Barnabas

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of the Collinswood estate, and confront the endless mysteries that surround the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Re: Barnabas

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I suppose it's the eternal nature of the vampire," says Victoria. "I imagine a vampire could live - or rather, exist - for multiple lifetimes and witness so much of history, but it would be such a lonely existence. Everyone the vampire knows would die, and the vampire would continue without them. A vampire might find love, but if the vampire's love is mortal, it would end in heartbreak. I wonder if there are any references to a means by which a vampire could become mortal again."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

SunlessNick wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:01 pm

"Wait, please!" Maggie pleads. "Julia's been trying to come up with a treatment, but it's failing. And it's not just my friend. Barnabas Collins has the same problem. You know I'd know better than to make rich folks like the Collinses part of a joke like this. We need your help."

(Maggie makes a very very slight pause after the word rich).
"I'm sorry, but I'm much too busy with my own work. And since you're acquainted with Barnabas, you might mention that his man Loomis hasn't been bringing me the supplies I need in a timely manner. As for your little hint, money is of little importance to me. There are more important matters that concern me."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:31 am

"I suppose it's the eternal nature of the vampire," says Victoria. "I imagine a vampire could live - or rather, exist - for multiple lifetimes and witness so much of history, but it would be such a lonely existence. Everyone the vampire knows would die, and the vampire would continue without them. A vampire might find love, but if the vampire's love is mortal, it would end in heartbreak. I wonder if there are any references to a means by which a vampire could become mortal again."
With a chuckle, Stokes replies "I suppose a stake and hammer would render such a being as mortal as one might wish! But of course you mean something else entirely.

"According to some authorities, a person who has been very recently -- altered, shall we say? -- may be brought back to a normal state of existence through the application of bright sunlight for an extended period of time, such as would entirely destroy the more experienced, so to speak, vampire. Of course, even the neophyte will be repelled by the rays of the sun, experience excruciating agony, and oppose anyone who would attempt to apply such treatment with remarkable force.

"You mention love. It may be mere romantic fancy, but there are certain accounts of the living dead, if I may call them that, being recalled to a normal existence by winning true love from the objects of their desire, despite their repellent condition.

"If only one could undo the past!"

He assumes a dramatic pose.

"'Ah Love! could thou and I with Fate conspire
To grasp the sorry Scheme of Things entire,
Would not we shatter it to bits -- and then
Remould it nearer to the Heart's Desire!'

"That would solve so many problems of this kind, would it not?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

"Fine, I'll tell him," Maggie says. In an unusually snappish manner she asks, "If one of them dies can I come back again to ask your help for the other? At least you'll know I mean it then."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen," quotes Victoria, "The saddest are these: 'it might have been.' Who hasn't wanted to go back in time and change things for the better? But of course, that's impossible. We have to make the best future from where we are now. It's good to know that there's hope. A newly made vampire, though inexperienced, would still be powerful. How might one be bound and forced to endure the light of day? I suppose a vampire would be vulnerable in daytime as it sleeps. In a coffin, most likely. The coffin could perhaps be bound with silver chains and carried outside into the sunlight, and then a hole made in the lid to expose the undead within."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:05 pm
"Fine, I'll tell him," Maggie says. In an unusually snappish manner she asks, "If one of them dies can I come back again to ask your help for the other? At least you'll know I mean it then."

This approach seems to draw a thin smile from the physician.

"How refreshing to have someone give me a taste of my own medicine, so to speak. I admire a woman with a little fire inside her. Very well, I've been meaning to talk to Hoffman about my project anyway. Why don't we pay a call on Barnabas Collins some time? I think he's been leading Hoffman around on a string for a while, and we can straighten out this Loomis business at the same time."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:43 am
"For of all sad words of tongue or pen," quotes Victoria, "The saddest are these: 'it might have been.' Who hasn't wanted to go back in time and change things for the better? But of course, that's impossible.

"Is it? I wonder. There are certain suggestions in the I Ching . . . But I digress. Do go on."

We have to make the best future from where we are now. It's good to know that there's hope. A newly made vampire, though inexperienced, would still be powerful. How might one be bound and forced to endure the light of day? I suppose a vampire would be vulnerable in daytime as it sleeps. In a coffin, most likely. The coffin could perhaps be bound with silver chains and carried outside into the sunlight, and then a hole made in the lid to expose the undead within."
Stokes paces around the room for a while, hand on chin, as if lost in thought.

"I must say you express more than simple curiosity about the subject. May I inquire if you actually believe in vampires?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:54 am"Why don't we pay a call on Barnabas Collins some time? I think he's been leading Hoffman around on a string for a while, and we can straighten out this Loomis business at the same time."
"Yeah, she's living at his place. We can cover every errand at once. I'm ready any time."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I do," says Victoria.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Doctor Lang pays a call on the Old House one afternoon, with Maggie along, in case she is needed to provide an introduction. This proves to be unnecessary. Willie answers the door, stepping back a bit when he sees Lang.

"Barnabas ain't here," he begins, getting ready to shut the door.

"Never mind that," Lang responds, pushing his way inside. "I want to talk to you anyway. You haven't made a delivery for quite a while. I'm paying you quite well for what I need, and I'm growing impatient."

"Barnabas has been runnin' me ragged, gettin' stuff ready for him, and lookin' for some-- somethin'. I'll get you what you need real soon."

"Tonight, Loomis. Tonight. And where's Hoffman? Ah, speak of the devil."

As his words indicates, Doctor Hoffman has just entered the room from upstairs.

The two physicians eye each other for a while. Obviously there share some history. Finally, Doctor Hoffman says "It's been a long time."

"Yes. Too bad we had to go our separate ways."

"You know why."

"Water under the bridge. I believe fate has brought us together again. Shall we discuss it in private?"

The two go off to another room, leaving Maggie and a visibly nervous Willie. After quite some time, they return.

"Then it's all set. Tonight, at my clinic. I'll have the serum you need, and you'll aid me on my project."

Lang takes his leave.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:36 am
"I do," says Victoria.
After taking a thoughtful sip of sherry, Professor Stokes replies "I believe you do. Judging by your demeanor, this does not seem to be one of the pranks of which undergraduates are so fond. Either that, or you are an extraordinarily gifted actress. If you have encountered one of the living dead, you are in very great danger.

"The vampire's greatest ally is secrecy. Such a being would stop at nothing to prevent exposure.

"Allow me to be of service. What can I do to help you escape this menace?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"There are two vampires I know," says Victoria. "One is a friend of mine. She was recently turned into a vampire by the other, who is much older, like two hundred years old. Dr. Hoffman has been keeping him under control with a serum, but he's building up a tolerance to it. The serum may be effective for my friend, though, and then we might convince her to brave the light of day to become human again. I do have a crucifix, which actually causes them pain and doesn't just frighten them. I don't want to kill them. I want to make them human again, which is why I sought you out. The older vampire does have a lost love from the time when he was mortal, and I have another friend who's the spitting image of her. Maybe if she could come to love him, he too could be restored. Maybe you can help us, with your knowledge."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Hearing this, Professor Stokes spends several minutes polishing his monocle in a thoughtful manner.

"This is very dangerous business. If Julia Hoffman is involved . . . well, a brilliant mind, but perhaps a bit erratic, and drawn to matters better left unexplored. I was not aware that she had left her practice at Windcliff Sanitarium. She would only do that for something that caught her cat-like curiosity.

"Might I inquire as to the identity of those you believe to be afflicted?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Left alone with Willie, Maggie puts a hand on his arm. "How are you holding up? This has been so crazy, and... well, you're the one stuck most in the middle of it."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Seeing no reason not to trust him and that she needs his help, Victoria continues. "The older vampire is Barnabas Collins, and the younger one is Carolyn Stoddard," she says.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:00 am Left alone with Willie, Maggie puts a hand on his arm. "How are you holding up? This has been so crazy, and... well, you're the one stuck most in the middle of it."
Rather startled by Maggie's touch, Willie confesses "I didn't want no part of this. I shouldn't of gone messin' around, lookin' for them jewels . . . Ah, you don't know nothin' about that. But now I gotta do what Barnabas says, or else . . .

He suddenly grabs Maggie's wrists.

"You don't know where Miss Stoddard is, do you? Barnabas wants me to do somethin' awful, and if I don't find her pretty quick, I don't know what he'll do!"

By this time, the sun has just set. From the downstairs room Barnabas emerges, looking more normal than he has for a while.

"J-- Miss Evans, how delightful to see you again. I trust that Willie hasn't been boring you with his fanciful tales. Willie, don't you have something to take care of?"

"Uh, yes sir, right away. I'm workin' on it. But that Doc Lang has got stuff for me to do, too."

"Very well. Just make sure you do not neglect your other duties."

Willie rushes out the front door, seemingly relieved at having escaped a more severe encounter. When he is gone, Barnabas extends his hand to Maggie.

"I'm sure you're curious about the rather unusual events that have been going on around here lately. Won't you join me downstairs? All will become clear."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:29 am
Seeing no reason not to trust him and that she needs his help, Victoria continues. "The older vampire is Barnabas Collins, and the younger one is Carolyn Stoddard," she says.
"I might have suspected. The Collins family does seem to attract unexplained events. As I recall, there was that peculiar business in the late Nineteenth Century . . .

"But I digress. Barnabas Collins appears to have provided a place of security for himself at the Old House. Particularly if Doctor Hoffman is keeping his . . . condition more or less under control, one surely could not openly confront him with what you have learned. The influence of the Collins, combined with the skepticism of ordinary people; why, we would be fortunate not to be admitted to Windcliff Sanitarium as mental patients if we were to alert the authorities. No, a more subtle approach is necessary.

"As for Miss Stoddard. Due to her lack of experience with her new . . . situation, it may be possible to approach her more openly. By any chance do you know where she rests during the day?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"She was being kept in the basement of the Old House," says Victoria, "but she got loose last night and fled into the woods. I'm not sure where she's spending the day. We'd have to track her down."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Easier said than done, my dear. Much easier said than done. Such . . . persons are fiendishly clever, particularly when newly afflicted. Let me see, where did I put that map I had one of my students sketch for me some time ago."

Professor Stokes rummages through the drawers of his desk, finally coming up with a large sheet of paper.

"Ah, here we are. Hardly professional cartography, but possibly helpful. Now where do you suppose Miss Stoddard might be hiding?"

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Maybe the cemetery," suggests Victoria. "It's nearby, and it's the sort of place a vampire might feel at home. There's also a crypt there. Barnabas sent his man Willie there to do some task once he was under control again, but he didn't say what."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1967 timeline)”