Barnabas

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of the Collinswood estate, and confront the endless mysteries that surround the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Re: Barnabas

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

"Logical, most logical. I suggest that we make preparations to examine the Collins crypt in a discrete manner. During the daylight hours, of course."

As this seems a reasonable plan of action, Professor Stokes accompanies Victoria to Eagle Hill Cemetery, not far from Collinwood. Upon arrival, they discover the cemetery's caretaker, an elderly man who vaguely murmurs about "evil" and "the restless dead," although he seems rather confused, and is unable to supply specifics. Inside the Collins crypt, they find three sarcophagi side by side, beneath plaques indicating that they contain the remains of Joshua Collins (1730 - 1805), Naomi Collins (1736 - 1796) and Sarah Collins (1786 - 1796). The place is without decoration, save for three carvings of lions' heads, directly above the plaques, each with a large ring in its mouth; perhaps intended to be a place where one could hang a lantern.

Stokes becomes distracted from the task at hand by the sight, and pontificates about the Collins family history.

"Poor little Sarah arrived remarkably late in the lives of her parents, particularly for the Eighteenth Century. She was much younger than her brother, the first Barnabas Collins. I believe it was her death at such a young age, quickly following Barnabas's self-imposed exile to England, that drove Naomi to her grave.

"Forgive the wandering mind of an old man, my dear. Do you see anything here indicating that Miss Stoddard is in residence? I suppose we could attempt to have these sarcophagi opened, but that would surely draw an unwelcome amount of attention."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:01 am"I'm sure you're curious about the rather unusual events that have been going on around here lately. Won't you join me downstairs? All will become clear."
"You're... you're a vampire, aren't you... you're the same Barnabas I knew when I was Josette... is that right?" Regardless of how he answers, Maggie goes with him into the basement,
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I've met Sarah Collins a couple of times, in ghost form," says Victoria. "She was there last night, and she referred to Barnabas as her brother. That's how I know he's the same one who was around in the eighteenth century. The strange thing is, she seemed to already know me the first time I met her. Let's look around for anywhere the dust has been recently disturbed. That'll give her presence away." She examines the dust in the crypt, especially around the sarcophagi, careful not to disturb it herself.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:14 pm "You're... you're a vampire, aren't you... you're the same Barnabas I knew when I was Josette... is that right?" Regardless of how he answers, Maggie goes with him into the basement,
Barnabas is pleased. "I knew I could not conceal the truth from you, my Josette." He leads her down to the basement, where two coffins lie side by side. "A brief moment of pain, my love, and then all eternity will be ours! A small sacrifice to make, to never walk in sun, to survive on the lives of others, in order to share endless nights together." He exposes long, sharp fangs.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:16 am

"I've met Sarah Collins a couple of times, in ghost form," says Victoria. "She was there last night, and she referred to Barnabas as her brother. That's how I know he's the same one who was around in the eighteenth century. The strange thing is, she seemed to already know me the first time I met her. Let's look around for anywhere the dust has been recently disturbed. That'll give her presence away." She examines the dust in the crypt, especially around the sarcophagi, careful not to disturb it herself.
"How extraordinary. Possibly her spectral form entered the mortal realm from some sort of parallel time. Such a thing is theoretically possible. I don't suppose you've ever experimented with the I Ching?"

During this conversation, Victoria notes that the middle lion's head carving is free of dust, unlike that covering the other two. She even has some sort of vague, dream-like feeling that she's encountered the thing before. Pulling on the ring on a hunch, that comes almost out of the subconscious, she discovers that the wall behind the middle sarcophagus opens with a rusty creak. Behind lies a secret chamber. Quickly examining the room, there is evidence that a large rectangular object rested upon the floor not so long ago, judging by the way the dust has been disturbed. The room is otherwise empty.

"An important historical discovery," Professor Stokes remarks. "There are indications in old accounts of the Revolutionary War that the Collins family supplied arms to the rebels from an unknown cache. I presume we are now standing where rifles and ammunition once lay. As interesting as that may be, it does not seem relevant to our current purpose."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Heart pounding, Maggie backs away from the two coffins. "I... I thought you were trying to become human again. Isn't that what Julia is trying to do for you?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I read a book once," says Victoria, "The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick, about a parallel timestream where the Axis powers won World War Two and occupied America. The I Ching figured prominently there, though I've never experimented with it myself. So perhaps there's some parallel timestream where I'm in the late eighteenth century with Sarah and Barnabas while they were still alive. This would make a useful hiding place, but obviously Carolyn is not here. Perhaps Barnabas and Willie use it. We'll have to look elsewhere. What about the House by the Sea? Does anyone live there?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:30 am
Heart pounding, Maggie backs away from the two coffins. "I... I thought you were trying to become human again. Isn't that what Julia is trying to do for you?"
Becoming angry, Barnabas says "Hoffman! That traitor! She wanted me all for herself. It was she who made me old! She who forced me to . . ." A bit calmer, he goes on, "do what I had to do. But that is over now. Come, my Josette."

He reaches for her throat.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:33 am
"I read a book once," says Victoria, "The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick, about a parallel timestream where the Axis powers won World War Two and occupied America. The I Ching figured prominently there, though I've never experimented with it myself. So perhaps there's some parallel timestream where I'm in the late eighteenth century with Sarah and Barnabas while they were still alive. This would make a useful hiding place, but obviously Carolyn is not here. Perhaps Barnabas and Willie use it. We'll have to look elsewhere. What about the House by the Sea? Does anyone live there?"
"Yes, there are indeed indications that the I Ching, used properly, might allow one to travel mentally through time and other dimensions.

"But for now, I suggest we make haste to the House by the Sea. I believe it has been unoccupied for some time, which would make it an excellent hiding place." He smiles slightly. "I may be a little old for breaking and entering, but I have not yet entirely lost my taste for adventure. After you, my dear?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:04 amBecoming angry, Barnabas says "Hoffman! That traitor! She wanted me all for herself. It was she who made me old! She who forced me to . . ." A bit calmer, he goes on, "do what I had to do. But that is over now. Come, my Josette."

He reaches for her throat.
"I'm not just Josette," Maggie says, still backing away. "I'm Maggie as well. I can't leave my Dad, he needs me. I still have a life. Barnabas, I..."
Vicki,Barnabas can probably tell - or may well assume - that Maggie was about to say "I love you." She was, but she's suddenly not sure - she loves her Dad, she loves her friends, like Vix - she dosn't love Burke exactly, but she likes to spend time with him. She [i]should[/i] love Barnabas if she was Josette, but something is missing. If Barnabas hesitates, she'll stay and talk with him, and try to work out what she is feeling - but if he keeps trying to grab for her, she'll flee (Dex 10, -3 because it's acting against Barnabas, I rolled 13, so she won't get very far).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let's go," says Victoria, leading the way.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Maggie,As you back away from Barnabas, Doctor Hoffman and Willie enter, both in a state of alarm. Willie, more or less to himself, says "Oh, I knew this was gonna happen . . ." Doctor Hoffman stands between you and Barnabas, and holds the large jeweled necklace she wears in front of your eyes. (Your attempt to resist involuntary hypnosis, based on WIS 9: 10) The last thing you remember is her voice saying "Forget . . . Forget . . ." Then even that fades from memory, along with your knowledge of Barnabas' true nature, or what you knew about the missing Carolyn Stoddard. You find yourself walking home, where you find your father, still obsessively painting Carolyn for some unknown reason, and looking paler than usual.
Victoria,At the House by the Sea, you find that the old building is in great need of repair, its windows covered with years of grime, the steps leading up to the front door rotting away. "Odd," Professor Stokes remarks, after testing the door. "Despite an overall state of decay elsewhere, there are new, strong locks. Shall we risk breaking a window, or seek out tools of the trade of burglary?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Feeling somewhat confused at the time, Maggie makes dinner, going to whatever lengths she has to to make sure her father eats some of it. "Are you feeling ok, Dad?" she asks him. "You don't look well."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Let's seek out some tools," says Victoria. "I'd rather not cause any damage. Someone might notice."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:37 am

Feeling somewhat confused at the time, Maggie makes dinner, going to whatever lengths she has to to make sure her father eats some of it. "Are you feeling ok, Dad?" she asks him. "You don't look well."
"Huh? Oh. Yeah, I'm fine," he mutters, while nibbling tiny bits of food. "Frustrated, I guess. I just can't seem to capture that special quality she has. I'm gonna keep working. Don't wait up."

The next day Maggie finds her father sound asleep, still wearing the same clothes he had on that evening, noticeably covered with dirt.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:42 am

"Let's seek out some tools," says Victoria. "I'd rather not cause any damage. Someone might notice."
"An excellent idea. I suggest we pay a call on the general store, and possibly the garage as well. In order to do so in a discrete manner, it will be necessary to avoid drawing attention to ourselves. Shall we pay separate visits to these establishments, obtaining the necessary items one by one? That will, of course, require a certain amount of time and patience."

The pair make their plans, delaying entering the House by the Sea by a day, as they balance their ordinary duties with the necessary errands. During this time, they become aware, thanks to the local gossips, that vandals have disturbed some of the graves at Eagle Hill Cemetery. Curiously, the criminals have been careful to conceal their activities as much as possible, although it is obvious that some graves have been dug up and then filled in again.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I wonder if one of the vampires is responsible for the graverobbing," Victoria tells the professor. "It would have been done at night, no doubt, though Barnabas could have always sent Willie. But why would they want to do it? They can't get blood that way."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Most curious indeed, my dear. Not at all the behavior one would expect from such persons, who are always careful to avoid drawing attention to themselves. I suggest we exercise caution during our excursions."

Having obtained the proper equipment, the pair return to the House by the Sea and begin work.
Spoiler:
DEX from both (9) to pick the lock, and to avoid drawing attention 2d20 = 2, 10 Partial success, but . . .
They are able to open the locked door, but the procedure creates more noise than they wish. As the door bangs open, they hear muffled shouts, unintelligible, coming from somewhere deep inside the house.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Quick, hide," whispers Victoria, quietly shutting the door, though keeping it unlocked, and looking around for a hiding place. She realizes that they may have found the hiding place of the graverobbers and not Carolyn.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
attempt to hide. You can tell me if you're hiding outside or inside. DEX 9, 2d20 = 18,13; oops, not good
Emerging from somewhere downstairs is, of all people, Willie Loomis. He spots the two intruders, opens his eyes wide, gets as close to them as he can, and says in a barely audible voice "Get outta here." He then retreats, turns his head, and yells "Everything's OK up here. Musta been the wind knockin' stuff around outside."

From below comes a man's voice, made hollow by the distance. "Never mind. Get back to work."

Willie heads back downstairs, waving the others away.

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1967 timeline)”