Page 1 of 1

IC -27 - Stakeout! - Everyone

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:55 pm
by Mephistophilis
Monday afternoon, 15th March 2010, Lancaster Road, High Wycombe

Two days since Regina Balfour was rescued.

They pull up around the corner of the Balfours' house on Lancaster Road. Kris has already clocked Grey and Adebayo sitting in an unmarked car on the other side of the road. They're far enough away from the house to look less obvious but with a good view of the driveway to the corner plot. The house itself is well screened by high hedgerows. Two clean-cut young men, one black, one white, sitting together in the front seat of an unmarked police car, munching on snacks and staring at the house of Revd Balfour. Unfortunately they can't help but look like what they are, two police officers on a stakeout.

How do you want to approach this?

Re: IC -27 - Stakeout! - Everyone

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:45 am
by Mr. Handy

"You can't spell stakeout without takeout," says Jocelyn with a sigh. "We don't want to be seen talking to them, or we'll be made like they've probably been, and we can't use police radio or a certain nosy reporter will show up here. We'll have to call them on their mobiles after we conceal our car and tell them we're relieving them. Hopefully when they leave, Balfour will think the surveillance has been called off."

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:51 am
by Philulhu
Kris called Olly Grey. ”Congratulations, Constable Grey!” he said in a mocking drawl. “You’ve won this year’s Turner Prize in the live installation category. Your ‘Two Obvious Plods in a Panda’ has got everyone talking!”

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:33 pm
by Silver Priest
Simon chuckles, amused. "Very Sardonic, Detective Sapru."

Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:29 pm
by Mephistophilis
Olly Grey responds with his usual quick wit. 'Fuck off Kris. You relieving us or what?' In the background Kris can hear the voice of Chris Adebayo, 'Get a move on Kris, I'm busting for a slash. Too much coffee.' Olly chuckles to himself, it doesn't seem like they're taking this too seriously.

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's just tell them we're relieving them," says Jocelyn, rolling her eyes as she looks around for a good place to keep their car out of sight.

Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:01 am
by Philulhu
”Other than Chris’ near-incontinence, is there anything to report? Have you seen the Reverend Balfour at all?” Kris asked Olly.

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:39 pm
by Mephistophilis
'No sign of Revd Balfour but he's had a few visitors. Some lawyer, Acharya's the name we got back from the photo, and a couple of parishioners,' says Olly. Chris adds, 'Mrs Balfour went out in the car, we couldn't follow her and keep sight on the minister, gone for about an hour. Since she came back a few hours ago there's been some smoke coming from behind the house. Too risky to look any closer without being seen.'

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:55 pm
by Philulhu
”Ok, we’ll check that out,” said Kris. ”How were the parishioners? Scared? Angry? Bored?”

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:50 am
by Silver Priest
"And were any of them children?" Simon asks.

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:04 am
by Mr. Handy

"Maybe they're burning documents or other evidence," says Jocelyn, looking around for the smoke.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:47 am
by Mephistophilis
'No kids,' says Olly. 'And who cares what a bunch of religious nuts looked like?' he adds in a bored and irritable tone. Speaking over him, Chris says, 'Not scared or angry. Purposeful maybe. Like they've got something to get done.'

Spot Hidden to see if there's any smoke visible

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:51 am
by Philulhu
Spot hidden (40%) 1d100

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:02 am
by Mephistophilis
There is a plume of smoke rising from the area behind the Balfours' house. It isn't the clean smoke of a barbecue or a log fire. It's black and there's an acrid taste in the air. The dirty smoke you get from burning old fence panels or other treated wood.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:46 am
by Silver Priest
"I will remind you this church is on a terror watch list," Simon points out. "And fanatics can be dangerous. No one would have thought Regina would have been taken by a woman in the social services with an otherwise impeachable record." Mind, the more he learned the less he could fault her for it.

"Jocelyn, I believe you've proven yourself fairly good at sneaking about. Do you believe there's any value in getting closer and taking a look?"

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:12 am
by Mr. Handy

"There could be, if you both think it's worth the risk," says Jocelyn. "It's not the church that's on the watchlist, just Balfour. I'm sure he sent those church members to do something, but unless we know which ones or where they were going, there's not much we can do about it."

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:34 am
by Philulhu
”They must be burning something for a reason,” replied Kris. “Although at this stage, we’d probably believe the worst of everything they do.”

He thought for a moment, glancing up and down the street. “One of us could stay here and keep watch from the car - we can always lock the doors - and the other two could go and take a closer look?” he suggested.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:38 am
by Mr. Handy

"I had another idea," says Jocelyn. "We could anonymously tip off the fire brigade and report the smoke. It sure looks like a dangerous fire to me."

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:55 am
by Philulhu
”We could,” replied Kris with a grin. Normally he frowned upon the emergency services being called out for trivial matters, but this might just work! He craned his neck, looking up and down the street for a call box.

A mobile phone would do just as well, but the phone box would add a touch of anonymity.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:09 pm
by Mephistophilis
There's not many phone boxes left around nowadays but Kris is in luck. There's an old red box about five hundred metres down the street. He strolls down casually and opens the heavy cast iron door. The overwhelming stench of urine greets him. Holding his nose and placing his feet carefully he dials 999.

'Emergency, which service do you require? Fire, Police or Ambulance?'

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:02 am
by Philulhu
”Fire service, please,” replied Kris, doing his best local accent. “There’s smoke coming from a house on Lancaster Road. It’s coming from around the back - I think the kitchen’s gone up!”

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:11 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn manages not to laugh, but she can't hide a smirk as she watches and waits for the fire brigade to arrive.

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:16 am
by Silver Priest
Even Simon is greatly amused. He's hoping this move will finally knock Balfour off his game and they can capitalize on that.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:02 am
by Mephistophilis
It only takes a few minutes before a full size fire engine is rushing down Lancaster Road, lights flashing and sirens blazing. Grey and Adebayo have cleared off by this point and the engine parks up outside the house. A couple of firemen climb out and look at the plume of smoke. Then one gets back in the engine and turns off the siren but the lights are still flashing. As the two firemen begin to walk up the drive they suddenly stop, and seem to be talking to someone. It's difficult to make out who it is through the screen of high hedgerows.

Anyone going in for a closer look or are you going to let things play out?

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:40 am
by Silver Priest
Simon curses under his breath. "I don't imagine they'll be let in." He stays put for now.

Posted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:44 am
by Mr. Handy

"Should I try to sneak closer to overhear while they're distracted?" asks Jocelyn. "Or is it not worth the risk? We can always ask the fire brigade what happened after they leave."

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:41 am
by Silver Priest
"It would be nice to figure out what lies they're telling now," says Simon. "I suppose it depends on how confident you are that you can make it closer unseen. I don't think it's critical, however."

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:46 am
by Philulhu
How dense are the hedgerows? Could we get closer without being seen?

Kris is beginning to think he should have brought one of those reversible jackets and a range of hats* so he could change his appearance at will.

*Not withstanding any damage it would do to his hair, obviously.

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:17 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, it's probably not worth the risk," says Jocelyn. "I can probably remain undetected, but there's always a possibility that I'll be made. We'll talk to the fire brigade when they're no longer in sight of the house."

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:13 pm
by Mephistophilis
The hedgerow is tall and thick. I guess that means it would be relatively easy to get close and listen in. I'd say it is a Stealth roll with a bonus die to remain unseen and then a Listen roll to hear what's being said.

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:31 am
by Mr. Handy

In that case, I think I should go for it, unless anyone else objects.

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:27 am
by Philulhu
Kris’ stealth is 27 so he isn’t the most subtle… anyone else want to have a crack at it?

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:21 pm
by Silver Priest

Give it a try, Mr.Handy!

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:31 am
by Mr. Handy

"Wish me luck," says Jocelyn, slipping out of the car. She approaches the hedgerow quietly, pretending to be just a curious passerby if anyone sees her. Nobody does, and she is able to hear everything.

Stealth roll (60% skill) to sneak up to the hedgerow:
d%
Bonus die:
1d10*10
Listen roll (56% skill) to overhear the conversation:
d%

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:38 pm
by Mephistophilis
It's Rev Balfour and two other men, presumably the firemen. They're having some kind of argument. 'Listen Sir, just let us take a look and make sure everything is okay. That's quite a lot of smoke you've got coming out of your back...'

'It is just a little bonfire,' interjects Balfour a little testily. 'This is private property and I can assure you that the fire is quite under control. Thank you for your assistance but it is not needed.'

'We're just doing our job Reverend. We had a call from a concerned member of the public about...'

Balfour snorts, 'I know about your concerned members of the public. They've been sitting outside my house all morning watching me. It is an absolute...'

'I don't know anything about that, we're just the fire brigade. If you could just...'

'My answer remains the same. No thank you. Now if you'll...'

'Do you want us to call the police and ask them to come and have a word with you?'

'Oh fine, fine, fine, fine...' shouts an exasperated Balfour. 'Follow me.'

There's some crunching footsteps and a few minutes later they return.

'Now that wasn't so hard was it?' 'Sorry for wasting your time Reverend Balfour. You have a nice day.' And the two firemen trudge back to the fire engine. Balfour walks to the end of his drive and looks at the spot where Grey and Adebayo were parked. He frowns then looks up and down the street without obviously taking any note of Kris's car. Jocelyn is safely pressed up against the bushes and isn't visible. He turns and walks back up the drive to the house and Jocelyn hears a door slam.

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:09 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn slips back into the car and reports what she observed. "He showed the fire brigade whatever it was he's burning," she says, "so it doesn't seem like he's destroying evidence. Maybe he's conducting some kind of ritual. He knew about the earlier surveillance, but he noticed that the other car is gone and didn't seem to see ours, so he may think it's been lifted."

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:14 am
by Philulhu
”Where did Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub* go?” asked Kris. We wanted a quick word about what they’d seen.”

*The name of the firemen from the children’s TV series, Camberwick Green.

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:15 am
by Mr. Handy

"Back to the fire engine," says Jocelyn. "I didn't want Balfour to see me when he looked outside, but it should be okay to go talk to them now."

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:25 am
by Silver Priest
"I want to learn what he showed them," Simon nods. "What may be insignificant to them may be entirely different to those of us in the know. A shame the officers here did not pay attention to those who came to visit Balfour. If I had to hazard a guess, a child was among them. Chances are he's trying to sell a new family on the 'honour' of letting him sacrifice their kid."

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:58 pm
by Philulhu
Can we see the fire engine? Can we get there without being seen?

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:03 pm
by Mephistophilis
The fire engine is parked outside the house. It's big enough that if you approach from the far side you probably won't be visible to someone inside the house, although they might realise someone is talking to the firemen if they hang around too long.

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:30 am
by Silver Priest
"One of you can introduce yourself to the firemen," Simon suggests, "Explaining this is a police matter. Ask them to pull down the road a bit and fill you in on what they saw inside. I'm not sure if we should leave yet; it does not seem likely Balfour knows we're here, so this may be a useful time to try and see what else we can observe."

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Agreed," says Jocelyn. "I think it should be Kris who talks to them. He's the only one of us with a badge and the authority that goes with it. We're consultants."

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:10 pm
by Philulhu
Kris couldn’t think of a good reason why he shouldn’t do it, so he sighed and got out of the car.

Walking quickly but casually so as not to attract attention, he approached the fire engine, keeping it between him and the house. He tapped on the door and flashed his warrant card.

DC Kris Sapru,” he said, introducing himself. “We’ve got an ongoing investigation and just need to ask what it was they were burning in there?”

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:35 pm
by Mephistophilis
The door to the fire engine opens and a man leans down to speak to Kris. He's dressed in a heavy black jacket and trousers trimmed with fluorescent strips and with a yellow helmet on his lap.

He looks over the warrant card. 'Yeah, well I can't say I'm surprised that nutjob has attracted your attention. Didn't wanna let us take a look out the back. Anyway, he's got a fire pit going there. Old fence panels, random bits of wood, even old furniture. And he's been boxing up all the ashes. Real creepy looking, but the fire's under control. Nothing for us to do.'

Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:16 am
by Philulhu
”Boxing it up?” asked Kris, puzzled. “Like putting the ashes in boxes, right? Cardboard or wooden boxes?”

‘What the hell is Balfour up to?!’ he wondered.

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:50 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Boxes, yeah, not cardboard boxes, those ashes can be pretty hot. But wooden boxes or crates, yeah,' he says. The other fireman leans over to listen, 'Looks like they were burning stuff then sweeping out the fire pit and boxing up the ashes when they were cool. Then burning some more stuff. Never seen anything like it.'

The second fireman laughs, 'Never seen anything like it? No surprise you weren't no Catholic altar boy Steve. It's Lent for fuck's sake, pardon my French. You know, Ash Wednesday, burning palm crosses.' He puts on a solemn voice, 'Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return,' he intones.

The first shakes his head, 'Nah, this ain't for drawing little crosses on people's heads. This is ashes for something bigger. Whatever that is.'

'Can't you use ash as fertiliser?' asks the second. 'Maybe they've got an allotment?'

Now it's the time for the first fireman to laugh. 'The shit they were burning? That'd poison the soil. But you're right Mark, I don't know anything about religion, but even I know this is a bit weird.'

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:01 pm
by Silver Priest
Simon keeps watching the house to see if there's any signs of people coming or going from it.

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:22 pm
by Philulhu
As you may be able to tell, I’m not Catholic,” said Kris.

”What would they be using the ashes for?” he asked the left footer.

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn also keeps watch on the house, ready to call Kris on his mobile to give him a heads up if it looks like anyone inside is paying undue attention.

Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:39 pm
by Mephistophilis
The second fireman looks over Kris then shakes his head. 'Guess not. But like Steve here says, you don't need boxes of ash for Lent, and Ash Wednesday was a month ago. Ashes mean repentance, but they burn the old palm crosses from the year before. Not fences and other nasty crap.' He shrugs. 'The Rev is some extremist isn't he? Maybe he's a got a job-lot of sins need forgiving?'

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:11 am
by Philulhu
”I wish I knew,” grumbled Kris. ”It would make my job so much easier!”

He risked a quick glance at the house, then back to the firemen. ”Anyway, thanks for the info, gents. Take it easy and stay safe.” He tipped them a mock salute then returned to the car, using the fire engine as cover again.

Balfour’s burning crosses,” he said, taking his seat in the car once more. ”The Palm Sunday one’s, not the big wooden ones the Klan burn… … … Is that linked to the Passover in some way? Didn’t they mark the houses of those to be spared?”

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:56 am
by Mr. Handy

"They put blood from a lamb without blemish on the doorposts and lintels to let the angel of death know to pass over their houses," says Jocelyn. "That's where the holiday gets the name Passover. The lamb was selected four days before that happened. Jesus Christ also rode into Jerusalem on that same date in the Jewish calendar. That's what Palm Sunday commemorates, as He was the perfect Lamb."

Today in 2023 happened to be Palm Sunday.

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:53 am
by Silver Priest
Simon finds this all rather superstitious, but given Balfour evidently possessed some sort of ability to conjure up "miracles" (He still had to figure out exactly how) he ponders. "So what, he's trying to mark his church as a place to be spared? It may benefit us to observe anyone else who comes out, see if they're carrying anything. If not, chances are they're all planning to seek sanctuary here when the end comes; though I suspect they are intending to anyway."

"I suppose we should question our next move. We have the advantage now that Balfour does not know we're here, so a bit of people watching cannot hurt. I still wonder if Lucy Bates can help us
," He says, referring to the officer that had led the raid on Lindsay's motel room. "She's seen enough to know Balfour is a threat, but given she's suspended her assistance would be rather limited unless we wish to pursue extralegal endeavors... and I know you both are against that. DI Malone has proven surprisingly reasonable recently, but without more to bring him I don't know what more we can expect from him."

"One final thing has been bothering me. Zero has been obsessed with me for the longest time. Since just after my solo interrogation with him, I believe. He keeps looking at me with an unreadable expression that I cannot figure out. He's pleased about something. It's driving me crazy truth be told, as I cannot help but think we're overlooking something, something important."
This is clearly frustrating to him, given he prides himself on his cleverness and cannot imagine someone like Johnny could get something over on him.

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:25 am
by Mr. Handy

"We could use Lucy's help," says Jocelyn. "At least one or two of us has to remain here to keep an eye on things, especially now that Balfour probably thinks the surveillance is lifted, and we can't count on the pair we relieved to be subtle. If anyone's going to talk to her, it should be Kris. I'd love to get a wiretap on Balfour, but I know my boss would never authorise it. I know he's up to something, and so are those church members he sent out earlier. I think they're planning to take shelter at the place they have prepared rather than here. Still, there are some things that only Balfour himself can do as part of his plan, and he'll want to do them himself. We have to stick to him and make sure he's always under observation."

Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:56 pm
by Philulhu
”I’m not sure how much Lucy Bates will be able to help but we could give it a try. It’s not like my career prospects could get much worse…” said Kris.

He pulled out his phone and sent a quick text. Lucy, its Kris. U got time 4 a chat?”

Personally, I hate ‘text speak’ but it’s just one of the ways in which Kris has failed to grow up… …

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:42 pm
by Mephistophilis
There's a few minutes delay but eventually Kris's phone pings. There's two words, 'Maybe. Yes.'

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:14 pm
by Philulhu
What are we asking her to do? Help with the stake-out?

Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:21 pm
by Silver Priest

I believe Malone suspended her due to whatever she saw in the motel room, so she's valuable in that she may be our only ally that knows just what we're up against.Given her current suspension she's limited in what she can offer us, but adding someone else to the stakeout could be useful. She's also someone who may have contacts or suggestions on what our next move could be.

Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:58 am
by Mr. Handy

Yes, I think that's the best use of her abilities too. She can free some of us up to do other things as needed, and her contacts, local knowledge, and ideas could be helpful.

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:17 am
by Philulhu
’Cud do w/ a hand w/ Balfour case’ Kris replied, his phone clicking noisily because he’d never got around to switching off the key press sounds.

Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:49 am
by Mephistophilis
'Still suspended. Bit shook up. Not much help.'

Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:32 pm
by Philulhu
’U sure? Wiv a bit of help we cud nail B’ Kris texted in return.

Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:31 pm
by Mephistophilis
'What you need?'

Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:34 pm
by Philulhu
’Help wiv a stakeout. Keep an eye on B while I find out more about wot he’s up 2’ Kris replied.

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:03 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris's phone rings. He answers it on the second ring. After checking the caller ID. It's Lucy Bates. In a voice that's both thinner and less assured than usual she asks, 'I don't suppose I've got any choice after what we've seen. You want me at Balfour's place? I can be there in ten.'

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:31 pm
by Philulhu
”Thanks, Lucy,” said Kris. He could hear the despair in her tone of voice. ”There’s no one else I could have called. I’ll see you when you get here.”

He ended the call and sat looking at his phone. He felt bad for asking her to get involved but they needed the help. He just hoped he didn’t regret it.

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:29 am
by Silver Priest
"This is a necessary step," Simon points out. "Ms. Bates is one of the few people we can tell our entire story to and not be seen as loons. Even if we only utilize her to keep watch on Balfour before his ceremony, it frees us up to investigate any further leads we have."

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:36 am
by Mr. Handy

"Precisely," says Jocelyn. "This way we can have two on stakeout duty and two doing something else. Without her, someone would be going solo, and that's not a good idea."

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:52 pm
by Mephistophilis
Ten minutes passes but there's no sign of Lucy. Another ten, still no sign. Eventually, a white Nissan Qashqai rolls up behind the pool Astra and then cuts off the engine. The driver door opens and someone gets out. There's a puff of smoke and the figure walks up the side of the Astra and peers in through the window. It's Lucy Bates. She looks rough, like she hasn't slept. There's a cigarette hanging out of her mouth and she seems twitchy, Eyes darting around. Hand shaking.

As Kris winds down the window, Bates leans against the car, gazing at Balfour's house beyond the trees. 'What've you got for me?' she asks.

Is that the smell of alcohol?

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:22 am
by Silver Priest

1d100

Simon gives a nod, but that remains it as far as pleasantries go.

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:52 am
by Mr. Handy

Jocelyn sums up what they've observed so far and what happened when they summoned the fire brigade. "You should have seen Balfour's face," she says. "You should get in a car before you're seen from the house. With two cars, if someone leaves the house, it's possible to tail them and still maintain surveillance here. I recommend that your car be the one to remain here. Let's get some coffee and food in you, too."

Spot Hidden roll (61% skill) when Lucy arrives:
d%

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:28 am
by Philulhu
”Err… hi, Lucy,” said Kris, trying not look too concerned at her appearance. ”It’s good of you to help.”

Spot hidden (40%) - 1d100

Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:36 pm
by Mephistophilis
Bates nods as Jocelyn describes what has happened, but doesn't add any of her own thoughts.

'I'm not hungry,' she says flatly, 'But I wouldn't mind a coffee. Black. Three sugars.' She gestures a thumb back to her car. 'You want me to sit there and watch the place? What're you guys going to do?'

Despite superficial appearances, Simon can see that Bates is looking very resolute, she's taking this seriously, fresh smell of mouthwash, work clothes. She's ready to go.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"That is a good question," says Jocelyn, preparing Lucy a coffee. "Now two of us are free to pursue other leads. The two they had on stakeout duty before were glaringly obvious. Balfour was surprised to see them gone when he looked outside talking to the fire brigade, and he didn't notice us either, so maybe he'll let his guard down. Kris, do you want to remain on stakeout duty, seeing as you're the only copper here who isn't on suspension and have authority the rest of us don't? That would free up Simon and me, and we'd need to decide where to go and what to do."

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:29 am
by Silver Priest
"Truthfully we're waiting for Tuesday, as that seems to be when Balfour is planning to do something to bring about the end of the world or something suitably nasty. We've managed to keep Regina from him until after the deadline passes as well as nab one of his trusted associates and keep him in custody. But Balfour appears unwilling to let his predicted apocalypse come and go once again. It's likely if he did so he'd lose some of his influence amongst his followers, and that's always important to these sorts. I suspect that lacking access to his own child he's going to use one of his congregation's. We've received reports some of them have been meeting with him today. I'd like to investigate that angle further, try to determine who leaves Balfour's place and if they have small children. If they do, stopping them from attending Balfour's sermon tomorrow is paramount." Simon explains, already feeling better about his decision to bring Bates in on all this.

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:32 pm
by Mephistophilis
Lucy gulps down her coffee and pours another cup. 'No Regina, that's good, that's good.'

When Jocelyn mentions her suspension she winces. 'Do you really think Balfour would harm a child?' Her voice trails off as she looks into the middle distance.

Then she smiles and shrugs, 'Are we getting the old team back together DC Sapru?'

Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:07 pm
by Philulhu
”It’s just us, Lucy,” replied Kris. ”I need people who are prepared to suspend their disbelief - most coppers are too rigid in their thinking. Or in Burke’s case, too limited.”

He considered Jocelyn’s suggestion and nodded. ”Ok, Lucy can help me with the stakeout and you two can go off information-gathering. Keep in touch and let me know if you find anything. We’ll do the same if anything happens here.”

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:10 am
by Silver Priest
"I believe he would." Simon declares. "His love for his daughter appears to be genuine, but he seems to believe God will prevent him from harming her like what happened with Issac. This is a test of faith for him. I imagine that's how he'll sell it to his followers as well, if he requires one of their children as a sacrifice."

"I'm more than happy to assist in investigating further, though we are rather bereft on leads at the moment." He frowns.

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Like you said," says Jocelyn, "we can follow up on the other church members, specifically the ones on Johnny's phone, and see which ones have children. They'll be the ones to try something. If we can't locate one or more of them, then we'll know who's up to something. I agree, I think he could harm a child, for the reason you stated."

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:10 pm
by Mephistophilis
Giving a wry smile Lucy says 'I think "rigid thinking" is flattering Burke, I'm not sure there's any thinking there at all.' She knocks back her second cup of coffee and looks slightly brighter.

'Are you letting these two go off in your service vehicle?' asks Lucy, thumping the roof of the battered Astra. Then she shrugs, 'I guess there's not much more damage they could do it. And I'm off the clock so it's not my problem. Come on then Kris...'

She strolls back to the Nissan and opens the driver side door.

So are Kris and Lucy going to do surveillance on the house for the rest of the day? Where are Simon and Jocelyn going?

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:41 pm
by Silver Priest

I like the idea to try and research and track down the church members listed on Johnny's phone, and try to determine which of them have young kids that might fit the bill for Balfour's sacrifice.

Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:21 pm
by Philulhu
Trying to find any ‘missing’ children sounds like a good idea.

Are Kris and Lucy using her car or his?

Posted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:54 am
by Mr. Handy

I'd say we should get our own ride and leave them both cars, so Lucy can stay on stakeout while Kris follows anyone who comes and then leaves. However, I think that horse has left the barn, and at the rate we're going through cars, the police are unlikely to lend us another. Balfour is more likely to recognize Kris's car than Lucy's, so we should probably take his and leave hers here.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:06 pm
by Philulhu
Left the barn, mounted a kerb and is now being rescued from a ditch, I think!

I can’t see the Police coming forward with another car so Jocelyn & Simon should take Chris’ car.

Are you insured to drive it?

Posted: Tue May 02, 2023 5:15 am
by Mr. Handy

I am. I also haven't crashed any cars; my own car was wrecked by hailstones after I stopped it safely.

Posted: Wed May 03, 2023 7:15 pm
by Philulhu
”I guess,” said Kris and he pulled out his keys and passed them over to Jocelyn.

”Look after it,” he asked her. “I don’t think my career could survive another crash.”

Posted: Thu May 04, 2023 4:46 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thanks, I'll do my best," says Jocelyn, accepting the keys. "I'm a good driver, but if the worst happens, blame it all on me."

Posted: Fri May 05, 2023 10:20 pm
by Mephistophilis
So where are Simon and Jocelyn going? If I recall the numbers from Johnny's phone were:

The control room gets back to Kris within a few minutes. 'The David number is a pre-pay, we've got no details on that, same with Winston and Zac. John is John Balfour, it's the number we already have for him. Same with Sarah, that's Sarah Balfour. Louise is listed as a Louise Hayman, address in London but she's not on the PNC, no convictions. Phil is James Williams, Wycombe address, nothing on the PNC except a speeding caution. Rachel is Rachel Johnson, also Wycombe, nothing on her. Then there's Steve, Steve Brown, address in London, got some convictions for drug possession and dealing about ten years ago.'

Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 3:05 am
by Silver Priest
"I suggest we call the police or look up in public records Louise, James, Rachel,and Steve. First we should determine if any of them have children, specifically young ones."

Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 5:53 am
by Mr. Handy

"Yes, that's where we should start," says Jocelyn. "We should pay especial attention to Steve Brown, who has a record. If Balfour wants someone to take Johnny's place for some nefarious activities, he's the most likely bet."

Posted: Sat May 06, 2023 11:28 pm
by Mephistophilis
Some previous research you've done:

Word has come back from the Metropolitan Police in London about the two addresses they visited. Louise Hayman is not known to them, runs a nail bar in Southwark, says she hasn't had any contact with Johnny for years and only knew him in passing back then. Steve Brown is known, used to run with the same crowd as Johnny back in the day, convictions for drug possession and dealing a decade ago but nothing since. Not on the Met's radar and currently working as a support worker in a drugs charity. He says Johnny was round a few months ago - asking about a few of their contacts from the bad old days and he got the sense he was after a gun. Steve says he didn't tell him anything.

You've also already met Rachel Johnson.

I suspect the police will have obtained or at least asked for a membership list of Balfour's church when they were searching for leads on Regina's abduction. I say Jocelyn or Simon should roll Luck to see if they handed it over.

Posted: Sun May 07, 2023 4:06 am
by Mr. Handy

Fortunately, the membership list is available now.

Luck roll (46% stat) to see if the police have provided the membership list:
d%

Posted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:03 pm
by Mephistophilis
It looks like Balfour provided a list of church members to help the police in their search for Regina. There's several hundred people on the list but there's no way of knowing how accurate it is. The list contains dates of birth for most people, and it looks like there are at least thirty children (under 18s). It seems like the Church of the Passover Angel is the sort of place you register your whole family.

I'm not going to give you a list of 200 random names, so let me know if there's anything you're looking for in particular.

Posted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:16 am
by Mr. Handy

What information do we from the list about the church members on Johnny's phone? Do any of them have children?

Posted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:30 am
by Silver Priest
"Too many names here, but at least we've narrowed it down. Let's try to narrow it down further. I don't think Balfour's interested in teenagers. He would likely be looking for someone around his daughter's age, give or take a year or two." Simon sees how many names this leaves them with.

Posted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:31 pm
by Mephistophilis
The names on Johnny's hidden phone are David, John, Louise, Phil, Rachel, Sarah, Steve, Winston, and Zac. They're mostly not involved with the church. Rachel Johnson doesn't have any children. You think Zac might be George Lewiston, no young children, deceased. Obviously there is John Balfour and his wife Sarah who have Regina. Of those not know to be with the church, Phil is James Williams you've already arrested, no kids. You've not managed to identify David or Winston. Louise Hayman has one daughter aged nine. Steve Brown has a two year old.

Scanning through the membership list of the church and looking for children aged four to six years old (one year either side Regina's age of five, reveals just two. Isobel Quinn and Jordan Hays.

HLdd4-61d10

Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:27 am
by Mr. Handy

"We need to find their current whereabouts," says Jocelyn. "MI5 could probably track their mobile phones, but we'd need some real evidence against them in particular before they'd agree to do it. It's interesting that Steve Brown has a child. He lives in London, though, so that would take some time to go there to check if he's there, then a round trip back if he isn't."

Posted: Wed May 10, 2023 6:37 am
by Silver Priest
Simon considers. "I think that we can rule Brown's child out," he says. "A two year old strikes me as too young. Both Issac and Regina were older. Regina mentioned Balfour told her the story constantly, so I think that he wants someone who can have their own faith in it. This is just a guess, of course--and I wish we had more information so that I could say for certain-- but at the moment it's the best we've got.

"Louise Hayman's could be worth looking into. But if we have to focus our resources, I'd suggest we focus on Isobel Quinn and Jordan Hays. They're close in age to Regina. I agree that tracking their phones are crucial. They'd have had to be here quite recently, I suspect; Balfour would have wanted to isolate them to convince them to agree to sacrifice their child; it's not the sort of conversation you have over the telephone. If we can connect either family here in the last 48 hours, I think we have a very good idea who Balfour is planning to use as the replacement. "

"Do you think you have enough sway to convince M15 to get us those records, or could come up with a decent story? If not, perhaps Kris or Bates could. Failing that, we target both of them tomorrow, using something like an anonymous phone call to swat them and delay them from making it to the ceremony. Maybe Hayman as well, but I'd rather not pull the same trick on three people connected with Balfour. It makes our involvement that much more obvious. If we have to do her, perhaps we puncture her tires or something."
Simon had grown quite comfortable with the idea of committing certain crimes over the course of this investigation, and admitting them to his police assistants.

Posted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:23 am
by Mr. Handy

"Let's not rule anyone out just yet," says Jocelyn. "We need to figure out who the guilty party or parties are before we take any action. Right now all we have is names on a list. And I don't think I have enough sway. My boss already thinks I'm crazy, and he might not be wrong. Summoning the fire brigade on Balfour was the best we could likely do in that department without arousing too much suspicion. What about Louise Hayman? Her daughter is nine, and her name was on the phone. The other two weren't. We could see if she's home."

Posted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:26 am
by Silver Priest
"If you really think it prudent we can check her out first, though I'm not sure what a direct approach will get us," Simon says. "If we spook her and she contacts Balfour, he'll know we're onto him. But without being able to determine precisely who has had contact with Balfour recently, I'm not sure I see a better option.

"For what it's worth, my preference would be to discretely sabotage the cars of anyone we suspect of being the family of Balfour's new chosen child in order to delay them. But you're the officer of the law. If you believe there's something to be gained from confronting Hayman directly, I'll support you to the best of my considerable abilities."

Posted: Fri May 12, 2023 5:14 am
by Mr. Handy

"No, I don't think we should approach her directly," says Jocelyn, "just check to see if she's at home, and her daughter. If they're not, we can ask the neighbours where they've gone."

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 2:49 am
by Silver Priest
Simon nods, finding nothing particularly objectionable with this plan.

Posted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:46 pm
by Mephistophilis
So Simon and Jocelyn are off to Southwark to see Louise Hayman? Home or work (she runs a nail bar). You driving?

Posted: Mon May 15, 2023 3:41 am
by Mr. Handy

I'll drive. What time of day is it. If the nail bar would likely be open now, we'll drive by there first. Did the files also have pictures so that we recognize her when we see her? I did very well on the Luck roll.

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:00 pm
by Mephistophilis
Simon and Jocelyn move here.

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:11 pm
by Mephistophilis

Kris and Lucy sit in her Nissan, watching the house. Lucy's not very chatty today and the wait is pretty uncomfortable for both of them. About half an hour after Jocelyn and Simon head off, Lucy nudges Kris and gestures to the house. 'Someone's on the move.'

A silver Suzuki SUV reverses out of the driveway before pulling off. Kris just manages to glance through the window as it passes, trying to make out who the driver is.

It's Sarah Balfour.

Posted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:39 pm
by Philulhu
Spot hidden (40%) - 1d100

”Damnit! Who was that Lucy? Did you see?” asked Kris, trying desperately to ID the driver…

Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:24 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris can't make out the driver, his position makes it too hard for him to get a good look. But Lucy starts the engine and pulls off, 'That's Sarah Balfour,' she hisses.

Bates follows the car, keeping quite close behind. Closer than Kris would like. Looking down at her hands, Kris can see her knuckles are red and she's muttering under her breath, staring unblinkingly at the car ahead. A few hundred metres down the road, at the roundabout leading to Desborough Avenue the SUV pauses, waiting too long at the line even though there aren't any cars coming the other way. Then it turns right and drives down towards the Marlow Road, heading in the general direction of the M40.

Spot Hidden 50%: 1d100 24
Drive Auto 55%: 1d100 87

Posted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:50 pm
by Philulhu
Kris thought about sarcastically asking Lucy if they thought they should follow her rather than keeping an eye on her husband but decided that her state of mind could only be improved by keeping his comments to himself.

”Ease back a bit, Lucy,” he cautioned. ”We don’t want to give ourselves away.” He pulled out his phone and sent a quick text to the others to tell them they were on the move, then checked the map on his phone, trying to work out where Sarah Balfour could be going. Back to Oxford?

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 10:23 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris can't see exactly where Sarah Balfour could be going. If she got on the M40 she could head towards Oxford or into London, but he can't think of an obvious reason she'd be heading to either.

Do you want to give me a Know, Luck, Stealth, or Drive Auto roll to get an idea what's going on?

Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 11:54 pm
by Philulhu
”Where the hell is she going?!” Kris muttered, hoping that they hadn’t just fallen for a ruse to get them out of the way…

Know (70%) - 1d100

Edit: Well that was a fucking disaster! I don’t have the luck points to rescue that! 🙄

Posted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:49 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris isn't sure where she's going but it's obvious she's going to try and get onto the M40 and head out of High Wycombe. There must be somewhere she's heading that they haven't figured out yet. Maybe she's going to London to meet someone?

Posted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:59 pm
by Mephistophilis
His phone beeps and Kris receives a message back from Simon.

Noted. Jocelyn is attempting to get eyes on Louise Hayman, one of the individuals listed in Johnny's phone. Please text an update if you require our assistance.

Posted: Thu May 25, 2023 12:17 am
by Philulhu
’Any of those suspects got a London address? We’re following Sarah B in that direction.’ Kris replied.

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:35 pm
by Mephistophilis
Pulling on to the Handy Cross Roundabout that leads to the M40, Sarah Balfour suddenly accelerates rapidly and away from Kris and Lucy. DS Bates curses and floors it, weaving out through the lines of traffic circling the roundabout. Balfour's silver Suzuki moves as if to leave the junction eastbound then veers back across two lanes, narrowly missing several other cars, and shoots over bridge that crosses the M40 itself.

Bates doesn't let up and Kris swears her Nissan is only an inch or so away from colliding with a van as she accelerates after the silver SUV. They just catch sight of it roaring past the westbound exit and back over the bridge having made a U-turn back towards Wycombe. 'Fuck this,' spits Bates and she guns it down the inside lane and then pulls out in front of a startled motorcylist to pull right up behind the SUV.

Balfour obviously notices her because she weaves across the road and smashes through some low metal fencing that marks where the two lanes of the approaching M40 slip road separate. Her car continues across the next two lanes, dragging twisted fragments of grey fencework, and mounts the grass verge at the far side, ploughing into a tree. The bonnet crumples and pops open, the airbags inside clearly deploy, and there's a cloud of steam or smoke that vents from the front of the vehicle.

Slowing down to a more reasonable pace, Bates continues around the roundabout and draws to a stop in the outer lane of the slip road. 'Well I think we can all agree that could have gone better. Since I'm still not working do you want to take the lead Detective Constable?'

OOC:   Guess who fumbled.  

Drive Auto 55%: 1d100 20
Drive Auto 35%: 1d100 100

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:46 pm
by Philulhu
”No shit, Lucy,” replied Kris dryly, popping his seatbelt and opening the door. ”I better go and check she’s still alive!”

He checked for traffic then ran over to Sarah Balfour’s car to see what damage the woman had done.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:28 pm
by Mephistophilis
The front of the car looks pretty messed up, wrapped around a tree. And the bodywork down one side is all scratched and deformed after ploughing through the fence. Just as Kris is starting to feel a little worried for Mrs Balfour's safety the driver side door springs open and she half jumps, half falls from the vehicle.

By now several drivers have stopped their cars and got out, looking to help her. A middle aged white woman runs over to her and asks if she's alright. Kris can't see Sarah Balfour's face but there's obviously something in the expression that makes the woman take her hands off her and back away, mouthing sorry.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:05 am
by Philulhu
Kris swore to himself. Something was up! He pulled out his Asp and held it ready in case he needed it as he moved closer to take a look at Sarah Balfour

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:13 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris advances on Sarah Balfour who is pushing herself up onto her knees. Another good Samaritan is approaching her, a young asian man in his late twenties. Kris can just make out him asking something like 'Are you okay?' when Mrs Balfour makes a lunge at him, grabbing his arm, and spinning him around. 'Look what you've done!' she hisses at him. The man pulls his arm away and walks a few paces backwards looking a bit bewildered.

A message from Simon reads:
Not really. One of Johnny's mates is in London, but I don't believe he's connected to this matter; he reported he came around a month or so ago and tried to indirectly ask how to get a gun. The two I suspect are both from families in Wycombe. I'll fill you in when we meet up. Keep me informed.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:51 am
by Philulhu
”Are you ok, Sarah?” Kris asked as he approached, the Asp still held ready by his side. ”You’ve had an accident and I think you need medical assistance.”

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:58 pm
by Mephistophilis
The woman turns at Kris's voice and looks at him. Her face wrinkles into a snarl. 'You! It was you!.' She lunges towards him, one hand outstretched.

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:06 am
by Philulhu
Kris flicked the Asp downwards and it deployed with a sharp, metallic rattle. ”You’ve had an accident and you need to sit down!” he said firmly.

What’s her state of mind? Shocked? Insane?

Psychology (35%) 1d100

Edit: Bang on the nose! 😎

Also, if she tries to assault Kris, he will defend himself with the Asp. Just the shame it isn’t her husband… 😈

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:28 pm
by Mephistophilis
Sarah Balfour's gaze is glassy, unfocused. There's blood running down her temple from what looks like a wound on her scalp. She looks angry but also confused, not shocked exactly, maybe concussed?

She lunges at him again and makes a swing for his face with her fingers. Kris lifts his ASP telescopic baton to defend himself but her nails rake across his cheek, deep and painful. He feels blood dripping down his face and pooling around his chin.

That's 3 damage I'm afraid. She got a crit. I took the liberty of rolling to see if Kris could get a crit Dodge - he didn't. Now Kris can act.

Fighting Brawl 35%: 1d100 1
Dodge: 1d100 33

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:47 pm
by Philulhu
Kris hissed in pain, the wounds stinging. ”Concussed or not, that’s enough!” he snapped.

He stepped back, taking a good look at her. ‘Remember your training,’ he told himself. He lowered the Asp, folding it behind his leg as he tried to talk her down.“Now for your own good, Sarah, please sit down and we’ll get you checked over. Ok?”

Let’s try Persuade (58%). I don’t think his Intimidate (18%) is going to cut it.

1d100

Edit: F*ck![/quote]

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:54 pm
by Mephistophilis
The woman sways on her feet unsteadily. A few onlookers are now standing at a distance, watching events unfold. One rough looking young guy shouts something largely inaudible, but definitely including the the phrase 'Hit him again.'

Blinking and shaking her head, Sarah Balfour stumbles forward.

Lucky for Kris that his Persuade is over 50% so he only Fumbles on a 100!

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:58 pm
by Philulhu
”Why not do something useful and ring for an ambulance,” Kris said firmly to the young man. ”She’s banged her head and isn’t herself.”

”Now Sarah, I want you to sit down. You’re not well.” He tried to step in sharply beside her, hook her leg to get her off balance and then lower her to the ground.

Unfortunately, Kris has precisely the wrong skills for this sort of thing, but here goes…

Fighting brawl (25%) 1d100

Edit: 8)

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:41 pm
by Mephistophilis
Projecting an air of confidence that he doesn't feel, Kris moves sharply in toward Sarah Balfour, placing himself well within her reach. He steps inside her leg and hooks it back, knocking the woman off balance and he grabs her as she begins to fall. Lowering her to the ground. She doesn't even fight back, just lies there blinking and looking confused.

From behind Kris there's a quiet cough, then he hears DS Bates, 'Skilfully done DC Sapru. Skilfully done.' She takes out a set of rigid handcuffs. 'Do you want to do the honours?'

Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:37 pm
by Philulhu
Kris took the handcuffs and deftly put them on Sarah Balfour’s wrists, quickly squeezing them closed. ”It’s for your own good,” he said. ”We don’t want any more accidents, do we?”

He looked over to the gobby twat who was mouthing off earlier. ”Did you ring for a ambulance?” he called over to him.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:47 pm
by Mephistophilis
The guy shrugs but almost simultaneously there's the sound of a siren and and ambulance comes around the roundabout. It pulls up beside Lucy's Nissan and a paramedic gets out.

Sarah Balfour is just kneeling there, dazed and confused.

'So what's happened here?' asks the paramedic.

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:58 pm
by Philulhu
”Vehicular accident,” replied Kris. ”Fortunately I was passing.” He briefly flashed his warrant card.

”I had to put the cuffs on her because she was getting violent.” He turned his head to show the scratches on his face. ”She seems a bit confused and may have banged her head…”

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:21 pm
by Mephistophilis
The paramedic nods at Kris's explanation and kneels down beside Sarah. He places a hand on her shoulder and talks gently to her. 'I'm just shining a light in your eyes...' He flashes a pentorch into each eye. 'Can you tell me what your name is?'

Mrs Balfour opens her mouth a few times, likes she's going to say something. Then closes it again. Giving her the appearance of some dopey goldfish. Eventually she's able to get out 'Uh, my name? My name is Sarah, Sarah Balfour. Can someone please call my husband.'

The paramedic looks back to catch Kris's eye. 'Sarah, you've been in a car accident. I'm going to have to take you to hospital to get checked out. The officer here...' he gesture back to Kris, 'He'll let your husband know what happened if you give him the contact details.'

Sarah stares at Kris, for a moment there's a flash of defiance on her face and she struggles against the cuffs. Then her expression collapses and she mumbles, 'He knows how to contact my husband.'

Lucy touches Kris's elbow and steps past him. 'We'll need your car keys Mrs Balfour...' The woman gestures back to the car with her head, 'They're still in there.'

'Thank you Mrs Balfour, we'll be in touch about the car. And the...well let's get you checked out in hospital first and we can talk about everything else later. Do we still need these cuffs Mrs Balfour or have you calmed down now?'

The usually composed and elegant woman kneeling on the ground, blooded and handcuffed, just nods. All the fight seemingly gone out of her.

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:09 pm
by Philulhu
Kris turned to Lucy. ”You’ve got the key, haven’t you?” he asked.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:00 pm
by Mephistophilis
Lucy nods and tosses him the key.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:02 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris's phone rings. It's Jocelyn.

Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:57 pm
by Philulhu
Kris unlocked the cuffs and carefully removed them from Sarah Balfour’s wrist. He watched her closely to see whether she tried anything again but once he was satisfied that she wasn’t going to kick off again, he stepped back to let the paramedics do their thing.

Feeling the vibration of the phone in his pocket, he pulled it out and answered the call. ”Jocelyn. How are you getting on?” he asked.

Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:20 am
by Mr. Handy

"Louise Latham was in the nail salon," says Jocelyn. "She got suspicious and thought I was a copper. After the salon closed, we followed her to a flat on a side road to the right of Blessington Road, but it wasn't hers. She was walking with definite purpose. The entrance she went in was for flats 17-24. She didn't see me, but she might have noticed Simon. After she went inside, what looked to be a black man looked out of the window of what I estimate is flat 21." She gives the exact street name where the flats are located. "This address wasn't for anyone on the list. Can you please look up who lives there, and anything the police know about them? How are things on your end?"

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:14 pm
by Philulhu
Kris glanced at the car crash and the recumbent form of Sarah Balfour. ”Just fab,” he replied dryly. Lucy ran Sarah Balfour off the road then she attacked me…” he said.

He pulled out his notebook and made a quick note of Jocelyn’s request. ”Anything else?” he asked.

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:41 pm
by Mr. Handy

"Good grief," says Jocelyn. "Why was Lucy even driving? She'd clearly been drinking. It seems both Balfours have problems controlling their temper. Are you both okay? And the car? We only need what we asked you for for now, but we'll let you know if we need anything more."

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:09 pm
by Philulhu
”We’re fine. And I’ve been asking myself why I let Lucy drive ever since we piled into Sarah Balfour’s car…” He ran his fingers through his hair.

”Look, I’d better go. I’ll ask control to run your suspect through the PNC and let you know.” Kris ended the call and rang through to control. ”Can you run a PNC check on a black IC3 male at 21 Blessington Road? If there’re any more persons of interest at that address, I need to know that too.”

Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:21 pm
by Mr. Handy

I'm not sure if Blessington Road is where the flat is. It was a smaller road off of Blessington. I would have looked up the name of the actual road and relayed it to you.

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:54 am
by Philulhu
Hopefully our Keeper will take that into account! :D

Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:48 am
by Mr. Handy

I did say Jocelyn gave the exact name of the road. I looked back, and it's Mercator Road.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:16 pm
by Mephistophilis
The control room gets straight back to Kris, the PNC shows a Henry Samuels, aged fifty two. Originally from Jamaica, but seems to have been in contact with the criminal justice system from a young age. He has a long list of previous convictions going back nearly forty years, although nothing in the last decade. Drugs, robbery, assault, and a long prison sentence for joint enterprise murder in 1998, released in 2007. Connections with the 318 Crew gang.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:05 pm
by Philulhu
Pulling out his notebook, Kris thanked the operator for the information, and said, ”318 Crew? Who’re they? And did Samuels have any known associates?”

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:02 pm
by Mephistophilis
The operator explains that the 318 Crew were a gang from Peckham in south London. Thought to now be defunct after a long running feud with the Lewisham Ghetto Boys left a number of both gangs dead or in prison. There's a long list of known or suspected members of the 318 Crew - most of whom would be getting on a bit now if they're still involved in gang crime. But one name that stands out to Kris is an Anton Hayman, who died in 2002.

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:32 pm
by Mephistophilis
Is Kris doing anything?

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:50 pm
by Philulhu
Oops, sorry! :(

Anton Hayman? said Kris, trying to remember why the name rang a bell. Then it clicked. ”Any relationship to Louise Hayman?” he asked. “Also, what did he die of?”

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:57 pm
by Mephistophilis
'Lead poisoning. Shot dead in some gang feud. And he had a sister called Louise, fair few years younger...Date of birth checks out for your Louise Hayman.'

The name Anton Hayman was also given to you by Philip Dagenham, aka James Williams, small time drug dealer and one time associate of Johnny Zero. He said:
'He didn't say who was after him. But there were plenty of them from back in the day. Bastards. Anton, Waggers, they scared me, scared me more than Johnny.'

'Anton was one of the 318 Crew, real gangster type, crazy fucker. I think his full name was Anton Hayman, I don't know any address or nuffink...'

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:11 am
by Philulhu
”Ok, thanks,” said Kris, quickly making notes.

”What have we got on the sister? Anything at all?”

Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:39 pm
by Mephistophilis
You don't really have any intel on Louise Hayman. Early forties, nine year old daughter called Chantelle Hayman. Lives in Lewisham, runs a nail bar there called Get Nailed! (including the exclamation mark). She has no convictions or any other information recorded on the PNC. Doesn't own a car so no vehicle records.

Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:11 am
by Philulhu
Kris thought for a moment. ”Joint enterprise? Who got killed and who was Samuals working with?” he asked, his pen hovering over his notepad.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:35 pm
by Mephistophilis
The murder was in 1994, a twenty eight year old man by the name of Kwame Boadu, associated with the Belmont Mandem gang, an offshoot of the Lewisham Ghetto Boys. The information on the PNC is pretty scanty but it seems that Samuels was considered to be high up in the 318 Crew gang. When Boadu was murdered the police and CPS managed to get Samuels convicted of joint enterprise murder by arguing that while he didn't carry out the murder directly he was involved in ordering or arranging it. His co-accused were Mark Hall, Carl Bennett, Peter Wright, and Taiwo Daramola, aged from nineteen to twenty four.

The control room dispatcher used to work for the Met Police at the time and remembers some controversy over how lenient his sentence was. According to the PNC he is still on license and there are contact details for a probation officer.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:50 pm
by Philulhu
”Ok, so where are his co-accused now? What’ve they been up to?” asked Kris. ”And why was Boadu murdered? Turf war over drugs or something else?”

He tapped his pen on his notebook as he waited for a reply, still trying to work out how everything fitted together.

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:51 pm
by Mephistophilis
They're all still in prison, except Peter Wright who died in prison, murder, suspected gang-related but they never found the culprit. Seems they were all much more firmly connected with the murder itself so they all went down for much longer sentences. As to motive, documentation on the PNC is scanty but it looks like the Belmont Mandem and the wider Lewisham Ghetto Boys had encroached on the 318 Crew turf, drug dealing mainly, and the 318 Crew could see the writing on wall so they were trying a last ditch attempt to send a message to the Lewisham boys to keep off their streets. It seems it didn't work and with so many of their most influential gang members in prison the 318 Crew basically imploded.

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:21 am
by Mephistophilis
Kris receives another call from Jocelyn.

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:55 am
by Mr. Handy

"Two young men showed up, no doubt called by the chap in the flat," Jocelyn told Kris. "One tall and thin, the other heavier, both either black or mixed race, smoking cannabis. They stuck around for a while before they split up and moved on, not sure where they're going. The skinny one went southeast up the Marischal Road, and the other one went the way we came, northwest. What's going on on your end? Find anything out about the man in the flat? Can you and Lucy get here anytime soon?"

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:01 pm
by Philulhu
What’s the situation with the accident? Have the Highway Agency traffic officers turned up? Is Lucy’s car roadworthy?

”The guy in the flat is most likely Henry Samuals, former gang member of the 318 Crew. He’s got previous for drugs, robbery and assault, and did time for the joint enterprise murder of a rival gang member. He was released in 2007. One of his crew was Anton Harmon - now dead - who was the brother of Louise Harmon. She’s a member of Balfour’s church and her daughter is on the list - Chantelle Harmon, aged nine,” said Kris.

“His gang is apparently dormant and I didn’t get any known acquaintances from the PNC, but I’ve got contact details for his probation officer so I could give them a ring, if that help?” he suggested.

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:12 pm
by Mephistophilis
The whole scene is under control now. More uniformed police have turned up and cordoned off the area. The Highways Agency have come to clean up some of the damage Sarah Balfour did crashing through the barriers. The ambulance crew are just waiting for Lucy to let them go, although the uniformed officers are starting to swap troubled glances at her, they probably know she's suspended. Lucy's car seems fine.

Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:50 pm
by Philulhu
Kris clicked his fingers to get Lucy’s attention and pointed to her car. Holding his phone away from his mouth so he could talk, he approached the nearest uniform and said, ”We’re on a live case and we’ve had a shout. Wrap up here and I’ll complete my report when I’m done, ok?” He didn’t wait for answer. He just turned and jogged in the direction of Lucy’s car.

Jocelyn, we’re on our way!” he said into the phone.

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:57 am
by Mr. Handy

"Thank you," says Jocelyn. "It's not an emergency, but we would like to get back to Balfour before he gets wind of what's happened. Sounds like a fine bunch of young men. I suspect they're planning on using Chantelle Harmon as their substitute sacrifice, so we definitely need eyes on her mother and her delinquent mates...eyes they haven't seen yet. We'll wait here until you come and relieve us. How did things go with Sarah Balfour?"

Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:10 am
by Philulhu
”Badly!” replied Kris dryly, glancing at Lucy. ”But she’s going to the hospital to get checked out so should be tied up for a couple of hours at least.”

Moving the phone away from his mouth, he said, “Let’s go, Lucy. And take it easy this time, unless you want me to drive?”

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:54 am
by Mr. Handy

"Make sure you're the one who drives, Kris," says Jocelyn. He may have wrecked his share of cars, but at least he's sober.

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:34 pm
by Philulhu
”Good idea,” said Kris cursing himself for not thinking straight. He held out his spare hand for the keys. ”It’s for the best, Lucy.”

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:49 am
by Mr. Handy

"If there's nothing else, I'll let you go now," says Jocelyn. "Not a good idea to talk on the phone while driving."

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:38 pm
by Philulhu
”Ok, we’ll be with you as soon as we can,” replied Kris, ending the call.

Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:37 pm
by Mephistophilis

Sucking in her cheeks and scowling at him, Lucy puts her hands on her hips and says, 'Who's doing who...um, whom a favour?'

You driving straight to London, not doing anything else beforehand? How're you going to get Lucy to let Kris drive?

Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:39 pm
by Philulhu
Let’s see if Kris can get a read on Lucy

Psychology (35%) 1d100

Edit: I’ll spend two points of Luck to make that a success. As I see it, Kris has two options here; appeal to Lucy’s better nature, explaining that she’ll be shook up after the accident, or be blunt and call her out for being drunk. Hopefully the successful Psychology roll would indicate the most favourable approach (and possibly even get a bonus die 😉)

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:59 pm
by Mephistophilis
Kris looks at Lucy, really looks at her. The drawn face, the darting eyes. She's shaken up. The alcohol is probably the only thing keeping her from cracking altogether. But underneath it Lucy's a professional. A hard arse. She knows she shouldn't drive when she's been drinking. Hell, she knows she shouldn't be chasing Sarah Balfour through the streets when she's suspended. There's no point messing about with appeals to her better nature, Kris just needs to cut through all this bullshit pretence she's using to hide how fucked up she is and tell her how it is.

Holding out his hand again, Kris says bluntly, 'You're pissed Lucy. I'm driving.' She pinches her lips together for a moment then her face collapses. She hands over the key and resignedly gets into the passenger side of the car.

Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:41 pm
by Philulhu
‘That’s one less thing to worry about,’ Kris thought to himself as he started the car and eased out into traffic. He kept the speed low until he was satisfied that the handling hadn’t been affected by the accident, then he brought the car up to the speed limit and headed for Lewisham to meet up with Jocelyn and Simon.

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:36 pm
by Mephistophilis
With the rush hour traffic it takes Kris and Lucy nearly two hours to reach Lewisham. And when they do get there it takes even longer to find the location Jocelyn has given them, driving around and around until they eventually identify the unnamed service road that leads down the back of a row of flats.

Moving here.