IC - 18 - Siege - Everyone

6.30pm Thursday 11th March 2010, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.

A five-year old girl, Regina Balfour, is kidnapped in broad daylight from the Eden Shopping Centre, while her mother’s back is momentarily turned. Left behind is her ladybird shaped backpack, which contained supplies for her insulin pump. She needs her medication to live more than a few days, and her condition will rapidly deteriorate without it...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: IC - 18 - Siege - Everyone

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Lindsay," says Jocelyn. "Hello, Regina. You're a very brave girl, and I need you to keep on being brave. We're going to do our best to get you safely out of there. Lindsay, do you have enough food and drinks in there for both of you? Do you need any medical supplies?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

'We've got some food and drink - can't say it's healthy though. I'm not sure about the medication. Regina ran out of insulin so I used some I found...somewhere else. She helped me put it in her pump. She seems okay but maybe we could use her normal insulin.'
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 10 months

Post by Philulhu »

”That’s how I found her,” said Kris quietly. “She broke into a local vets to steal insulin.”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jocelyn nods. "We recovered her original insulin," she replies. "It's on its way here right now."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Bates makes a call. 'Doctor's not here yet but we have the insulin, I'll get it brought up.'

Lindsay's voice comes back over the radio, 'You can bring the insulin, but don't send it with the police, I want someone I won't have to shoot.'

A uniformed officer comes up the stairs and hands Bates a glass vial with some needles and syringes.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Simon?” said Kris. “I’d volunteer but she knows I’m with the Force...”

Kris is trying to be sincere, but it’s difficult to tell if he’s relieved to be able to suggest that someone else approach the door of the desperate shotgun-toting child abductor...
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I could do it too," says Jocelyn. "Neither one of us is technically police, but she would probably recognise my voice from the radio. I wonder if we could conceal a listening device and a camera on the backpack so that we could get eyes and ears inside the room."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"Talking down emotionally unstable individuals is technically my field," Simon says with some haughtiness. It's clear the man thinks he's the best person for the job. "But if you wish to do it by all means, Jocelyn. I of course would be more than willing to offer you advise before you go, however-- situations such as these can be quite fraught."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If you're prepared to take the risk, I have no objection," says Jocelyn. "You may have a better chance of getting through to her than I would."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Well, if you insist." Simon says. "What will prove helpful here is that I have seen the same visions, for lack of a better word that she may have, and was attacked by Balfour-- I still have the marks to prove it. The fact she's been willing to cooperate with us so far is a positive sign. Her actions suggests she desperately wants a way out of this predicament she finds herself in."

He addresses the radio. "Lindsay? My name is Simon. I'm a Psychologist professor at Middlesex. May I bring you the medicine little Regina requires? I'm hoping to have a chat with you to discuss a positive outcome for all of us involved. I've been leading an investigation into Mr. Balfour and have discovered enough disturbing information to suggest that he is a danger to others, and you can help me with that."
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

There's another long silence before Lindsay answers. 'Just you. Alone.'

Bates looks very uncomfortable, 'Your call Officer Leigh. No time for listening devices. It'd just be Simon.' She hands the medication to him and then places a radio in his pocket. 'Any sign of trouble you press this, and we'll come running.'

Slowly approaching the door to Lindsay's room, Simon gets a closer look at the damage caused by her shotgun blast. The floor littered with fragments of plaster and a great chunk missing out of the ceiling. The door frame itself splintered. Simon looks a little closer...
Simon,Roll Spot Hidden
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm wary too," says Jocelyn, "but if Simon is willing, I think we have to take the chance. He's the one she asked for, and I have confidence in his abilities. He's already made a start of building a rapport with her, and this will help enhance it."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Your trust is appreciated," Simon responds, genuinely grateful. "And it can't go worse than what happened with Balfour. Well, unless she shoots me." From the slight widening of his eyes he appeared to have just considered that possibility, but he nonetheless heads off.

Heading to the door, he clears his throat and makes his presence known. "It's Simon, Lindsay. I have the insulin."
Spot Hidden failed, https://orokos.com/roll/888804
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Fingers crossed!” said Kris quietly, as Simon approached the door. He caught a look from DS Bates. “That he doesn’t get shot, obviously!” he said with a sigh.
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Simon steps back slightly from the door and it opens a crack. He can clearly see the double barrels of a shotgun pointing out but the room behind is dark and he cannot make out whoever is holding it. A woman's voice comes out of the darkness.

'Hands up, turn around.'

Simon follows her instructions.

The door opens further and he catches sight of the room's occupant, she looks tired and disheveled, but it is unmistakably Lindsay Peale.

She continues to train the shotgun on him, looks up and down the corridor, and then backs into the room. 'Come in. Slowly. Keep your hands where I can see them.'

Inside the room is lit by a desk lamp and the glow of the television screen, which is playing cartoons. There is a double bed on the left side of the room with a chair beside it, a door ajar on the far side with light coming through the gap. There are also curtains on the far wall which have been drawn, presumably covering a window. Simon sees the wooden dresser has been pulled out from the wall and moved in front of the main door, although it has been pulled back to allow him in, there's also a round desk lying on its side nearby.

Lying on the bed, with a blank expression on her face, sort of watching the TV but not clearly taking it in, is a young girl, she looks like Regina Balfour.

Lindsay circles around Simon, the gun still trained on him, her finger on the trigger, and she closes the door and locks it, fastening the chain.

'Show me what you're carrying, empty it on the floor.'
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

Despite the situation, Simon smiles, trying his best to present a comforting image. There's also the self serving part of him that imagines that this is going to do wonders for his career-- provided Lindsay doesn't shoot him, anyway.

"Of course." He does exactly what Lindsay wants him to, before he lowers his voice to a whisper. "I'm here to help you, Lindsay. Do you see the marks on my neck? The work of Mr. Balfour from earlier today. He also threatened the other two you have spoken with. He's unraveling, and it is being noticed.I've started to investigate his church and affiliations with a foreign terrorist operation known as Red Trumpet and have found disturbing information; and I believe you have your own evidence to add. Together we can bring an end to whatever he is planning."

He glances over at Regina, humane enough to be relieved that the girl seems stable.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Outside Kris listened carefully. ”No gunfire,” he said. “That’s a good sign...”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jocelyn nods, also listening intently.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Lindsay nods at the medication, 'I'd like you to make it up for Regina.'

With one hand on the shotgun, Lindsay disconnects some kind of tubing snaking out of Regina's top with the other hand. She removes a transparent plastic reservoir from the bulky blue plastic pump clipped to Regina's waistband and hands it to Simon.
OOC,Since Simon doesn't have any relevant skill let's say if he wants to fill the reservoir it'll be a DEX roll
Taking a closer look at Lindsay, she is drawn, haggard, like she hasn't slept for several days. One of her eyelids twitches uncontrollably. The room itself is musty with a definite lingering smell of body odour.

'What do you know about Balfour, what do you think you know?.'

-----

Once the hotel room door closes Bates sends the three armed officers to cover the doorway. 'Well I'm going to take a closer look, are you two coming?' she asks Jocelyn and Kris.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”She’s on edge,” counselled Kris as the armed officers moved into position. “If we crowd her, she might snap. I think we should give her a bit of space.”

Return to “Ladybird, Ladybird, Fly Away Home”