Arrival

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of the Collinswood estate, and confront the endless mysteries that surround the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Arrival

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

A late night train pulls into the small station of the coastal town of Collinsport, Maine. Two passengers get off. One is a young woman, Victoria Winters. The other is a somewhat older man, Burke Devlin. Left alone at the deserted station, they introduce themselves, as strangers will. It seems that Victoria expected someone to meet her at the station, but no one has arrived. Burke has arranged for a taxi to carry him to the Collinsport Inn, so he offers Victoria a ride, and to share a cup of coffee at the inn's diner.

Working at the diner, as she does almost every day and night, is Maggie Evans, a vivacious young woman, quick to make friends and share a joke.

"So," she says to Victoria, "what brings you to this thriving metropolis?"

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years

Re: Arrival

Post by SunlessNick »

Maggie instinctively says "Hello" to Mr Devlin, before blinking. "I'm sorry, sir. I thought... can I get you anything?"
Last edited by SunlessNick on Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria Winters greets Maggie with a smile, relieved to see a friendly face. "Hi, my name's Victoria," she says. "I'm pleased to meet you. I've been hired as the new governess for young David Collins."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:Maggie instinctively says "Hello" to Mr Devlin, before blinking. "I'm sorry, sir. I thought... can I get you anything?"

"Just coffee, please, Miss." It's clear that Burke does not seem to know Maggie, although his careful glances and slight smiles at both young women reveal that he has an eye for the ladies.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
Victoria Winters greets Maggie with a smile, relieved to see a friendly face. "Hi, my name's Victoria," she says. "I'm pleased to meet you. I've been hired as the new governess for young David Collins."
This statement draws immediate attention from Burke.

"You're going to work at Collinswood? That's very interesting. Very interesting indeed. I'd love to hear all about your experiences there, particularly about David's father, Roger Collins. Perhaps we could have dinner sometime at the Blue Whale, after you've settled in for a while.

"Tell you what. I could hire a car right here in town, drive you up to Collinswood whenever you're ready. I'd like to take a look at the place myself, if you wouldn't mind."

(As a matter of common knowledge, it is possible to walk from Collinsport to Collinswood, although the path is rather steep and curvy.)

It is not immediately clear whether Burke is really interested in Collinswood, or just interested in a pretty face.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Ow wow, you're working at Collinswood?" Maggie says. "You'll have to give me all the dirt!" She smiles as she says the last bit, knowing that Victoria won't be able to do that.
Last edited by SunlessNick on Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria laughs. "Thank you for the warm welcome," she says, "and the offer of the ride. After I've finished my coffee, I'll take you up on that, Mr. Devlin."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Encouraged by Victoria's response, Burke quickly arranges for a rental car and makes the quick trip from Collinsport to the Collinswood estate. He points out the sights during the journey.

"There's Eagle Hill Cemetery," he explains as they set off. "Most of it is just for the ordinary folks here in town, but the Collins have their own mausoleum."

The road makes many tight turns and climbs steeply as they continue. It's only a few miles from Collinsport to the estate, but obviously it would be quite a hike.

At the top, he points out a cliff known as Widow's Hill. "Great view of the sea from there, but watch out. It's a long way down. See that thicket of trees? Beyond them is the old mansion. Goes back to the 18th century, but it's just a ruin these days. Ah, here we are."

The car stops before the imposing mansion.

"No doorbell, I'm afraid. You have to pound on the door." He smiles a bit. "Spooky place at night. Want me to go with you?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

When her shift is over, Maggie will turn in for the evening, still wondering about the sense of familiarity she felt with Mr Devlin. After making sure her Daddy has gotten to bed ok, of course - he's not always so good at that any more.
Last edited by SunlessNick on Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I suppose it wouldn't hurt if you walked me to the door," says Victoria, though she isn't really afraid.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote:When her shift is over, Maggie will turn in for the evening, still wondering about the sense of familiarity she felt with Mr Devlin. After making sure her Daddy has gotten to bed ok, of course - he's not always so good at that any more.
Sam Evans has been drinking heavily at the Blue Whale, which is not at all unusual these days. Half asleep, he listens to Maggie's casual remarks about meeting Burke Devlin. This draws his drunken attention.

"Devlin's back in town? Tha's not good. Not so good for your old Pop, and maybe worse for Roger Collins. Gimme a piece o' paper anna pencil, willya, hun?"

Eyes almost closed, Sam produces a quick sketch of an automobile which has been badly dented in some kind of accident. He falls asleep and snores loudly, dropping the paper to the ground.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote:
"I suppose it wouldn't hurt if you walked me to the door," says Victoria, though she isn't really afraid.
With a grin, Burke strides to the door and beats his fist against it several times. He takes the liberty of standing, waiting for an answer, instead of bidding Victoria goodnight. The door swings open with a loud creak . . .
Spoiler:
Be sure to tune in tomorrow for our next exciting episode!
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Maggie makes sure her father is in bed, then carefully folds up the paper and keeps it. Later, when she has a chance, she will visit the library to look for newspaper articles about car crashes in town.

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1967 timeline)”