IC -27 - Stakeout! - Everyone

6.30pm Thursday 11th March 2010, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.

A five-year old girl, Regina Balfour, is kidnapped in broad daylight from the Eden Shopping Centre, while her mother’s back is momentarily turned. Left behind is her ladybird shaped backpack, which contained supplies for her insulin pump. She needs her medication to live more than a few days, and her condition will rapidly deteriorate without it...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Re: IC -27 - Stakeout! - Everyone

Post by Philulhu »

’Cud do w/ a hand w/ Balfour case’ Kris replied, his phone clicking noisily because he’d never got around to switching off the key press sounds.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

'Still suspended. Bit shook up. Not much help.'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

’U sure? Wiv a bit of help we cud nail B’ Kris texted in return.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

'What you need?'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

’Help wiv a stakeout. Keep an eye on B while I find out more about wot he’s up 2’ Kris replied.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kris's phone rings. He answers it on the second ring. After checking the caller ID. It's Lucy Bates. In a voice that's both thinner and less assured than usual she asks, 'I don't suppose I've got any choice after what we've seen. You want me at Balfour's place? I can be there in ten.'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Thanks, Lucy,” said Kris. He could hear the despair in her tone of voice. ”There’s no one else I could have called. I’ll see you when you get here.”

He ended the call and sat looking at his phone. He felt bad for asking her to get involved but they needed the help. He just hoped he didn’t regret it.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"This is a necessary step," Simon points out. "Ms. Bates is one of the few people we can tell our entire story to and not be seen as loons. Even if we only utilize her to keep watch on Balfour before his ceremony, it frees us up to investigate any further leads we have."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Precisely," says Jocelyn. "This way we can have two on stakeout duty and two doing something else. Without her, someone would be going solo, and that's not a good idea."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Ten minutes passes but there's no sign of Lucy. Another ten, still no sign. Eventually, a white Nissan Qashqai rolls up behind the pool Astra and then cuts off the engine. The driver door opens and someone gets out. There's a puff of smoke and the figure walks up the side of the Astra and peers in through the window. It's Lucy Bates. She looks rough, like she hasn't slept. There's a cigarette hanging out of her mouth and she seems twitchy, Eyes darting around. Hand shaking.

As Kris winds down the window, Bates leans against the car, gazing at Balfour's house beyond the trees. 'What've you got for me?' she asks.

Is that the smell of alcohol?
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

1d100

Simon gives a nod, but that remains it as far as pleasantries go.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jocelyn sums up what they've observed so far and what happened when they summoned the fire brigade. "You should have seen Balfour's face," she says. "You should get in a car before you're seen from the house. With two cars, if someone leaves the house, it's possible to tail them and still maintain surveillance here. I recommend that your car be the one to remain here. Let's get some coffee and food in you, too."

Spot Hidden roll (61% skill) when Lucy arrives:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Err… hi, Lucy,” said Kris, trying not look too concerned at her appearance. ”It’s good of you to help.”

Spot hidden (40%) - 1d100
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Bates nods as Jocelyn describes what has happened, but doesn't add any of her own thoughts.

'I'm not hungry,' she says flatly, 'But I wouldn't mind a coffee. Black. Three sugars.' She gestures a thumb back to her car. 'You want me to sit there and watch the place? What're you guys going to do?'

Despite superficial appearances, Simon can see that Bates is looking very resolute, she's taking this seriously, fresh smell of mouthwash, work clothes. She's ready to go.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"That is a good question," says Jocelyn, preparing Lucy a coffee. "Now two of us are free to pursue other leads. The two they had on stakeout duty before were glaringly obvious. Balfour was surprised to see them gone when he looked outside talking to the fire brigade, and he didn't notice us either, so maybe he'll let his guard down. Kris, do you want to remain on stakeout duty, seeing as you're the only copper here who isn't on suspension and have authority the rest of us don't? That would free up Simon and me, and we'd need to decide where to go and what to do."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Truthfully we're waiting for Tuesday, as that seems to be when Balfour is planning to do something to bring about the end of the world or something suitably nasty. We've managed to keep Regina from him until after the deadline passes as well as nab one of his trusted associates and keep him in custody. But Balfour appears unwilling to let his predicted apocalypse come and go once again. It's likely if he did so he'd lose some of his influence amongst his followers, and that's always important to these sorts. I suspect that lacking access to his own child he's going to use one of his congregation's. We've received reports some of them have been meeting with him today. I'd like to investigate that angle further, try to determine who leaves Balfour's place and if they have small children. If they do, stopping them from attending Balfour's sermon tomorrow is paramount." Simon explains, already feeling better about his decision to bring Bates in on all this.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Lucy gulps down her coffee and pours another cup. 'No Regina, that's good, that's good.'

When Jocelyn mentions her suspension she winces. 'Do you really think Balfour would harm a child?' Her voice trails off as she looks into the middle distance.

Then she smiles and shrugs, 'Are we getting the old team back together DC Sapru?'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”It’s just us, Lucy,” replied Kris. ”I need people who are prepared to suspend their disbelief - most coppers are too rigid in their thinking. Or in Burke’s case, too limited.”

He considered Jocelyn’s suggestion and nodded. ”Ok, Lucy can help me with the stakeout and you two can go off information-gathering. Keep in touch and let me know if you find anything. We’ll do the same if anything happens here.”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"I believe he would." Simon declares. "His love for his daughter appears to be genuine, but he seems to believe God will prevent him from harming her like what happened with Issac. This is a test of faith for him. I imagine that's how he'll sell it to his followers as well, if he requires one of their children as a sacrifice."

"I'm more than happy to assist in investigating further, though we are rather bereft on leads at the moment." He frowns.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Like you said," says Jocelyn, "we can follow up on the other church members, specifically the ones on Johnny's phone, and see which ones have children. They'll be the ones to try something. If we can't locate one or more of them, then we'll know who's up to something. I agree, I think he could harm a child, for the reason you stated."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Ladybird, Ladybird, Fly Away Home”