. I haven't seen her since yesterday.'

Hearing Kris's more conciliatory tone he adds, 'Look, Lindsay's a good person, she wouldn't do anything wrong, believe me.'

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:41 pm
by Philulhu
”Have you seen her hanging around with anyone lately?” asked Kris.

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:07 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Nah, not really, she was always busy with work, not sure she had many other friends to be honest. Me and her had a...an understanding, we spent a bit of time together.' He looks a bit more thoughtful, or at least as thoughtful as a man wearing just his pants in the early hours of the morning can. 'She seemed a bit more stressed recently, last few weeks, wouldn't say why, just work.'

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:21 pm
by Silver Priest
"Did she ever mention a place she might have gone to get away from it all?" Simon adds. "I'm sure you have her cell number, would you mind giving her a call for us?" He doubted Lindsay still had her phone, but if she did, chances were she'd pick up for her friend as opposed to an unknown number.

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:23 pm
by Mephistophilis
Sheepishly he says 'I gave her a call when I saw you guys outside, it says her mobile phone is out of service. I've sent her an email but nothing's come back, she's probably away somewhere and asleep if she's not in her flat. As to where she might go, I'm not sure.'

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:29 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Did that count as a successful Intimidate roll for Kris for experience purposes? If so, is just Intimidate I can mark off or Persuade as well?
”Can you think of anywhere she might have mentioned?” persisted Kris. “The missing girl’s life may depend upon it!”

Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris,That's a successful Intimidate but you can have Persuade as well, I've treated it like two separate rolls
'I understand, alright, I just don't know where she'd go! Look, I don't know what you've heard but Lindsay is a nice girl, she's a social worker for fuck's sake, she isn't going to hurt a child.'

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe not intentionally," says Jocelyn. "She may think she has the best interests of the child at heart, but she's mistaken. The little girl is diabetic, and when she was snatched, the kidnappers did not get her insulin. We need to get it to her fast, or she'll die."

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:32 pm
by Mephistophilis
Simon,Would Simon have taken the chance to read more of the book? If so roll another English - try and get a hard (under half the skill) success
The man from Flat 6 puts his hands up, 'Look, I don't know any more, what do you want me to say?'
OOC,Anything else you guys want to do before Bates arrives? You could wake up some neighbours if you'd like. Or you could phone through to the station and get the morning shift to chase down some leads for you

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:20 pm
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn thanks the man and lets him go. She suggests to Kris that they have the station check with the Land Registry to find out what properties either Lewiston or Lindsay Peale own or lease.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:06 pm
by Philulhu
”Oh, one more thing...” said Kris, turning back Columbo-style, “Do you have a spare key for Lindsay’s flat? We’re getting a warrant so it will save us breaking down the door and help us find that scared little girl that much quicker.”

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:44 pm
by Mephistophilis
The officers back at the station can't find any evidence that either Lindsay Peale or George Lewiston owned any properties other than their main residences that you know about. They do confirm Lindsay is the registered keeper of a white Vauxhall Astra and the traffic team is trying to track it down.
Kris,That'd be a Luck roll

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:01 pm
by Silver Priest
Eng 94%,[dice]0[/dice] That's a hard.
Simon is engrossed in the book once again, leaving the interview and the like to his colleagues who are more trained in such matters. He doubts there are many clues to be found here anymore anyway; the kidnappers had been rather skilled at covering their tracks so far.

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:03 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,Luck (50%) - [dice]0[/dice]

Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:50 pm
by Mephistophilis
The man in Flat 4 sheepishly hands over a key.
Simon,[b]Simon[/b] makes short work of skimming the rest of [i]The Book of the Passover Angel[/i]. He has already read the first two chapters, word for word reprints of the King James versions of the books of Genesis and Exodus as far as he can tell, except minus Exodus 11:6 about how the outcry of woe from the death of the firstborn will not ever be repeated. The third chapter is called the [i]'Kenyan Revelations'[/i], and is authored by the [b]Reverend John Balfour[/b]. This chapter is short and concerns his time performing a youth mission in the interior of Kenya. He is vague about exactly where in Kenya he went, but it was clearly somewhere quite remote. He encountered a [b]'wise prophet of the Lord'[/b] there who claimed that the Apocalypse of John was false and unreliable, and that the end of the world would be visited by God upon mankind in some way that was consistent with both history and the laws of science. She then explained that the Ten Plagues of Egypt would be how God would purge the wicked: they are all natural disasters that could follow from a volcanic cataclysm and ensuing distortion of weather patterns, and God had purged the world of wickedness in this way before. The [b]wise prophet[/b] openly challenges the interpretation of Exodus 11:6 that the plagues of Egypt were a one-time event, and promises that when the time comes, the Lord, acting through his [b]Passover Angel[/b], will purge the wicked in the same way. He talks about 'taking in' the spirit of the angel while in Kenya. [b]Balfour[/b] even cites some scientific papers on this topic, including [list][i]The Plagues of Egypt: Archaeology, History, and Science Look at the Bible[/i], by Siro Igino Trevisanato, Georgia Press LLC, 2005 Marr J.S., Malloy C.D., [i]An epidemiologic analysis of the ten plagues of Egypt[/i], Caduceus, (Springfield), Ill., 1996 Spring; 12(1):7–24.[/list] The fourth chapter is a set of bizarre drawings, set forth as an appendix to the [i]Kenyan Revelations[/i]. There are star charts, Enochian occult drawings, incomprehensible diagrams depicting thaumaturgical triangles, magic circles, and the like, and complicated mathematical formulae, all without any sort of prose explanation. Further study of chapter four is likely to take weeks, if it is even possible to understand. [b]Simon[/b] can attempt a hard Psychoanalysis (under half the skill) or extreme (under one fifth) Psychology roll to get a sense of the author, [b]John Balfour[/b], and what he was trying to achieve in the book. In addition, [b]Simon[/b] is now pretty certain that there is some kind of code. Studying the typesetting of the text itself shows a sequence of twenty six numbers hidden in variant characters.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:36 am
by Silver Priest
"Utterly fascinating," Simon pipes up. "Mind it's utter rubbish, the ramblings of a madman, but fascinating as well."

"Balfour seems to believe the plagues of Egypt will be repeated, in contrast to most interpretations of Christianity I am familiar with. He mentions this prophet of the Lord he met in Kenya,a woman oddly enough; unusual for these types. Claims to have seen the angel, though surely metaphorical. Perhaps he was on some sort of religious trip involving intoxicants, fairly common, if less so amongst Christians. Cites a few papers as well apparently supporting his view that may be worth seeking out.

"Then things get really weird. Esoteric drawings, occult symbology, star charts... even for a mind as sharp as my own, it could take me a few weeks to decipher it. There's some sort of code, as well. I've noticed 26 numbers hidden within various characters in the typesetting. That's another thing to explore.

"Of course, none of this assists us in finding Regina, specifically
." He reluctantly admits. "But it's a truly interesting little sect. Doomed to obscurity-- its teachings are far too heretical, but intriguing nonetheless."
Psychoanalysis Hard 26%,[dice]0[/dice] I feel like Simon would push this if possible. He's the type to jump to the wrong conclusion rather than admit he does not know. So against all judgement, if possible I will push. [dice]1[/dice] Oh boy.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:23 am
by Philulhu
”Thanks,” said Kris dryly, as he took the key. He pulled out his card with his contact details and handed it over. “If you hear from Lindsay, let me know. Oh, and one of my colleagues might call to ask you some more questions, so don’t go anywhere.”

He turned away, pulling out his phone and calling DS Bates. When she answered, he said, “Lucy? We’ve got a key from one of the neighbours, so we’re going into the flat for a a look around.” As he spoke, he put the key in the door and carefully pushed it open...

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
Trying to maximise his light in the early morning gloom, Simon takes the book and holds it under one of the street lamps to try and better illuminate the text. There's something odd about the narrative, like Balfour was conflicted in what he was saying but Simon can't quite piece together what that might mean. The wind stirs and a few drops of rain fall from the street lamp onto the book, dissolving some of the cheap print into pools of smudged ink.
Simon,That rain has damaged some of the book and obscured the last few numbers from the code sequence
Kris opens the door into Lindsay's apartment. Moving through the hallway into the kitchen on the right the air is thick with flies, like something died in here...or someone.

Quickly walking through the house Kris doesn't see anything of major interest, no spoiled food, no signs of pets, no computer or mobile phone evident.

In the living room there is a landline with a digital answerphone which is flashing. On the wall is a framed picture showing a young Lindsay, probably in her late teens, winning some kind of medal for clay pigeon shooting.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:21 pm
by Philulhu
Kris paused, his eyes moving around the room, taking it all in. He stepped forward, keeping a lookout on the doors that lead further into the flat, and pressed the ‘play’ button on the answerphone...

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:50 pm
by Mephistophilis
The first message is from someone calling themselves Roxanna around midday Thursday. She is asking Lindsay why she isn't in work. This is followed by several more messages wondering where the hell she is and complaining that she is not answering her mobile phone.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:00 pm
by Philulhu
OOC,The second voice - gender? Age? Anything specific about the tone or any noises in the background? Listen (35%) - [dice]0[/dice] Can I spend three points of Luck?

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:29 pm
by Mephistophilis
Philhu,Sure spend the Luck
The voice of Roxanna is definitely female, at a guess Kris would say middle aged. Middle class accent, probably greater London area. She seems pretty pissed off with Lindsay and not concerned about her. She mentions something about this being her last chance 'after last time'. In the background he can hear a bustling office environment with various voices and phones ringing.

The other messages are all from her except a brief message around 3pm spoken in hushed tones saying she is in trouble and needs to give Roxanna a call as soon as possible. This is a younger woman but she doesn't give a name. It is probably coming from the same office based on the background noise.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:59 pm
by Philulhu
Kris waited until the end of the calls to see if the numbers called from had been recorded.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:32 pm
by Silver Priest
"NO!" Simon screams, probably waking half the tenets. He desperately tries to reconstruct the text, but it seems worthless. "Bloody Hell!" As he loses his temper, his working class routes come out from his otherwise post accent. It's another reason he hates to lose his temper. After a moment, he takes a breath and forces himself to think.

I need to get another one of these. Hopefully Lindsay has one in her flat. If not, I'll need to ask Reverend Balfour, find a way to convince him it's related to the case. There's something here that I'm missing.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:15 pm
by Mephistophilis
As it is a digital answerphone the numbers are recorded for all the calls. There are two numbers, one for Roxana, a landline with a local Aylesbury area code, and one for the other caller, another landline which is only different from the first by the last two digits, probably another extension in the same office.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:08 pm
by Philulhu
Stifling a yawn, Kris punches Roxana’s number into his phone. As he waits for the call to connect, he heads into the bedroom for a further look around.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
Coming out the living room past the kitchen/diner area Kris again has to pass through a thick cloud of flies. Roxanna's phone continues to ring but no one picks up.

Stepping into the larger bedroom of the apartment Kris can see a double bed with tasteful, if rather pink bedcovers. There is a bedside table, a dressing table, and fitted wardrobes. In the cupboards he finds fairly unremarkable work clothes suitable for someone with an office job who might also have to meet clients occasionally. Her leisure clothes are understated, with blouses, skirts, jeans, jogging bottoms and so on. The drawers are filled with inconsequential nicknacks, jewellery, and toiletries.

Eventually the phone line switches to an answer machine, 'This is Roxanna Goldfarb's phone. I'm sorry I'm out of the office right now but please leave a message and I'll get back to you, or if it's urgent please contact Buckinghamshire Children and Families First Response Team directly on the main number...'

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:39 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn follows Kris into the flat and looks around. "If Lindsey Peale has the shotgun we heard about with her, we'll have to be extremely careful," she says, eyeing the picture. "She sure knows how to use one. I don't fancy playing at clay pigeons."

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:11 am
by Silver Priest
Simon joins the others, still looking annoyed.

"We'll need another copy of Balfour's book; this one is ruined. But there's some kind of code within it, I know it!

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:50 am
by Philulhu
Kris left his name, rank and number for Roxanna to call him back, then did the same for the second number.

He glanced around the room, studying the picture of Lindsay holding a shotgun. ”If she’s got a shotgun licence, then she’ll need somewhere to secure it. I’d be surprised if there isn’t a gun cabinet at the back on one of the wardrobes or in a cupboard somewhere. I’ll get the AFO to take a look.”

He looked at his watch and yawned again. “What isn’t here is Lindsay Peale. Hopefully traffic control will have had some more luck in tracking her car, but we need to get some sleep otherwise we’re not going to be able to function properly. As concerned as I am for the girl’s welfare, we’re going to crash if we carry on much longer.”

“I’ll ask one of the uniforms to keep an eye on this place and we’ll get SOCO to give it the once over then meet up again once we’ve had some kip. How does that sound?”

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:01 pm
by Silver Priest
"Sounds good," Simon nods, still a bit glum at the loss of his research.

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:18 pm
by Mephistophilis
One of the AFOs looks around the flat and fails to find any sign of a gun cabinet. The control room confirm that Lindsay Peale has never owned a firearms license.

Eventually DS Bates arrives in an unmarked car accompanied by a uniformed officer. She looks rough and even more on edge than usual. 'I've got a lead on Lindsay Peale's car, it was picked up leaving Beaconsfield services last night about eight - devious bitch must have switched back the fake numberplate for the real one, she's taunting us. Traffic are looking to see where it went after that. What have you got for me from the apartment?'
OOC,After feeding back to Bates your characters can go home (Kris) or book into a hotel (Simon and Jocelyn) for some sleep. Or you can stay up doing more investigating but taking a penalty for it (they need a minimum of 4hrs continuous sleep to avoid this).Let me know your plans. FYI Kris will have to drive everyone back to Wycombe to pick up your cars from the station, I presume somewhere classy like the Holiday Inn just off the M40 will do for them?

Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:51 pm
by Philulhu
Kris updated DS Bates on what they had found. “Neighbours confirmed that Lindsay is a social worker and there are messages on the answer machine from her boss and a colleague from Bucks Children’s Team, so that looks to bear out. She didn’t turn in for work today - not for the first time, apparently - and I’ve left messages for both of them to contact me, so we’ll see if they can fill in any gaps.”

“The neighbour opposite said she’d last seen Lindsay heading off to work yesterday morning. She said that she seemed stressed and confirmed that Lindsay owned a white Vauxhall Astra.”

”The neighbour down the hall confirmed that he and Lucy had a bit of a thing going. Smoked a bit of blow together, possibly friends with benefits too. He gave us the key to get in, but unfortunately he also tipped her off that we’d come to the flat. He didn’t speak to her apparently, but left a message on her mobile phone.”

He tried to stifle a yawn, with little success. “We need to get some sleep, you too Lucy. We’ve only given this place a quick once-over so I suggest we get a couple of SOCOs in here to take a more thorough look while we get some shut-eye.”

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:15 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn checks her watch. "Goodness, it's morning already!" she says. "Yes, I need to get some shuteye, too. A change of clothes wouldn't go amiss either, if someone can arrange it. I didn't exactly have time to pack." She fills in any details that Kris might not have known about yet. "This is probably Lindsay Peale's first crime. Using your own car is a rookie mistake. Most criminals will steal a car to use, and then get rid of it sharpish afterwards. Swapping the plates shows she wasn't completely incompetent, but that may have been Lewiston's idea. A copper would be more likely to think of that."

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:46 am
by Silver Priest
"I'm pretty tired myself, so I'll also head to bed so I can be up early tomorrow." He turns to Bates. "If your people can manage it, try and get another copy of Balfour's Passover Angel text. This one was unfortunately ruined earlier in the investigation. While it may not seem relevant to our investigation, Balfour seems to have included a rather complex code in the work. I believe the kidnappers must be aware of it. Perhaps if I can solve it myself I will be able to talk to Lindsay and gain her confidence once we find her, and hopefully convince her to let the girl go unharmed. As it is, it seems likely that Peale and Lewiston believed they were doing the right thing here-- their actions suggest a certain care for Reginia's well being so far. If there's a hidden message in Balfour's screed that is suitably troubling we can use that to sympathize with their logic, twisted as it is. If she believe us to be in the know it makes it easier for her to cease this desperate behavior of hers.

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:25 am
by Mephistophilis
Burke taps Simon on the shoulder and shows him his battered BlackBerry phone. On the screen is a page from the website of the Church of the Passover Angel. It indicates that the church will happily post out a book explaining their orthodoxy in exchange for a donation of £29.95. They accept PayPal.

DS Bates emerges from the apartment, 'I'm going home to get some shut eye. I suggest you all do the same. We'll meet up this afternoon at the station and catch up. We've done what we can overnight'
Kris,You're moving here: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=469&t=7168[/url]
Jocelyn,You're moving here: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=469&t=7169[/url]
Simon,You're moving here: [url]https://www.callofcthulhu.org.uk/pbp/viewtopic.php?f=469&t=7170[/url]