Barnabas

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of the Collinswood estate, and confront the endless mysteries that surround the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Re: Barnabas

Post by SunlessNick »

Maggie joins Vix in the effort. When she catches sight of the door, she calls out "Dad?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Reviving sufficiently to perceive Barnabas' plight, Doctor Hoffman weakly chokes out a few words.

"Three cc's . . ."

Carolyn rushes out of the downstairs room, dashing past the others and out the front door. No sounds are heard from below.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria quickly takes a syringe and injects Barnabas with three cubic centimeters of its contents.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Torn between Barnabas and her father, Maggie waits long enough to see Vix give Barnabas the injection, then takes off running to the metal door and down, desperately hoping Carolyn hasn't killed her father (but fearfully sure that she has).
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Upon receiving the dose, Barnabas first reacts with spasms of pain, gripping his temples as if his head would explode. Then, as time itself were reversing, what seemed to be a man well over as century old reverts to his more familiar form. Still somewhat weak, he gasps for breath, leaning against the wall.

"Carolyn. Too strong to control. Must stop."

Maggie discovers her father alive but unconscious, a wound on his neck oozing blood. He is able to be roused sufficiently to stand on his feet while the wound is treated.

By this time, Willie has returned from hiding, in an agitated state.

"Oh, jeez, this is awful. Barnabas, Doc, what are we gonna do?"

He heads downstairs to help Sam.

"You're gonna be OK, pal, just take it easy--"

As he offers to take the man's arm, Sam suddenly lashes out at him with surprising strength, sending him stumbling back.

"Where is she? I have to go to her!"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria moves away from Barnabas so as to spare him the pain from her crucifix. "How do we stop her?" she asks. "The crucifix can keep her at bay, and maybe Dr. Hoffman's injections can help her control herself, I suppose. We'll need to find a more permanent cure. I don't want to have to drive a stake through her heart." Then she hears Sam call out from below. "He's under her influence, just like Joe."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"She's gone, Daddy," Maggie says desperately. "You have to rest now, please, trust me. Don't think about her. I'm sorry Willie - I'm sorry I didn't listen to you."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"She must have some other resting place, hidden somewhere not far from Collinwood," Barnabas replies. "Willie, go to the crypt. You know what you must bring back."

"Please, Barnabas, don't make me do that--"

"Willie!"

The unusual force in Barnabas' voice causes Willie to slink away upon his unwelcome errand.

"It is nearly sunrise," he continues, in a more normal tone of voice. "I must go." He retreats quickly downstairs, into the room behind the metal door.

Doctor Hoffman, somewhat recovered, is able to retrieve another vial of liquid from her bag and surreptitiously administer a sedative to the struggling Sam. He grows calm enough to be controlled.

"You better take him home, and keep watch over him, particularly at night," she says. "He should be safe during the day."

At some time during that day, Roger Collins and Elizabeth Stoddard ask Victoria if they know what has become of Carolyn, who did not return home the night before. Given her escapades in the past, they are more curious than overly worried.

"She's probably lying in a ditch somewhere, bleeding to death," David suggests facetiously. His elders, as usual, merely sigh at another example of his frequent, feeble attempts at macabre humor.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"I'm not sure where she's gone," says Victoria, which is true, "but I'll be sure to keep an eye out for her." She goes to join up with Maggie and Dr. Hoffman to plan what to do next.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Maggie puts Sam to bed when she gets home. She leaves some of his art supplies around in his room, hoping it might impel him to paint Carolyn rather than go looking for her. She also calls in sick to work, so she can keep an eye on him.

When Vix and Julia arrive, they find her sobbing. "This is all my fault. I made Dad go there, because of that painting. If I'd just taken it myself... or something... she's going to come after him. Or Joe. Is Joe all right?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

In conference with Doctor Hoffman, Victoria and Maggie learn that the situation is more difficult than imagined.

"By now, I'm sure you have a greater understanding of Barnabas' . . . condition," she begins. "At first, my treatments were sufficiently effective to prevent this from becoming a serious problem. Now, however, he is developing resistance to the serum. I dare not increase the dosage. The result would be . . . well, let's just say that there have already been unpleasant side effects.

"Mister Haskell is now in intensive care, so he should be safe for the moment. Mister Evans is more worrisome. For the moment, I believe he is sufficiently occupied with his work that physical restraint is not necessary."

Indeed, Sam Evans has spent his days sleeping, thanks to a combination of alcohol and sedatives, and his nights feverishly painting portraits of an alabaster-skinned, red-eyed Carolyn Stoddard, in a manner better suited to the pages of Playboy than the local art gallery.

"I have not seen Willie Loomis for some time, and Barnabas will not discuss what task he has in mind for the poor fellow. I have my suspicions, but no proof. Barnabas has become increasingly hostile. And to think I once imagined he and I . . . well, no matter. If he no longer enjoys my company, Miss Evans, perhaps you might be able to provide a calming effect. The way he stares at your portrait for hours at a time . . .

"There are two men in Collinsport that I have considered consulting. Doctor Eric Lang is a brilliant surgeon, with interest in the more . . . unusual aspects of medicine. Then there is Professor Timothy Stokes, a scholar with great knowledge of the . . . unique. I'm not sure how to approach them, however. Both are highly respected professionals, and my reputation in Collinsport, well . . ."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We may have better luck," says Victoria. "I haven't been around here long enough to have much of a reputation. Perhaps we should speak to Professor Stokes first. He may know better how to deal with...vampires, for want of a better word. All I know about them is from popular culture, and that might not have much to do with reality. I was able to keep them away with a crucifix, but I didn't know that it actually caused them pain. Carolyn may respond better to the serum, as she hasn't built up a tolerance to it yet. That would buy time to find a more permanent solution."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I've met most people in town," Maggie says. "I might be able to wheedle a listen out of them at least."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Professor Timothy Stokes proves to be a man in his late fifties, of refined manner, with the accent of a Boston Brahmin. At times, while examining a document, he even affects a monocle. Through her connection with the prestigious Collins family, Victoria, through the good graces of Elizabeth Stoddard, is able to secure an interview with that gentleman in his modest home, which is full of curious objects.

"It is not often that I am graced with such charming company," he says, when Victoria arrives at the appointed time. "More often my time is spent with dusty books and equally dusty colleagues. A glass of sherry, my dear? I might claim that it is my only vice, but I doubt you would believe me."
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Maggie knows a few people who swear that Doctor Eric Lang can work miracles, although they all agree that his bedside manner leaves much to be desired. With the help of their recommendations, she is able to arrange for an appointment with the physician at his small private clinic. He proves to be a intense, brusque man of late middle years, clearly impatient and avoiding all attempts at small talk.

"Well, what is it, young woman? My time is valuable, you know."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Professor," says Victoria, "but I'm a little too young to have a drink." She is sure that many of his undergraduate students are in the same position, though chances are some of them drink anyway. "I was hoping to talk to you about myths and legends of vampires."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Thanks for seeing me, Doctor," Maggie says. "it's about a friend of mine-" (not entirely untrue, since Carolyn had been friendly to Maggie before all this) - -who's come down with a... blood disease I guess. She's having to drink it, and she's not good in the daytime. Almost like a vampire," she adds with a slight grimace, so she can pass it off as a bad joke if he greets the idea with scorn. "It's so freaky a thing, and I didn't want to go to anyone less than... you know," and that part to brush his ego.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Mr. Handy wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:32 pm

"Thank you, Professor," says Victoria, "but I'm a little too young to have a drink." She is sure that many of his undergraduate students are in the same position, though chances are some of them drink anyway. "I was hoping to talk to you about myths and legends of vampires."
"Really? How extraordinary. There are so many young people these days who acquire all their information on the subject from the cinema. There is, of course, a wealth of documentation regarding vampirism, much of it nonsense, some of it not entirely without interest to the serious student of the subject. What is it that you find so intriguing about the phenomenon?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

SunlessNick wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:12 am

"Thanks for seeing me, Doctor," Maggie says. "it's about a friend of mine-" (not entirely untrue, since Carolyn had been friendly to Maggie before all this) - -who's come down with a... blood disease I guess. She's having to drink it, and she's not good in the daytime. Almost like a vampire," she adds with a slight grimace, so she can pass it off as a bad joke if he greets the idea with scorn. "It's so freaky a thing, and I didn't want to go to anyone less than... you know," and that part to brush his ego.
"Hmmm. Sounds like one of Hoffman's little experiments gone awry. Assuming this isn't your idea of a practical joke, you can tell her that she can't expect any help from me unless she aids me in my own project. She'll know what I mean. As for your friend, if she really exists, bring her in and I'll try to find time to take a look at her. Good day." He rises and directs Maggie to the door.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"Wait, please!" Maggie pleads. "Julia's been trying to come up with a treatment, but it's failing. And it's not just my friend. Barnabas Collins has the same problem. You know I'd know better than to make rich folks like the Collinses part of a joke like this. We need your help."

(Maggie makes a very very slight pause after the word rich).

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1967 timeline)”