Laura

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of the Collinswood estate, and confront the endless mysteries that surround the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Laura

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

During the next several days, life at Collinwood goes back to normal, more or less, although there is some concern over the loss of employees to Burke's competing enterprise. When he's not on the phone, making business deals all over the globe, Burke can usually be found at the inn's diner, grabbing a cup of coffee and maybe a doughnut, or at the Blue Whale with a whiskey and maybe some of Collinsport's famous lobster and clam chowder. Given the small size of the town, inevitably he runs into just about everyone he knows, whether its trying to get more information out of Sam Evans over more than a few drinks, or even chatting to David, when he's allowed to accompany his cousin Carolyn on shopping trips. (She's more than glad to have Burke watch the boy for a while, and David thinks watching Carolyn shop for "girl stuff" is boring.)

He often asks Maggie out, and has dated Carolyn a few times, apparently seeing nothing wrong with stringing along more than one woman at a time. He even has the nerve to ask Victoria for a date, maybe to catch a romantic movie like the musical Camelot at the only theater in town. (His own taste seems to run to things like the new James Bond film, You Only Live Twice.)

One morning, while Victoria is at the diner, chatting with Maggie, a woman walks in, dressed as if she has been traveling. It's obvious that she bears a strong resemblance to the figure in Sam Evans' painting.

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 1 month

Re: Laura

Post by SunlessNick »

"Hold that thought," Maggie says to Vix, and shows the newcomer to a table, trying not to stare. "What can I get you?" she asks. "Today's special is fish, like every day's." When delivering whatever the woman orders, she'll add, "So what brings you to this neck of the woods?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 6 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria had politely turned down Burke, using the excuse that Maggie is her friend and that it wouldn't be right, though she's uncomfortable anywhere near him. When the woman enters, Victoria wonders if she had actually modeled for the painting.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Oh, anything at all will be fine," the woman says, vaguely. There is, in fact, something dreamy or distracted about her manner, as if she's always thinking about something else. After a longer pause than one might expect, she responds to Maggie's friendly question with "Oh. Yes. I used to live here." Another pause, then, with slightly more animation, "My son. Yes. My son lives here. I've come to see him."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Anyone I know?" Maggie asks. "I know almost everyone. Not many places people gather, you know?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm fairly new here myself," Victoria says. "I'm Victoria Winters. I'm the new governess for David Collins."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

In response to these friendly greetings, the woman answers, "Collins. Yes, I'm Laura Collins. David. Yes, David is my son. My dear son. I haven't seen him for so long. Does he talk about me, I wonder." After leisurely finishing her meal, without much interest, she rises, says, "I must go to him," and begins to leave.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Er, there's something I want to show you," Maggie blurts out. "It's not here, it's back at my place, if you're ok waiting till I get off." [Maggie means the painting of course, and will show it to Laura if she agrees to stay]
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Oh, yes, David has spoken of you," says Victoria to Laura. "He misses you very much, and he knew you would come for him. He's truly a delight. Why don't I go with you back to the house?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Certainly," she says to both women. "I have plenty of time. Lots and lots of time." She waits patiently, seemingly lost in a world of her own, until Maggie's shift ends.

At the Evans home, it appears that Sam only vaguely knows Laura from years ago; certainly not well enough to paint her so accurately the way she looks now. Examining the painting, she says "Flames. The flames are so beautiful." Pointing at the oddly empty part of the canvas, she adds "That will be filled in soon."

Eventually, the three women arrive at Collinwood (Maggie no doubt very curious as to how Roger will react to the return of his estranged wife.) Their reunion proves to be a polite, if not affectionate one. Roger assumes that Laura will want to see David right away, of course, but first she wants to sit by the great fireplace, staring into the roaring flames.

"You always did love a good fire," Roger remarks in a friendly manner. "Never understood why you'd want to move to Arizona, where there's rarely an excuse for one."

Informed that his mother has arrived, David rushes into her arms. The reunion is a tender one.

"Do you remember the story I used to tell you?" she asks.

"Sure," David replies. "The big, beautiful bird."

"Yes. The bird. Can you see her, there in the fire? Look, David, and you'll see all sorts of wonderful things there."

While this is going on, a messenger arrives with a telegram for Roger. He reads it, looks at Laura, then crumbles it up and tosses it in the wastebasket.

"Someone's idea of a joke," he mutters.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

If Maggie gets a chance to fish the telegram out without anyone seeing, she'll give it a go.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Is the bird a phoenix, by any chance?" asks Victoria. "That's the bird that rises from its own ashes, so it would make sense to see one in a fire. And Phoenix just happens to be the capital of Arizona," she adds. Like any good governess, she knows her geography.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: If Maggie gets a chance to fish the telegram out without anyone seeing, she'll give it a go.
Spoiler:
die roll[dice]0[/dice]
Despite taking all possible precautions, Roger just happens to step back into the room when Maggie reaches in to the wastebasket.

"May I ask exactly what you are doing, Miss Evans?" he asks, with one raised eyebrow.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: "Is the bird a phoenix, by any chance?" asks Victoria. "That's the bird that rises from its own ashes, so it would make sense to see one in a fire. And Phoenix just happens to be the capital of Arizona," she adds. Like any good governess, she knows her geography.
Never removing her gaze from the fire, Laura replies "Yes. The Phoenix. Such a wonderful story. Never dying, always rising again from the flames, reborn. Isn't that a lovely tale, David?"

David snuggles closer into his mother's arms.

Pouring himself another brandy while he waits for Maggie to respond, Roger says to Laura "I wasn't expecting you. You should have called or written. Is there any particular reason for this unannounced visit?"

"I've come for David."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria notices Laura's seeming obsession with fire. She wonders what will happen to her if Laura takes David away. Will Laura hire her to come with them, or will she be out of a job?
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

VictoriaSilverwolf wrote:"May I ask exactly what you are doing, Miss Evans?" he asks, with one raised eyebrow.

"Sorry, I needed something to scribble on, and I didn't want to bother you. Not with the reunion happening."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
Unexplained die roll[dice]0[/dice]
"I see. Well, carry on."

Having not noticed what exactly Maggie took out of the wastebasket, Roger continues to converse with wife and child. The gist of their conversation seems to be that Laura will occupy the Rose Cottage, a small but comfortable house on the estate, until such time as David is able to make what is a very important decision. Roger does not want to stand between mother and son, but David has spent much of his life at Collinwood. He will be allowed to spend much of his time, when not occupied with schoolwork, at the Rose Cottage, to see how he gets along with his mother after all this time.

Meanwhile, Maggie is able to sneak a peek at the telegram,
Spoiler:
It comes from the coroner's office of Phoenix, Arizona. It has today's date. REGRET INFORM LAURA COLLINS DIED FIRE TODAY WIRE FOR DETAILS.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Maggie initially dismisses the telegram, assuming it must be a mistake of some kind. Once she's back at home and sees the newly completed picture painted by Sam, she gets a more uneasy feeling and calls Victoria. "Vix, there's something I need to tell you. That telegram Mr Collins got. I had a look at it, and it said that Laura died in a fire. And, well. She's been gone a long time. What if this isn't really her?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"But everyone recognized her," says Victoria. "What if, somehow, it is her? What if she did die in a fire - or seemed to have - and then rose from the ashes like the Phoenix?"
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Life goes on much as usual while the two young women contemplate this mystery. Word that Laura Collins --or her look alike? -- is back in town reaches Burke Devlin, who is seen entering the Rose Cottage once in a while. David also spends a great deal of time there. He seems to find it quite comfortable, complaining that "the big mansion is too darn cold." At other times, he has to be retrieved from the Old House, despite multiple warnings to stay out. On one such occasion, Victoria overhears him say "What should I do, Josette? Gee, I sure wish you could talk."

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1967 timeline)”