Cassandra

Enter the haunted world of the classic television series. Become one of the residents of the Collinswood estate, and confront the endless mysteries that surround the Collins family.

Moderator: VictoriaSilverwolf

Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Re: Cassandra

Post by Mr. Handy »

"We need to meet up with Maggie and Professor Stokes as soon as we can," says Victoria. "It will take all of us working together to prevail. Barnabas didn't live to be two hundred years old by being a pushover." She gives Maggie a call.
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
(viewforum.php?f=176)The Terror Out of Time
(viewforum.php?f=191)]The Ninth Planet
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
The Horror in the Blackout
The Masque of Nyarlathotep
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by VictoriaSilverwolf »

Sam sighs. "Yeah, that's the story in a nutshell. It was a lot of things. I was pretty smashed myself when I saw the car run into that poor guy, rest his soul. I wasn't sure what I saw. I thought I saw Roger driving, but I could have been wrong. Roger convinced me Burke was driving. Then he offered to buy a bunch of my paintings for a lot more cash than they were worth. What with you just a kid, and your mother in her grave, I guess I just panicked on the witness stand. I thought I was doing the right thing to say that Burke was driving. Maybe I believed it myself. But if Peterson stirs things up, it could mean trouble."

David is eager to get things started. His behavior is impeccable for a day or so, earning him a bit more freedom than usual from his father.

"I believe you're a good influence on the boy," Roger admits.

"I told you so," Elizabeth adds.

"The little sneak must be up to something," Carolyn suggests. "He's never that good."

Cassandra offers what is becoming a very familiar silvery laugh.

"Yes," she says, directly to Victoria, her moon-pale eyes wide open. "What are you two plotting?"

Meanwhile, Professor Stokes calls the house and asks to speak to Victoria, asking her when and where they should all meet.
Seeming to be always around somewhere when Victoria is on the phone, or talking to one of the members of the family, she asks, "A boyfriend?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by SunlessNick »

"I see Burke around sometimes. Maybe I can talk him round - make him see Roger Collins is the bad guy."

When Victoria calls, Maggie seems a little distracted, but also pleased to hear from her. "Hi, Vix. What's up?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Hi, Maggie," says Victoria. "I'd like to get together with you and catch up on things. I'll be bringing a couple of friends too. We can talk there. Shall we all meet at the Blue Whale?" While she waits for a reply, she covers the mouthpiece with her hand and answers Cassandra. "No, just a friend."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"That'd be great," Maggie says.
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

The necessary arrangements are made to have everyone show up at the Blue Whale at a convenient time. It is not unusual for Victoria to accompany David into town on some errand or another, so he is able to show up as well. (It's also not unusual for young people to accompany adults into the place, given the informal nature of the Blue Whale, as long as none of them try to buy a beer.) Finding a quiet corner far from the jukebox, the assembled persons begin discussions.

"First of all," Professor Stokes begins, indicating David, "exactly how much does this young man know?"
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Meanwhile, having met with Burke Devlin, you find out that he agrees that Roger is the real culprit. "I should give your old man a swift kick in the pants for testifying against me, but I guess that wouldn't do anybody any good. I've got my own way of dealing with Mister High-and-Mighty Roger Collins." It also turns out that he did not hire Tony Peterson, and doesn't know what the lawyer is up to.

Meanwhile, you've observed frequent visits from Tony Peterson, who always arrives when Roger is in town, at his office in the Collins Fishing Fleet and Cannery. He generally briefly talks to Elizabeth about the business, than spends more time with Cassandra, usually in the gazebo that serves as the centerpiece of the the formal garden.
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"My memory's all in a mess," Maggie says in response to Stoke's question. "Maybe if you and Vix just lay out out so all of us know all of it."

Maggie kisses Burke for the news. "Thankyou. He's kicked himself a lot for it already." She doesn't speculate with Burke who Peterson might be working for, though she's certainly left thinking about it. (If Burke picks this as a moment to try going further than dances and kisses, Maggie would let him, though she'd take it as him exacting a price for leaving Sam alone).
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

Victoria fills in Maggie on all the details. "Josette was the love of Barnabas's life," she says. "Maggie, you're the spitting image of her. I think he's in love with you too, and he thinks of you as Josette. If you were able to fall in love with him too, it could break his curse. He could be human again, and no longer a vampire."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

Maggie runs her hand through her hair. "Fall in love with him? I... that's a lot." She stops, several conflicted expressions running across her face. "I'm scared of him. But... I mean could that really fix him? It's not like I could say no."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"It wouldn't be easy, you're right," says Victoria. "We can't even choose whether or not to fall in love, it just happens, whether we're ready for it or not. Barnabas is frightening, but he was also a good man once who fell into tragic circumstances. He killed Carolyn and turned her into a vampire, and we were able to restore her to humanity with sunlight. Professor Stokes told me that that can work on a newly turned vampire, but not on one as ancient as Barnabas. Sunlight would just destroy him. But he also thought of the possible way to restore him to humanity."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

At this point in the conversation, Cassandra and Roger Collins enter the Blue Whale, and immediately catch sight of those gathered at the far table.

"I told Roger we'd find you all here," she remarks.

"My love, you have the most remarkable intuition," Roger responds. He seems quite smitten with his bride.

"Now what are you conspiring about," Cassandra asks, "and who is this distinguished gentleman with you? I don't think we've been introduced."

Professor Stokes stands, takes the gloved hand Cassandra offers him, and, in proper continental style, bows over it.

"Timothy Stokes, Mrs. Collins. I could not be more charmed to make your acquaintance. Your reputation as a gracious addition to Collinwood proceeds you."

"Such flattery!"

As if invited, Roger and Cassandra take seats at the table.

"I trust my son hasn't been filling your heads with his nonsense about spooks and goblins," Roger remarks.

"Perhaps it's not such nonsense," Cassandra says. "I have the feeling Miss Winters -- may I call you Victoria? -- knows all about such things. Don't you, my dear?"
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"It's a good town for nonsense about spooks and goblins," Maggie says with creditable brightness.
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Thank you, Cassandra," says Victoria, "though I wouldn't consider myself an expert. Professor Stokes is far more knowledgeable than I am."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

Spoiler:
unexplained die rolld20
Much polite conversation follows, until Roger insists that it is time for David to come home. Perhaps surprisingly, the boy agrees, and leaves the Blue Whale gripping the hand of his stepmother. After calling for another glass of sherry, Professor Stokes speaks quietly.

"Even at my age, I am appreciative of the charms of lovely young ladies, present company included. However, there is far more to Mrs. Collins than a pretty face. The way she commands one's attention with those extraordinary eyes. Fortunately, I was able to pull myself out of their depths and remember that there are sinister forces at work in Collinsport. I would be careful about what I say around Mrs. Collins, and I would keep careful watch over her.

"Back to the business at hand. One cannot expect unfeigned affection to spring within one's heart at command. Therefore, it seems to me that 'curing' Barnabas Collins, for lack of a better term, in that manner is out of the question. Much more practical is the possibility of rendering him harmless. We have seen that whatever power Doctor Hoffman possesses over his condition is hardly reliable. I suspect that it is a temporary solution, at best, and may backfire, as it did in the case of Miss Stoddard. If worse comes to worse, we may be forced to consider Barnabas as an enemy to be destroyed, rather than as a sufferer to be relieved.

"I welcome any suggestions that may occur to you."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Burke Devlin certainly enjoys your company, but at times he seems distracted by his obsession with the Collins family. "I'd still like to figure out what's going on with that Barnabas character. What he gets up to when he disappears for days at a time with the lady doctor and the guy that works for him. I've got a private eye working on it. Ha. Sounds like some kind of mystery novel, but it's really a lot less Mickey Spillane and a lot more routine footwork and paperwork."

On another date, he remarks, "My man hasn't found out too much yet, but he knows that the three of them spend a lot a time at the place they call the House by the Sea. Seems that old moneybags Barnabas took out a lease on the place just a while back. They keep the place sealed up as tight as a drum. I'd love to know what's going on up there, but they're hardly likely to welcome me. Barnabas knows I've got a grudge against his family." d20

Back at Collinwood, David seems to have lost some of his enthusiasm for dealing with Barnabas Collins, and instead spends a great deal of time with his stepmother, much to the delight of his father. The two often take long walks together, even after sunset. One strange thing happening at Collinwood, according to Mrs. Johnson, the housekeeper, is the disappearance of food from the kitchen.

"Soon as I'm busy elsewhere, then Poof! There's a ham or a box of crackers gone! Enough to turn my hair gray, if it weren';t already."
SunlessNick
Keeper
Keeper

Post by SunlessNick »

"I'm no pro at this, but I can try to find out," Maggie says. "Did your guy tell you where this place was?"

"Does Barnabas want to be human again?" Maggie asks. "Does he know he could be turned back like this - what if we tell him?" After whatever answer that gets, she also says, "Something Burke Devlin told me. Barnabas has a place called the House by the Sea, where goes with Dr Hoffman when he's out of town. Burke wants to know what's going on there, and it might help us too. If we pick a time when Barnabas is in town."
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"Professor Stokes and I went to the House by the Sea when we were searching for Carolyn," says Victoria. "She wasn't there, but Willie was, and he saw us and warned us away. I think Barnabas was inside at the time. I think it's worth a try talking to him, explaining how he can become human again and asking him if that's what he wants. The only other way would be to put him down, the way you would with a rabid dog. I hope we don't have to do that."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"I suspect there's more going on at the House by the Sea than meets the eye," Professor Stokes. "I am of two minds as to whether a direct approach might be best -- simply show up at the place and announce ourselves and demand to be shown inside -- or if a more stealthy approach, although it was not very effective last time, might be worth another try. One might also keep the place under surveillance for a while, although that would involve some delay in action. What do you think, ladies?"
Mr. Handy
Admin
Admin

Post by Mr. Handy »

"The longer we wait," says Victoria, "the less self-control Barnabas will have as he builds up a tolerance to Dr. Hoffman's treatment. He could kill again. I'm in favor of the direct approach, as soon as possible."
Doctor Who/CoC Campaign:
The Shadow Over Dunwich
The Brotherhood of Death
VictoriaSilverwolf
Keeper
Keeper

"Very well. We knock on the door politely, long enough that we make a nuisance of ourselves. The worst that can happen is that they refuse to let us in. Well, that's not really the worst that can happen, but that doesn't bear thinking about. Let us arrive in the morning, so that we have the advantage of daylight on our side for as long as possible."

This plan undertaken, the group arrives early one bright, sunny day. After knocking on the front door for quite some time, the familiar face of Willie Loomis appears as the door opens a crack.

"What do you want? You shouldn't be here."

"Curiosity, my good man," Professor Stokes says casually. "I was just interested in whosoever might be in residence here, as the place has been empty for quite some time." He makes a gesture to push the door open.
Spoiler:
d20
However, Willie holds it firm. "You can't come in. I'm workin'."

From somewhere inside comes a man's voice, unknown to the visitors.

"Who's there, Willie?"

"Nobody. Just some kids playin' a prank, I guess." Willie shuts the door.

"Mysteries upon mysteries," Professor Stokes remarks. "Shall I knock again, until this other individual comes to confront us?"

Return to “Groovy Ghastly Affair: Dark Shadows (1967 timeline)”