Cassandra

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of the Collinswood estate, and confront the endless mysteries that surround the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Cassandra

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Things seem to settle down for a while at Collinwood. Mrs. Stoddard is pleased to have Carolyn back, and doesn't ask many questions about her disappearance. Carolyn, having little memory of what happened, goes along with what Victoria and Maggie tell her. There has been a noticeable improvement in David's disposition, although he still wanders off on his own frequently.

Neither Barnabas, nor Willie, nor Doctor Hoffman have been seen very often lately, which may partly explain David's lightened mood; whenever somebody mentions Barnabas, he grows noticeably upset.

The only disturbing events in recent days are reports of minor acts of vandalism, seemingly at random, in which doors and windows have been broken, without any sign that anyone tried to enter. This seems to be related to other reports of a Peeping Tom of sorts, a large man who peers into houses late at night, and who quickly runs off when discovered.

Roger takes an extended trip, ostensibly for business purposes, and returns a few weeks later with an announcement that surprises, or even shocks, those who hear it.

"I finally managed to have Laura declared legally dead. Whoever that imposter was who tried to take David away, it certainly wasn't his mother. The evidence from Arizona is incontestable.

"I would like you to meet my new wife."

Obviously enjoying making such a dramatic gesture, he opens the front door and lets in a dark-haired woman who introduces herself as Cassandra, upon whom Roger looks fondly.

After some friendly, if somewhat awkward, conversation between the unexpected guest and the Collins family, Roger remarks that he would like her to meet Barnabas.

"Oh, yes," Cassandra replies, with a silvery laugh. "I would very much like to meet Barnabas Collins. Very much indeed."

You have the strangest feeling that you know this woman from somewhere, although you can't imagine where. You also worry about David, now upstairs asleep, will think when he meets his new stepmother.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Re: Cassandra

The modest home and studio you share with your father is one of the places that has had a window broken late at night, although nothing was stolen and there is no other damage. Getting up out of bed to check it out, you saw a very large man running away.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

Maggie relates to Vix about her windows being one of the ones broken, though nothing else happened - she saw a big guy running off, and wonders if it's the same one who was at the lighthouse. She also tries to arrange a fun girl's night with Vix, given all the crap that's happened lately.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Collins," says Victoria, who thinks this is all rather sudden. "You look familiar. I have the strangest feeling we've met before, but I can't recall where. Have you ever spent time in New York?"

When Maggie calls, Victoria is glad to arrange for them to get together.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:37 pm

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Collins," says Victoria, who thinks this is all rather sudden. "You look familiar. I have the strangest feeling we've met before, but I can't recall where. Have you ever spent time in New York?"

"Oh, I've been just about everywhere," Cassandra says with a smile. "I'm sure I would have remembered such a charming young person."

The next day, David meets the new arrival. To her credit, Cassandra doesn't try to take the place of his mother, simply hoping that they'll be good friends. It's not surprising that the encounter is an awkward one, but, after a while, David comes to accept her as a member of the household.

"I understand that you've spent quite a lot of time at the Old House," she says. "You must show it to me some time."

"Oh, I don't hang around there any more, now that Barnabas lives there," David admits.

Cassandra kneels, so she can look directly into David's eyes. "Would you do me a very great favor and take me to meet Barnabas?"

After a long pause, David says "OK, I guess. If you want me to."

"Thank you, David." She kisses him very gently on the forehead, which causes him to blush and remain silent.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

On the agreed night, the two women meet at the Blue Whale. (There are very few other places to relax, listen to some music -- even if it's only a jukebox -- talk, and have a decent meal.) The conversation around them drifts from one topic to another. The local constable is there, asking everyone if they've seen Doctor Eric Lang around lately. If anybody wants to know why he asking, he just says it's routine. Many ask him about the vandalism and the Peeping Tom incidents, but those seem to have quieted during recently.

At one point, a local attorney by the name of Tony Peterson walks in.

Like just about everybody else in town, he knows Maggie Evans casually, so he stops by to greet her, and is introduced to Victoria Winters. During a brief chat, he says that he'll soon be at Collinwood, to make some changes in Mrs. Stoddard's will. Naturally, they mention Roger's new wife.

"Yes, I've met her," he says. "I suppose that has something to do with Mrs. Stoddard's request. A remarkable woman. The most extraordinary eyes, the color of the ocean." He grins at himself. "I'm not much of a poet, I'm afraid."

The constable talks to him for a while, because he is also Doctor Lang's attorney. He says that he hasn't seen Lang for some time.

You get that same strange feeling that you've met him before, but you have no idea where. Maybe you've just caught a glimpse of him in town, because his family has been in Collinsport for generations.

You're a little uneasy with Peterson, although you try not to show it, because you've seen him and Burke Devlin together at the Collinsport Inn diner. Could they be planning to do something concerning Devlin's conviction for manslaughter? And will it have anything to do with your father's testimony at the trial, five years ago? Or are they strictly plotting against Roger Collins?
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Maggie thinks about telling the constable about the big guy she saw running away, but if it was the guy from the lighthouse, she might be putting him in danger more than doing any good.

When Peterson's gone, she says to Vix, "I've seen him confabbing with Burke at the diner. I don't know what's up with it though. I don't know if he's Burke's lawyer too, but Burke's always interested in messing with the Collinses. It might be nothing."

Maggie had pretty much forgotten until this, but she was supposed to be spying on Barnabas for Burke. At some point she'll meet up with him and give her verdict, "I don't think he's in business really - he might have been before getting here, but now he's just coasting on the money he's made. So there isn't anything to take over... and I think he's... kinda dangerous." (Maggie likes Burke, and given everything Vix has told her about Barnabas, as well as her own memory being erased, and that she's still afraid of Barnabas, she's trying to give Burke reasons not to bother with this)

At home with Sam, she will ask if he knows a lawyer called Tony Peterson.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I feel like I've seen him before," says Victoria, "but I have no idea where. I got the same feeling about Cassandra."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:20 am"I feel like I've seen him before," says Victoria, "but I have no idea where. I got the same feeling about Cassandra."

"In a past life, maybe?" suggests Maggie. Unsure why that thought popped into her head, she adds, "Maybe the Collinses have talked about him. But that wouldn't explain Cassandra."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

A few days go by without incident. With David's help, Cassandra manages to make her way into the Old House early one evening, when Barnabas makes one of his rare appearances. The encounter is reported to Victoria the next day, during their lessons.

"Barnabas still gives me the creeps, but it was OK, I guess. They just started talking about boring adult stuff. Then Barnabas asked me to go home. I don't know when Dad's girlfriend came back here."
Spoiler:
2d20
Nothing seems out of the ordinary lately, which is a refreshing change of pace.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sam Evans knows Tony Petersen well enough.

"He worked out all the details when Roger Collins bought a bunch of my paintings about five years ago. You know, taxes and payment schedules and all that stuff. Nothing for you to concern yourself with, honey." He seems reluctant to discuss it with his daughter any further.

Out one night with Burke Devlin, Maggie relates what she knows about Barnabas.

"Idle rich, huh? That figures. Nice work if you can get it. Still, I'd like to know where he spends his days. Business in Bangor or Boston, my eye. I've got my connections in both places, and nobody who ought to know ever heard of him."
Spoiler:
2d20
One pleasant evening, while taking the big hike up to the mansion to meet with Victoria for a chat, Maggie happens to pass close enough to the Old House to hear an argument between Barnabas and a woman, whose voice she doesn't recognize. She then spotted the woman, who matches the description of Cassandra, storm out of the house.

"You must be insane!" Surprisingly, not long after Cassandra spoke these angry words, slammed the door, and started making her way to the mansion, her mood seemed to change suddenly, and she began to laugh sweetly. She does not seem to be aware that Maggie is nearby.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Maggie tries to follow Cassandra to see what else she does - if she's spotted, she'll say she's heading up to the house to see Vix. Whether this means seeing Vix tonight, or calling her tomorrow, Maggie will tell her what happened.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Barnabas is a vampire," Victoria tells David. "Most of the time he can stay under control, thanks to a serum that Dr. Hoffman has been giving him, but it's becoming less effective. When he loses control, that's when he's dangerous. That's what happened to Carolyn. He turned her into a vampire too, but we were able to restore her with sunlight because she had only recently changed. Barnabas is something like two hundred years old, so he's well beyond that point. There may be a way to make him human again too, though. If the woman he loves can love him back, the curse will be broken."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
d20
You completely lose sight of Cassandra as she heads back to the mansion.

David is full of wide-eyed excitement. "I knew there was something creepy about him! Now we've got to tell everybody about him, so they'll finally know I'm not making up stories. C'mon, you've got to tell my dad I'm not a liar."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Rats, Maggie thinks to herself. She heads home, after a bit of dithering about how close to pass by Barnabas's place, and calls Vix tomorrow to relate what she saw.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"If I do that, he'll just think I'm lying too - or crazy," says Victoria. "We would need to get proof first. I think our best bet is to try to cure Barnabas. Maggie knew he was a vampire too, but Dr. Hoffman hypnotized her to make her forget. Still, I think she can help too, and we should talk to her. You may have noticed how much she looks like the portrait of Josette, who was Barnabas's lost love. She reminds him of Josette, and I'm sure he's in love with her. If she were to love him back, he'd become human again. It's not easy, though. You can't make someone fall in love. It has to happen naturally."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Just before you reach home, you see Tony Peterson standing in the open doorway.

"I warn you, Mister Evans, that perjury is a serious offense. I advise you, for you own good, to heed what I say."

He then leaves. His car pulls away. He seems to be heading for Collinwood.

We'll see if David is persuaded. CHA roll, with bonuses for you: d20A bit too high, I think, even if I allow for Charming and Good With Children. (David a little too young for Beautiful to have much effect, I'd think.)

"Ah, girls just wanna talk about mushy stuff. I'm gonna tell Dad we need to kill Barnabas!" It's impossible for David to be dissauded. Roger, naturally, reacts by forbidding him to read any more comic books or watch TV for a week.

"That nonsense is rotting the boy's mind," he tells you.

David pleads with you to tell his father what you told him.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"First we have to get proof," insists Victoria. "If I tell him without proof, he'll think I'm crazy. He'll also think you got your ideas from me - which you did. He'll fire me, and he'll probably send me up to the sanitarium where Dr. Hoffman will hypnotize me and make me forget everything I've seen. We need to work with Maggie and Professor Stokes, who have been helping me. Working together we can find the proof."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Dad?" Maggie says, going into the house after Pearson has gone. "What was Tony Pearson doing here?" If Sam demures over answering, she'll add that she heard the parting words, and repeat the question. "IS it about Burke Devlin?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

David reluctantly agrees to say nothing more about the matter to his family, mostly at the prospect of being allowed to play detective. He does slip up once, asking Carolyn what it's like to be dead, to which she only replies "Shut up, you little jerk."

A greatly recovered, and seemingly amnesic, Joe Haskell turns up now and then to pay court to Carolyn, to which she responds in her old half-reluctant, half-eager way, exasperating Joe as it always did. Joe also accuses her of sneaking out to see Burke Devlin "It's like some kind of soap opera," he grumbles. To this Carolyn replies "You'd be surprised what's going on around here." Joe answers "Maybe I'm starting to understand why your father disappeared eighteen years ago." To this Carolyn responds merely by running upstairs to her room. "Me and my big mouth," Joe says to himself as he takes his leave.

When alone with Victoria, David asks when they're going to put their plans into operation.

Sam Evans goes back to the bottle after the visit from Peterson. "I thought I was done with all that business years ago, little girl. Now it's come back to haunt your old man. Hell, I couldn't go up against Roger Collins; his sister practically owns this town. Devlin was nobody then; now he's some kind of big shot, despite all those years in stir. I sure hope Peterson is just trying to scare me."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Maggie rubs her mouth. "So that accident was Roger Collins's fault, and he made you say it was Burke?"

(Maggie wonders if she can get Burke to leave her father alone, although she knows he's going to make her do something for that)

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1967 timeline)”