Page 1 of 1

IC - 25 - Paperwork - Everyone

Posted: Sun May 08, 2022 6:15 pm
by Mephistophilis
Sunday evening, 14th March 2010, High Wycombe Police Station

One day since Regina Balfour was rescued.

Back at the station Kris runs James Williams's prints. He has an interesting history, the fingerprints are recorded on the PNC as belomnging to one Philip Dagenham, with a string of convictions dating back to his childhood in London, mostly drug possession, some dealing, and a few street robberies, but nothing for the last five years or more. It seems that Phil has managed to forge a new identity for himself in High Wycombe.

Hauling Johnny straight into the interview room he just answers 'No comment' to everything he's asked. Figuring it is worth putting pressure on James Williams, or Phil Dagenham, or whatever he is called, Kris has him interviewed in parallel, 'accidentally' letting Johnny catch sight of him as he is led out of the cells. James is a lot more cooperative than Johnny. He denies knowing anything about any weapons and looks shaken at the suggestion he might be involved. He says he’s kept in touch with Johnny over the years but they’ve not been close. When Johnny contacted him recently he agreed for him to come and stay with him for a few days. He admits to dealing cannabis but says that the pills are for his own consumption. He also tests positive for cannabis, as does Johnny.

Okay, so we'll run the interviews a bit more broad brush - we don't need to roleplay everything everyone says - but let me know anything you might want to ask - what you might want to do - any tactics etc.

Re: IC - 25 - Paperwork - Everyone

Posted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:16 pm
by Silver Priest
Simon gets Kris and Jocelyn alone and shared with them his thoughts. Which quickly turn into a lecture.

"In my broad understanding of the criminal mind it seems rather clear that Mr. Zero will give us little. Jail does not scare him; he is a seasoned perpetrator. More importantly, he is a zealot. Keep in mind he very certainly believes that Reverend Balfour is in touch with God and doing the Lord's work. Nothing we threaten him with is likely to shake this conviction. How then can we expect to get answers from him?" He looks towards the others, awaiting an answer as though he's back in the classroom. After a dramatically appropriate moment, he raises a finger and smiles.

"It must be understood that almost all people have pressure points that when properly exploited compel them to cooperate. Mr. Zero is no exception. And I believe I know precisely what may get him to talk. His mother. Simply put, we imply we're investigating her for a part in all this sordid affair. Imply that she knew where he was or might have been a part of Balfour's scheme and that we're opening an investigation into her. Perhaps imply a leak to the press and that she will soon be harassed by reporters at her door, all asking her about her connection to her criminal son. It has been said that even bad men love their mums, and I believe Mr. Zero to be no exception. I believe he will offer up something to save her from the trouble, and a deal should be able to be arranged."

Posted: Sun May 08, 2022 10:31 pm
by Philulhu
”He’s been unwilling to talk so far, so if you think that will work, Simon, then I’m willing to give that a try,” Kris replied. “As for Mr Dagenham, he seems fairly co-operative but we could always let on that Zero was involved in Balfour’s terrorist plot and, in turn, that makes him a suspect too. He’d find it a lot harder to start again with MI5 constantly on his tail.”

Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 2:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Sounds like a plan," says Jocelyn. "We could also try to trick Dagenham into thinking that Johnny started cooperating and has betrayed him, in order to get him to betray Johnny. Then we can use whatever he tells us as leverage when we question Johnny."

Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 4:59 am
by Silver Priest
"My initial impression is that Mr. Dagenham knows very little about whatever Mr. Zero was planning. I suspect he was just helping out an old mate. That said it shouldn't prove too difficult to get him to tell us whatever Johnny told him when he came seeking shelter. Especially when we indicate how much trouble Johnny is in. Impress upon him this is a terrorist case and that in exchange for his cooperation the police can overlook his part in this and let him get back to his life, and I suspect he'll sing like a canary. Tweet tweet." Simon smiles, amused at his bon mot.

Posted: Mon May 09, 2022 6:55 am
by Philulhu
”Let’s hope you’re right, Simon. I think we’re going to need all the leverage we can get with Johnny Zero,” said Kris “Ok, so we have a plan. Let’s go and ask Mr Dagenham some more questions.”

Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:21 pm
by Mephistophilis
As the seriousness of the case against Johnny becomes more apparent, Philip Dagenham first admits he 'might' have been dealing the pills as well then begins to clam up as he realises he's implicated in the kidnapping of Regina Balfour. He looks anxious and twitchy. 'I'm not saying anything else until you get me a brief. This is too much for me!'

You want him to say anything else give me a successful Persuade roll. You know 100% his solicitor will advise him not to say anything else. I'll let you have a bonus die since you've got a lot on him and you can go with your plan of implying Johnny has rolled over.

Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:25 pm
by Philulhu
Persuade (55%) - 1d100
Bonus dice - 1d10

”You realise how much trouble you’re in?” said Kris. It was a rhetorical question - the look Dagenham’s face made that clear. “But you help us and I’ll put in a good word with the prosecution team. Otherwise… …” he shrugged.

Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:55 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Waddaya want, waddaya want?' stammers Dagenham. 'I don't know nuffink. Whaddaya want?'

Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:53 pm
by Philulhu
”Let’s start with everything you know about ‘Johnny Zero’, shall we?” said Kris, leaning forward to study Dadenham intently.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:22 am
by Mr. Handy

"You're going to have to come up with something," says Jocelyn, "in order to convince the Crown Prosecution Service."

Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:42 am
by Silver Priest
Simon crosses his hands in front of him and leans in, giving a soft smile. "Mr. Dagenham, you strike me as a fellow who has learned from his past troubles and really has made an effort to turn over a new leaf. None of us are interested in destroying the new life you've built for yourself. But I'm afraid Johnny's in a tremendous amount of trouble. You may have been aiding an old friend, but we have reason to believe he's involved with things that have national security implications. If the worst happens and those he is affiliated with carry out such a plot, everyone who aided Mr. Zero and his friends is going to be looked at very harshly. But I firmly believe you can help us stop anything serious from happening, and demonstrate your own willingness to assist us.

"As for what we need, my associate has the right of it. Why don't you start by telling us how Johnny reached out to you to begin with, and anything he may have told you about why he needed your assistance. Especially anything involving his faith or the church he's now in. Anything about his mood in the days you harbored him... did he seem stressed or troubled?"

Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:24 pm
by Mephistophilis
Dagenham starts blabbering, almost uncontrollably he describes his acquaintance with Johnny from growing up in London and the gang culture there. He says they were never close, Johnny was involved in much more serious stuff than him, drug distribution, enforcement, maybe even taking out some rivals. 'Everyone was afraid of him man. He was the real deal, hard fucker alright.' Dagenham says he just fell in with the wrong crowd, did a bit of street level drug dealing himself, 'Moved a bit of blow,' but managed to get out of the capital and settle down in High Wycombe with an uncle. He changed his name and went straight, well, mostly straight. He admits to selling cannabis 'And a few pills. But I don't know nuffink about any little girls, you gotta believe me. I ain't into none of that stuff.'

He says that he didn't have anything to do with Johnny again until the last few years when Johnny turned up in Wycombe. He recognised him in the street and they got to chatting. Johnny seemed very taken with his new church and the pastor there, Revd Balfour, and even tried to get him to come along. 'I ain't got no time for the church you know? Not my cuppa tea.' Johnny told him that he'd gone straight and put his previous life behind him and Dagenham didn't see any reason to disbelieve him. They only met occasionally around Wycombe and as far as he could see Johnny was being up front with him, doing youth work with the church, 'Living straight-edge man, didn't even smoke the bud anymore,' nothing suspect. That is until a few days ago when Johnny called him up and said he needed his help. 'Said someone from the old days was after him, needed somewhere to lay low for a coupla days. I didn't see no harm. Johnny deserved the break. Well, that's how I saw it. He seemed on edge, but that wasn't surprising. Those boys back in the big smoke, they're not to be fucked with, you get me?'

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Who in particular from the old days do you know of who might be after Johnny, and why?" asks Jocelyn.

Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:38 am
by Silver Priest
Simon doubts that line of inquiry will get them anything, and was likely just fed to Dagenham to keep him from asking too many questions. But he listens carefully just in case.

Posted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:22 pm
by Mephistophilis
Dagenham shrugs desperately. 'He didn't say who was after him. But there were plenty of them from back in the day. Bastards. Anton, Waggers, they scared me, scared me more than Johnny.'

Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:24 am
by Philulhu
Anton? Waggers? Who are they?” asked Kris, as he made notes. ”We need full names, contact details. How do they know Johnny and did he say why whoever it was was after him?”

Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 4:47 am
by Mr. Handy

"Did Johnny tell you anything about his plans?" asks Jocelyn.

Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:11 pm
by Mephistophilis
Johnny didn't tell me anything about his plans. You gotta believe me, if he'd said anything about a kid I woulda kicked him out...or, um, and told someone.' He raises his hands in the air, 'Din't say who was after 'im either. Just kinda hinted at it. I didn't want to know to be honest.' His eyes dart from side to side. 'Anton was one of the 318 Crew, real gangster type, crazy fucker. I think his full name was Anton Hayman, I don't know any address of nuffink. Waggers was the leader of the Ghetto Boys. Real name's Stephen but I don't know his surname. Couldn't tell you where any of 'em live. Honestly, I haven't been involved in any of that shit for years. I don't keep up on the gang stuff. It's not my scene anymore. Too much violence. I don't know anything else.'

Posted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:16 pm
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn isn't sure whether she does believe him, but she has no further questions.

Psychology roll (55% skill) about Dagenham:
d%

Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:41 am
by Silver Priest

1d100

Simon is quite convinced none of this matters, and is ready to interview Zero.

Posted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:19 am
by Philulhu
Psychology (30%) 1d100 We’re good at this, aren’t we?!

Kris studied Dagenham for a long moment, then sat back in the chair. ”For your sake, I hope you’re telling the truth. If I find out you’ve held anything back, then it will go badly for you,” he said. He glanced at Simon and Jocelyn, noting that they were finished with their questions and, for the benefit of the tape, he said, ”Interview suspended. Don’t go anywhere, Phil. We’re going to have a chat with Johnny and then we might have some further questions.”

He stood and held the door open for the others to leave the room. Asking one of the custody team to get Dagenham a drink, he lead the way to his office. ”I think we need to just check who Anton and Waggers are before we talk to Johnny again. Not that we know if they’re the ones who he was hiding from.”

He sat at his desk and logged into the PNC, inputting the names they had been given and searching for any matches.

Computer Use (65%) 1d100

Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 5:10 am
by Silver Priest
"I strongly suspect this is a misdirection Johnny offered. He's working for Balfour and no doubt was plotting something for him, so the best outcome would still be to convince him to tell us what he knows. But if you wish to look into his old acquaintances be my guest. Worse comes to worse, we can use it for leverage against him." Simon shrugs, apparently unbothered by that. The psychologist had grown obsessed with breaking this case open and figuring out how Balfour had created all his smoke and mirrors, and he was willing to break a few eggs if needed to come to that realization.

Posted: Mon May 30, 2022 7:58 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I think so too," says Jocelyn. "We do have him dead to rights on the gun we found in the church, which we've tied directly to him. We've got the mobile phone as well, which was in a similar hiding spot. We should ask him about the people whose numbers are on it."

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:50 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris searches the PNC for Anton and Waggers. Anton Hayman is easy enough to find, rap sheet as long as your arm, drug dealing, robbery, firearms offences, interpersonal violence, gang activity, he's a promising lead alright. Or at least he would be if he hadn't been shot dead in a gang-related feud back in 2002.

Waggers is another matter. There's no mention of 'Waggers' in any files he can find. There's a few people with 'Wager' and 'Wagger' as surnames but no one with any criminal record or even around Lewisham which is where the Ghetto Boys gang seem to have operated. He can't even find many recent mentions of the gang and the entries there are suggest it is splintering due to infighting and the conviction of several leaders.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:33 am
by Philulhu
Kris relayed the information he had found, that Anton was dead and there was no trace of ‘Waggers’, whoever he was.

”That doesn’t take us much further forward, does it?” he sighed, tapping his fingers on the desk in frustration. “So what now? Interview Zero and see if he coughs up anything about who he was hiding from?”

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"I have an idea," says Jocelyn. "You're going to like this one, Simon. You should talk to him first, by yourself, while Kris and I observe unseen. We'll be ready to intervene if he tries anything. You can pretend to be a true believer in Balfour and the Passover Angel and try to get him to open up to you. If it doesn't work, we can fall back on a regular interview."

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:34 am
by Silver Priest
Simon considers.

"It may work, though it's difficult to say. We did stop him after all, and I did taunt him a bit. There may be no real risk to attempting it, but I have my doubts if it will get us anything. Zero's familiar with the police and your bag of tricks, as it were. I doubt he'd let anything slip when he likely knows very well everything he's saying is being recorded.

"Personally I favour a more direct and aggressive approach, but if you think it's worth trying to gain his confidence first I suppose I can give it a go."
He looks towards Kris to hear his input.

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:31 pm
by Philulhu
”You may taunt him a second time,” replied Kris, with a deadpan look on his face.

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:31 am
by Silver Priest
"I wouldn't be so crash as to taunt him," Simon straightens up. "More exploit his vulnerabilities. His mother still loves him and I'm willing to bet beneath the tough exterior there's a little boy that hates disappointing mummy. We press into that and we may get something from him. The downside of course is that I have no plan B, so if he really is enough of a zealot to be unconcerned about his own mother we may hit a deadend. But I am generally rather adapt at understanding what makes the human mind tick, as I believe you both understand by now."

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:45 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris arranges for Johnny Zero to be taken to an interview room. He leaves him there by himself for a few minutes and then leads Simon in and exits the room. Simon is sitting face to face with Johnny. He looks relaxed, he's smiling broadly, and lounging in his chair. He's a short man, broad and muscled. Tattoos down his arms and up his neck. There's a glint in his eye, a manic edge to him, one Simon associates with madness.

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Can Simon have an earpiece so that we can talk to him without Johnny knowing?

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:25 am
by Silver Priest
Simon walks in the room, all smiles.

"Good day Mr. Zero. Not been a good day for you, has it?" He takes a seat across from him. "But you seem in good spirits. I suppose that makes sense, you believe the end of days to be at hand. I suppose you think you'll be saved, or some such. It's a logical view I suppose, at least in keeping with your belief system. Reverend Balfour entrusted you with some sort of special mission after all, didn't he? So you must be fairly high up in his trusted inner circle. And though he has publicly disavowed your actions, I believe we both know that's a cover for something.

"Now I am not an expert on your faith, but it does seem to be all rather Old Testament to me. Fire and brimstone, that sort of unpleasantness. A God who is quite to anger, even when His faithful fail to act in accordance with His will
." He gestures around them. "Speaking plainly, you've failed Johnny. Balfour may be able to forgive you, he seems like a good bloke, but I'd be more concerned about the fate of your immortal soul." Having offered his opening, he examines the man to see if he's seeded any doubt or worry in him by using his own faith against him.

1d100

Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:25 pm
by Mephistophilis
Initially, Johnny Zero simply replies 'No comment' to Simon's opening gambit. Then when Simon talks about a special mission he leans forward to say something, but simply adds, 'I ain't saying nuthing without my brief.' He sits back again smiling, Simon can see he isn't particularly intimidated or concerned by the demonstration that he knows something about Johnny's involvement with the church.

However, when Simon starts talking about him having failed the church, and God, Johnny's face darkens. 'Something better is coming. A new world. God's world. And you will be judged...' he sweeps his arm across the room, gesturing at the one-way mirror where Kris and Jocelyn stand watching, 'All of you.' It is obvious to Simon that Johnny doesn't like this line of argument, that it unsettles him somehow. Maybe he has some doubts about his mission or his faith.

For Simon to have an earpiece for communication with Kris and Jocelyn, one of you needs to roll Luck. Otherwise they can hear what is going on but will need to enter the room to talk to Simon.

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Unfortunately, the police had no earpieces available, so Jocelyn just observes silently.

Luck roll (44% stat) to have an earpiece:
d%

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:00 am
by Silver Priest
Well, that was a surprise, but maybe it should not have been. Even Balfour seemed conflicted, if that dream Simon had had was any indication. Though dreams were of course largely nonsense, Simon assumed it was some sort of subconscious tell. Personally he pegged the reverend as a true believer, zealous but genuinely believing the massive toll whatever attack he was planning was a necessary evil to bring about a better world. The most dangerous sort of zealot, in his estimation. Evidently Johnny shared some doubt of his own-- he could work with that.

"All of us? Fine for men like Anton and Waggers I suppose, though from what we've been able to determine Anton is dead and 'Waggers' may well have joined him. And I certainly don't think myself or the officers are high in your esteem. But what about your mate Dagenham? He did not strike me as a believer, but he's claiming he helped you out because of your old ties. Personally I believe him. It does seem a bit ruthless to leave him to be judged without offering him a chance at salvation, especially after he helped you hide out. Tell me, is he a first born, Johnny?"

He leans forward once again, face curious. "Or for that matter, what about your mother? From what the others told me she's a lovely woman, one who obviously still loves you. Believes their is good in you. Is she one of the ones who will have to die for this new world of yours to come to fruition? I'm sure Reverend Balfour has preached that God will bring about paradise. I would ask yourself what kind of paradise requires so many to die, starting with a little girl? But you already have wondered that, haven't you?"

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:30 am
by Philulhu
Do we know anything else about Johnny’s mother that Simon might use as a lever?

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:39 pm
by Mephistophilis
Johnny just shrugs at the mention of Anton and Waggers, they clearly aren't names that get a reaction out of him and he leans back in his chair. When Simon talks about Dagenham, Johnny raises an eyebrow and looks more comfortable again, amused even. 'I don't give a shit about Phil' he laughs.

Then Simon starts talking about Johnny's mother. It is clear from the moment the words come out of his mouth that Johnny does not want to hear it, he flinches and stands up, leaning on the table between him and Simon, placing his considerable weight onto his bulging sinewy, forearms. 'You shut yur fucking mouth. You talk about my mum one more time an...'

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:34 pm
by Silver Priest
A mama's boy. Of course, how predictable.

Simon was many things, a coward often among them, but there were times he was capable of something approaching bravery. Achieving a breakthrough in his interrogation was one of the things he was willing to be brave for, so as he did with Balfour, he pushes forward, damn the consequences.

"You know what's going to happen to the nonbelievers, Johnny. Your god is vengeful; it doesn't matter how good or evil a person is, they're all going to be punished for their lack of faith, in eternal agony and torment. Hurting me won't change that fact, and you know it. Are you still so eager to bring about this paradise?"

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:43 pm
by Mephistophilis
Simon roll Psychoanalysis.

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:28 am
by Silver Priest

1d100

Grrr. Will spend the 13 luck.

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:12 pm
by Mephistophilis
Johnny is starting to turn an unpleasant shade of crimson, the corner of his mouth twitches and the blood vessels in his arms seem to pulsate. He points a finger right in front of Simon's nose. 'You think you're so fucking clever. But you're not. You're going to find just out how stupid you are on Tuesday when you and the unbelievers burn. You'll burn, all of you will burn when the Passover Angel comes. And there's nothing you can do to stop it. You helped bring it on, you saved the girl.'

He laughs manically. 'You did this. You did it. And now you'll pay for laughing at us. Thinkin' you' better than everyone else.'

He grabs Simon's shirt and pulls him towards him. 'Tell me mister, are you the first born? Because I am. And I'll go to God with my eyes open. The Passover Angel in my heart. What's gonna protect you from the flames? Nothing! That's if you and the other pigs even last long enuff to see it.'

Letting Simon go he collapses back into his chair. Breathing heavily through flared nostrils. Arms crossed over his chest.

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:15 pm
by Silver Priest
Simon smirks, knowing weakness when he sees it. Being grabbed by Johnny causes the smile to dim, but only temporarily. For some reason, the psychologist feels an almost maniacal desire to expose this cult and bring them down.

"Regina is safe, Johnny. She's in the custody of the social services, who will of course conduct a full investigation before they return her to her family. That is likely to take past Tuesday, I'm afraid, but in matters such as this upmost caution must be practiced. Perhaps the apocalypse will have to be delayed, and you'll have let your god down again. That's twice now, I believe?."

He says nothing to the rest of the man's ravings-- rather difficult for him-- but continues to stare there with that patronizing smile on his face embodying every stereotype he's sure Johnny has of him. He looks at Johnny like he is nothing more than durst on his shoes. His goal of course is to antagonize the man and to trigger him into saying something implying the church or anyone affiliated with it is going to try and kidnap Reginia in time for the ritual.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:30 pm
by Philulhu
Kris looked on warily, wondering if Simon was going to push Zero to far. When he’d grabbed the psychologist’s shirt, Kris’d made for the door but stopped again as Zero had let go.

”I hope Simon knows what he’s doing!” muttered Kris, who didn’t want to have to explain to his superiors why a criminal had been allowed to rough up a civilian dealing with case.

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:50 am
by Mr. Handy

"He does," whispers Jocelyn, though she too is ready to intervene if Johnny turns violent. She still has that pepper spray.

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:23 pm
by Mephistophilis
Johnny's still breathing heavily but he smiles at Simon's words, relaxing slightly, as if he knows something important that Simon doesn't. 'Reverend Balfour'll get Regina back, don't you worry. He's an important man. Got friends in high places.' He unfolds his arms again and places his palms on the table, leaning forward and looking Simon long and hard in the eye. 'An' if he don't get her back by Tuesday then I'm sure he can make other plans. Like you says, this ain't the first time they took the girl off him. You'd think he might 'av thought of that.'

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:14 am
by Silver Priest
"Yes," Simon grins wider. "I had suspected but thank you for confirming that. ." Truthfully it's not the exact confession he wants, but better to make Johnny think he had just inadvertently given them something crucial.

He gets to his feet. "I believe that will be all, Johnny. Thank you for your assistance. Reverend Balfour will be delighted to know you still hold him in such esteem despite his mistaken beliefs you had a falling out. As will law enforcement. And I'll be sure to say hi to Jocye for you. I imagine she'll have her hands full with press inquiries and the investigation into what she knew of your whereabouts for the next little while, so she won't have time to visit. " He smiles. "Do take care of yourself!"

He marches out to meet with the others, who he assumed had heard every word. "Sounds as though the good reverend has a plan B. And perhaps a C." He frowns. "It may not be enough to keep Regina from him."

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:35 am
by Mr. Handy

"We need to break out the corkboard, pushpins, and string," says Jocelyn. "We have to determine who Balfour's 'friends in high places' are who might be in a position to get Regina released to him so we can remove them from the decision-making process. And you're right, that won't be enough. We need to protect Regina round the clock, because Balfour will try to take her via extralegal means once the legal means are blocked. And if that doesn't work, he'll try to find a substitute to sacrifice. We need to get Balfour locked up in order to keep him on ice until at least Wednesday, which means we'll have to make sure he's denied bail."

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:48 am
by Philulhu
”I’ll talk to the boss,” said Kris. ”I’ll make it clear that we need to keep Balfour under lock and key as long as possible.”

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:58 pm
by Silver Priest
"I hope they'll listen." says Simon. "We can point out that Johnny still is working for Balfour and seems convinced he'll get Regina back. Even if not, he apparently has other plans." He bites his lip. "But honestly I'm not sure that will be enough.

"I had thought keeping her away from him would be enough, but if Balfour just intends to use another child it will be near impossible to stop him.Especially if one of his followers offers their own up to him; they're likely to see it as a high honour." He thinks for a moment, running his hand through his dark blonde hair. "Kris did overhear a conversation from Mrs. Balfour suggesting he was considering other plans. Damn it, I should have known..." He takes a deep breath.

"Alright, let's consider our options. Joceyln, perhaps you could pay the Balfours a visit and inform them Johnny's been apprehended. You can be sympathetic and promise to help them reunite with their daughter; you're the only one of us they may actually believe wants that. Perhaps you can ingratiate yourself with them and get an idea of what he's planning." He looks around, and lowers his voice. "Maybe excuse yourself to the bathroom and plant a weapon or some illicit good in the house. Then get an anonymous call and have the police raid the place, hopefully keeping Balfour in jail until after Tuesday.

"There's also Lucy Bates. Her mental state may be questionable at the moment, given she thinks she saw something 'otherwordly," He mentally scoffs. His memories of the motel room were fragmented but he was convinced it had been some sort of hallucination, "But I think she does recognize the Balfours are a threat. Perhaps she can assist us in some way."

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"Those are good ideas," says Jocelyn. "I don't agree with planting evidence, but we don't need to. We've got enough genuine evidence to buy a few days, I think. But maybe I can get the Balfours to confide in me who their friends in high places are who can get Regina released by acting like I want to help them - unless they see through me. We also have to beware of Sarah Balfour. We have nothing to implicate her, and if she tries to get Regina released into her custody, I don't see how we could stop her. She may even be able to carry out the sacrifice in her husband's absence. Before we take those steps, though, we can still conduct a regular interview with Johnny, and then we can talk to Balfour. If I participate in that, I can be 'good cop' and plant the seed that I'm open to helping him."

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:54 pm
by Philulhu
”So what’s the plan? We go back in and I act as the bad cop and you give him a shoulder to cry on?” asked Kris. ”Perhaps we should threaten to lean on his mum. He seems very fond of her.”

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"That can work," says Jocelyn. "He's already implicated the Reverend, and I can offer him a way out if he continues to cooperate. Let's see if we can get him to implicate Sarah as well."

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:48 am
by Silver Priest
"Nigh impossible that he flips on either of them; he's a true believer. But I'll let you both make an attempt. I doubt he'd want to see me again. His two vulnerabilities are his mother and ironically, his faith. I sensed some misgivings about going forward with this path; maybe he fears failing the Passover Angel, or merely fears the Passover Angel. He covers it well however, and I'm not sure anything you say or threaten him with can get him to turn against Balfour. But if you're going to attempt to get something from him, those are likely to be your only options. In my assessment, anyway."

"That said, he's somewhat easy to manipulate, and perhaps you'll anger him enough he'll inadvertently implicate Balfour,or you can imply his words already have. Best of luck.". He's a bit disappointed he could not join in, but he knows he's burnt his bridges with Zero and it would only complicate things.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:57 pm
by Philulhu
”OK, let’s go,” said Kris, leading Jocelyn back to the interview room. Sitting down, he started the tape recorder. ”For the benefit of the tape, Detective Constable Sapru and Jocelyn Leigh have entered the room. We’ve got some more questions, so let’s get started. First of all, what do you think your mum thinks about your arrest, Johnny?”

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:19 pm
by Mephistophilis
Johnny is sitting with his arms crossed, scowling. At the mention of his mother Johnny glares at Kris but doesn't say anything. His eye dart between Kris and Jocelyn. He's less confident and brash than when Simon started with him, he seems more wary, like he's let something slip he didn't intend.

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn says nothing yet. She studies Johnny carefully while she awaits his response.

Psychology roll (55% skill) about Johnny:
d%

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:20 pm
by Mephistophilis
Johnny is twitchy, unsettled. Jocelyn thinks that either something he's let slip or something Simon or Kris has said has rattled him. Since he was already looking on edge when they entered the room she thinks it happened during the interview with Simon. Eventually he says, 'You ain't getting anything more out of me 'till my brief gets here.' He pulls his arms tighter around his chest and sits back, a resolute look in his eyes. Jocelyn suspects she's unlikely to get any more out of him, at least until his solicitor arrives.

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"It is of course your right to wait for your brief," says Jocelyn. "However, that is not the wisest course of action. Considering what we've found and what you've already admitted, we have you dead to rights. The only chance you have is if you cooperate with us."

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:49 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Or what?' he says. 'Nah, I'm waiting for my brief, that's all I got to say.'

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

"I suppose that since you believe the world will end in a couple of days," says Jocelyn, "you're not concerned what the legal system can do to you in that time. And perhaps you're right. Perhaps the world will end. But where does that leave you? You failed your God. What do you think He will do to you, when He comes? Do you have any brothers or sisters, Johnny? Or are you your mother's only - and therefore first - child? And what about your mother? Is she the first child of your grandparents? I know you love her, and she loves you. You and she have only one chance. The only way you can escape what is to come is if the world does not end in the next couple of days. Maybe we can stop that from happening, or at least delay it. But we need your help."

Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:49 pm
by Philulhu
”Why did you turn over Zac Newman’s house, Johnny? What were you hoping to find?” asked Kris, wanting to get him talking again.

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:29 pm
by Mephistophilis
He shakes his head again. 'Nah, nuffin' more outta me.' Whatever Kris or Jocelyn say he just shakes his head again. After about twenty minutes there's a knock on the interview room door. DI Malone pokes his head in. 'Mr Allen's solicitor is here. Apparently the duty solicitor wasn't good enough for him and we have someone from Carter-Ruck here.'

You all know that Carter-Ruck are a London City law firm specialising in reputation management and libel actions rather than criminal defence.

His solicitor, Ms Surya Acharya, is a a thin-faced south Asian woman who does not look impressed at being in the station at this time in the evening on a weekend. You get a strong sense that she feels this is beneath her. After ten minutes with her, Johnny returns to the interview room. Once the questioning by Kris and Jocelyn resumes he looks to Ms Acharya who nods, and he simply answers 'No comment.'

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:21 am
by Mr. Handy

"Who's paying your fee?" Jocelyn asks the solicitor, knowing that it isn't Johnny.

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:40 pm
by Mephistophilis
The woman gives Jocelyn a weak smile. 'My client has made himself quite clear, he does not want to answer your questions, as is his right.' Johnny grins at this. 'Now, if you have any evidence he has committed a crime, you should charge him,' Johnny gives her a confused look and she doesn't even glance at him but places a restraining hand on his arm. 'Otherwise, you must let him go.'

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:46 pm
by Mr. Handy

"It's just that your client needs to understand that you're not looking out for his best interests," says Jocelyn, "but the best interests of whoever's paying you. The police have plenty of evidence against your client, and I'm sure they will charge him shortly if he continues to refuse to cooperate. But first they want to give him one last chance before they throw the book at him, which they undoubtedly will unless he changes his mind very soon. All he has to do to avoid all that is to cooperate. But you're advising him not to do that, no doubt because that's what the individual paying you instructed you to do. After all, if he cooperates, he may incriminate that individual, which would help your client tremendously, but it may be disastrous for the one paying your fee. That strikes me as a conflict of interest. Do you really want what's best for your client?"

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:22 pm
by Mephistophilis
Johnny's eyes get a little wider at Jocelyn's words and he looks questioningly at Ms Acharya. She touches Johnny's arm again but doesn't break rather intense eye contact with Jocelyn. 'As always, I advise my clients in their best interests, and represent their wishes. To do otherwise would be ethically and professionally remiss. Unless you wish to make a complaint directly to the Solicitors Regulation Authority may I suggest you stop bluffing and either charge my client or let him go because you are not going to get anything more out of him and you are not going to get a rise out of me, Miss Leigh was it?' The corners of her mouth curl into a rather unpleasant looking smile.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:27 am
by Philulhu
”Presumably Balfour wants you free, Johnny. Why do you think that is?” asked Kris. “You’d like to think that as a friend or even as a religious man that he’s got your best interests at heart but we both know that’s not true, don’t we?”

Kris sat back in his chair and smiled. “What do you think it is, Johnny? Kidnapping his daughter? Or will it be some other kid you’re planning to use instead? He just wants you to do the donkey work and once that’s done, you’ll be surplus to requirements. He’d sacrifice you in a heartbeat. I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re dead within 48 hours, once Balfour gets ahold of you!”

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"I never told you my name," says Jocelyn to the solicitor. "I presume the individual who paid you must have done so. In any case, your client is intelligent enough to act in his own best interests, even if it means ignoring your advice, which he is under no obligation to accept."

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:43 pm
by Mephistophilis
At Kris's words, Johnny laughs and leans forward, shaking off the hand of Ms Acharya, 'It won't be me who's dead in forty-eight hours!' he shouts into Kris's face. 'It won't be me, but you lot...' he points at Kris, 'Heathens...' then gestures at Jocelyn, 'Faithless...' and finally turns to stare right into the mirror, Simon can feel his eyes burning into him, 'Unbelievers!' He stands up, continuing to stare into the one-way mirror, 'Don't worry about me, the Reverend Balfour's got me right, I'm good with the Passover Angel. You watch yourself. We'll see who's still 'ere come next week.'

When Johnny has finished Ms Acharya stands up, turns to Johnny and fixes him with a withering look. She then says 'I think you've heard enough. My client has nothing more to say, isn't that right Mr Allen?' He nods weakly, it seems he's more cowed by his solicitor than any of his interrogators.

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:07 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Fine," says Jocelyn, turning to Kris. "You can go ahead an charge him."

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:44 pm
by Mephistophilis
Anything else anyone wants to do with/say to Johnny before discussing things with DI Malone?

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:57 am
by Mr. Handy

I think we should present our (almost literally) smoking gun evidence against Johnny, especially the gun with his fingerprints that we found in the church and the mobile phone we found at his home, both in toilet tanks. We also have him dead to rights on breaking and entering and assault during the chase. Right now they don't know how strong our case is. If we show them just how strong it is, maybe one or both of them will have second thoughts.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:40 am
by Silver Priest

I'm inclined to agree, also tying in with Johnny testimony and showing that Balfour's words aside he is still fiercely loyal to the church and likely acting with at least the Reverend's tactic approval. Show from his words that Balfour either fully expects to get Regina back or that the church seems to be willing to "make other plans".

Honestly though I'm not sure how effective it will be. We should have enough to keep Johnny locked up indefinitely, but he's a zealot; he expects the world to end within the week and seems willing to spend the rest of his life behind bars. We may have enough to keep Balfour from getting Regina back until after the deadline, but I don't think we have enough to stop him if he decides to use another child.

We could try to determine who is paying for Johnny's legal representation, but it's probably just Balfour and there's nothing really illegal with him doing so; though it would be curious given IIRC he's tried to disavow Johnny. But I think we at least have a chance of convincing Malone to look into this. Overall though I think the police are going to stonewall us, which is one reason I suggesting speaking with Lucy Bates and maybe whichever other police saw those videos Lindsay had of Balfour's sermons. They may be the only allies willing to help us. Obviously though I'd suggest we keep these conversations subtle so as not to tip off Malone, who probably just wants this all to go away.

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:12 pm
by Mephistophilis
Does Kris have anything to say? It looks like Jocelyn is proposing to lay out the evidence to Johnny/Philip and see if they crack while Simon is suggesting going straight to Malone to see if he'll agree to charge Johnny and lock him away on remand and try and keep Regina away from Balfour.

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:21 pm
by Philulhu
Sorry - I’d been meaning all week to go back over the storyline and gather all the evidence but I just didn’t find the time :(

I’m not sure that presenting the evidence to Johnny will make a difference. You would think he knows that he could be locked up but he’s convinced he’s going to survive regardless.

I’m not sure what leverage we’ve got to try to make him talk further?

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:54 pm
by Mr. Handy

It's more to intimidate the solictor than Johnny, though if Balfour hired her as I suspect, it may not do any good. But they don't know what a rock solid case we have, and they think we're bluffing. If we show them we have the goods, they may react. Is there any reason not to try it?

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:26 am
by Silver Priest

No reason not to try it, though I think the Solicitor is more likely to be moved by it. Maybe we can make her inadvertently reveal who hired her. Let's give it a shot.

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:39 pm
by Mephistophilis
So you guys going back in to question Johnny more?

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:03 am
by Mr. Handy

Yes.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:22 am
by Silver Priest

I really don't think we'll get anything out of Johnny but if this is the plan Simon will sit in and see how he reacts to having the book thrown at him. Then I guess we debrief with Malone and see if any of Johnny's admissions troubled him enough to put Balfour under further scrutiny.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:46 pm
by Mephistophilis
Having taken a break to regroup and discuss the plan for a few minutes, Kris, Jocelyn, and Simon return to the interview room together. Ms Acharya looks even more sour faced than earlier. 'I really don't think this is necessary. Mr Allen has told you everything he intends to. Now charge him or let him go, although I don't think you have very much in the way of evidence.' Johnny gives a broad smile at this. He seems to like a bit of fighting talk. The three interviewers notice that Johnny is looking at Simon unusually, staring at him even.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:10 am
by Philulhu
”That’s a strange assessment given the evidence we have,” replied Kris with a clever smile. ”Leaving aside the conspiracy to commit terrorist acts with the Reverend Balfour, we also have you bang to rights for the burglary at the Newman house, not to mention possession of a firearm, to whit, the automatic pistol hidden in the bathroom at church. Your prints were all over that one so you can hardly deny it.” He smiled again, somewhat mockingly.

”I think there’s enough there so you won’t see the light of day again until your trial. I’ll be stressing to the judge how ‘helpful’ you’ve been so I’m sure he’ll agree that you’ll be better off locked up, so you can’t get involved in any more mischief.”

”It’ll be a shame for you to miss out on all Balfour’s got planned but that the way life goes, isn’t it?”

I’ve written that from memory so apologies if I missed anything.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:19 am
by Mr. Handy

"Toilet tanks are not as clever a hiding place as you might think," adds Jocelyn. "We know all the tricks. And because you so helpfully sealed up your pistol, we were able to find your fingerprints on it. We also found the mobile phone in the toilet tank in your home, which was interesting as well. That's not even to mention the pending assault charges when we came to serve our warrant and arrest you. You knocked me down during the pursuit, and then you broke into a home and did the same to an elderly woman. You hurt her pretty badly. Now, you may believe the world will end in a couple of days, but what if you're wrong? Do you really want the maximum sentence? And then you'll have to answer to God. I don't think He'll be too pleased with your long list of crimes and failures. And what will your mother think?"

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:17 am
by Silver Priest
Simon carefully tries and studies the look Johnny's giving him. Is it hostile, fearful, cautious? He tries to get a better read on the man.

1d100

"Actually, your client's been of more assistance than he realized," Simon tells Acharya, giving her a satisfied smile. "Though, speaking frankly, I doubt you will care given you were hired to defend him by a third party. We all know who said third party is, but any defense she offers to you Johnny is designed to minimize any risk of blowback affecting the people who are really paying her. You can, and will be, sold down the river.

"But you can tell your client that Mr. Zero here confirmed that the Reverend is in the process of making other plans. And that Johnny's still so willing to defend Balfour even after the good reverend downplayed their relationship is of great interest. My associates are very intrigued as to why the gun was found in Balfour's church and who precisely authorized the break in at Mr. Lewiston's home."

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:18 am
by Mephistophilis
Johnny shifts uncomfortably in his seat, but Ms Acharya seems unimpressed. She looks at Johnny, 'No comment,' he says. 'As you can see, my client has nothing further to say. If you have so much evidence then I can only suggest that you charge him and we will take our chances with the magistrate.'

It strikes Simon that Johnny is a little worried but resolute in following his solicitor's advice, Ms Acharya seems pretty calm and collected, unruffled, if anything she seems more annoyed at being here than intimidated by their line of questioning. It is noticeable that she doesn't make any reference to Balfour.

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:53 pm
by Philulhu
John Allen, also known as Johnny Zero, you are charged with offences against the Firearms Act 1992, the Counter-Terrorism Act 2008, the Police Act of 1996 and The Theft Act 1968. You will be detained until the morning when you will appear before a magistrate. We will recommend that bail is denied.” said Kris formally. ” Do you have anything to say before the Custody Sergeant locks you up?”

I think I’ve got the Acts right, as long as my Google-Fu doesn’t let me down.

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:30 am
by Mr. Handy

"Do you, as your client does, believe the world will end within a couple of days, Ms. Acharya?" asks Jocelyn. "Because if you don't, you're really doing your client a disservice with your advice. He's going to get the maximum penalty if he listens to you, because we have him dead to rights. His only chance is to disregard your advice and cooperate with our investigation."

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:50 am
by Silver Priest
"An excellent point," Simon nods. "The apocalypse has already been rescheduled once, Johnny. Can you really be sure it won't be delayed again?"

When this is all over he's wondering what he should title his memoir on the case. Taking down this cult was going to make him famous, especially given what they were planning. He needed something catchy. An Angel to Guide Them: One man's fight to save London from zealous terrorists . Oh, that's good.

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:58 pm
by Mephistophilis
'As I said,' says Ms Acharya, 'My client...'

The lights blink out. The interview room is left in complete darkness except for the flashing red light of the recording device.

Johnny starts laughing, loud and long.

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:09 pm
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn takes out her mobile phone and turns on its light. "Is this supposed to be the plague of darkness?" she asks Johnny. "That's the ninth one. The next one is the last one, right? The slaying of the firstborn."

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:34 pm
by Philulhu
Kris pulled out his phone and after a moment, got the torch working. He got up and crossed the room, opening the door and looking up and down the corridor outside. ”Custody Sergeant,” he called. ”What the hell happened to the lights?”

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:40 am
by Silver Priest
Simon's thought are pulled away from his upcoming bestseller. Actually, he feels a strange uneasiness. Something to do with the hotel room they found Regina in, which had also been plunged into darkness.

"Be wary," he informs the others. "They could be trying to douse us with hallucinogenics again." He forces himself to remain calm. He just needed to remain rational and in control. They were in a secure environment, after all.

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:20 pm
by Mephistophilis
In phone light, Ms Acharya looks confused and a little frightened, 'What is going on?' she asks, her voice a little higher and less assured.

Johnny keeps laughing for an uncomfortable minute. Finally responding to Jocelyn. 'Not all the firstborn. Only the unworthy.' And he fixes her with a momentary stare before returning to his contemplation of Simon. Johnny seems neither disturbed by the sudden darkness, nor surprised. It isn't clear what he finds so fascinating about Simon, but there must be something.

Outside the interview room is controlled chaos. Officers are hurrying back and forth, guided by mobile phone light. The custody sergeant is looking harried. He briefly answers Kris before moving off into the darkness to deal with someone else. 'Power cut. Backup supply isn't coming online yet. Can't phone anyone because all the lines are down and the mobile network is out. I need as many officers as I can get to watch the cells, all the cameras are out. It's a fucking shit show!'

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:13 pm
by Mr. Handy

"What makes someone worthy?" Jocelyn asks Johnny.

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:57 pm
by Silver Priest
"You're getting a good idea of the plans of the people you are representing," Simon responds to the solicitor.

He pays attention to Johnny's fascination with him, but does his best not to show his emotions. "Are you expecting something, Johnny?" He inquires, as calmly as he can. "Perhaps me too admit this is all real and beg for mercy. The Passover Angel himself to appear and smite me as an unbeliever?" He crosses his hands on the table. "Though as I've said, I'd be more worried for you. You failed in whatever task Balfour laid out. Failed your god. You may no longer be considered worthy by him."

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:47 pm
by Philulhu
Kris quickly stepped over to his desk and grabbed his tactical belt. He’d taken it off for the interview but though the Asp and pepper spray might come in handy, so he quickly fastened it around his waist, smoothed down his jacket to try to hide it and returned to the interview room.

”It’s a power cut. They’re working on the back-up. Lights should be on again shortly,” he said.

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:28 pm
by Mephistophilis
Johnny smiles at Jocelyn's question. 'All of you are unworthy.' Sitting in the odd overlapping patterns of brightness and shadows cast by the harsh mobile phone lights he gestures to the dark ceiling lights. 'I have not failed God. You have failed. All of you.' He does not take his eyes off Simon.

Outside the interview room a few officers have made their way down the stairs from outside the station. One of them says to Kris before he re-enters, 'Looks like the whole town has gone dark. Massive power outage. Dunno how long it's gonna last.'

Ms Acharya looks more uncomfortable, whether it is sitting in the darkness with a religious extremist or the possibility of him incriminating himself further. Once Kris returns, she stands and says, 'You cannot conduct an interview in these circumstances, please take Mr Allen back to his cell until the lights are working again.'

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:24 pm
by Philulhu
Kris shrugged.”I’m sure Mr Allen’s god will sort it out shortly. If he’s all powerful, I’m sure he can rustle up an electrician from somewhere,” he said.

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:48 pm
by Silver Priest
"Keep telling yourself that. We actually were able to find Regina, so we've already done more than you.

"And you did give us plenty of information about Balfour and his connection to all this, as I've said, so yes, you've been a big help. I'm sure your god is aware of this. My, what a sin. I'm not fully well read on the Bible but I'm sure the old testament type you fellows worship doesn't much care why you sinned. You'll be punished either way." Simon looks pleased. "Something to consider while you're alone in your cell hoping for judgement day."

He's trying to throw Johnny off, given his intense stare. It's somewhat disturbing, more because he can't figure out why he's doing it.

Hearing that power was out all over did not aid his mood. Balfour's doing, no doubt. Likely one of his people had taken down the grid; they'd have to cross reference and see if any of the members of his little cult worked for the electric company. Truly an ingenious trick on the good reverend's part. Proclaim the world would fall into darkness then assign one of his little cultists to cause an outage, only increasing the zealotry of his followers.

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:11 am
by Mr. Handy

"Is there a satellite phone anywhere in the station?" asks Jocelyn. "That should still be working even with the mobile network down. I wonder just how widespread this power outage is."

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:06 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris's taunt seems to irritate Ms Acharya who snaps, 'Your attempts to belittle Mr Allen's religious faith are quite transparent Constable Sapru.' When Simon wades in she frowns further, 'And you, Dr Eagleton is it? What exactly is your connection to this investigation? It is all highly irregular and something I intend to bring up in front of the court at the first opportunity.'

As far as Kris and the others are aware, there is no satellite phone in the police station. Usually external fixed lines would continue to operate as they carry their own current but the entire police station phone system is looped through the servers and requires power.

After several more minutes of darkness there's a knock on the interview room door and someone enters. In the mobile phone light they can see DI Malone, looking a lot less dapper than usual, his blonde quiff hanging flatly across his forehead. 'Put Mr Allen on ice and come to the incident room for a debrief' he barks, brusquely.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:15 am
by Philulhu
Kris called for the custody sergeant and had Johnny taken back to his cell, despite the squawks of protest from his Lawyer.

”What’s up, Chief?” he asked, as he entered the incident room.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:25 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn follows Kris to the incident room.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:53 am
by Silver Priest
"Simon Eagleton, correct. You may recognize my name from my assistance with the police on the Thorndike case last year. The book of which will be coming out shortly, I highly suggest reading it for an intimate detailing of the particulars of that case." Says Simon, never missing an opportunity for self promotion. "I was called in to help rescue the daughter of reverend Balfour and have been assisting the police since. I'm quite certain you'll hear nothing but glowing accolades about my performance."

When DI Malone requests their presence he follows the man, looking back at Johnny one final time. Something was off, but he still was not certain as to what. And that grated on him.

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:20 pm
by Mephistophilis
The incident room is deserted apart from DI Malone. He looks lined and worn in the harsh flourescent strip lighting.

'All the power's gone throughout Wycombe and the surrounding area. The backup supply is offline. If it doesn't come back on soon we're going to have to start moving prisoners to the cells in Abingdon and Banbury. It's a massive pain in the arse.'

He lets out a long sigh. 'And then we've got the Balfour case. I've got lawyers and senior officers coming at me from every direction about it. Little Regina's still with Social Services but her family are clamouring to have her back and pulling every string at their disposal. We've got this Johnny Allen in custody but he seems to have some powerful friends looking out for him. And the Church of the Passover Angel is now all over the news, there are already people queuing up outside the church to experience the end of the world on Tuesday. Frankly this is a shit storm and I hold you at least partly responsible DC Sapru.'

He raises his hands in exasperation. 'So tell me where we're at. What do I need to know?'

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:19 pm
by Philulhu
”Thanks for the vote of confidence,” Kris said dryly. ”Well, whatever you do, make sure the Balfour’s get their daughter back. If they do, she’s dead. Then that’ll be on you, Chief.”

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:49 pm
by Silver Priest
"Based on everything we've learned, the Balfours view Regina as being critical to starting the end of the world. Some sort of 'Binding of Issac' type of ritual, where sacrificing the child allows them to prove their worth to God or some such. It's exactly this scenario I believe her kidnappers were trying to prevent, albeit it in their own insane way. Unfortunately, Balfour is a clever bugger, and knows better than to come out and incriminate himself.

"Based on speaking with Johnny, the church seems desperate.They already were prevented from enacting this ritual once when Regina was removed from protective services the first time. He strongly implied if they don't have access to her this time Balfour will just 'make other plans' which I believe means he will sacrifice another child, likely one of his faithful's in the congregation.

"I'm aware of the position of the police, however. We don't sadly have much in the way of hard evidence and the Balfour's are extremely well funded, which is in it of itself suspicious
." He's quiet for a moment as he bites his lip, for once out of ideas. Ones he would share with Malone, anyway.

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"We not only have Regina's own statement about what her father has planned," says Jocelyn, "but we also have Johnny's statements, which have been recorded. He implicated Balfour, thanks to Simon getting inside his head. That should be enough to at least drag it out a couple more days. I wouldn't rule out them trying to snatch her if they can't pull enough strings to get her out in time for their ritual, but they could always use another child. We'll have to keep the Balfours under surveillance for the next couple of days."

Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:40 pm
by Mephistophilis
Malone scowls at Kris, 'I don't need your sarcasm Sapru. Your actions have got you suspended from this case once and completely alienated the Balfours. If you hadn't found the girl...' He trails off.

'I think we've got enough to keep Johnny in custody, oppose his bail as a flight risk, however good this Ms Acharya might think she is. But is there anything substantive on Reverend Balfour or his wife? Any actual criminality? We don't control the strings over Regina Balfour, all we can do is make representations to Social Services, what hard evidence do we have they're going to hurt her? Not theories,' he looks hard at Simon, 'But genuine, actionable intelligence.'

What are you trying to get Malone to do?

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:15 am
by Mr. Handy

We'd like him to drag out the process of returning Regina until at least Wednesday, based on Regina's implication that her father wanted to sacrifice her with a "magic knife" and that she would be raised from the dead afterwards (see here) and on Johnny's statements about Balfour. It should be enough to argue that there needs to be a full investigation before she can be returned. We also have Balfour's violent assault on Simon.

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:45 pm
by Silver Priest
Simon mulls things over in his head.

"I firmly believe Balfour and his church are planning to kill a child on Tuesday, quite possibly as the precursor to a more massive terrorist attack. I'm also certain that Balfour is a man possessed; his attempt to bring about what he sees as the end of the world failed last time due to Lindsay Peale's intervention. He's not going to allow it to happen again. I think he sent Johnny out to perhaps break Regina out. We stopped that, but I suspect they'll just use another child, which means bare minimum we'll have another dead child on our hands after Tuesday.

"You've mentioned people are beginning to gather outside the church-- is there anyway we can get the event shut down as unsafe due to the amount of people? It won't solve our problem but it might throw a wrench in Balfour's plans, especially if we do it an hour or two before he believes the world is set to end, which is likely the time he plans to act.

"My only other recommendation is that some of us try to ingratiate ourselves with Balfour. We saved his daughter. Maybe some of us can go and interview him. Pretend to be impressed or anew convert and let him know we're doing everything we can to get his child back to him. I don't really want to hand Regina over to him but if it earns us his favour-- and thus gives us a deeper understanding of his plans and how to stop them-- it may be worth it."

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:23 pm
by Philulhu
Kris shook his head. ”And if Balfour disappears with her and she winds up dead? That would be the end of all our careers! Too much of a risk, Simon!”

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:16 am
by Mr. Handy

"Balfour is already on to us," says Jocelyn. "I'm quite sure he's the one who hired that solicitor, and she's bound to report to him on the interrogation. It's highly unlikely that an attempt at infiltration would succeed."

We might have been able to shut down the gathering in 2020, but this is 2010. ;)

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:13 am
by Silver Priest

Well I'm not even talking about covid. The more people show up somewhere, the more risk of rowdiness or troublemaking. I don't know enough about the legal codes of the UK to comment, but I would imagine there's some sort of law that can be invoked at some point to break up a crowd citing safety concerns.

Simon looks annoyed at the pushback and sulks. This all could have been avoided had we shot Regina in the leg like I first suggested. He thinks.

Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:01 am
by Philulhu
I think this is the relevant legislation (much amended): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Order_Act_1986

Reading between the lines, I think that protestors can be ordered to disperse (and force used if they do not).

Perhaps we could call in the TSG (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropoli ... port_Group)? They’d shut it down…

Kris addressed D.I.Malone. ”Sir, this is one of those occasions where things will come out in the wash but if we don’t act to stop it now, then we’ll all answer for the consequences. Balfour’s planning some big, end of the world, apocalyptic event and if we don’t stop it, I’d hate to think what the consequences are. As a minimum, we need to be trying to control the crowds around the church and be ready to try and stop Balfour, and that includes not giving him Regina back.”

“Screw allegations of harassment, I think we need a team keeping an eye on Balfour at all times, at least until Tuesday is out of the way.”

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:50 pm
by Mephistophilis

Malone scowls even further and turns to the laptop nearest to him, presumably running on battery power. He logs into the investigation records and brings up the transcript of Regina's interview. He skims it for a minute or so before turning and sighing deeply, he looks disappointed. 'The Binding of Isaac is a well known Bible story, it teaches obedience to God.' He points to the section where Regina talks of hiding in the shelter. 'This isn't going to be enough to convince anyone Balfour intends to sacrifice her. You're all beginning to sound like Lucy, and you don't want to be in her position.'

He gestures to Simon, 'I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying we can't prove it. Maybe Balfour intends to harm his daughter, or another child, we just don't have enough actionable intelligence. I know he went for you but he'd get off with a slapped wrist given what he's been through.' He goes quiet and seems to be thinking, 'I can justify a police presence on Tuesday, with the crowds and the threats, but nothing more. As for surveilling Balfour, I can't get approval for that from the Chief Inspector, what you decide to do in your own time,' he shrugs.

'Well, if there's not anything else...'

Okay, time for some rolls to achieve your goals. I'm going to say each of you can only roll for one of them (so if you elect to roll to keep Regina locked up because you have the best Law, then someone else will have to roll for closing down the Balfour church service).

If you want Malone to pull out all the stops to keep Regina out of Balfour's hands that will be a hard Persuade (so half your Persuade) or a regular Law roll - only one person can attempt it, everyone can roleplay and I'll grant a bonus if I see a convincing argument (I'm with Malone on this, I'm not convinced).

I think you also want to get the police to close down the Balfour service on Tuesday, if you want Malone to try that I think you have even less chance so I'd need an Extreme success on Persuade (so 1/5th of your Persuade) or a Hard success (half) on Law. Again, a bit of roleplay.

You want formal surveillance on Balfour in the run up to the service then regular Persuade/regular Law and an argument.

Just as an FYI. I think we should roll for skill improvements and refresh Luck etc prior to Tuesday - I think you might need it.

Edited to reflect there's no power!

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:13 am
by Mr. Handy

Kris should make a Law roll, as Simon and I have much lower scores. Persuade is my strong suit, and I'd like to argue for formal surveillance on Balfour. Kris should probably try to convince him to keep Regina away from Balfour for the next couple of days, but that's up to him.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:31 am
by Silver Priest
"And I can understand your position," Simon tells Malone. "I'm not law enforcement and I know you've already been hit with a heavily coordinated set of attacks criticizing you for keeping Regina from him. Balfour's a clever fellow and has the resources and story to really put pressure on the department.

"That aside, I do firmly believe him to be a threat. I go back to my point that when it comes to Balfour there have been a string of individuals with otherwise exemplary records who have grown convinced he and his church are dangerous. George Lewiston, Lindsay Peale, Officer Bates. Even Ms. Goldfarb admitted to me she had some concerns. That's a pattern, and I think in both our professions we've learned to give such things some weight.

"As for what actions we can take, I'd suggest anything feasible that gets more police in a position to intervene if Balfour tries anything, and it should be easier to justify given his high profile and controversial nature-- we're helping to keep the peace. Shutting down the church service and forcing Balfour to move to a location we can more easily control would be a big help, though I am aware that's a bigger ask. I'd suggest offering him some police 'protection' during the service, but I fully expect him to decline the offer."

I don't feel confident in really rolling anything for Simon, and I've burnt through most of my luck. Hopefully I can grant someone a bonus for good rping, but no worries if not. Malone's in a tough situation here. That's why half of Simon's plans are more informal, in trying to recruit Bates.

The more I think of it, I think we really made a tactical error with not trying to keep Balfour liking us. It would have given us an in. Then again, the Passover Angel may have told him we were lying.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:19 am
by Philulhu
Meta-gaming, our best chance is either keeping Regina locked up or keeping Balfour under surveillance. We know that they have a plan B if they can’t get Regina back (use another child) so as difficult that decision is, I think we go with surveillance. That said, surveillance may not give us anything we don’t know, so it might be ‘wasted’, as it were.

Decisions, decisions… 😕

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:21 pm
by Silver Priest

Yeah, I get the impression he really wants Regina, so the best outcome may have been given her back(thus wining us favor) or keeping her under surveillance and letting her get snatched, which we could then hopefully trace back to Balfour. But alas, in game I can't justify dangling her as bait. That said, I don't think we should waste our limited influence here trying to protect Regina further; at the end of the day, even if we keep her out of his hands he'll just go to whatever plan b he made. But if one of your characters has really bonded with her please do whatever you think they would.

I think you guys should try to convince Malone of whatever you think you can; I think we stand a chance of getting more cops in the crowd at least, maybe even breaking up the crowd if there's any chance they'll turn rowdy.I'd really like to get his service canceled and forced to move to somewhere more public; a bonus of that would mean police protection close by and ready to intervene if he tries anything, but the former is probablly what we can realistically hope to achieve at present.

Here's where the part Simon won't be telling Malone comes in. He's grown obsessed with stopping Balfour. If Malone refuses to shut down the service, which is likely, Simon is planning to call from a public phone or burner and lay out detailed threats on bombing Balfour's church on Tuesday. Hopefully these threats will give us the added incentive needed to force protection on Balfour despite whatever resistance he has, or close down his service.

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:28 am
by Mr. Handy

"I think we should conduct formal surveillance to Balfour," says Jocelyn. "His ties to Red Trumpet alone should justify that, and we also have Johnny's statements about him. It's only for a couple of days, and it's better to be safe than sorry. We went to a lot of trouble to rescue Regina - I took a shotgun blast - and I'm not about to let anything bad happen to her. We may not have enough evidence against him yet, but surveillance is how we can get that evidence."

Persuade roll (60% skill) to convince Malone to authorize formal surveillance on Balfour:
d%
Hard success! Would it be worth spending 4 Luck to upgrade that to extreme?

I have bonded with Regina to that extent, but I don't have the Law skill to have a decent chance. Kris does, though, and if we can keep Regina away from Balfour and keep him under surveillance, we'll be ready to jump on him if he tries to grab another child. I really think Kris should go for it. I still think it's worth trying to keep Regina out of his hands.

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:09 am
by Philulhu
”Sir, we know that Balfour intends to use his daughter for a sacrifice. If we let her go back to him, we may as well just kill her ourselves,” implored Kris. ”She’s a key part of his plans and this is our chance to disrupt them. We need to keep Regina out of his clutches or we’ll all pay the price for it.”

Here goes… … 😬

Law (50%) 1d100

Edit: Bang on the nose! 😎

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:37 pm
by Mephistophilis
No need to spend a Luck. Looks like we've passes to persuade Malone to try hard to keep Regina in social services custody and get surveillance on Balfour, and I'm going to roll for Simon for completeness to get the service closed down. HdLd%

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:18 pm
by Mephistophilis

Malone listens impassively to the arguments. He turns back to the laptop and brings up their statements about the DVDs they watched in the hotel room. He bites his lip as he scrolls through. 'Okay, okay. Fine Sapru. If you really think Regina is in that much danger I'll talk to social services myself. No promises. None at all. But if Miss Goldfarb has her own concerns, maybe...'

Then he looks Jocelyn up and down. 'There's no way we've got the authority to shut down that service. You can't even begin to understand the sensitivities of this. I've got the Faith Leaders Forum, the Right Honourable Paul Goodman and all the main candidates for the next MP, the Chief Constable, the Deputy Chief Constable, and my fucking wife calling me about it. I can deploy some officers, armed even, but that service will go ahead.' He grimaces, like what he's saying pains him. 'But you're our Intelligence Service liaison Officer Leigh. I'll take what you say seriously. If Balfour has terrorist connections and there's a risk of some kind of incident I suppose I can take it to the Chief Inspector...Leave it with me.'

Anything else?

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:06 pm
by Philulhu
Could we get the SPG to do a number on Balfour? ;)

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:29 pm
by Mephistophilis
By 2010 it's the TSG and they operate in London. So no...

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:24 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you, Detective Inspector Malone," says Jocelyn. "We'll be on hand as well. I know there's no satellite phone, I've already asked, but do you have a shortwave radio? It would be good to know just how far the power outage has spread. Or failing that, are we able to reach anyone in nearby towns on standard police radios? I can't rule out that this power cut could be a terrorist act."

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:28 am
by Silver Priest
Simon is largely satisfied with Malone's response. It appeared the man was finally taking the matter seriously.

'While I'm not convinced these steps will fully stop whatever Balfour's planning, they're a good start.He's built up this whole mythology of Regina being his own little Issac; it's likely one of the reasons he hold such sway over his congregation. Like most cult leaders he's a profound narcissist who thinks himself special. There may be some hesitance to use another child with less significance to him. If we're truly fortunate he'll scrap whatever he's planning and push back the end of the world once again. But Mr. Zero made it seem as though he's unwilling to delay whatever he has planned once again, which may work for us if he has to scramble to come up with another plan.

"The surveillance will also help us be alerted to any unusual moves he makes."

Jocelyn asks a good question, and he's hopeful they'll understand the extent of the outage soon as well.

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:33 pm
by Mephistophilis

In response to Jocelyn's question Malone smiles weakly. 'The station radio needs mains power so it's down. Handheld units only go a few miles. But the car radios are still working. From that we've managed to figure out Aylesbury is unaffected and they've confirmed Oxford and all the other major stations elsewhere are fine. It's mostly just High Wycombe, reaches as far as Marlow and Beaconsfield but Slough is okay, well no worse than it ever was. Doesn't reach as far as Henley or Amersham. I calculate it's a circle with a radius of about 5 miles - centred on Wycombe. National Grid are aware and they've got technicians on their way out - they can't tell us what caused it but I'm conscious of the possibility of terrorism obviously.'

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:37 pm
by Mr. Handy

"That's good to hear that it's localised," says Jocelyn. "It also raises my suspicions further."

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:33 pm
by Philulhu
”Can’t they be more specific about the centre, Sir? Wycombe’s a big place,” asked Kris. Logically, he’d expect the outage to be centred around a sub-station or similar, but logic had been in short supply these last few days…

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:33 pm
by Mephistophilis

'I think that's a question for the National Grid, not me ,' huffs Malone. 'At the moment they can't even tell me what's wrong with the power, let alone where the malfunction is.' Raising his arms melodramatically he says, 'The radius is what I've got from the vehicle radios, this is not an exact science. My priority is getting the backup generator online, not plotting maps.'

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:38 pm
by Philulhu
Presumably the Ops room would know which car is where?

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:01 pm
by Mephistophilis
'I've moved the control room into the back of a van in the car park. They're using the radio and old fashioned pen and paper to run the officers in the Wycombe area. Everyone else is being diverted to other ops rooms elsewhere.' Hands on hips he snaps, 'I've given you enough of my time, is that everything?'

It occurs to Kris that Malone is probably the highest ranking officer left in the building and in the absence of mobile phone communication has had to take charge of operations. No wonder he seems a bit tetchy.

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:11 pm
by Philulhu
Everything from me. If no one else has anything for Malone, Kris will head out to the van and see if he can plot the epicentre, based upon the position of the nee-news with working radios on the map.

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:15 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, thank you. Perhaps we should stay somewhere outside the radius of the outage," says Jocelyn. "It's also important in case Balfour knows where we've been staying."

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:37 am
by Silver Priest
Simon will let the professionals take the lead, ready to support if anyone asks for his assistance.

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:46 am
by Mephistophilis
You would know your hotel rooms and Kris's house are within the radius of the blackout

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:44 am
by Philulhu
Hotel rooms outside the blackout zone, then? Unless Kris happens to know someone with a place they could use?

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:29 am
by Mephistophilis
Roll Luck

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:03 am
by Philulhu
Luck (41%) - 1d100

Edit: 8-)

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:54 am
by Mephistophilis
Doesn't Bina's sister live in Slough with her husband?

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:51 pm
by Philulhu
Do you mean Prisha, Bina’s younger sister who lives with her husband, Brian, the pompous estate agent who’s always bragging about how much he earns and his company car? She’d dated him on the quiet at university and there was a bit of a fuss when she married a non-Hindu but the arrival of their two kids has mollified her parents somewhat…

Kris keyed a number into his mobile phone. When the call was answered he said, ”Hey, Prisha, it’s your favourite brother-in-law. Can I ask a favour? We’ve lost power over here and I need somewhere to go. No, no, Bina’s fine. She’s at work. It’s just me and perhaps a couple of colleagues. I’ll explain when I get there…”

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn is glad to stay at Prisha's place.

Prisha's not the firstborn, so at least she'll be fine if we don't succeed.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:06 pm
by Silver Priest
Simon also does not mind, though he hopes she has a few spare bedrooms-- he'd rather not share one.

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:49 pm
by Mephistophilis
Jocelyn and Simon squeeze into the back of Kris's Astra and he drives out of the police station car cark looking for a phone signal. With the power down the nearest mobile phone masts aren't operating so he needs to get into range of a tower outside the blackout area. He drives down towards the M40 junction, the town looking eerie in the darkness, no street lights and only the occasional flash of candles or torches from the houses they pass, otherwise illuminated by a stark moonlight.

Kris pulls up in the Holiday Inn car park and gets a few bars of signal. He calls his sister-in-law Prisha and after a bit of back and forth, and background contributions from her arse of a husband Brian, he manages to blag them a place to stay for the night. Simon and Jocelyn listen in and stare idly out the window at the black monolith of the hotel, wondering if they'd even have been able to stay there without any power.

Roll me Luck to see if you get your own room

Satisfied with his call, Kris starts the Astra back up and begins to trundle out the car park towards the M40, planning to head down the motorway to Beaconsfield, check out whether the blackout ends there, and then take the A355 down to Slough where, according to Prisha, there's no problems with the power.

As they pull onto the entry ramp the motorway the sky is clear and a large moon sits low on the horizon, its dazzling brightness extinguishes the stars and an unbroken blanket of blackness arches above their heads. For a moment the bright illumination dims as if something has passed between them and the source of moonlight.

Everyone make hard Spot Hidden rolls (i.e. aim for under half your score)

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:31 am
by Philulhu
Spot hidden (40%) 1d100

Yeessss! Go on, my son! 8-)

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:13 am
by Silver Priest
Simon doubted he would stay at a hotel regardless; the unfortunate events with Lindsay Peale are still with him, even if the exact details were lost to memory. But he does strongly suspect Balfour dozed them with some sort of hallucinogenic gas. And he's not about to offer them another opportunity to drug him, oh no!

1d100

[Spoiler-ButtonSpot Hidden 13]

1d100[/Spoiler-Button]

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:14 am
by Silver Priest
Simon doubted he would stay at a hotel regardless; the unfortunate events with Lindsay Peale are still with him, even if the exact details were lost to memory. But he does strongly suspect Balfour dozed them with some sort of hallucinogenic gas. And he's not about to offer them another opportunity to drug him, oh no!

1d100

1d100

OOC:   Not sure why my rolls disappeared, but they were 25 for luck and 2 for Spot Hidden. I'd have preferred the other way around!  

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:46 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn's night vision is well developed by now.

Your post got duplicated somehow. Your rolls are intact in your first post.

Spot Hidden roll (60% / 2 = 30% skill) during the car ride:
d%

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:43 pm
by Mephistophilis

All three look up into the night sky to see why the light has dimmed. The moon is sitting heavy above the motorway. The shadowy contours of the mare against the lighter highlands lend the bright surface a patchwork appearance. It is easy to mistake the shadows for shapes. Cloudy black angel’s wings, a jagged skeletal face...

So that's a SAN check 1/1d6

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:08 pm
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn manages to keep her cool - mostly. "That's another holographic projection, right?" she says.

Sanity roll (current level 56) for seeing the angel:
d%

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:05 pm
by Philulhu
Yeah, so much for the spot hidden constituting a success… :(

SAN loss - 1d6 SAN now 64.

Kris felt a cold shivering run down his spine. ”No idea if it’s a hologram - I’m not hanging around to find out!” He pushed his foot to the floor and the car surged forward, as Kris looked around, desperately trying to recognise where they were so he could find somewhere to lose whatever that shadowy thing was!

He’s only got a paltry 10%, but let’s see if he knows of any tunnels or bridges nearby where we can try to lose this thing…

1d100

Edit: Clearly he’s been a shit brother-in-law and not been to see his in-laws often enough to know where the back roads are! :(

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:25 am
by Silver Priest

1d100

1d6

For once, Simon is at a loss for words.

1d100

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:07 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris puts his foot to the floor and accelerates through the evening traffic, swerving in and out of cars on the motorway, a torrent of honks and flashing headlights left in his wake. But there's no where he can turn off the motorway and the vehicle just keeps driving towards that broad, bright moon, sitting low in the sky, the hazy shape of the Passover Angel across its surface.

Jocelyn is right, another projection. And over there, on the hard shoulder. A blue SUV. And who's that inside it, a man, dark skin, middle aged. Balfour. It has to be. He's gone too far. He's taunting you. That's what he's doing.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:46 am
by Silver Priest
It's not real. Simon knows this. He pushes through the terror, but a moment later it's back. Because if Balfour has access to such advanced technology how can they hope to stop him?

His eyes dart across the road and widen as he sees Balfour. He's watching them yet again, and Simon's pretty sure he's smiling. He knows what he's doing, the bastard.

"There! That blue SUV!" He points out to the others. "Balfour's inside, he's watching us. He must be controlling the holographic machine from in there. Oh ho, very clever, showing off the Passover Angel in rush hour traffic; he's hoping to get more followers to believe his nonsense. We can stop him once and for all here! Run him off the road!" The professor's eyes shine with zealotry, as above all else he's grown to hate Balfour. The man is trying to drag the others into believing his superstitious nonsense, but he won't get Simon. He's going to disprove all of this and force everyone else to acknowledge it.

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"We need to gather evidence against him," says Jocelyn, looking around for the SUV, "or catch him in the act. Following him at this point wouldn't help. He must know we're here, or he wouldn't have done this. In fact, he's probably trying to follow us. We might want to lose him before we get where we're going."

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:15 am
by Philulhu
I don’t suppose Kris has on of those flashing police lights you just stick on the roof, does he?

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:50 pm
by Mephistophilis
That'd be a Luck roll

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:46 am
by Philulhu
Luck (41%) - 1d100

Edit: Nope 🙄

”I’ll do my best!” said Kris, flashing his lights and using his horn to try to clear a way through the traffic.

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:32 pm
by Mephistophilis
There's a couple of cars that have pulled over to the hard shoulder, but no blue SUV that Kris or Jocelyn can see, nor ahead of them on the road. As it's a Sunday evening the traffic isn't too heavy and Kris is able to wind through the other vehicles without much difficulty and is soon at Beaconsfield M40 junction with the A355. The services and the town beyond are dark, just like Wycombe.

Turning off the motorway and down the A-road they're relieved to see the streetlights casting their orange sodium glow over the road's surface, the blackout obviously doesn't extend this far. Looking out the car window the moon's surface has returned to it's usual appearance and everyone feels a bit safer in an area with some power and lighting.

Five or ten minutes down the A355 Kris has an unusual sensation, a prickling down the back of his neck, something at the periphery of his vision. In the back of the car it is more obvious, the streetlights behind the vehicle have gone dark. Then for a few hundred yards ahead they start to blink out, one by one. Darkness advancing ahead of them, one light at a time.

Kris feels the driving become jittery, like there's a strong wind buffeting the car. Simon and Jocelyn can feel it as well, subtle movement in the vehicle, a low whooshing sound. It's peculiar, almost rhythmic, repeated, regular gusts of wind. Like the downdraft from beating wings.

San 0/1 please.

What is Balfour up to? The way he's able to affect things in the vicinity of the car even when it's moving, has he implanted something inside it? If he could do that then there could even be a bomb on board!

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:38 pm
by Silver Priest
Simon continues to rant all the way, various halfsensical theories as to the power and reach of Balfour's cult.

As the movement begins to affect the vehicle, he grows more animated. "My God, he's planted something in our car, he's managed to find a way to hack into the interface and take control! Pull over Detective; we need to get out of here before he causes us to crash!"

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:34 am
by Mr. Handy

"It's following us," says Jocelyn, a bit nervously.

Sanity roll (current level 55) for sensing the phenomenon following us:
d%

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:19 am
by Philulhu
SAN (64%) - 1d100

”That’s enough, Simon!” Kris said firmly. “We’re not going to get out of this with you panicking like that.”

He looked around for somewhere to get off the street and undercover. Was there anywhere nearby?

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:43 pm
by Silver Priest
"I'm not panicking!" Simon retorts. "I'm being perfect logically. Balfour's hacked our car. He may have put a bomb onboard! Pull over now!"

He begins to wonder if he should jump out of the moving vehicle. The others may be too stupid to realize the danger they're in, but he knew.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:48 pm
by Philulhu
”When I find cover!” Kris snapped back. “I’m not getting out of this car with whatever is up there flying about!”

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:49 pm
by Mephistophilis

There are lights up ahead, maybe a mile or so down the road. On either side of the carriageway there is tree cover and to the right Kris can see an entranceway or drive that disappears into the trees.

If Kris wants to do anything drastic, like turn across the carriageway and into the trees, then roll Drive Auto.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:18 pm
by Philulhu
Kris is a pretty poor driver - you just need to check out the dents and scrapes on his car to realise that! Anyway, here goes…. (26%)

1d100

”Hang on!” said Kris, hauling the steering wheel to the right. The car swerved and he knew straightaway that his manoeuvre wasn’t going to go to plan.

“Shi-it… … …”

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn braces for the inevitable collision, thinking that, once again, she should have been driving.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:05 am
by Philulhu
Kris never really left his boy racer years behind… :o

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:34 pm
by Mephistophilis

Spotting the opening on the right, Kris turns the steering wheel hard and the Astra careens across the oncoming lane then begins to skid as the wheels reach the gravel of the driveway. Despite Kris's best efforts to get the car under control, it slides across the entryway and into the trees lining the driveway. The car bumps and scrapes over rocks and bushes, a nasty grinding sound emanating from the undercarriage. Eventually it comes to a rest with the bonnet embedded in a metal post and the front wheels straddling a low wall.

What did he say? Balfour has hacked the car and caused a crash. But there could still be a bomb!

No hit point losses for the crash (everyone wearing their seatbelts, this is the UK). I can't speak for the state of the car though

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:05 pm
by Philulhu
”Damn it!” Kris swore and thumped the steering wheel. Leaning over, he would down the window to see if he could still see the shadow above them.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:10 pm
by Mephistophilis
Slowly winding down the window, a sharp branch scratches against the glass makes a continuous high pitched screeching noise until the window is fully open, at which point it flicks in through the open gap and into Kris's face. It is next to impossible to see anything in the sky through the overhanging trees and foliage, only the tiniest shafts of moonlight penetrate through the leaves. There's no wind either, just the gentle hum of the occasional car passing by on the road behind.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:26 pm
by Philulhu
Kris spluttered as the branch hit him in the face, swore again, then snapped it off and threw it out of the window irritably. Rubbing his face, he looked upwards again. ”I can see moonlight,” he said. “We may have lost it.”

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:57 am
by Silver Priest
Simon immediately tries to get out of the vehicle. "He made us crash, don't you see? He was watching us from that SUV, probably controlling us remotely. Now that we're unable to escape he's going to activate the bomb. Get out, quickly!"

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:07 am
by Mr. Handy

"If he were going to blow us up," says Jocelyn, "wouldn't he have done it already? All things considered, this could have been a lot worse." She still gets out of the car, though, seeing as it isn't going anywhere. She takes out her mobile and tries to get a signal.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:38 am
by Philulhu
Kris rolled his eyes at Simon’s outburst but nevertheless got out of the car to take a look underneath.

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:45 pm
by Mephistophilis
The three of them climb out of the beached Astra and scramble through the surrounding foliage. A few tears and scratches later they can survey the scene of the crash. The car has skidded off the driveway before reaching an open wooden gate, ploughing into the surrounding trees and crashing into what looks like an old stretch of abandoned wall, swallowed up by the undergrowth. Overhead, the limbs and foliage of the trees block out most of the night sky. After the noise of crashing through the bushes, the chill air is eerily still.

Jocelyn takes out her phone and wanders around looking for a mobile phone signal. Wherever she stands there are zero bars. Kris takes a peak under the car which is elevated off the ground by the brick wall stuck under the front wheels. He can't see a bomb or anything else that might have been attached to the vehicle...

Roll luck

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:08 pm
by Philulhu
41% 1d100

Edit :(

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:10 pm
by Silver Priest
"Step back!" Simon urges. "It could go off at any second!" He takes several long strides back from the vehicle. Hopefully Jocelyn gets a signal soon.

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:44 pm
by Mephistophilis
While Kris is no mechanic, he doesn't like the look of the underside of his car. That wall seems to have ground a furrow through the undercarriage and he suspects that some of those hoses and pipes aren't where they're supposed to be. Still, no bomb, that's something.

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:25 pm
by Philulhu
Kris sighed. ”It isn’t going to blow up - there’s no bomb, Simon!” he snapped impatiently. He stood up and brushed mud and leaves off his knees as best he could, then walked towards the road to see if there was any sign of the mysterious shadow.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's good," says Jocelyn. "If there had been, it wouldn't be safe to use a mobile. Might set off a device. Of course, I can't get a signal out here anyhow. Let's get back to the road and see if we can get one there."

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:10 pm
by Mephistophilis
Back on the road there are no street lights visible in any direction but a few cars trundle each way, illuminating the road with their headlights. The moon is mostly behind a cloud and the sky is overcast. Jocelyn still can't get a mobile phone signal.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:51 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Let's start walking in the direction we were driving," says Jocelyn. "Either we'll get a signal, or we'll eventually get where we're going."

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:12 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris knows it is probably at least an hour's walk to get to Slough from here.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:47 pm
by Philulhu
What time is it?

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:34 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris checks his watch, it's just after 8pm.

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:12 pm
by Philulhu
”Slough’s an hour’s walk,” said Kris. “We’d better get started. We might be able to thumb a lift on the way.”

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:31 am
by Silver Priest
"I would recommend against that," Simon says, coming out to meet the others. "Balfour could send one of his zealots out here to pretend to assist us then ambush us when we get in the car. We should avoid any offers of assistance."

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:05 am
by Philulhu
Kris rolled his eyes and went hunting in the boot for his waterproof jacket and ‘Police Aware’ sticker. He tried to lock the car as best he could. He didn’t want his priceless George Michael CD collection going missing from his glove box… … …

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"The sooner we get started, the sooner we'll arrive," says Jocelyn.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:02 pm
by Mephistophilis
The three of them start the long trek to Slough along the side of the A355. There's no pavement so they have to walk on the boggy grass verge, the way lit by Kris's torch, the light of their mobile phones, and the occasional passing headlights. The streetlamps are all dark, with heavy woods on either side of the road, and the sky still overcast, it is gloomy and foreboding. There's a chill in the air and the slight smell of dampness. After fifteen minutes or so of walking they have passed a few side-roads and there's the black shape of a pub or restaurant on the righthand side. There are no lights or signs that anyone's home.

There are plenty of passing cars - are you going to try and thumb a lift? Who would you target if you do? Would all three of you try and get in?

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:12 pm
by Philulhu
Kris will try and flag down any vehicles bigger than a sports car.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:34 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris can roll APP (with a penalty die for having his two companions) or Luck to get a big enough car to take them all.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:55 pm
by Silver Priest

Simon is still paranoid and would refuse to get in any vehicle unless convinced.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:10 pm
by Philulhu
Two penalty dice for his companions?! Is that ‘cos they is ugly?! 😬

He’ll try his luck instead (41)…

1d100

Edit: Ho hum…

Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's check the pub," says Jocelyn. "The lights could be out because of the power outage. There may still be someone there."

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:45 pm
by Mephistophilis
Although several cars pass them by, Kris doesn't think any will be suitable for the three of them. He doesn't fancy trying to squeeze into the back of an old Ford Fiesta with Simon still ranting and raving.

Jocelyn tramps through the wet grass to take a closer look at the dark building. The sign outside reads the Yew Tree. There's no lights visible from the outside and only a battered looking white panel van in the car park. Peering through the front windows and shining a light inside, it looks to Jocelyn like there are some renovations going on as she can see stepladders and tins of paint.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn tries knocking on the door.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:46 am
by Philulhu
Kris joined Jocelyn by the door. He had his warrant card in hand, just in case anyone was there but were reluctant to let them in.

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:01 am
by Silver Priest
Simon follows behind, keeping an eye out and still cautious.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:42 pm
by Mephistophilis
Jocelyn is banging on the door for quite some time before they hear someone moving about behind and a faint light glimmers through the glass. Eventually locks and bolts are disengaged and the door slowly opens. Inside is a balding white man in his thirties. There's a definite waft of alcohol as the door first opens. He's holding a large white candle in one hand and a metallic mug in the other. He's dressed in paint spattered overalls.

'Yeah, waddaya wan't?' he asks sulkily, before clocking Kris's warrant card and straightening up. 'How can I help you officer?'

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:33 pm
by Philulhu
”Do you have a phone? My car came off the road a way back. I think it’s a write-off,” said Kris.

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Phone ain't working mate,' he says, taking out a battered Nokia and showing Kris that he's got no signal.

'You know how long this power cut is going on for?' he asks. 'I'm supposed to be painting this place but I can't do nuthin' in the dark!'

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:46 pm
by Philulhu
”We have no idea at this stage but the power company will be working on it,” replied Kris, more confidently than he felt. He looked back towards the car park. ”Is that your van?”

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:18 am
by Mr. Handy

"We could use a lift," says Jocelyn.

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:04 am
by Silver Priest
Simon relaxes slightly, confident this man is not one of Balfour's agents-- for the moment, anyway.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
The man looks at his mug and then back to Kris, 'I ah, um, sure, that's my van. I'm not really supposed to be going anywhere, I've gotta paint this place. Don't think the boss'd like me leaving it in the dark without any power. Anyways, where're you going?'

I suggest some kind of social skill roll to get this guy to agree to give you a lift. As a police officer I'd say Kris gets a bonus die.

Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:06 pm
by Philulhu
”I need to get to a safe house,” replied Kris, with a straight face.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:43 am
by Mephistophilis
The guy looks at Kris, cocking his head to one side like he didn't quite catch what he said. 'A, uh, what?'

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:16 pm
by Philulhu
”A safe house. A place of refuge in Slough,” replied Kris. ”We need to get Dr Eagleton here to a place of safety, so can we borrow your van? Either you can drive us or give me your number and I’ll let you know where it can be collected.”

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:39 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Oh right, yeah, a safe house.' He looks between his van, his mug, and Kris, seemingly caught in indecision.

So that'd be a Fast Talk roll usually - as you're lying to him - I'd say any of you could roll Fast Talk with advantage since you are a police officer - still, your chances are really bad (I don't know why Fast Talk has such a low base chance). Otherwise I'll let you roll Persuade or Charm without a bonus die.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:48 pm
by Philulhu
55% - 1d100

Balls! :roll:

Can I push the roll?

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:54 pm
by Mephistophilis
Of course you can push the roll. I'd say maybe try and Intimidate him a bit. Negative consequence is he'll refuse to help at all and might get a bit belligerent. Success and he'll lend the van.

Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:57 pm
by Philulhu
”Look, this is vitally important!” snapped Kris, waving his warrant card in the guy’s face. ”If we don’t get to the safe house, everyone’s in danger, and I mean everyone!” He pronounced the word phonetically, as if talking to someone who wasn’t especially bright. “Now, I don’t want to have to do this, but if you don’t let us use the van, then I’m going to give some serious thought into arresting you for obstructing a police officer in his lawful duty. So what’s it going to be?”

55% - 1d100

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:58 pm
by Mephistophilis
The man's eyes widen and his mouth slowly drops open and stays there. 'Uh, um, uh, take the van...' He scrabbles about in his pockets for his keys, dropping his mug and candle in the process. The fallen candle lights whatever liquor was in the mug and the spill dances with a blue flame.

Eventually he finds a big bunch of keys and hands them to Kris, clearly his house keys are still attached. 'Here you are, um, call the number on the dashboard, that's the company. They're based in Watford so hopefully they've got power and phone signal. Tell em I'm here will you?'

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:22 pm
by Philulhu
”I will,” replied Kris, not bothering to take note of the man’s name. He took the keys and turned towards the door. “Let’s go,” he said to Simon and Jocelyn.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:19 am
by Silver Priest
Kris steamrolling the man was enough to briefly knock Simon out of his paranoia. "Well done, officer!" He congratulates.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Agreed," says Jocelyn, "only perhaps I should drive this time."

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:15 am
by Philulhu
”Thanks,” said Kris. “Now let’s see what we’ve got.”

He headed out the door and walked over to the vehicle, giving it a quick once over as he did so, eyeing the tyres and the bodywork to see if there were any immediate problems.

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn also inspects the van.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:24 am
by Mephistophilis
It's a pretty standard white panel van, about five years old judging by the registration. A few dents and lumps in the bodywork, some rusting around the door frame. From the outside it looks like it'd get you to Slough okay. Kris unlocks the van and peers inside the cab. It's a bit scratched and dirty, with a copy of the Sun newspaper on the dashboard, but otherwise seems serviceable. There's only two seats in the front, someone will need to sit in the back, which isn't quite legal.

Opening the rear doors to reveal the back of the van, it's full of old pain tins, brushes, rollers, overalls and paint-splattered sheets. There's just about room for someone to squeeze in the back and hold on tight. You wouldn't want to be in there if someone turned the van over, but that's unlikely to happen.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:06 am
by Mr. Handy

"It'll do," says Jocelyn, slipping into the driver's seat, fastening her seatbelt, and starting the motor.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:33 am
by Silver Priest
"I suppose I will sit in the back," Simon offers, squeezing in.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:55 am
by Philulhu
”Well volunteered, Simon! quipped Kris, taking the (relative) comfort of the passenger seat. “Follow the road the Slough and I’ll give you direction as we get closer,” he said to Jocelyn.

He picked up the Sun from the dashboard and started turning the pages, looking to see if there was anything of interest.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:08 pm
by Mephistophilis
As Jocelyn puts the van into gear and reverses out of the parking space, Kris opens up the Sun and after skimming a story about unseasonable weather in the home counties, he starts reading an article about the rescue of Regina Balfour and questions that have been raised about the heavy handed police actions and death or her kidnapper. There's another article about the Reverend Balfour's church and the increasing interest in their predictions of the end of the world next Tuesday night.

Jocelyn pulls out onto the A355 and joins the flow of traffic towards Slough. Sitting in the back Simon manages to hang on without sliding about too much. It takes her about fifteen minutes of uneventful driving to arrive at the outskirts of Slough and follow Kris's directions to his sister-in-law. They're all unnerved to see that the blackout now seems to extend to Slough as there are no lights to be seen.

They pull up outside the address Kris has provided. He's been here before so knows they're in the right place. There's no visible lights on in the house.

Roll Spot Hidden if you'd like

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:21 pm
by Philulhu
”Bloody shitrag!” grumbled Kris, folding the newspaper irritably and throwing it in the back of the van. He looked up as they pulled up in front of his sister-in-law’s house. “What’s happened to the lights?” he asked, peering out the window.

Spot hidden (40%) 1d100

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:36 pm
by Mr. Handy

"The lights are probably out here for the same reason they're out all around us," says Jocelyn as she looks around, her eyes perfectly adjusted to the dark. "The outage has spread."

Spot Hidden roll (60% skill) outside the house:
d%

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:03 pm
by Silver Priest
"Balfour's doing, no doubt." Simon mutters. "He's always been one step ahead of us. We need to start thinking about taking the initiative. Perhaps we should contact Lucy Bates; she may be one of the few who realizes we need to stop Balfour by any means necessary."

1d100

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"If we can get a connection, we'll give her a call tonight," says Jocelyn.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:52 am
by Philulhu
“Let’s go and find out,” said Kris, opening the van door and looking up to check the sky before he got out.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:15 pm
by Mephistophilis
All the houses in the street are indeed dark, the power outage clearly having spread to the town. But Jocelyn notices that while most of the other houses seem to have flickering candles or bright mobile phone lights flashing from inside, Prisha's house is completely black.

Climbing out the van and looking up into the night sky, Kris is relieved to see the clouds dissipating and a bright moon and stars casting a silvery light over the street. It's quite impressive how much more you can see of the stars and constellations when the lights are out.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:23 pm
by Philulhu
Kris walked quickly up the path and knocked on the door. ”Prish! Brian! It’s Kris!” he called through the door.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:32 pm
by Mephistophilis
As Kris knocks on the door he realises it wasn't even shut, and it slowly swings open, revealing the silent, black house.

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:37 pm
by Philulhu
”Shit!”

With a sinking feeling, Kris lit the torch on his phone then flicked out his Asp, using it to push open the door and look inside.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:38 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn stands ready with her mace to back up Kris, also concerned that something has happened due to the absence of any light.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:18 am
by Silver Priest
"I have a bad feeling about this," Simon says,stating the obvious.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
Entering the hallway and flashing around his mobile phone torch, Kris can't see anything obviously untoward, the house is still. He moves through to the living room, there's no one there, then across to the dining room. Empty. There's placemats, mugs, and half full glasses on the table. Kris feels one of the mugs, not warm but there's a faint heat left in it.

Can you give me a Sanity roll 0/1 due to fear as to what has happened to the family.

There's a faint noise, not easy to make out, but it's coming from the rear of the house - the kitchen or maybe the garden - it sounds like laughter.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:11 pm
by Philulhu
SAN (64%) - 1d100

‘Shit! Shit! Shit!’ thought Kris. Bina was never going to forgive him if anything happened to her sister!

He paused and took a deep breath. ‘Control yourself. Start thinking like a policeman!’ he told himself, then he looked around the room. It didn’t look like there’d been a struggle so did they go outside. Had something happened to draw their attention? He put his hand on one of the mugs. How cool was that? Five, ten minutes? He couldn’t be sure.

He didn’t think they’d be in the house, but he’d have a quick look to be sure, flashing his torch around the kitchen before heading upstairs to check the bedrooms.

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:43 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn shines her phone's light around, looking for any sign of recent presence, human or otherwise.

Listen roll (55% skill) in the house:
d%

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:13 am
by Silver Priest
Simon tries to keep an eye out, though he's still on edge.

He hears something, though. "Something's coming from the rear of the house, maybe the kitchen or garden." He whispers. "It sounds like laughter."

Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:26 am
by Philulhu
Kris paused at the bottom of the stairs and re-traced his steps to the kitchen. ”Lights off,” he instructed Simon and Jocelyn as he tried to peer out into the darkness…

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:56 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn flicks off her light and looks out into the darkness.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:33 pm
by Mephistophilis
There's definitely movement in the garden. And the faint sound of voices.

Looking out the windows of the kitchen the moon is visible above the horizon of houses and garden fences. There are few clouds now and a plethora of twinkling white pinpricks dot the black blanket of the night sky.

The substantial and well maintained garden is bathed with a sickly pink hue, there seem to be three or more people gathered around some kind of structure or instrument in the middle of the immaculate lawn. They're huddled down and it's difficult to make out who they are, men, women, children, it isn't clear.

The unusual pink glow comes from the dark orange or even red lunar surface, a blood moon.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:31 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Do we call out to them?" whispers Jocelyn.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:08 am
by Philulhu
”There’s no light. Are they stargazing?” said Kris. He’d heard of people travelling to places referred to as ‘dark skies’ to get away from streetlights and the like so they could see the stars better, but he’d not heard Prisha or Brian mention it before.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's possible," Jocelyn whispers back. "That blood moon; it must be a lunar eclipse."

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:18 am
by Silver Priest
"Why would they be stargazing in your relatives garden?" Simon points out, retaining his sense for a brief moment. "Based on everything we know so far of Balfour's reach, we have to consider they may be in his employ and up to something. Show your badge and interrogate them."

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:08 am
by Mr. Handy

"They may actually be his relatives," whispers Jocelyn. "You know, Passover is always on a full moon. It's the fifteenth day of the month on a lunar calendar. A lunar eclipse can only happen when the moon is full. But it's a little too early in the year for it to be Passover."

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:15 am
by Philulhu
Kris moved over to the back door and very gently depressed the handle, trying to open the door without being heard.

Stealth (20%) - not got great hopes for this… 1d100

…but it worked anyway! 8-)

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:31 pm
by Mephistophilis
Slipping through the back door into the garden, Kris is able to get a better look at the figures. There's actually four, not three. Two are small, children perhaps. And two are taller, adults maybe. They're stood around something mounted on a tripod, it's a large cylinder the diameter of a football and more than twice as long, pointing up into the sky, there's a much smaller cylinder, like a viewfinder, attached to the top. Kris reckons it's some kind of posh telescope and they all seem to be huddled around the eye piece at the rear of the instrument.

Now he's close he can recognise Prisha, Brian, and their two kids. Brian is saying something about the telescope, '...not often we get a chance to use this beauty...without all that light pollution...positively breathtaking...' The children look bored and he can see one of them chucking stones at the fence when no one else is looking.

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:14 pm
by Philulhu
Kris rolled his eyes. He flicked on his torch and in a firm voice said, ”Thames Valley Police! This is a raid!”

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:49 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn also approaches, though not as quietly as she would have liked. Still, Kris's shout will no doubt cover her approach. When she sees the scene in the garden, she relaxes.

Stealth roll (60% skill) entering the garden:
d%

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:57 pm
by Mephistophilis
At Kris's shout, Brian, short and ruddy, with muscled arms and legs but a bit of belly, straightens up suddenly, knocking the telescope which sways back and forth precariously. 'I um, er, I, ah...' he blusters.

Prisha turns and gives Kris a warm smile. 'Krishen, bahut samay ho gaya. kya haal hai?' She's looking well, Kris can't help but notice.

'Krishen, it's been too long. How are you?'

The children swarm over to him, 'Uncle Kris, uncle Kris..,' knocking the telescope even more and leaving Brian scrabbling to save it from tumbling over completely. 'Oh very funny PC Sapru, very funny.'

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:03 am
by Silver Priest
Simon also steps outside, making no effort to conceal himself. He's glad Kris' family are alright, having expected a terrible fate may have befallen them. But it's not long before he sees a sight that fills him with almost as much dread as Balfour and his schemes; small children, and clingy ones at that.

He does his best to stay in the background in hopes that they won't notice him.

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"Pleased to meet you," says Jocelyn. "I'm Jocelyn Leigh. I'm a consultant working with Kris on a case."

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:07 pm
by Philulhu
Kris swept up the kids in a bear hug, relieved to find everyone ok. ”Yah dekhane ke lie behatar hai ki aap sabhee surakshit aur svasth hain,” he said to Prisha.

He switched to English so Jocelyn and Simon could follow the conversation and put the kids down. “You help your dad sort out his telescope. I need a quick word with your mum,” he said. Taking Prisha’s arm, he steered her back to the kitchen, quickly introduced Simon and went and locked the front door. “Sorry to drop in like this, but there’s something strange going on. We’ve got involved in this case with some religious fundamentalist who’s trying to bring about the end of the world…”

”All the better for seeing you're all safe and well.”

Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:56 am
by Mephistophilis
'Nice to meet you,' says Prisha, taking Jocelyn's hand. She glances at Simon but since he's clearly trying to disappear into the background she doesn't say anything to him.

Once he's secured the telescope, Brian shakes Kris and Jocelyn's hands, also looking uncertainly at Simon. 'Not really a massively convenient time Kris, you've seen how the power's out. Thought we'd take advantage of the darkness try out my new telescope.' He points at it smugly until Kris makes his excuses and steers Prisha away. He goes back to showing the kids how to use the telescope but now Kris is here they're clearly even less interested than they were.

-----

At the mention of the Balfour case, Prisha says, 'Yes, we heard about that on the news. Didn't someone die in the struggle? I do hope you weren't hurt.' When he locks the door she looks concerned, 'Are you at risk? Are...are we at risk? What about Bina?'

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:33 am
by Mr. Handy

"The abductor died," says Jocelyn. "Kris wasn't hurt. I did take a shotgun blast, but I was wearing my vest. I'll be okay."

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:30 am
by Silver Priest
"Everyone's at risk," Simon points out. " Reverend Balfour intends a massive terrorist attack after he sacrifices his daughter in a dark intimation of the Story of Issac."

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:48 am
by Philulhu
”Bina’s fine,” replied Kris, although he knew she’d be dealing patients at the hospital and without mains power, she’d have a crisis on her hands.

He looked out of the window. “I don’t think you’re at risk but it might be better to get Brian and the kids inside. They look bored shitless anyway…”

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:53 pm
by Mephistophilis
Prisha looks shocked at Kris's words and downright scared at Simon's ravings. She quickly gathers up Brian and the kids. She offers Kris, Jocelyn, and Simon a light supper, fortunately they still have gas so she can heat up some curry and rice.

There is little small talk and everything is quite subdued. Once he finds out about the threat, Brian is tense, borderline hostile even, particularly with Kris. Early enough in the evening Prisha and her family retire to bed. Brian makes a big show of locking all the doors and windows and grumbling about how the blackout has disabled his alarm system. Prisha shows Jocelyn to what looks like an office with a camp bed. Kris and Simon have to share, Kris gets the single bed while much to Simon's horror he has a mattress on the floor.

So feel free to have any discussions about your plans - any insanity will resolve over night with a sleep - you can also roll to improve checked skills - and roll to improve Luck - no Sanity bonus I'm afraid (you might have got one if you had saved Regina AND Lindsay) - I don't think anyone has a major wound so you get to recover 1HP per day.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:53 pm
by Philulhu
Intimidate 15%* 1d100 Success - 1d10
Law 50% * 1d100 Success - 1d10
Listen 35%* 1d100 Failed
Persuade 55%* 1d100 Success - 1d10
Psychology 30%* 1d100 Success - 1d10
Spot Hidden 40%* 1d100 Failed

Luck 41% 1d100 Success - 1d10

Edit: Remind me about Luck - is that a roll under or over the existing value?

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:50 pm
by Mephistophilis
Luck is like skills, roll over and gain 1d10. Under and nothing. So you're more likely to gain Luck if it is low.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:08 pm
by Philulhu
A stocking 4 points of Luck recovered… :roll:

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Is there a record of our checked skills anywhere?

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:46 am
by Silver Priest
Simon asks Kris if he's willing to take the floor while he takes the bed. He's still recovering from his wounds, after all.

1d100

1d10

1d100

1d10

1d100

1d10

1d100

1d100

1d100

1d10

1d100

1d100

1d10

1d100

1d100

1d100

1d10

1d100

1d10

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:53 am
by Silver Priest

1d100

1d10

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:12 pm
by Philulhu
I realised that I missed a skill check for Stealth (20%). Here goes…

1d100 (Success :D )
1d10

I’m happy to be overruled by the Keeper but Kris thinks Simon will recover just as well sleeping on the mattress… ;)

Sat on the padded leather office chair in front of the computer in the study (which Prisha eye-rollingly referred to as Brian’s throne for talking to his fellow space-nerds’) Kris said, ”What’s our plan of action?” After a good night’s sleep, of course.” He patently ignored Simon’s plaintive look…

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:44 pm
by Mephistophilis
Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:11 am Is there a record of our checked skills anywhere?
I think everyone else kept a record of passed tests in their character's sheet. If you don't want to look back over all the threads I suggest you pick 7 skills you think you might have used. If it is under 50% you roll to test against the skill plus 20% - roll over and you can improve. If the skill is over 50% add 10% and do the same. That way it is harder for you to advance but you still get a chance and can even pick the skills to try. That sound okay?

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:30 pm
by Philulhu
I found one I missed by searching for 1d100 - the notation for the dice roller.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:29 am
by Mr. Handy

Thanks, but I do intend to go through the previous posts and find all my successful rolls. I just don't have time to do it right now. It might not be until the weekend when I do. Where should I start? At what point did we last roll for increases?

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:25 am
by Mephistophilis
We've never rolled to increase. It's only been a few days in game.

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:16 pm
by Philulhu
Unfortunately some of the early results that pre-dated the change to the dice roller aren’t showing up. They show up if you search using 1d100 but you might have to try to determine success or failure from the Keeper’s subsequent posts… :(

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:21 pm
by Mephistophilis
OOC:   Do your best. I trust you, it's just a game.  

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:22 am
by Mr. Handy

Spot Hidden (60% skill) XP check:
d%
Spot Hidden increase:
1d10
Listen (55% skill) XP check:
d%
Listen increase:
1d10
Persuade (60% skill) XP check:
d%
Persuade increase
1d10
Drive Auto (50% skill) XP check:
d%
Psychology (55% skill) XP check:
d%
First Aid (60% skill) XP check:
d%
Dodge (32% base skill) XP check:
d%
Dodge increase:
1d10
Occult (20% skill) XP check:
d%
Occult increase:
1d10
Fighting(Brawl) (60% skill) XP check:
d%
Fighting(Brawl) increase:
1d10
Luck (44% stat) XP check:
d%
Luck increase:
1d10

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:15 am
by Mephistophilis
So I think you've all rolled. What's the plan? You've got Monday to work/rest/whatever. Then Tuesday the Church of the Passover Angel is planning a big service. You going? There's going to be armed police there. Malone is going to try and keep Regina away. Jocelyn has requested surveillance on Balfour in the run up to the service (I guess Monday and Tuesday daytime), you guys joining in?

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:38 am
by Philulhu
After a good night’s sleep (which Kris is convinced Simon will achieve sleeping on the floor) and some sweet pongal for breakfast, Kris will feel much better about the world and will be ready to face the day.

I guess we’ll take part in the surveillance? Trying to keep the pressure on Balfour?

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:30 am
by Mr. Handy

Yes, that sounds like a good plan. We'll just have to be careful not to let Balfour see us, unless of course we want him to see us to get him off balance.

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:07 am
by Silver Priest
Developing a sore back and fresh resentment for Kris, Simon is in a foul mood.

Once he gets the others alone he does voice skepticism, however, and his eyes show a deep tiredness; but also the flaming zeal of a zealot.

"We've no reason to think we've stopped Balfour or deferred him from carrying out his plan. The holographic projector he used yesterday to stage the eclipse is yet more proof he still has the capability to carry out his plot. I am not convinced surveilling him will do much of anything-- he's been consistently one step ahead of us so far. We must do something he won't expect.

"We know he values his daughter. I have a good relationship with child services, I believe I can get her released into our care. Upon which we can call Reverend Balfour and tell him we'll kill the girl if he goes through with his mad plot."
Seeing the likely horrified look of the other two, he rolls his eyes. "Oh, we won't hurt her, relax. But if he thinks we will he may hesitate long enough to miss whatever deadline he's operating under, and at least buy us some time-- or you both, anyway, better you're not implicated in this.

"My other suggestion is one of you procure me a firearm and I just shoot him. Or I run him down with a car. I'll be arrested, but I'm quite confident you'll be able to air Balfour's dirty laundry and prove that he was a terrorist, and I will be freed and lauded in short order for saving this nation."

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:12 am
by Philulhu
”Are you up to date with your medication, Simon?” asked Kris bluntly. “I think we need a better plan than kidnapping or attempted murder!” He shook his head.

Jocelyn, you’ve had experience of dealing with these types of people before so how do you think we should proceed? Personally I’m in favour of some overt surveillance to put Balfour under pressure, if you think that might work? We might need the DI to sign it off as Balfour’s going to complain the minute he sees me.”

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:49 pm
by Silver Priest
"And what is your 'better plan?' "Simon asks. "Surveilling and hoping he makes a mistake? He knows we're onto him and probably suspects we think he's suspicious given we're keeping Regina from him. But whatever his plan is seems to be continuing. Frankly, I think Lewiston had the right of it, save for his incompetence in carrying it out.

"We've tried to do this by the book this entire time and been thwarted at every turn. Even DI Malone thinks we're overreacting. But if Balfour has the influence to make people think the moon turned blood red and create localized hail storms, I fear he may have some way of unleashing a serious terrorist attack. Our only advantage, such as it is, is that he's constrained by his ridiculous superstitions to only want to time the attack for when he believes the world will end. It may have been what stopped him before. If you're not willing to go so far as kill him maybe burn down his church or something, anything to delay him from giving the go ahead to his men. "

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:02 am
by Philulhu
”I’m a policeman, Simon!” said Kris. “I’m here to uphold the laws, not break them! I’m likely to lose my job over this as it is - I’d rather not lose my freedom as well!”

He sighed. “If we can’t find another solution, then I’ll look the other way while you burn down his church, ok?”

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:52 am
by Mr. Handy

"We will not be following your suggestion, Simon," says Jocelyn. "It's not the church that's the issue, anyway, it's the shelter. It's the one place that Balfour believes he can ride out the apocalypse. Eliminate that, and maybe he won't go through with it this time - then again, maybe he'd do it anyway. Neutralising Balfour might not stop him. Sarah might be able to finish the job without him. Still, Balfour seems to me to be the sort who wants to do this himself. He believes he's been chosen, like Abraham. If we keep an eye on him, we'll be in a position to intervene when he inevitably tries something. As for noisy surveillance, that's a thought. It could rattle his cage, but he might just pull some strings to have us removed from the case if he notices our presence. If DI Malone won't listen, Balfour can go over his head."

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:20 am
by Silver Priest
"Fine," Simon sulks. "We will try it your way. I don't want to have to do anything illegal, but I'm just being realistic. Hopefully we'll find a way to stop him without having to resort to them.

He takes a deep breath. "Shall we get to it, then?'

Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:10 am
by Philulhu
Kris nodded. ”I’ll see if Prisha can lend us her car, otherwise it’s a taxi or Shanks’ pony,” and he went off to find his sister-in-law…

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:09 am
by Mr. Handy

"We also need to return the vehicle we borrowed last night," says Jocelyn. "I can drive one of them."

Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:48 am
by Philulhu
”That can be plan B,” Kris said over his shoulder as he left to find Prisha. ”If all else fails, we may need to return the van a bit later than planned.”

Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:47 pm
by Mephistophilis
In the morning Brian and the kids have already left. Only Prisha remains, sitting at the dinner table with a serious look on her face. There's still no power. No hot water. Simon is increasingly grumpy at the loss of his creature comforts. And the state of his shoes.

'Brian's very worried about the safety of the children Kris. And I agree with him. I'm going to have to ask you to leave today. I'm sorry.'

When Kris asks about borrowing the car she furrows her brow, clearly conflicted.

A Persuade roll with a bonus die I think. Otherwise it's the classy van - Simon will love it - a real Only Fools and Horses vibe.

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:12 am
by Philulhu
”I’m sorry, Pris,” replied Kris. ”I wouldn’t have come here if I thought we’d had any other option. We’ll be out of your way, if we can just borrow your car…”

Persuade (58%) 1d100

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:29 am
by Mephistophilis
Her shoulders slump. 'Okay, okay, I'm not going anywhere today. Just get it back by tonight. And don't tell Brian.'

Okay - where are we going today?

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:13 am
by Mr. Handy

"I'll drive," says Jocelyn. "Let's check in at the police station first and see if there are any new developments."

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:24 am
by Silver Priest
"Very well," Simon says. "Though I would recommend checking out Balfour's place as well if we're able to and get a chance."

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:02 am
by Philulhu
”Let’s just see what they’re saying on the news before we go,” said Kris, going over to switch on the TV.

Edited - see below

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:20 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris looks for a remote control and fruitlessly jabs at the buttons. Eventually he approaches the TV set and tries to find a switch to turn it on.

After waiting long enough to elicit some sniggers from Simon and Jocelyn, Prisha eventually says, 'Uh Kris, the power's still out.'

Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:18 pm
by Philulhu
”Just testing if you were paying attention!” said Kris testily, tossing the remote control onto the settee. ”Let’s go.”

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:39 am
by Mr. Handy

"Right," says Jocelyn, following. "I'll drive the van, and we can return it on the way."

Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:04 am
by Philulhu
Picking up Prisha’s keys, Kris lead the way outside. Before he got in the car, he scanned the sky for any sign of anything out of the ordinary.

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris scans the sky. It's a bit overcast but the sun peaks out from behind a cloud, the rays lifting the chill from his skin. There's no sign of blood moons or winged angels. Prisha's shiny black Range Rover sits on the drive. Kris unlocks it and climbs inside. So this is how the other half lives.

In another space on the drive is the battered van, and Jocelyn climbs into the driving seat. It seems she's got the worse part of this deal.

They both start their engines and switch on the radio, flicking between stations to find the local news. Tuning in to BBC Three Counties Radio, it isn't the news but the breakfast programme is talking about the power cut in Buckinghamshire. It seems it has spread and now covers most of Buckinghamshire, an area from Aylesbury in the north to High Wycombe in the south. But it has extended beyond Buckinghamshire into Slough, but not as far as Reading, Watford, or Oxford. It seems the power companies aren't sure what is causing it but they have assured the public that they're on the case.

Okay, so who is Simon going with and where's everyone going? Splitting up? Straight to the station? Going to pay a visit to the Balfours? Cooked breakfast and a hot cup of tea?

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:01 am
by Philulhu
Kris will need to head to the station to report in.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:46 am
by Silver Priest
Simon decides to go with Kris to get an idea of what precautions the police are taking against the Balfours.

"I'm aware you wish to do things by the book so won't press it, but perhaps we should contact Lucy Bates later. She saw at least some of what Balfour's capable of, and may be willing to assist us."

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:37 am
by Mr. Handy

"That's a good idea," says Jocelyn. "We should stop by the pub and return the van first. Then I can go with you to the station in Prisha's car."

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:20 am
by Philulhu
”Agreed,” replied Kris. “Let’s go.”

He switched on the seat warmers, checked his hair in the mirror, put on one of Prisha’s Celine Dion CDs and set off towards the station.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:21 pm
by Silver Priest
Simon sings along to My Heart Will Go On. Quietly.

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:22 pm
by Mephistophilis
Moving here.