IC - 24 - They Think It's All Over

6.30pm Thursday 11th March 2010, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.

A five-year old girl, Regina Balfour, is kidnapped in broad daylight from the Eden Shopping Centre, while her mother’s back is momentarily turned. Left behind is her ladybird shaped backpack, which contained supplies for her insulin pump. She needs her medication to live more than a few days, and her condition will rapidly deteriorate without it...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: IC - 24 - They Think It's All Over

Post by Silver Priest »

OOC:   Don't think you want me, but just in case.  

1d100 Dex 55
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

(50%) 1d100

Kris moved with all the grace and elan of a man with sudden-onset arthritis… 🙄
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

Kris tries to push past the man in the doorway but he starts to swing it shut, blocking his passage. PC Grey moves up beside him and gives the door a kick, 'Get on the fucking ground, now!' he shouts and the man backs further away into the room, his hands still in the air.

Meanwhile, in the apartment window the man manages to slide it open and hops over the lintel into the street. He looks around for a second and then sprints away down the street, north, along Micklefield Road. As he turns, Jocelyn gets a view of a tattoo on his neck, shaped like a snake. He's several hundred metres away before she has the wherewithal to open the car door and pursue him. As she steps out of the vehicle she sees Simon streak past ahead of her.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Can I get right back in the car and drive after him? The motor is still running.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris pulled out his Asp and flicked it out. ”On the floor! Keep your hands on your head!” he ordered.

Do we have another officer here?
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

There's another AFO outside, but not with Jocelyn and Simon.
Jocelyn absolutely can get back in the car and chase him, that'll be a Drive roll.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jocelyn jumps right back into the car and peels out with expert skill, quickly catching up to the man to cut off his escape.

Drive Auto roll (50% skill) to chase the man:
d%
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Simon sees the man pulling a runner and starts to chase after him, eager to prevent their quarry's escape. It takes him a moment to realize he probably should have just drove the car after him as that would be faster and safer. Judging by the fellow's build, Simon would have little hope of restraining him if he caught up to him.

But adrenaline makes even the rational commit to irrational acts, and so the bookish psychologist continues to race after the man, intent on at least keeping sight of him until reinforcements arrive.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Jocelyn screeches to a halt in front of the man she presumes to be Johnny Zero, he skids and bounces off the corner of the bonnet. Scrambling back to his feet he starts off in another direction.

Seeing Kris and Ollie means business, the man in the flat reluctantly gets down onto his knees, his hands behind his head. Stepping further into the apartment, Kris can see evidence of drug paraphernalia beyond. A few bags of a bud-like substance he presumes is cannabis from the potent smell he can pick up.

OOC:   What does Jocelyn do? I presume Simon continues after him.  
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jocelyn drives after the man to cut off his escape. "Wait!" she calls. "We just want to talk to you! It's someone else we're after!"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Simon continues to pursue.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Making sure he didn’t get between Olly and the perp, Kris pulled his handcuffs off his tac belt and quickly cuffed the suspect. ”You’re under arrest for drug possession,” he said. Officer Grey will read you your rights.”

Turning to Olly, he said, ”Can you call it in? We’ll need SOCO to go through this lot. I need to get after the bloke who ran off.” He didn’t wait for an answer but ran out of the flat and out to the main road, trying to call Jocelyn on her phone as he went…
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Leaving Ollie to clean up after him, Kris sprints back out of the apartment, passing a surprised looking AFO loitering outside in the car park. He lifts his phone and dials Jocelyn while he runs around the back and catches sight of a man he presumes to be Johnny Zero bouncing off the bonnet of Jocelyn's car while Simon sprints after him and Jocelyn screeches past him again to try and cut him off.

Jocelyn's phone rings in her pocket as she watches Johnny jump and slide over her bonnet Dukes of Hazzard style. He's panting heavily as he runs past a garage forecourt and down a side alley, crashing through an unlocked gate into what looks like the back garden of a house. She's not going to be able to pursue him any further in the car.

Looks to me like we've got ourselves a chase. I'm not 100% sure I understand the 7th Edition chase rules but let's give it a go. 'Johnny' has MOV 8 and DEX 65 so he's pretty fast. Kris has MOV 7 DEX 50, Jocelyn MOV 8 DEX 65, Simon MOV 8 DEX 55. So we act in the order: 'Johnny', Jocelyn, Simon, Kris. Everyone gets 2 MOVE ACTIONS except Kris, who gets one, slow coach. You can use a MOVE ACTION to run closer to Johnny, to attack him if you've caught up, or to buy 1 or 2 bonus die for a HAZARD ROLL.

Initially the positions were:
Johnny...(h)Jocelyn...x...Simon...x...Kris

And here on a map:

So Kris was 5 away from Johnny, while Jocelyn was only 1 away from Johnny. However, Jocelyn has a hazard between her and Johnny - that is the car, if she's not going to try and knock him down with the car (that'd be a DRIVE ROLL) then she'll need to get out the car and chase after him - to do that successfully she needs to pass a DEX roll. For everyone else, I'm going to say the car is blocking the road and also counts as a hazard, they'll also need a DEX roll to get past. If you fail the DEX roll (or any other HAZARD CHECK) then it'll cost you 1d3 MOVE ACTIONS (you can take actions from your next turn) and you might take damage.

If Jocelyn continued to drive the car then each MOVE ACTION she uses can move 1-5 locations. But again, unless she runs Johnny over she'll need to get out the car to apprehend him and pass that DEX roll.

So to start with I'd like everyone to roll CON (even Jocelyn - but she'll only get the benefit/cost if she gets out of the car). If you get an extreme success then +1 to your MOV rating. A failure and it's -1.

So I've rolled CON for Johnny - he fails despite an impressive 75%, so his MOV drops to 7 - and now he only has 1 MOVE ACTION.

He uses his MOVE ACTION to go one further location. So now the relative positions are:
Johnny...x...(h)Jocelyn...x...Simon...x...Kris

And here on a map:

Since he's gone into an alley Jocelyn can't follow in the car so she'll need to get out to chase him any further.

So feel free to tell me what you do with your MOVE ACTIONS if you're chasing Johnny. If you decide to do something else, e.g. going to a different location to try and cut him off, then let me know and I'll tell you how many MOVE ACTIONS it takes and any hazards you face.

CON 75%: 1d100 79
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

(70%) 1d100

Kris had never enjoyed sports at school - the furthest he’d ever wanted to run was the distance between the stumps at cricket, but he gritted his teeth and set off at a run in the direction of Jocelyn’s car. He could see Simon ahead of him and he was pretty sure he should be able to outrun him…
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

So no change to Kris's MOV - which means he gets 1 MOVE ACTION. He using it to get 1 location nearer to Johnny?
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jocelyn springs into action quickly. Not wanting to run over Johnny, especially since they need him alive, she leaps out of the car and vaults over it, pursuing him in the hope of catching up to and subduing him.

CON roll (65% stat) to move faster:
d%
DEX roll (65% stat) to get past the hazard:
d%
I asked for nonlethal weapons earlier, before we came out here. What do I have available?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

The armed officers will have Tasers, Kris will have a telescopic truncheon and pepper spray. If you roll Luck and pass then you can choose if there is either pepper spray or a truncheon in the vehicle. Pepper spray is fired with the handgun skill. The range is short so you'd need to be at the same location as him.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jocelyn has her pepper spray in her hand as she races after and catches up to Johnny.

Luck roll (45% stat) to choose a weapon:
d%
I'll use my two move actions to catch up to him, but I'm guessing I don't get to attack this turn.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

1d100

1d100

As anyone could have predicted, Simon starts to get winded (loafers were not a good choice for a chase, he muses,) but at least Jocelyn seems to be on their target's tail. He dutifully continues to pursue, the slower speed at least allowing him to navigate around the car with ease.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Yes, Kris is trying to catch up with Johnny, unless he can think of a way to cut him off.

Navigate (10%) 1d100

Edit: Nope… :(

Return to “Ladybird, Ladybird, Fly Away Home”