IC - 28 - The Big Smoke - Simon and Jocelyn

6.30pm Thursday 11th March 2010, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.

A five-year old girl, Regina Balfour, is kidnapped in broad daylight from the Eden Shopping Centre, while her mother’s back is momentarily turned. Left behind is her ladybird shaped backpack, which contained supplies for her insulin pump. She needs her medication to live more than a few days, and her condition will rapidly deteriorate without it...

Moderator: Mephistophilis

Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 17 years 9 months

Re: IC - 28 - The Big Smoke - Simon and Jocelyn

Post by Philulhu »

Kris was trying to work out what was happening at the other end of the phone. ”Has she gone, Simon?” he asked.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I guess she wasn't working with Balfour after all," says Jocelyn. "If she hadn't been acting so suspiciously and paranoid, we wouldn't have been so sure she was."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by Silver Priest »

"Yes, it was her own fault. She reacted poorly with you which led us to think she was an accessory," Simon says after she leaves. "Mind she's not entirely innocent either; Johnny called her and asked her for assistance getting in touch with the old crew he was associated with. We can only assume Balfour wanted some muscle for some reason. She also threatened a sensitive area of my body with one of her tools before I was able to talk her down. After this matter with Balfour is resolved I do think a police complaint should be filed against her for obstructing justice. A woman as volatile as that should not be raising a child," he sniffs vindictively.

"Regardless, it gives me no joy to say I was correct all along and this was largely a waste of our time. At this point i think its much too late to attempt further investigation. We have to assume Balfour found another suitable sacrifice. I can't imagine he'd conduct his sermon without one prepped. Our best option as I see it is to try and get a few hours of sleep before being on site for observation and to alert the police to anything he might be planning."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We still need to keep Balfour under constant surveillance, and start it as soon as possible," says Jocelyn. "It's possible that the child has been arranged to be delivered to him in time for the ceremony, but hasn't yet been. In that case, we need to be there when it happens. Or maybe he'll slip up somewhere and we can shut him down early. I'm well rested enough that I can stay awake while you two catch some shuteye in the car. Hopefully his own paranoia makes him think he's still been under surveillance the whole time. He's probably still seeing us even when we aren't there."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Can’t I get some shuteye at home?” grumbled Kris. ”I need a shower and a change of clothes!”
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I think we could all use a shower and a change of clothes," says Jocelyn. "We can stop off, at least, but it would be better if you napped in the car while we're on stakeout. What if something happens, and we need backup or your police powers?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Ok,” Kris nodded. He just wanted to curl up in bed and fall asleep, but that was going to have to wait. He glanced at his watch. Bina would be at work, so that would save any questions.

”we’ll come and pick you up, Simon,” he said.
Last edited by Philulhu on Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

I'm pretty sure Jocelyn left with the car but if not, Simon would do so.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris wants a piggyback… 🤣

I think you’re right, though!
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Mephistophilis »

12.45pm Tuesday 16th March 2010, Lewisham, London

5hrs until the church service.

Kris and Jocelyn leave the social worker outside Bromley County Court looking baffled and grumbling about what she's going to tell the judge. Kris suspects this isn't the last he's going to hear about this but puts thoughts of future difficult conversations with DI Malone on hold for now.

Riding in the big Range Rover they zig-zag in-and-out of the lunchtime traffic, eventually arriving in Lewisham to pick up Simon. Kris looks down at his phone to see a message from Prisha - Where's my car?
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

”Shit! Prisha wants her car back!” said Kris, glumly. ”Reckon we can get a hire car so I drop this off?” he asked, looking at Jocelyn and Simon.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If we can, let's do it," says Jocelyn. "Preferably something nondescript, fast, and with good handling. It's a good idea to switch cars to one Balfour hasn't seen before. Of course, that depends on whoever's providing it not knowing our track record with cars."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris checked his phone. ”There’s an Enterprise car hire place on Lee High Street,” he said. ”Let’s go and see what they’ve got. Does your operating budget stretch to a hire car?”
Silver Priest
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Silver Priest »

"Enterprise's rates are very reasonable. With great rates and fast, friendly service, I'm sure they'll be able to assist us-- as they do thousands of people daily." Simon is workshopping the plug he'll offer the company when he writes his book; can't hurt to get a sponsor or two!
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Sounds good to me," says Jocelyn. "We'll rent the car in my name. My driving record's solid, in case they check, and I do need a replacement car after my own got damaged by the hailstorm - through no fault of my own."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris frowned. Was Jocelyn dissing his driving?!
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

It's only a couple of minutes away to find the Enterprise Car Hire - there's actually quite a few car hire places down Lee High Road. Once they've found somewhere to park the Range Rover they go inside and Jocelyn is offered her choice of small and mid-size hire cars.

I'll let you choose your car! So you now have the Range Rover and the hire car. Who is driving what? Where are you all going. Probably about 5hrs until the church service and 2hrs back to High Wycombe. Clock's ticking.
Philulhu
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Philulhu »

Kris will drive the Range Rover. He doesn’t have the best record but it is his sister-in-law’s car, after all.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Jocelyn hires a dark blue, mid-sized Ford, which she'll be driving. It's ubiquitous enough to go unnoticed, and it's reliable.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
Mephistophilis
Keeper
Keeper

Post by Mephistophilis »

Now with two cars, the Range Rover driven by Kris, and a dark blue Ford Mondeo driven by Jocelyn, they begin to make their way out of London in the early afternoon traffic. The day had been bright but it is beginning to get a bit overcast.

Turning on the radio reveals a story about the Rev Balfour going to court to try and get his daughter released by social services. There's an interview with Balfour by none other than GNS's Julie Thomas. She's very sympathetic and Balfour does a good job as the distraught father whose daughter has just been rescued from a kidnapper and just wants her home. No mention of Sarah Balfour's recent...difficulties. No one from social services or the police is available to comment. There's also some coverage of the church service tonight, it seems like some crowds of gawpers are starting to gather. They interview a couple of them who seem to mostly just be there to see what is going to happen rather than because they're believers in the Church of the Passover Angel.

Who is Simon going with?

Where are you heading towards?

Oh, and after failing that CON roll Kris will need a Drive roll...

Return to “Ladybird, Ladybird, Fly Away Home”